Insider reports: gap to get even wider as the Gen moves on.

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@killzowned24 said:

From what I understand by reading some posts, Xbone is doomed to sub 1080 because esram can't fit deferred engines and is why Forza which just happens not to be deferred is the only one at 1080p.

We have a winner.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

@TheEroica said:

@ReadingRainbow4: it will also come down to features... I firmly believe the casual gamer isn't a 10 year old kid with a ds anymore, but a 10 year old kid with cod and Netflix on his mind. Funny, we fight all gen long about which console is "doing better" but is what the casuals are buying that determines everything in the end...

10 year olds dont buy 4-$500 consoles.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22679 Posts

@Heil68: nope but their parents sure do... Age is irrelevant though, the idea remains that the desires of the casual gamer have changed, at least in my opinion. gaming has changed considerably over this past gen... Main reason being the consoles are not static devices... They do everything from Netflix to Amazon, now skype to espn to youtube to Web browsing.... That coupled with the desensitization of the mature rated game has led casuals down different paths... Casual now is getting the new cod, minecraft and assassins creed while using your console as a streaming device while continuing the nurturing of online community.. The shift felt from gen 7 is just being felt now....

OneInchMan99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#55  Edited By OneInchMan99
Member since 2012 • 1248 Posts

Multiplat comparisons are going to be a blood bath this gen,so funny,lol

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

Xbone is done. Lems are done.

NineTailedGoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 NineTailedGoku
Member since 2012 • 1977 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

It's funny MS has such a firm grip of the press that not a single one can report the truth. Come on journalists do your job!

Which is exactly why i can't stand MS. Did Sony even try to make it seem like PS2 was more powerful than GC and Xbox? Did they ever try to hide it. I hate the fact that MS tries to twist the truth about their disadvatages instead of focusing on their advantages. Dont see how so many people can support such a goonish company.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@TheEroica said:

So we all think that the console with the "best graphics" is gonna win for the first time since the Snes?

Also the cheapest with a great first party.

I completely discount the Wii U.

tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#61  Edited By tonitorsi
Member since 2006 • 8692 Posts

@I_can_haz said:

This is expected, only lems will deny this. The Xbone is underpowered and will continue to have inferior multiplats throughout the gen.

@senses_fail_06 said:

I've been waiting for the king to regain his rightful thrown.

#ThankYouKaz

#DayOnePS4

@Netret0120 said:

I can't wait to see an ND game. It will obliterate anything on X1

#Preach

#Godnyiscomming

#11.15.2013

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#62  Edited By Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

I don't know who this guy is but have at it.

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts

He is the parrot in Neogaf. Pretty credible guy.

Oh well, still we shall wait. At worst I can see the snap feature locked at launch.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

@Floppy_Jim said:

I don't know who this guy is but have at it.

He's a good insider, and that's more specific than just saying the OS has issues. MS working on it no doubt. Thank God its now and not launch day. I imagine at MS they are working 24/7, lol. Honestly, unless this was November 22 when I am supposed to go pick up my Xbox One, I'm not worried but keeping an eye on it. Both OS's need work, obviously.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Originally Posted by thuway

If GAF wants it straight, this is how it is:

At launch, the PS4 has the lead in multiplatform titles. The tools for ES RAM on Xbox One are still incomplete from what is being echoed on the inside track. They are having a tough time fitting things together in time for launch software, so you see these huge resolution differences.

Once the tool chain improves, the resolution barrier will start diminishing-

BUT...

Post launch, when developers start taking advantage of compute on the PS4, despite Xbone's best efforts to get tools to work better, the gap will stay as large or widen. As far as I understand, the gap will always remain significant, but never in the realm of outside portability.

This isn't an "opinion" btw.

I sleep now

Of course it's an opinion.

Look, I don't think any lemming is going to say "the XboxOne is more powerful than the PS4". But, I don't see the difference being a big deal. What I do see being a big deal is that the XB1 brings more to the table other than pretty graphics: the cloud/dedicated servers, media features, gaming tweaks to incorporate Kinect, etc.

Cows bash the Kinect all the time. Hell, even I LOL'd at it when it first came out. But, look at the rest of the technology world - Comcast, Direct TV, PCs, samrt devices, etc; they are all integrating gesture and voice controlls into thier interfaces. Even if Sony has an alternative, they haven't dumped enough resources into it to make it a viable competitor to Kinect 2.0. MS has beaten Sony to market with this - it's highly improved, and its guaranteed to be there for all XBoxOne units. It's things like this that will IMO far supercede any small graphics advantage the PS4 has.

