Is it too late for me to get a PS3?

• 78 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 0

Poll Is it too late for me to get a PS3? (51 votes)

Get a PS3 Phat 4%
Get a PS3 Slim 55%
Get a PS3 Super Slim 27%
Too late, too silly. Get no PS3. 14%

I know they are still available, but in terms of dignity....should I get one? Would it be silly?

I used to own a Wii, then I sold it, got a Xbox 360 Slim. I have had that for nearly 5 years now. It is getting old, and still works, but not quite as well as it used to. It's probably my fault, I have never once cleaned it.

Anyway, i'm getting off topic. The point is, the next console on my list is a Playstation 3 Slim. There are still a whoooole lot of games from the 7th gen that I am yet to play. I have about as many games on my "want" list as I do in my "currently own" list. I don't think my 360 could handle all of that in it's current state.

So that, combined with the fact that I want to own the Uncharted games, and that I am DYING to play TLOU, plus allllll the other games that I plan for...... I decided to try to get a PS3.

But...would it be silly? The 8th gen is well under way, the 7th gen is over. Would it be too silly to just now get a PS3?

Also, as a secondary question: should I get the Phat, Slim, or Super Slim? I have been guided towards the Slim, but I want to make sure what the right choice would be.

• 
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Nope.

Get a PS3 slim and enjoy the tons of great exclusives for super cheap

NoTrolling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 NoTrolling
Member since 2014 • 97 Posts

Get the PS3 super slim bundle with The Last of Us.

That one game destroys the entire 360 library.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MonsieurX

@notrolling said:

Fakeboy confirmed

NoTrolling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 NoTrolling
Member since 2014 • 97 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

@notrolling said:

Fakeboy confirmed

As a 35-year-old adult, I'd rather play mature games like The Last of Us than immature, shit writing games like Gears of War and Halo.

Playing Halo is like running around the house with a towel on your back pretending to be superman. It's time to grow up.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

if you are trying to win the format war...forget it...ps3 has no hope of coming out of dead last...

if you want to play god of war, infamous and all that other sony crap..then yea go ahead.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#6 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

The PS3 60 GB SKU is the greatest single console SKU that ever existed. It wasn't, and never will be, worth the assload of money I paid for it, but being able to play PS1, 2, and 3 games was a blessing I never really realized until it was gone.

The only thing is, pretty much all fat models are time bombs now. It's not worth getting that. My super slim is great. If you're looking for a nice looking piece of tech in your entertainment spot, probably go with the regular slim. Otherwise, the super slim works just as well, even more quietly, is smaller, and usually comes with a bigger hard drive.

Definitely get a PS3. Probably my favorite console ever and an easy as hell recommendation. It's still got a few metric asstons of flaws that I notice more and more as contemporary technology blazes its aging tech, but for what equates to a cheap PC-esque console, you can't go wrong.

Don't be dying to play The Last of Us. It's great, but not spazz-worthy great.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

No. I still use my PS3 way more than my PS4 right now and it will stay that way until the Fall games release. You can a lot of great exclusives for dirt cheap now.

Also get a Slim if possible. The Super Slim looks kinda shit.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Get one. There are still a good amount of games that are going to be released for it, plus the amazing library of existing games.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MonsieurX

@notrolling said:

@MonsieurX said:

@notrolling said:

Fakeboy confirmed

As a 35-year-old adult, I'd rather play mature games like The Last of Us than immature, shit writing games like Gears of War and Halo.

Playing Halo is like running around the house with a towel on your back pretending to be superman. It's time to grow up.

As a "35-year-old adult",you'd rather troll poorly on forums?

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By StrongBlackVine

@KBFloYd said:

if you are trying to win the format war...forget it...ps3 has no hope of coming out of dead last...

if you want to play god of war, infamous and all that other sony crap..then yea go ahead.

You are an idiot. Only a butthurt Nintendrone would be talking about sales in this topic. I guess no one should by a Wii U right because it won't even crack 20 million.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
@notrolling said:

@MonsieurX said:

@notrolling said:

Fakeboy confirmed

Yeaaah, nobody over the age of 15 brags about being mature.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By StrongBlackVine

@KBFloYd said:

You are idiot. Only a butthurt Nintendrone would be talking about sales in this topic. I guess no one should by a Wii U right because it won't even crack 20 million. Guess that makes you the biggest loser in this console war?

