Is Next generation consoles really this small of a leap?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JordanizPro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JordanizPro
Member since 2009 • 1912 Posts

I know people said next gen would be a small leap but i didn't expect this small of a gap. Assassins creed 4 looks the same as this gen and so does BF4 :/ http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/11/01/battlefield-4-next-gen-vs-current-gen

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

This time with performance, we seem to have been given the cost-side of the equation. A pretty decent power increase, but nothing astounding. That being said, we'll see more advancements as time continues.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

it's a cross gen., Devs arnt going build 2 whole different games, They going build one and scale it down till it runs

go look at games on 2005-6 then look at them now, Pretty sure you be shocked

nolson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 nolson
Member since 2003 • 1141 Posts

BF4 looks no where close to the same. You can't judge off of compressed videos on the internet. And you are talking about cross gen titles. AssCreed 3 is nothing more than a port of the current gen title with a higher res and better textures. Look at forza5/kzshadowfall and others when looking at next gen. Not cross gen ports. You should compare launch next gen games to launch current gen games such as resistance or perfect dark zero if you want to see a leap. Over time titles will start to look even better.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5  Edited By Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

@nolson said:

BF4 looks no where close to the same. You can't judge off of compressed videos on the internet. And you are talking about cross gen titles. AssCreed 3 is nothing more than a port of the current gen title with a higher res and better textures. Look at forza5/kzshadowfall and others when looking at next gen. Not cross gen ports. You should compare launch next gen games to launch current gen games such as resistance or perfect dark zero if you want to see a leap. Over time titles will start to look even better.

This again. The difference will NOT be the same as current gen for various reasons.

Also, I find it hilarious that the same argument PC gamers were making whenever console gamers said PC and console looked the same on comrpessed you tube videos, is now being used by console gamers to defend the next gen, even though next gen STILL doesn't look as good as PC.

Lols

ThatOneDork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By ThatOneDork
Member since 2013 • 37 Posts

It's a big leap, trust me. Both BF4 and COD look like day and night when you compare them to their last generation counterparts. I have had the chance to experience the games on next gen and current gen and you'd be surprised as to just how much better they honestly look.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

If I didn't have PC as my main system, yes I would be disappointed in what the PS4 (only system I am getting) has under the hood.

nolson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nolson
Member since 2003 • 1141 Posts

@Kinthalis: Never said next gen looked as good as pc. But the OP said was basing next gen off of cross gen games which is just dumb.

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

Cross Generational games are NEVER a good indicator of the capabilities on next gen hardware. Developers will optimize and increase some factors for the next gen console...but the basic game design and map layout is based around the old hardware because you have to use the lowest common denominator as your baseline.

Launch titles aren't a good indicator either because developers haven't had final hardware for the duration of the games development and they are still learning the ropes on all the nuances of coding for the new hardware.

Wait until E3 2014 to really see games that are fully utilizing next gen hardware.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

A cross gen game available on 6+ platforms is not the best way to judge a console. Look at Sonys first party games and then imagine what Naughty Dog and Sony Santa Monica's games are going to look like 2-3 years from now.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@JordanizPro said:

I know people said next gen would be a small leap but i didn't expect this small of a gap. Assassins creed 4 looks the same as this gen and so does BF4 :/ http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/11/01/battlefield-4-next-gen-vs-current-gen

Dude, I just checked that out as well. The difference in gens aren't that impressive. For either family of consoles. All this non sense about PS4 being this much better than X1, it isn't even that impressively better than PS3/360! Man, what a lot of BS. The games look good, but the some here are going on, its just not that impressive a bump up. Now I know its a cross gen game, but I still don't see it being as big a jump as like PS1 to 2

hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

A better comparison would be KZ3 to KZ SF. That is when you realize next gen launch titles don't look as amazing as you'd expect. Little bit better textures, slightly better lighting. It won't be until 2-3 years from now when we start seeing games that actually look like we'd expect from next gen.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

People have to remember last gen was going from SD to HD (4:3 to 16:9) so it wasn't just about getting better graphics, it was a whole new era of TVs and games in general

This gen leap isn't AS big and cross gen games are the worst to showcase it too

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

@nolson said:

Also remember that for BF4 the next gen consoles are running at 60fps compared to current gen's 30fps, and have 64 player MP compared to 24 player. Visuals aren't the only significant difference in bf4

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts

battlefield looks like dirt on xbox 360

danlevm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 danlevm
Member since 2013 • 289 Posts

You guys are comparing launch games to the end of a console's life cycle. Games will start to look better after E3 2014. Ps4/XboxOne consoles are about 7x better than current gen consoles. Image how the games will look in 3 years? What's with the Pc crowd on these forums? Yes pc's are more powerful than consoles... yes consoles are already outdated. But what we all know is that there will be amazing games on both the xbone and the ps4.

