In the end the Wii U couldn't even match the Gamecube..

This topic is locked from further discussion.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

specifically In terms of its overall gaming library. The Gamecube despite its lackluster sales at least had a diverse gaming library. There really was something for everybody, but can the same be said about the Wii U?

15 yrs from now I just don't see the Wii U having the same cult following as the Gamecube/Dreamcast. It won't be remembered as a great console, but instead a lackluster console that had a few solid games. Kinda like the Sega CD,

I just can't believe Nintendo dropped the ball so badly with this console. The freaking console doesn't even have a Metroid release, and from what I hear most likely never will.

Farewell Wii U, you definitely won't be missed. Here's hoping the NX turns out to be a much better console.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#2 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Captain Obvious?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52429 Posts

Yeah, I used my Gamecube all the time.

WiiU? Not at all.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By emgesp

Not trying to state something that I think people aren't aware of, but instead perhaps people really don't take the time to think how sad it really is.

One of the greatest gaming companies has been slowly digging their own grave since the N64. Its like they want their home console business to fail.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

I wasn't surprised at all , looking the things they did while the Wii was running , it was obvious they where going in with a gimick that no one cared for.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@emgesp said:

Not trying to state something that I think people aren't aware of, but instead perhaps people really don't take the time to think how sad it really is. It is sad to see one of the greatest gaming companies slowly dig their own grave in regards to their home consoles. Its like they want their home console business to fail.

Sure, it's sad, but it's also well known. For instance, Gamecube easily got 60-70% of major third party support from the rest of the industry, as well as Nintendo's own games. Wii U only gets Nintendo's own games, and even there, suffers from Nintendo's initial focus on bailing the 3DS out, and then on diverting all teams for the NX.

So of course it couldn't have competed with the Gamecube. or N64 or SNES, or NES. I personally find it better than Wii, thanks to 3D World, Smash, Kart, Splatoon, and so on, but yeah.

Like you said, the most we can do is hope for their next outing to be better.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By emgesp

@Ant_17 said:

I wasn't surprised at all , looking the things they did while the Wii was running , it was obvious they where going in with a gimick that no one cared for.

Yep, they got Sony post PS2 level cocky and it backfired on them, but unlike Sony they aren't going to be able to turn things around for the Wii U.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

NX will save the Wii U by using its Gamepad as a dual screen. Wii U will get a price drop and most likely be used like the 3DS is with the N3DS.

NX will get the more powerful games while Wii U will get the smaller games. Of course all will run on the NX and Gamepad will be used as a Dual Screen for the NX.

Nintendo has stated that Gamepad was too expensive so we can expect a price cut since Nintendo has been selling Wii Us for $200 for a while now. They just open the box, press the power button once and sell as used.

Expect a price drop to $200 to go along with the N3DS and the Wii U will be most likely $300. It aint over, till its over.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#9 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Yeah, it's a bust overall for me.

I'm happy Nintendo supported it, unfortunately, it's with many of the same IPs and gameplay we've seen for years. But paying $200 for a system I only use regularly for two games stings.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#10 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

@emgesp said:

specifically In terms of its overall gaming library. The Gamecube despite its lackluster sales at least had a diverse gaming library. There really was something for everybody, but can the same be said about the Wii U?

15 yrs from now I just don't see the Wii U having the same cult following as the Gamecube/Dreamcast. It won't be remembered as a great console, but instead a lackluster console that had a few solid games. Kinda like the Sega CD,

I just can't believe Nintendo dropped the ball so badly with this console. The freaking console doesn't even have a Metroid release, and from what I hear most likely never will.

Farewell Wii U, you definitely won't be missed. Here's hoping the NX turns out to be a much better console.

"The Gamecube despite its lackluster sales at least had a diverse gaming library. There really was something for everybody," Not what the "hardcore"/PS2/XBOX fandom thought that gen. With it's kiddy reception. How many people were quick to note the GC for exclusives like F-Zero, Eternal Darkness, Pikmin, Battalion Wars and multiplats like Prince of Persia, Mega Man Anthologies (Anniversary and X), James Bond and Resident Evil? Not many. The GameCube was primarily known for... take it away, Game Theorists:

Loading Video...

