Iwata-3DS continues to struggle

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts
At a recent shareholders meeting, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata admitted that 3DS sales have gotten off to a slow start and that the lack of a solid software lineup is likely the reason. Iwata said in the meeting that the new portable game system "continues to struggle," and believes that it would have sold better if the launch lineup had been better prepared. I think we all know that the system has mediocre games at best with it's 2 best games being ports, but what do you think of the Iwata's comments? full article here: http://www.dailytech.com/3DS+Sales+Unimpressive+Nintendo+President+Says+Poor+Launch+Lineup+is+the+Cause/article22120.htm I'm actually kind of happy because of this comment: "Having learned its lesson, Nintendo is taking every necessary precaution to ensure that the same thing doesn't happen to the Wii U. "
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#2 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
History repeating itself; its the DS all over again.
Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

History repeating itself; its the DS all over again. bbkkristian

So you know better than Iwata?

DS had the holiday season. An unprepared launch in spring was a bad idea.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Heil68
History repeating itself; its the DS all over again. bbkkristian
Why wouldn't they of learned from the DS then? Seems like they are going to address it with the WiiU at least. Seems rather odd.
Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#5 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

At a recent shareholders meeting, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata admitted that 3DS sales have gotten off to a slow start and that the lack of a solid software lineup is likely the reason. Iwata said in the meeting that the new portable game system "continues to struggle," and believes that it would have sold better if the launch lineup had been better prepared. I think we all know that the system has mediocre games at best with it's 2 best games being ports, but what do you think of the Iwata's comments? full article here: http://www.dailytech.com/3DS+Sales+Unimpressive+Nintendo+President+Says+Poor+Launch+Lineup+is+the+Cause/article22120.htm I'm actually kind of happy because of this comment: "Having learned its lesson, Nintendo is taking every necessary precaution to ensure that the same thing doesn't happen to the Wii U. "Heil68
But the Zelda was to sell 3 million more units...what happened??

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bbkkristian

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]History repeating itself; its the DS all over again. Bread_or_Decide

Ah did not know that.

Teh More You Know!

Well, wait till the holidays for moms to pick one up for their kid. ;)

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Bread_or_Decide

[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"]

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]History repeating itself; its the DS all over again. bbkkristian

Ah did not know that.

Teh More You Know!

Well, wait a few months for some games and it will start to pick up

It'll pick up of course but all signs point to a dissapointment over all. No way will it ever match DS sales. There's a new cell phone coming out with glasses free 3D as well. Rumors that the new iphone may have it. The 3DS's most special feature is becoming less special.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#9 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Coolyfett

Really? It was? Who said that? Where did they say that? Do you have any links? Or are you just making things up?

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Coolyfett

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]History repeating itself; its the DS all over again. Bread_or_Decide

But but The DS sold million so surely the 3DS is to repeat RIGHT???

timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#11 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

[QUOTE="Heil68"][QUOTE="bbkkristian"]History repeating itself; its the DS all over again. Coolyfett

Why wouldn't they of learned from the DS then? Seems like they are going to address it with the WiiU at least. Seems rather odd.

Zelda OoT was suppose to help Nintendo sell at least 3 million more units. It was the ultimate SYSTEM SELLER according to all the 3DS fans. Are you sure about this news?

No one said that. >_>

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Heil68

[QUOTE="Heil68"][QUOTE="bbkkristian"]History repeating itself; its the DS all over again. Coolyfett

Zelda OoT was suppose to help Nintendo sell at least 3 million more units. It was the ultimate SYSTEM SELLER according to all the 3DS fans. Are you sure about this news?

I never thought a 13 year old game would be a significant system seller, a new Zelda game however would be.
timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 timmy00

[QUOTE="Coolyfett"]

charizard1605

Really? It was? Who said that? Where did they say that? Do you have any links? Or are you just making things up?

He loves making things up. :P

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bbkkristian
[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]History repeating itself; its the DS all over again. Heil68

People who don't learn their history are doomed to repeat it.
Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Coolyfett

[QUOTE="Coolyfett"]

[QUOTE="Heil68"] Why wouldn't they of learned from the DS then? Seems like they are going to address it with the WiiU at least. Seems rather odd. timmy00

No one said that. >_>

So Zelda failed to do its job then?

