Iwata-3DS continues to struggle

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shadow2k6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#301 Shadow2k6
Member since 2005 • 2283 Posts

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]History repeating itself; its the DS all over again. blackace
Yeah, but the DS was hugely successful. A repeat of that wouldn't be a bad thing for the Wii U. The 3DS is a different story, but that could turn around as well once better software is released.

DS had a slow start. Outside of a N64 port (sound familar?) it had no killer apps for a while.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#302 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

[QUOTE="bobcheeseball"]I dunno, OoT 3DS is 2nd Worldwide this week in sales, and it DID in fact spike the 3DS sales, just not like a killer app would. I don't think is as big as a blow people are making it to seem. A remake of a 13 year old game doesn't have quite the same appeal as say, Mario Kart 3DS. If Mario Kart or Mario 3DS don't move units, then the 3DS is in trouble.ratchet_usa

3ds needs a killer app badly. Everybody already played oot, and I don't think anybody will pay $249 just to replay an old game from the 90's.

I haven't played it....
mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#303 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts

The original DS sales were not horrible at launch nor its first year. It was already out pacing the GBA without any killer aps for more than a year. It took Mario Kart and Nintendogs with the simultaneous DS lite to sky rocket the system.

The 3DS is trying to repeat the DS success and launch plan, even down the the game releases. Except this time, the 3ds has two huge differences that hault that same process.

A)The 3d. If people don't get the "3d" aspect of the system, then whats the point of getting one? The touche screen for the DS was easy to understand because of the interaction, the 3D on the other hand has no such promise. We have yet to see 3D elevate any game on any platform.

B) The biggest issue imo is the 250price tag. People look at the launch and say how bad it was but honestly there have been a lot worse console/handheld launches. The difference this time is the price point. 250 is just too much, and too expensive with bad timing. I used to believe that Nintendo would not release a re-vised 3DS but thats complete bs. I own not one but two 3ds's, and I can easily see this thing getting the re-duex version by next year to match the Wii-U and the original DS model.

I dont like the PSvita/or playstation portables in general besides for fighting games, but the Vita seems like such a better offer than the 3ds. I rarely say this, infact I never said this about the Wii, (coming from someone who had one since launch) but Nintendo dropped the ball HARD on the 3ds first year. I really hope they get a move on and improve it the following year (which I am optimistic about)

Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#304 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts

[QUOTE="Mario1331"]

if people think the 3ds is not going to sell....i pray for you

they seen their mistake early and are preparing it better with the future of the 3ds and wiu they admitted their mistakes now they about to be back on their business

FIipMode

Which one on the chalkboard will do it?

http://www.vertigogaming.net/HUD/originals/whatwillsave3DS.png

:lol: I like how you can still see the games that were supposed to save the PS3 in the backgroynd.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#305 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

[QUOTE="Heil68"][QUOTE="bbkkristian"]History repeating itself; its the DS all over again. bbkkristian
Why wouldn't they of learned from the DS then? Seems like they are going to address it with the WiiU at least. Seems rather odd.

People who don't learn their history are doomed to repeat it.

Nintendo is doomed to repeat the history of DS sales? Oh noes! :D

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#306 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

I know why I didn't buy it: because Nintendo's going to come out with 5 iterations of the same hardware with miniscule improvements. I'll buy the 3DS+ (or whatever it's called) when it'll be better, cheaper, and more games will be available.

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#307 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

Probably because of the iPhone's huge success and the fact that there really aren't any games worth purchasing on the 3DS apart from two ports.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#309 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

[QUOTE="blackace"][QUOTE="bbkkristian"]History repeating itself; its the DS all over again. Shadow2k6

Yeah, but the DS was hugely successful. A repeat of that wouldn't be a bad thing for the Wii U. The 3DS is a different story, but that could turn around as well once better software is released.

DS had a slow start. Outside of a N64 port (sound familar?) it had no killer apps for a while.

DS had a much better launch price. 250 is just too much.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#310 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

[QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"]The price needs to drop to $175 and then more games need to be available. Haziqonfire

That would be a horrible business decision on Nintendo's part.A price drop this early would be terrible.

Nintendo just needs to provide more content on the platform to create a sense of value. If Mario Kart 3D, Super Mario 3D and others release this year, it'll do its part in ensuring the platform success.

It struggles now because theres a lack of content. Ocarina of Time 3D gives it a small boost but they need a Mario game or two. Though, most of Nintendo console launches are pretty poor until it becomes better late in the first year and leading up to the second year. It seems like the same situation here.

No it absolutely would not. What are you thinking? It would make me consider buying one so I don't see how that would be bad unless it would upset you personally that you paid a higher price. It WILL have a price drop sooner or later so it's not like it's out of the realm of possibilities.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#312 Heil68

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]

[QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"]The price needs to drop to $175 and then more games need to be available. Coolyfett

That would be a horrible business decision on Nintendo's part.A price drop this early would be terrible.