And if you want to be that picky, it was sort of remembered for Metroid, and a FEW third party stand outs like Soul Calibur (the version with Link? despite the sales being lower than the PS2 version with the weakest guest star), LEGO and Rogue Leader (and maybe Sonic?). Otherwise, the Nintendo typicals (Mario/Zelda/Smash) predominately ran the show.

I don't think anybody expected the GameCube to have the following it does now (and it probably shouldn't have, but has had since the Wii showed up). Flogging sales and terrible library aside, a little too early to judge, because far as we know, the Wii U could be only remembered for Nintendo first parties.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 emgesp

@mesome713 said:

NX will save the Wii U by using its Gamepad as a dual screen.

They need to ditch the screen if you ask me. Why stick with something that obviously didn't benefit the Wii U at all?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@nintendoboy16: I don't know where you get your information from, but the Gamecube version of SoulCalibur II was the highest selling version of the game.More annoyingly, I have shown and proven this to you before. Stop willfully spreading misinformation.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ant_17

@mesome713 said:

NX will save the Wii U by using its Gamepad as a dual screen. Wii U will get a price drop and most likely be used like the 3DS is with the N3DS.

NX will get the more powerful games while Wii U will get the smaller games. Of course all will run on the NX and Gamepad will be used as a Dual Screen for the NX.

Isn't that the bigest problem?

Casuals thinking the Wiiu is just an add-on for the Wii?

They have to stop with this half ass program , and make sure people get it by 1st glance it's a completly new product.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-58ce94803a170

@emgesp said:
@mesome713 said:

They need to ditch the screen if you ask me. Why stick with something that obviously didn't benefit the Wii U at all?

They will ditch the screen, but it will be Backward Compatibility with NX, the NX will most likely come with a Pro Controller that has a Gyro built in.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#15 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

True, but those few solid games were worth my purchase. Bash on, it's not gonna make me any less happy with it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@Ant_17 said:
@mesome713 said:

Isn't that the bigest problem?

Casuals thinking the Wiiu is just an add-on for the Wii?

They have to stop with this half ass program , and make sure people get it by 1st glance it's a completly new product.

I cant help what casuals think, im not their parents. You want to know what Wii U is? Read the freakin box.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

@emgesp said:
@mesome713 said:

They need to ditch the screen if you ask me. Why stick with something that obviously HELPED TO KILL the Wii U at all?

There you have it, fixed it for you.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nintendoboy16

@charizard1605 said:

@nintendoboy16: I don't know where you get your information from, but the Gamecube version of SoulCalibur II was the highest selling version of the game.More annoyingly, I have shown and proven this to you before. Stop willfully spreading misinformation.

Hey, I remember reading the GC version only won launch sales, not lifetime. Hell, I remember the dreaded Wikipedia saying the PS2 version sold better in lifetime sales before I recently checked those GC/PS2 software sales charts again recently before it saying the GC version has slightly more sales (though that could be full of crap for all we know).

Look, if it's legit, then I accept defeat. If not... well...

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By emgesp

@ianhh6 said:

True, but those few solid games were worth my purchase. Bash on, it's not gonna make me any less happy with it.

As I said before, there are a couple solid titles for the Wii U, but overall its library of games is lackluster especially when compared to the Gamecube.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@nintendoboy16 said:
@emgesp said:

"The Gamecube despite its lackluster sales at least had a diverse gaming library. There really was something for everybody," Not what the "hardcore"/PS2/XBOX fandom thought that gen. With it's kiddy reception. How many people were quick to note the GC for exclusives like F-Zero, Eternal Darkness, Pikmin, Battalion Wars and multiplats like Prince of Persia, Mega Man Anthologies (Anniversary and X), James Bond and Resident Evil? Not many. The GameCube was primarily known for... take it away, Game Theorists:

Loading Video...