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bbkkristian

[QUOTE="timmy00"]

[QUOTE="Coolyfett"]Zelda OoT was suppose to help Nintendo sell at least 3 million more units. It was the ultimate SYSTEM SELLER according to all the 3DS fans. Are you sure about this news?

Coolyfett

No one said that. >_>

It can't fail a job it was never given. :|

timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 timmy00

[QUOTE="timmy00"]

[QUOTE="Coolyfett"]Zelda OoT was suppose to help Nintendo sell at least 3 million more units. It was the ultimate SYSTEM SELLER according to all the 3DS fans. Are you sure about this news?

Coolyfett

No one said that. >_>

Wut?

Stop herping the derp dude.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Bread_or_Decide

[QUOTE="Coolyfett"]

[QUOTE="Heil68"] Why wouldn't they of learned from the DS then? Seems like they are going to address it with the WiiU at least. Seems rather odd. timmy00

No one said that. >_>

Yes they did.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
"lack of a solid software lineup is likely the reason" - for me 3D is the reason... Its terrible.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Heil68
[QUOTE="Heil68"][QUOTE="bbkkristian"]History repeating itself; its the DS all over again. bbkkristian

Should we believe Iwata and think the Wiiu launch line up will be much better? I sure hope so.
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Bread_or_Decide

[QUOTE="Coolyfett"]

[QUOTE="timmy00"]No one said that. >_>

bbkkristian

It can't fail a job it was never given. :|

Fans said that portarina of flop would pick up sales of the 3DS. It did...just a little...nothing really earth shattering.
1stPlaceWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#24 1stPlaceWinner
Member since 2010 • 1120 Posts
i'm sure 3DS fans still think this will destroy in sales even though it's been underachieving lately.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bbkkristian
[QUOTE="timmy00"]

Bread_or_Decide

No one said that. >_>

Yes they did.

Link? :lol:
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Bread_or_Decide
[QUOTE="Heil68"][QUOTE="bbkkristian"][QUOTE="Heil68"] Why wouldn't they of learned from the DS then? Seems like they are going to address it with the WiiU at least. Seems rather odd.

Should we believe Iwata and think the Wiiu launch line up will be much better? I sure hope so.

I foresee a plethora of ports from games that come out this year for the HD twins. "OH MY GAWD ARKHAM CITY BUT ON WII U WITH WII TABLET FUNCTIONALITY!!!"
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JohnF111
[QUOTE="timmy00"]

Bread_or_Decide

No one said that. >_>

Yes they did.

I second that, in fact someone made a thread stating how 3DS was finally taking off due to Zelda and i think it lasted about a week and the rush was gone.
timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 timmy00

[QUOTE="timmy00"]

Bread_or_Decide

No one said that. >_>

Yes they did.

So someone said that it'll sell at least 3 million more units and be the ultimate system seller?

I highly doubt it.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

Well, Nintendo has a lot more sales than they would have at this point if they were waiting for the holiday season to release the 3DS. It will also have a much better lineup when the holiday season rolls around.
Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

A game thats a decade+ old is the 3DS's killer app. An idiot could have seen the 3DS struggling.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

According to Pachter, the 3DS bounced up to 165,000 unit sales in June [link]. Still pretty dismal, and way below all the home consoles, but better than the 97K it put up in May.

It's interesting that, in America, the DS is way outselling the 3DS with 290,000 units. But in Japan, the DS is clearly dying off. While big software releases will definitely help, I don't see DS all over again --- I don't think people in the West want to pay $250 for a handheld console. Maybe when it comes down to $199 in the future people will be more receptive.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Bread_or_Decide

[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"][QUOTE="timmy00"]No one said that. >_>

bbkkristian

Yes they did.

I was in the thick of 3DS fanboys. They did tout Portarina of Flop as a system seller.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

It was stupid to release the 3DS with such a terrible lineup. Can't say I blame most people for not picking one up yet, I haven't either.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 bbkkristian
[QUOTE="Heil68"][QUOTE="bbkkristian"][QUOTE="Heil68"] Why wouldn't they of learned from the DS then? Seems like they are going to address it with the WiiU at least. Seems rather odd.