From a pure tech standpoint, the XB1 is a superior device all around. It just doens't produce as nice graphics as the PS4 is capable of (on paper), but, it beats it in every other way and has a host of features not available on PS4. That's the reason I preordered one.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#66 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

@clyde46 said:

Don't care, I want good PC ports.

Don't think of them as ports; if the devs aren't lazy, they'll build a standalone PC version to optimize.

Just my two cents...

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Floppy_Jim
@Giancar said:

He is the parrot in Neogaf. Pretty credible guy.

Oh well, still we shall wait. At worst I can see the snap feature locked at launch.

D'oh, brainfart. Yeah I know who thuway/parrot man is.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

@Floppy_Jim: Damn. Must really sick to be a lem right now.

-Inferior multiplats

-Connection issues with XBLive

-Shitty UI causing crashes

-$100 more expensive than PS4

Sounds like a nightmare for MS and lems.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

@StormyJoe said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

At launch, the PS4 has the lead in multiplatform titles. The tools for ES RAM on Xbox One are still incomplete from what is being echoed on the inside track. They are having a tough time fitting things together in time for launch software, so you see these huge resolution differences.

BUT...

Post launch, when developers start taking advantage of compute on the PS4, despite Xbone's best efforts to get tools to work better, the gap will stay as large or widen. As far as I understand, the gap will always remain significant, but never in the realm of outside portability.

I sleep now

Look, I don't think any lemming is going to say "the XboxOne is more powerful than the PS4". But, I don't see the difference being a big deal. What I do see being a big deal is that the XB1 brings more to the table other than pretty graphics: the cloud/dedicated servers, media features, gaming tweaks to incorporate Kinect, etc.

Cows bash the Kinect all the time. Hell, even I LOL'd at it when it first came out. But, look at the rest of the technology world - Comcast, Direct TV, PCs, samrt devices, etc; they are all integrating gesture and voice controlls into thier interfaces. Even if Sony has an alternative, they haven't dumped enough resources into it to make it a viable competitor to Kinect 2.0. MS has beaten Sony to market with this - it's highly improved, and its guaranteed to be there for all XBoxOne units. It's things like this that will IMO far supercede any small graphics advantage the PS4 has.

From a pure tech standpoint, the XB1 is a superior device all around. It just doens't produce as nice graphics as the PS4 is capable of (on paper), but, it beats it in every other way and has a host of features not available on PS4. That's the reason I preordered one.

Dude, I couldn't agree with you more. And if I only gave a damn about the best graphics I'd ditch consoles so fast and just invest in a beast of a PC. All this rumor chatter and twitter this and that, thank God soon we'll be able to see for ourselves what's what. Whats funny is I have no interest in buying Battlefield at all, lol. But I will buy CoD and I hope its 900p, but I won't cancel my purchase if its 720p. Got to many buds to play with and we're not Sony guys.

Did Titanfall win best graphics at any show it was shown at this year? No. Did it win best game? Many, many times. And I'm ok with that.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

@TheEroica said:

@Heil68: nope but their parents sure do... Age is irrelevant though, the idea remains that the desires of the casual gamer have changed, at least in my opinion. gaming has changed considerably over this past gen... Main reason being the consoles are not static devices... They do everything from Netflix to Amazon, now skype to espn to youtube to Web browsing.... That coupled with the desensitization of the mature rated game has led casuals down different paths... Casual now is getting the new cod, minecraft and assassins creed while using your console as a streaming device while continuing the nurturing of online community.. The shift felt from gen 7 is just being felt now....

Then I guess you need to pony up some benjamins and get your kids set up them. I dont like my kids enough to buy them the X1 ;P

On a serious not, I want consoles for gaming and nothing else. I have other devices/methods for everything else I need and want as far as media and dont need a console to "take it over". Give all control to one thing and you are at its mercy and I dont like that, so the mulit media functions of both consoles are irrelevant to me.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Floppy_Jim

@I_can_haz said:

@Floppy_Jim: Damn. Must really sick to be a lem right now.