Nintendo just needs to provide more content on the platform to create a sense of value. If Mario Kart 3D, Super Mario 3D and others release this year, it'll do its part in ensuring the platform success.

It struggles now because theres a lack of content. Ocarina of Time 3D gives it a small boost but they need a Mario game or two. Though, most of Nintendo console launches are pretty poor until it becomes better late in the first year and leading up to the second year. It seems like the same situation here.

Totally agree Nintendo needs to stand their grown and SALE their product. Dont discount their product and cheaping it for some imaginary race. Once they have the solid software behind it maybe it will start selling. Making it cheaper is not the answer.

Considering it cost them $101 in parts and even with research & development costs, shipping costs, advertising costs, there is some room to drop the price while still giving them a nice profit.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#314 Heil68

[QUOTE="Heil68"][QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]

Coolyfett

No it absolutely would not. What are you thinking? It would make me consider buying one so I don't see how that would be bad unless it would upset you personally that you paid a higher price. It WILL have a price drop sooner or later so it's not like it's out of the realm of possibilities.

Naw 250 is a fair price they need to turn the on switch on. They promised so many features that are not even there now. Features that people want so bad to justify the purchase, that people are imagining things the 3DS cant actually do. Such as play feature films in 3D & DJ parties. Nintendo needs to bring the value and not cheapinig the product.

There will be a 2nd version and price drop, no doubt about it. I guess I'll wait for that and some games worth playing that aren't ports.
nitekids2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#317 nitekids2004
Member since 2005 • 2981 Posts

[QUOTE="Heil68"][QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]

Coolyfett

Naw 250 is a fair price they need to turn the on switch on. They promised so many features that are not even there now. Features that people want so bad to justify the purchase, that people are imagining things the 3DS cant actually do. Such as play feature films in 3D & DJ parties. Nintendo needs to bring the value and not cheapinig the product.

Purely on a hardware standpoint, you get more bang for your buck on the PSV than the 3DS.

Granted, Ninty can't sell their hardware on a loss, but they better get a foothold asap or devs might just flock onto PSV.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#318 Heil68

[QUOTE="Heil68"] There will be a 2nd version and price drop, no doubt about it. I guess I'll wait for that and some games worth playing that aren't ports. Coolyfett

How long do you feel that wait will be? What hand held are you using now?

I'm guessing a year for a price drop and if history repeats itself, 2 years for 2nd version. I currently have a DS Lite and PSP.
nitekids2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#319 nitekids2004
Member since 2005 • 2981 Posts

[QUOTE="Coolyfett"]

[QUOTE="Heil68"] There will be a 2nd version and price drop, no doubt about it. I guess I'll wait for that and some games worth playing that aren't ports. Heil68

How long do you feel that wait will be? What hand held are you using now?

I'm guessing a year for a price drop and if history repeats itself, 2 years for 2nd version. I currently have a DS Lite and PSP.

I'm also waiting for the 2nd version myself. :lol:

Never bought the original DS/GBA, bought DS Lite and GBA SP instead.It really paysoff to wait.:P

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#321 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

We should keep in mind that the phrase "continues to struggle" does not mean "selling poorly'. By all accounts the 3DS is selling very well. It's just not meeting its lofty expectations. At least not yet.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#322 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44135 Posts

It's all because it sounds too much like 3DO. :twisted:

Eh, it's a hand held "N" product and will likely survive & thrive. :P

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#323 Heil68
[

We should keep in mind that the phrase "continues to struggle" does not mean "selling poorly'. By all accounts the 3DS is selling very well. It's just not meeting its lofty expectations. At least not yet.

dzimm
OR Iwata thinks the 3DS has flopped in sales because it has no games worth buying.
Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#324 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts

I was sceptical about the 3D emphasis even when everyone was praising Ninty's E3 2010 conference. It just isn't enough to make a handheld better, of course the 3DS has everything the DS had so that's good plus better graphics but is that really enough when majority of gamers don't really care about 3D ? On the other hand Sony I feel has done enough to make Vita different to the PSP. And keep in mind I didn't like the PSP as a handheld and preferred the DS though both didn't do enough to convince me to jump into handheld gaming, 3DS still doesn't I am afraid but PS Vita has definitely got me thinking. I think it is very possible that PS Vita will be the dominant handheld, but you never know I mean most of Ninty's top franchises have yet to make it onto the 3DS.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#325 Bread_or_Decide
[QUOTE="Coolyfett"]

[QUOTE="Heil68"] No it absolutely would not. What are you thinking? It would make me consider buying one so I don't see how that would be bad unless it would upset you personally that you paid a higher price. It WILL have a price drop sooner or later so it's not like it's out of the realm of possibilities. Heil68

There will be a 2nd version and price drop, no doubt about it. I guess I'll wait for that and some games worth playing that aren't ports.