I believe them, lets give them a test like in school. :P I wanna make sure that its release games are golden (AHEM Super Smash Bros)
timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 timmy00

[QUOTE="timmy00"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"] Really? It was? Who said that? Where did they say that? Do you have any links? Or are you just making things up?

Coolyfett

He loves making things up. :P

Dont be bitter, 3DS fans said that the Zelda game would sell 3 million more 3DS units/systems....Coolyfett wants to know how many it actually sold, why are people dodging this question. HOW MANY UNITS SOLD BECAUSE OF ZELDA??? Tell us now!

Why would I be bitter? I don't even have a 3DS yet. >_>

How the fudge should I know? >_> Do the research yourself.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 bbkkristian

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"][QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"] Yes they did.Bread_or_Decide

I was in the thick of 3DS fanboys. They did tout Portarina of Flop as a system seller.

No Link = false!!! :o System Seller = 3 million units? I think its a system seller, but I don't have any idea how it can sell 3 million.
timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 timmy00

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"][QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"] Yes they did.Bread_or_Decide

So basically you don't know and you're just trying to flamebait people?

Well that's good to know. :)

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Heil68
[QUOTE="bbkkristian"][QUOTE="Heil68"][QUOTE="bbkkristian"] People who don't learn their history are doomed to repeat it.

I believe them, lets give them a test like in school. :P I wanna make sure that its release games are golden (AHEM Super Smash Bros)

I actually want the WiiU to better than the Wii in every single way and you have to start off right and that's with the games. If anything the 3DS shows once again that hardware will struggle when software is lacking.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Heil68

[QUOTE="Heil68"][QUOTE="Coolyfett"]Zelda OoT was suppose to help Nintendo sell at least 3 million more units. It was the ultimate SYSTEM SELLER according to all the 3DS fans. Are you sure about this news?

Coolyfett

I never thought a 13 year old game would be a significant system seller, a new Zelda game however would be.

Ohh ok so now a new Zelda game is a system seller, but Oot is not. Cool got it.

I would like to think that. I guess a good indicator will be when the new Mario game comes out in Fall. I have to think that will totally obliterate OoT sales.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 JohnF111

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"] Link? :lol:bbkkristian

No Link = false!!! :o System Seller = 3 million units? I think its a system seller, but I don't have any idea how it can sell 3 million.

Enjoy and read the posts, not just TC.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Bread_or_Decide

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"] Link? :lol:timmy00

So basically you don't know and you're just trying to flamebait people?

Well that's good to know. :)

I'm not going to search through a million 3DS threads I was in for one stupid quote.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 bbkkristian

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"][QUOTE="Heil68"] Should we believe Iwata and think the Wiiu launch line up will be much better? I sure hope so.Heil68

I actually want the WiiU to better than the Wii in every single way and you have to start off right and that's with the games. If anything the 3DS shows once again that hardware will struggle when software is lacking.

Agreed, the two are very intertwined and like Bread said, the hardware is starting to show up in cell phones now. Nintendo's gotta step their game up! :x

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 JohnF111
[QUOTE="Coolyfett"]

[QUOTE="Heil68"] I never thought a 13 year old game would be a significant system seller, a new Zelda game however would be.Heil68

I would like to think that. I guess a good indicator will be when the new Mario game comes out in Fall. I have to think that will totally obliterate OoT sales.

Mario :lol: Mario is a joke in SW these days, it's like Nintendo just saying "Oh just make a new Mario that'll shut them up!". Its hilarious how dependant on Mario ninty is.
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Bread_or_Decide
[QUOTE="Coolyfett"]

[QUOTE="Heil68"] I never thought a 13 year old game would be a significant system seller, a new Zelda game however would be.Heil68

New games out sell ports. No big surprise there.
coltgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50 coltgames
Member since 2009 • 2120 Posts

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]History repeating itself; its the DS all over again. bbkkristian

Ah did not know that.

Teh More You Know!

Well, wait till the holidays for moms to pick one up for their kid. ;)

i think your right the test will be in the holidays i just dont think the parents who buy the DS for there kids see or notice the difference between it and a 3DS I think the original DS will still outperform the 3DS

now that i think about it i still dont know the difference between the two other then one has 3d and i think a camera?