-Inferior multiplats

-Connection issues with XBLive

-Shitty UI causing crashes

-$100 more expensive than PS4

Sounds like a nightmare for MS and lems.

3rd console curse is back. Good luck to anyone getting one launch day (sincerely). They really don't have long to fix this stuff.

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts

When Geis comes with this, well differences are confirmed.

Clock-w0rk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Clock-w0rk
Member since 2012 • 3378 Posts

@theshensolidus said:

I'm just going to throw this in here once again:

ESRAM doesn't "close the cap", it just brings the Xbox One to an acceptable standard level of performance. It's like have a race with multiple cars, and the only way a car is eligible to race is if they perform to a certain standard. The PC and PS4 cars both have their differences, but they hit that standard for sure. The Xbox One's car is causing it to stutter and stop randomly, or run slower than the standard for this race is. All streamlining ESRAM does is make it so that the X1 car can at least RUN at that standard level - The other two are still going to go far faster than it.

Unlike the 'Cloud' and off-setting hardware tasks to an external server for local rendering, Compute is a fully utilizable programmable software system that CAN be utilized right now, its just so entirely new. The PS4 being built with this in mind, and having customisations that are designed to take advantage of Compute, allow it to have this rather large growth ceiling that unfortunately the X1 just can't match.

I can say with first-hand knowledge, it is a gap that will get wider, and soon.

Boom.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@shawn30 said:

@StormyJoe said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

BUT...

I sleep now

Dude, I couldn't agree with you more. And if I only gave a damn about the best graphics I'd ditch consoles so fast and just invest in a beast of a PC. All this rumor chatter and twitter this and that, thank God soon we'll be able to see for ourselves what's what. Whats funny is I have no interest in buying Battlefield at all, lol. But I will buy CoD and I hope its 900p, but I won't cancel my purchase if its 720p. Got to many buds to play with and we're not Sony guys.

Did Titanfall win best graphics at any show it was shown at this year? No. Did it win best game? Many, many times. And I'm ok with that.

I know! I would just buy/build a high-end PC if all I cared about were graphics. Funny how cows bash Crysis 2 & 3 for being "all about graphics" when they apply the exact same standard when it comes to console functionality.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#75  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

#It'sComing

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

greenballer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 greenballer
Member since 2004 • 619 Posts

@TheEroica said:

@ReadingRainbow4: it will also come down to features... I firmly believe the casual gamer isn't a 10 year old kid with a ds anymore, but a 10 year old kid with cod and Netflix on his mind. Funny, we fight all gen long about which console is "doing better" but is what the casuals are buying that determines everything in the end...

You are right my friend

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 ReadingRainbow4

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/28/call-of-duty-native-1080p-on-ps4-720p-on-xbox-one

Ign's reporting on the issue now, I'd imagine GS isn't far behind seeing how they covered the driveclub rumor.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@shawn30 said:

@StormyJoe said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

BUT...

I sleep now

these poor lems dont know what more excuses to make :(

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 XBOunity
Member since 2013 • 3837 Posts

@shawn30: looks like cod will be 1080p on xbo by launch or patched in.. this is the only thing ps4 has really... online ui motion control games seem to favor xbo. Both systems are worthy of purchase

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#81 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

There won't be huge gap. Not there will be huge improvements through the gen, not on the level PS3 had. The difference between both consoles is pretty small and they're both using well known standarized hardware. There's no "secret power" to discover or new techniques to be invented. Devs already know how to use most of each console's power. Wait for holiday 2014 games, those will be pretty much the limit of next-gen. After that the improvements will be minimal.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@AdrianWerner said:

There won't be huge gap. Not there will be huge improvements through the gen, not on the level PS3 had. The difference between both consoles is pretty small and they're both using well known standarized hardware. There's no "secret power" to discover or new techniques to be invented. Devs already know how to use most of each console's power. Wait for holiday 2014 games, those will be pretty much the limit of next-gen. After that the improvements will be minimal.

I imagine you're in tears over the battlefield news.

We're seeing a much bigger difference than last gen between the two systems.

PraetorianMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By PraetorianMan
Member since 2011 • 2073 Posts

The difference will never be "huge", but unless MS drops the Xbox One's price very early on, there will always be the issue of "pay more for an inferior product". It doesn't matter if its only slightly inferior, the fact that it might be marginally worse AT ALL, while the system cost more, is unacceptable.