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

@JordanizPro said:

Same happened at the start of xbox 360/PS3 lives

And then they got games like Witcher 2, Halo 4 and Last of Us / Uncharted 2, that made graphics of 2005 look like pac man

Multipass35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Multipass35
Member since 2013 • 312 Posts

Why does the Xbox One have more detail and better colors and lighting at 720p then the PS4 at 1080p? For example at the 4:02 mark on the american flag patch it is 100% clean and clear, but the ps4 is blurry and funny with less color and detail on everything. Also, look at the 2:56 mark, again you see more details on the eyes, scratches on his cheek and his facial pours with the xbox one.

What gives? why is this? Is it the lack of directx 11 for the ps4?

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

Check out Perfect Dark Zero. The game almost looks like it belongs on the PS2 or Xbox.

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

@multipass35 said:

Why does the Xbox One have more detail and better colors and lighting at 720p then the PS4 at 1080p? For example at the 4:02 mark on the american flag patch it is 100% clean and clear, but the ps4 is blurry and funny with less color and detail on everything. Also, look at the 2:56 mark, again you see more details on the eyes, scratches on his cheek and his facial pours with the xbox one.

It is the 1080p that is an overkill for next gen effects

Many effects can drop the frame rate exponentially in 1080p if they are too pixel intensive

You cant have something that needs three times the power (1080p with all effects similar as 720p on xbox one) with a system that only has 1.5 times the power

Developers going for the totally useless and irrelevant 1080p may actually destoy PS4 game graphics for all multiplatform games

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

Cross gen games always look minimally better on the next gen.

A good example is Need For Speed Most Wanted on Xbox and Xbox 360. The visuals are noticeably better, but they're not groundbreakingly different.

Multipass35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Multipass35

@loosingENDS said:

@multipass35 said:

It is the 1080p that is an overkill for next gen effects

Many effects can drop the frame rate exponentially in 1080p if they are too pixel intensive

You cant have something that needs three times the power (1080p with all effects similar as 720p on xbox one) with a system that only has 1.5 times the power

Developers going for the totally useless and irrelevant 1080p may actually destoy PS4 game graphics for all multiplatform games

Interesting.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

new launch same old whining.

i think many people forget what games looked like on ps3/360 at the start of the gen, you'd class them as ps2/xbox games it's always the same, but the truth is the last of us and gears of war, were made on outdated graphics cards and around 256mb of ram for space, now consider that with the better graphics card they have and the 8gb of ram, i can't even think what games are going to look like once next gen is firmly in place.

moan all you like about the graphics but these are the consoles we are going to play for the next 7years, stop whining.

TheTruthIsREAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TheTruthIsREAL
Member since 2013 • 813 Posts

Well, the ps4 is a true leap... Idk about that other platform though. Hermits must be stupid if they think that ps4/xbone launch titles represents the quality that will be pushed throughout this gen. This is the beginning.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 inggrish

Also the best comparisons are at the same point in the generation, i.e: the start.

A few examples:

Resistance vs Killzone

Project Gotham 3 vs Forza 5

It's clear how big the gap is at this point when you compare launch titles. Given time, PS4 and X1 games will look far better.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

Give it some time.

Yes, the leap is smaller compared to last gen, but I think we will only start to see some serious changes after the first year or two.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#30 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@Kinthalis said:

@nolson said:

This again. The difference will NOT be the same as current gen for various reasons.

Also, I find it hilarious that the same argument PC gamers were making whenever console gamers said PC and console looked the same on comrpessed you tube videos, is now being used by console gamers to defend the next gen, even though next gen STILL doesn't look as good as PC.

Lols

Am sorry but I havent seen yet a PC game that looked better than Killzone SF. And yes, I've seen Crysis 3 on ultra. Wasnt impressed.

Multipass35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Multipass35

@Vatusus: he wasn't comparing KZSF to Crysis 3, he was comparing it to the original Crysis. Also, you may or may not have seen any Crysis game on ultra........ But you haven't seen KZSF yet. That is a fact.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#33 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

Now you get a taste of what PC gamers had to deal with for 8 years. lol

Shitty ports.

BlastYoFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BlastYoFace
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Actually this is the biggest jump I ever have seen with a console launch. Good times are only going to get better.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By inggrish

@SNIPER4321 said:

@_Matt_ said:

Also the best comparisons are at the same point in the generation, i.e: the start.

A few examples:

Resistance vs Killzone

Project Gotham 3 vs Forza 5

It's clear how big the gap is at this point when you compare launch titles. Given time, PS4 and X1 games will look far better.

and u are calling this a leap? LOL!!

and why is Crysis 2007. a Freaking 2007!! game loooks better than next gen games??

The sad thing is, I can't work out whether you are just being usual pc elitist self, or trolling.

Yes Crysis looks good, but no, without mods, next gen looks far better than Crysis 1.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#37  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58956 Posts

The main problem here, the games are more of the same.