Is it too late for me to get a PS3?

• 78 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 0

Poll Is it too late for me to get a PS3? (51 votes)

Get a PS3 Phat 4%
Get a PS3 Slim 55%
Get a PS3 Super Slim 27%
Too late, too silly. Get no PS3. 14%

I know they are still available, but in terms of dignity....should I get one? Would it be silly?

I used to own a Wii, then I sold it, got a Xbox 360 Slim. I have had that for nearly 5 years now. It is getting old, and still works, but not quite as well as it used to. It's probably my fault, I have never once cleaned it.

Anyway, i'm getting off topic. The point is, the next console on my list is a Playstation 3 Slim. There are still a whoooole lot of games from the 7th gen that I am yet to play. I have about as many games on my "want" list as I do in my "currently own" list. I don't think my 360 could handle all of that in it's current state.

So that, combined with the fact that I want to own the Uncharted games, and that I am DYING to play TLOU, plus allllll the other games that I plan for...... I decided to try to get a PS3.

But...would it be silly? The 8th gen is well under way, the 7th gen is over. Would it be too silly to just now get a PS3?

Also, as a secondary question: should I get the Phat, Slim, or Super Slim? I have been guided towards the Slim, but I want to make sure what the right choice would be.

• 
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#51 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

No, I got one during black friday and i've been enjoying it. There are a lot of great games to catch up on, especially while the next gen console library is some what lacking

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@Gue1 said:

Persona 5 is coming out next year for PS3 if you like JRPG's. The game has been in development since 2006 BTW. XD

The PS3 slim is the best version. The phat gets YLOD easily while the super slim feels way too cheap but it's supposed to run cooler, so in theory it should be the best.

yeah, the super slim disc drive is kind of weird when you compare it to the other models

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#53 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

A PS3 with Playstation Plus is pretty much as good as it gets in the console space right now.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

IMO the PS4 and XBone probably won't have 3 games I really want even by this time next year, if I was debating what console to buy next I'd definitely go with a PS3 if I was in your shoes (or even go legacy and play some PS2, SNES, etc) PS4 will be worth the money by Christmas 2015.

And as far as TLOU- be careful, any game with that much hype is sure to disappoint in some regard.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

I like the super slim more than I liked my old regular slim. I think being able to just open up the tray is much better and it's easier to blow out dust and shizzle.

Explain...

the ps3 slim is the cheapest console i ever saw in my life...sony trying to save every penny on materials. makes me puke

the superslim looks better built. if your going to get this garbage then thats better quality.

I think you mixed up superslim and slim...the super slim is shoddy cheaply made, the slim isn't....

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#56  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13660 Posts

@notrolling said:

@MonsieurX said:

@notrolling said:

Get the PS3 super slim bundle with The Last of Us.

That one game destroys the entire 360 library.

Fakeboy confirmed

As a 35-year-old adult, I'd rather play mature games like The Last of Us than immature, shit writing games like Gears of War and Halo.

Playing Halo is like running around the house with a towel on your back pretending to be superman. It's time to grow up.

lol as if someone hits 35 and starts smoking cigars and sipping fine brandy.

If your tastes are so mature, what are doing on SWs. In fact, what are doing with a games console anyway, there's like what 2 or 3 games max that matches your criteria. The vast majority of games really aren't that sophisticated.

Also, don't get the lack of imagination mixed confused with maturity if that is indeed the case.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178837 Posts

No it's not too late. It's never too late to enjoy games. If I didn't have a PS3 already.....I'd get one.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#59  Edited By GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

Persona 5 is coming. Time to get a PS3.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#60 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

I bought my PS3 slim in 2012, that was pretty late but for me it wasn't worth it. The exclusives are overrated and are just a bunch of interactive movies. (but I liked Killzone 2 and UC 3)

But it's all about opinions, here on SW most people will say to buy one...

Avatar image for littlestreakier
littlestreakier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 littlestreakier
Member since 2004 • 2950 Posts

Get the PS3 slim and get PSN+ For their instant game collection. You'll have a game to play every month. The games have been great too examples include, Uncharted 3, DMC, Tomb Raider, Borderlands 2 or 3 (can't remember which one they offered off the top of my head) plus a ton of other great games. Saves you money and you'll be gaming for a long. I'm actually thinking about re-buying a PS3, I let my girl borrow it over a year ago and now it's half way across the country at her relatives house...extremely annoying.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@notrolling said:

Exactly what I did. On the last bit of TLOU now. Loved every dam minute of it.

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Slimmin360
Member since 2010 • 1933 Posts

It's never too late for a PS3, unless of course the system and games are no longer being sold at retailers obviously.