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 TigerSuperman
Member since 2013 • 4331 Posts

Yep. All games won't work because of y2k, so if you brought a system it would leak methamphetamine smoke and kill you instantly. Even if it didn't, you clearly can't find one anywhere except everywhere and it's labeled a terorist product under the U.N.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

No. It has a ton of great games.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 KBFloYd

@StrongBlackVine said:

@KBFloYd said:

You are idiot. Only a butthurt Nintendrone would be talking about sales in this topic. I guess no one should by a Wii U right because it won't even crack 20 million.

ps3 is dead weight and almost killed sony... no one should waste time on that crap.

the wiiu is in another gen...after this gen is over you can compare it to the ps3.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

Nope.

this, best version of ps3

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

Next gen consoles won't have good games worth to play for a year or two so get yourself a PS3 slim. Numerous of great exclusives to play.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45103 Posts

I like the super slim more than I liked my old regular slim. I think being able to just open up the tray is much better and it's easier to blow out dust and shizzle.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

I like the super slim more than I liked my old regular slim. I think being able to just open up the tray is much better and it's easier to blow out dust and shizzle.

Explain...

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

@notrolling said:

The Halo story as a whole stacks up against any story on gaming lore imo...

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 StrongBlackVine

@KBFloYd said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@KBFloYd said:

You are idiot. Only a butthurt Nintendrone would be talking about sales in this topic. I guess no one should by a Wii U right because it won't even crack 20 million.

ps3 is dead weight and almost killed sony... no one should waste time on that crap.

the wiiu is in another gen...after this gen is over you can compare it to the ps3.

You're are an idiot. Wii was trash and Wii U is trash. One just happened to sell.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45103 Posts

@Kevlar101 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

Explain...

the super slim has a physical tray that you have to open to put the game in (like how you used to do with the original Playstation)

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KBFloYd

@Kevlar101 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

Explain...

the ps3 slim is the cheapest console i ever saw in my life...sony trying to save every penny on materials. makes me puke

the superslim looks better built. if your going to get this garbage then thats better quality.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TigerSuperman

@Kevlar101 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

Explain...

I prefer opening up the tray because if your shit breaks you can get the disc out. This can also work if the system has a tray (which no one has used since the 360) and you can pry it open.

You gonna need a flame thrower for other PS3's to get that disc out.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

PS3 and WiiU are the only 2 consoles I've not owned since probably Colecovision. Even owned an N-Gage lmao(handheld/cell, I know...). As someone who's trying to get away from the messy AV cabinet, I just want my newer consoles on display, really hoping PS Now turns out to be what we hope it will, I'll just go back and play the great exclusives I missed through that.

At this point I'd rather spend the $300 on my X1 and PS4.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Some mighty fine exclusives to be had that would be brand new for you.

Get the PS3.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By lundy86_4

@KBFloYd said:

the ps3 slim is the cheapest console i ever saw in my life...sony trying to save every penny on materials. makes me puke

the superslim looks better built. if your going to get this garbage then thats better quality.

Dude...

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

too late...

you had to be in the moment to truly appreciate and live the magic each game had at its time.

Playing them now wont have that special magical feeling, and you might even wonder why people like the game.

Sure some games might still be great like GOW 3, but try playing MGS4, Heavenly Sword, Resistance 2 now and you probably wouldnt even finish them or would think highly of them. Especially since some games dont have an online community anymore. You would never know what playing an 8 player co-op and 30 vs 30 muliplayer is like in Resistance 2 now. You wont ever get to experience 256 players having a fight fire in MAG cuz it has been shut down.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

even i've been thinking about getting a ps3.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Kevlar101

@Nengo_Flow said:

too late...

you had to be in the moment to truly appreciate and live the magic each game had at its time.

Playing them now wont have that special magical feeling, and you might even wonder why people like the game.

Sure some games might still be great like GOW 3, but try playing MGS4, Heavenly Sword, Resistance 2 now and you probably wouldnt even finish them or would think highly of them.Especially since some games dont have an online community anymore. You would never know what playing an 8 player co-op and 30 vs 30 muliplayer is like in Resistance 2 now. You wont ever get to experience 256 players having a fight fire in MAG cuz it has been shut down.

I own quite a few older games already that I love to death.

My internet isn't even strong enough to get online to my 360, so online communities don't really apply to me. (btw, this is why people like me are probably screwed with 8th gen consoles)

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TigerSuperman

@Kevlar101 said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

too late...

Sure some games might still be great like GOW 3, but try playing MGS4, Heavenly Sword, Resistance 2 now and you probably wouldnt even finish them or would think highly of them.Especially since some games dont have an online community anymore. You would never know what playing an 8 player co-op and 30 vs 30 muliplayer is like in Resistance 2 now. You wont ever get to experience 256 players having a fight fire in MAG cuz it has been shut down.