A 2D version would never happen I mean they'd have to change the name.
FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#326 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20250 Posts

The problem of the 3DS is that it's not appealing to the Blue Ocean crowd. There are not any games that appeal to them and Nintendo's obsession of 3D is hurting them. The Zelda series was never a system seller. What will spike sales is a 2D Mario. Super Mario 3DS will do well, but it won't sell like New Super Mario DS. I'm sure Mario Kart will be a bigger system seller this holiday.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#327 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

The problem of the 3DS is that it's not appealing to the Blue Ocean crowd. There are not any games that appeal to them and Nintendo's obsession of 3D is hurting them. The Zelda series was never a system seller. What will spike sales is a 2D Mario. Super Mario 3DS will do well, but it won't sell like New Super Mario DS. I'm sure Mario Kart will be a bigger system seller this holiday.

FireEmblem_Man
I don't agree............a Castlevania game or a Metroid game with 2D/3D graphics it will help the sales.We have play many times Mario Kart (SNES,N64,GC,Wii,GBA,DS) and on the 3DS it will be just one more with better graphics(no better than the Mario Kart on the Wii) and 3D.
FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#328 FireEmblem_Man

[QUOTE="FireEmblem_Man"]

AtariKidX

I don't agree............a Castlevania game or a Metroid game with 2D/3D graphics it will help the sales.We have play many times Mario Kart (SNES,N64,GC,Wii,GBA,DS) and on the 3DS it will be just one more with better graphics(no better than the Mario Kart on the Wii) and 3D.

Why does Mario Kart still sell for the Wii? Old school 2D games sell better than their 3D counterparts

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#329 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

FireEmblem_Man
Isn't that a good thing? I mean if it was appealing to the blue ocean group, they would be flooding the platform with more casual games and less games in their core franchises
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#330 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

No it absolutely would not. What are you thinking? It would make me consider buying one so I don't see how that would be bad unless it would upset you personally that you paid a higher price. It WILL have a price drop sooner or later so it's not like it's out of the realm of possibilities. Heil68

A price drop this early would give them far less leverage in the future. Nintendo has to provide a reason for people to pick up their handheld. They have to provide value. They provide value by providing us with a bunch of games that make the platform worth the $250 price point. Mario Kart 3D and Super Mario 3D during the fall would definitely push the hardware, among other third party and smaller titles. Plus, we haven't even seen the full marketing push for the device yet. Nintendo is definitely waiting till the holiday season before their marketing blitz.

It'll have a price drop... but definitely not this early in the gen.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#331 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Nintendo better start working on those 3D classics and not just state the friggin' obvious. Make the eShop something worth visiting at least.

QQabitmoar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#332 QQabitmoar
Member since 2011 • 1892 Posts

Well, eventually Nintendo will bring out the big guns. Pokemon, Mario, a Zelda game that's not a remake, Metroid etc. Then sales will skyrocket. But right now, it doesn't feel like a 'next gen' handheld, it feels like a beefed DS unless u know the specs, and most people don't. I will buy it when the new Pokemon game comes out for the 3ds, also waiting for a new Wario game (hey, I was always a Wario guy...never liked that Mario dude...)

mbrockway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#333 mbrockway
Member since 2007 • 3560 Posts

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]History repeating itself; its the DS all over again. Bread_or_Decide

So you know better than Iwata?

DS had the holiday season. An unprepared launch in spring was a bad idea.

This sounds more like the PS3 to me. The successor to an insanely popular console, costs way too much, and has a horrible launch lineup. Ninty pulled a Sony here, way to not learn from others mistakes Nintendo!
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#334 Bread_or_Decide
[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"]

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]History repeating itself; its the DS all over again. mbrockway

So you know better than Iwata?

DS had the holiday season. An unprepared launch in spring was a bad idea.

This sounds more like the PS3 to me. The successor to an insanely popular console, costs way too much, and has a horrible launch lineup. Ninty pulled a Sony here, way to not learn from others mistakes Nintendo!

Even worse they pulled...a PSP!
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#335 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
But the Zelda was to sell 3 million more units...what happened??Coolyfett
I don't think Nintendo even printed a quarter that number, which is ridiculous.
Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#336 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

[QUOTE="Coolyfett"]But the Zelda was to sell 3 million more units...what happened??DJ_Lae
I don't think Nintendo even printed a quarter that number, which is ridiculous.

Thinking & Knowing is two different meanings. Coolyfett was still right about the whole prediction thing. Hopefully Nintendo can bring the hard hitters eventually.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#337 FireEmblem_Man

[QUOTE="FireEmblem_Man"]

Shinobishyguy

Isn't that a good thing? I mean if it was appealing to the blue ocean group, they would be flooding the platform with more casual games and less games in their core franchises

In a business sense, no it's not a good thing at all! If Nintendo wants to beat the DS sales, then they need to cater to all groups. Blue Ocen Group are not a group of mentally chanllenged gamers. They'll know a bad game when they see one.

35cent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#338 35cent
Member since 2008 • 934 Posts

I'm sure the 3DS will pick up eventually when more games come out for it. I might get one eventually but I'll get the Vita first. That thing looks sweet.