However it's always been my opinion that the PS3 had the better exclusives line up over the 360......and if you haven't played such great games as God of War series, Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted, Resistance, Last of Us, Heavenly Sword, Heavy Rain, Dragons Crown, Demon Souls, Infamous 1 & 2, Modnation Racers, MLB the Show.....and many more.

The super slim comes with a 500gb hard drive and an easy latch release door on top, so no power slot loader to get jammed or break in anyway, but thats all personal preference.....Bottom line, spend the money, you won't be sorry.

withe1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By withe1982
Member since 2005 • 450 Posts

@Kevlar101 To be honest if I had to choose between a PS3 and a PS4 right now i'd 100% go far PS3. The library of AAA games is just staggering.

You'd be a fool to miss out on them (TLOU is a masterpiece) and graphics wise a lot still hold up well even against current gen.

Make sure to pick up:

The Last Of Us (it's just as good as the reviews make it out to be)

Uncharted 1-3

Resistance 1-3

GOW 1-3

InFamous 1&2

Demon's Souls

Heavy rain/Beyond 2 Souls

MGS4

3D Dot Game Heroes (It's excellent)

Ni Nu Kuni (It's a dream to play)

That should tide you over for a while.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52424 Posts

Nah, not at all.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#67 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Never too late to get any console. Only problem with the older consoles is the availability of the games and accessories that you'll need.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#68 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

This is probably the best time to get a last gen system. Most of the games are dirt cheap and there's plenty worth playing.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

It has a great library and is definitely worth owning, but I wouldn't recommend paying $300 for one. I would imagine that this holiday season you will be able to find them in the $100-$150 range and that next year the MSRP will be $200 or less. I wouldn't pay more than $200 for a system that isn't being supported with new games because you are going to want to get a newer system to get those must-have games much sooner than you think, and then you won't play the PS3 very much after that.

psone4xbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#70  Edited By psone4xbox
Member since 2014 • 64 Posts

IMO I wouldn't pay more than 200.00 for a used system and it should come with a couple games or controller. 150-160.00 would be even better...check Craigslist or eBay

GameStop had a deal 269.00? For a ps3 system 120gb-500gb, whatever stock they had in store, extra controller and 6 games under 10.00. so if you feel more comfortable buying from a store you can check them out...

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

@notrolling said:

@MonsieurX said:

@notrolling said:

Fakeboy confirmed

As a 35-year-old adult, I'd rather play mature games like The Last of Us than immature, shit writing games like Gears of War and Halo.

Playing Halo is like running around the house with a towel on your back pretending to be superman. It's time to grow up.

As a "35-year-old adult",you'd rather troll poorly on forums?

. yes get a ps3 and enjoy the hell out of it ,it has lots of great exclusive games killzone2, mgs4,gow3,tlou,gran turismo, ninokuni, any genre you like it will have a few great ones to whet your appetite. and what does being grown up have to do with peoples game choices?

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#72 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

why would it be too late?

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#73  Edited By santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

It's a great time to get a PS3. Prices are down and the library is robust. I'll be getting a 360 sometime in the future myself. I always like to pick up consoles I don't own sometime after they go legacy. At that point the price is low enough that it's pretty easy to justify the price even if it's only to play a relatively small collection of exclusives.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

I'm still playing my PS3. PS4 has nothing of interest by comparison. Just recently finished Demons Souls and looking into getting into GTAV soon. Then Catherine, No No Kuni, Tales of Symphonia HD, etc. Lots of good games to be found on it.

Out of the current gen and past gen if someone wanted to get a console I would 99% of the time recommend getting a PS3.

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#75 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

Get one and get a PS+ subscription, the number of top-quality games you can "rent" with that subscription is fairly insane.

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#76 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

@Gue1 said:

Persona 5 is coming out next year for PS3 if you like JRPG's. The game has been in development since 2006 BTW. XD

The PS3 slim is the best version. The phat gets YLOD easily while the super slim feels way too cheap but it's supposed to run cooler, so in theory it should be the best.

Makes me feel good still running my 60GB phat version. Yeah boy!

Ditto. At some point I need to upgrade the disc drive but that seven-year old console is still doing just fine.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#77 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

never too late buy ps3 with last of us or GTA V bundle

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#78 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

No effin way is it silly. Getting the PS3 now ensures so many great gaming experiences at a fraction of what I payed for them. You did 360 and Wii, hope you enjoyed, now do PS3 and enjoy.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#79 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Why would it be silly? Console aren't just pieces of hardware that must be replaced wen the new big thing arrives. That question you ask is what's silly to me, lol. It's never too late to buy a console. You look at the exclusives if they interest you, and if you can, you buy the console.

Hell, i'm planning to get another PS2 soon. Need to play the Phantasy Star remakes, which i missed.

In my opinion, you could buy a PS3 and play that for a couple of years until the PS4/Xbone has something worth playing. 8th gen is barren of any good exclusives, minus the WiiU.