My internet isn't even strong enough to get online to my 360, so online communities don't really apply to me. (btw, this is why people like me are probably screwed with 8th gen consoles)

I guess you may still like games such as R&C and MGS4 if online communities mean nothing to you.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

Explain...

Thinks the PS3 slim has worse build quality then the super slim. Your opinion is now irrelevant.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Kevlar101

@TigerSuperman said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

too late...

I guess you may still like games such as R&C and MGS4 if online communities mean nothing to you.

You missed my point.

My internet is simply not strong enough for Online services on consoles. I would get it if I could, but I can't. They do mean something to me, not nothing.

Puggy301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35 Puggy301
Member since 2003 • 202 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

Nope.

^^This^^

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TigerSuperman

@Kevlar101 said:

@TigerSuperman said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

too late...

You missed my point.

My internet is simply not strong enough for Online services on consoles. I would get it if I could, but I can't. They do mean something to me, not nothing.

WHICHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I would say you may still like games such as R&C and MGS4 if you are buying/interested in a ps3 knowing you don't have strong internet. THUS, it technically does not mean nothing to you in this particular situation.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Nengo_Flow

@TigerSuperman said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@TigerSuperman said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

too late...

You missed my point.

WHICHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I would say you may still like games such as R&C and MGS4 if you are buying/interested in a ps3 knowing you don't have strong internet. THUS, it technically does not mean nothing to you in this particular situation.

Let it go man... its bad enough he missed out on PS Triple goodness all these years, but now you got to remind him that he has crappy internet

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

A PS3 is still pretty expensive. To be honest I might wait and see how that Playstation now service works out. If it works n shit then a better deal might be to get a PS4 since you'll be able to play PS3 shit n next gen stuff. If not **** it get the ps3. It's still dope still plays bluray still free online and still the best games lineup since SNES. I mean I don't gotta list all the games and shit right? Go ahead and start with pretty much every game of the year for like the past decade.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#39  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Of course. Godny still watches out for gamers on their last gen console. And you can enjoy many world class exclusives.

dr_jashugan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 dr_jashugan
Member since 2006 • 2665 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

Nope.

THIS. End of thread.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

Persona 5 is coming out next year for PS3 if you like JRPG's. The game has been in development since 2006 BTW. XD

The PS3 slim is the best version. The phat gets YLOD easily while the super slim feels way too cheap but it's supposed to run cooler, so in theory it should be the best.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TigerSuperman

X360 and PS3 need to drop prices though. Bringing both down to at least having ONE model at $90 with at least semi-decent memory could propel both to over 100 million.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#43 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

It's never too late to enjoy a great console

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#44 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

PS3 is the best choice, is has the best library of Gen 7

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 lundy86_4

@Gue1 said:

Persona 5 is coming out next year for PS3 if you like JRPG's. The game has been in development since 2006 BTW. XD

The PS3 slim is the best version. The phat gets YLOD easily while the super slim feels way too cheap but it's supposed to run cooler, so in theory it should be the best.

Makes me feel good still running my 60GB phat version. Yeah boy!

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts
@Nengo_Flow said:

too late...

Sure some games might still be great like GOW 3, but try playing MGS4, Heavenly Sword, Resistance 2 now and you probably wouldnt even finish them or would think highly of them. Especially since some games dont have an online community anymore. You would never know what playing an 8 player co-op and 30 vs 30 muliplayer is like in Resistance 2 now. You wont ever get to experience 256 players having a fight fire in MAG cuz it has been shut down.

Resistance 2 is already offline? That sucks, it was the only one with good online.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Nengo_Flow

@UnbiasedPoster said:
@Nengo_Flow said:

too late...

Resistance 2 is already offline? That sucks, it was the only one with good online.

I think it just went offline or is about to this month.

There was a list that SONY put out like 2 months ago about games that they are shutting down the online for.

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts

@Nengo_Flow said:

@UnbiasedPoster said:
@Nengo_Flow said:

too late...

I think it just went offline or is about to this month.

There was a list that SONY put out like 2 months ago about games that they are shutting down the online for.

Yeaup, just read March 28th they will be offline. That blows.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#49 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Not yet - end of 2015 the industry will be transitioning exclusively to next-gen platforms but for now everything is cheap enough to validate a purchase, particularly if you plan on being part of the PS4 ecosystem (for PS+).

Solid_Max13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Solid_Max13
Member since 2006 • 3596 Posts

Never too late to get a system that had some amazing games, I'd say buy one since their dirt cheap now and with an amazing library of games you benefit the most!!