And if you want to be that picky, it was sort of remembered for Metroid, and a FEW third party stand outs like Soul Calibur (the version with Link? despite the sales being lower than the PS2 version with the weakest guest star), LEGO and Rogue Leader (and maybe Sonic?). Otherwise, the Nintendo typicals (Mario/Zelda/Smash) predominately ran the show.

I don't think anybody expected the GameCube to have the following it does now (and it probably shouldn't have, but has had since the Wii showed up). Flogging sales and terrible library aside, a little too early to judge, because far as we know, the Wii U could be only remembered for Nintendo first parties.

The Gamecube was a joke, all that third party support, super powerful graphics, no so called "gimmicks" and it barely sold over 20 million copies. Umm, yeah. They sold that thing a $99 and with different colors trying to get people to buy that thing. I even bought 2 of them cause i wanted a different color.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@nintendoboy16 said:
@charizard1605 said:

Hey, I remember reading the GC version only won launch sales, not lifetime. Hell, I remember the dreaded Wikipedia saying the PS2 version sold better in lifetime sales before I recently checked those GC/PS2 software sales charts again recently before it saying the GC version has slightly more sales (though that could be full of crap for all we know).

Gamecube version sold higher. There was a legit controversy because of that fact when SC3 was announced to be PS2 exclusive. As in a real controversy, not the stuff you usually call a controversy either.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

@emgesp said:
@ianhh6 said:

As I said before, there are a couple solid titles for the Wii U, but overall its library of games is lackluster especially when compared to the Gamecube.

Oh I'm certainly not denying that :P just saying, I'm glad I purchased it. To me sales don't matter; the library of a console does matter to me, but those few great games on the Wii U have passed that test for me.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

So true, i am still waiting for that Zelda and Metroid game every Nintendo system used to get...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@aroxx_ab: Wii U will get Zelda, NX will get Metroid. We just had 2 Metroids on Wii. So you just waiting to buy a Wii U for 2 games though? Pretty cool though, they are good games.

Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts

@charizard1605: I'm 99% sure SC2 was best selling on GC. The 2 other versions had spawn and hetachi (sp) if i remember correctly while the gc had Link in it. Great game.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

If Nintendo cancels Zelda for the Wii U and moves its development to whatever new console they're creating, I'm literally going to throw this thing out of my window.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@nyadc: They're not canceling the Wii U version. It will just also get an NX version. Twilight Princess all over again.

daveyf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 daveyf03
Member since 2005 • 418 Posts

May not be adored 20 years from now but the hardware and games will gain value. There will be few in the wild and we can see how Nintendo games hold their value especially when you consider that some of them are really good.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 nintendoboy16

@charizard1605 said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@charizard1605 said:

Gamecube version sold higher. There was a legit controversy because of that fact when SC3 was announced to be PS2 exclusive. As in a real controversy, not the stuff you usually call a controversy either.

By controversy, you mean something like Bayonetta 2? Which, like Soul Calibur III was an exclusive sequel to a multiplatform prequel?

I have a tough time believing the GC version of SC II outsold the other version in lifetime sales, considering the Wikipedia charts for the GameCube doesn't even list the European sales of SC II (though that's no surprise considering Nintendo's sales within Europe has always been a joke by comparison to NA and Japan, even with the NES and SNES) where as the PlayStation 2 charts do. Something is WAY off about those 1.50 million GC version sales.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@nintendoboy16: So when hard numbers are provided to you, you won't believe them. What am I supposed to do about that?

The simple fact of the matter is, the game sold the most on GCN. Now stop spreading lies.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@charizard1605 said:

@nyadc: They're not canceling the Wii U version. It will just also get an NX version. Twilight Princess all over again.

Why would you release two versions when NX will most likely be Backward Compatible?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@mesome713 said:
@charizard1605 said:

Why would you release two versions when NX will most likely be Backward Compatible?

Did you raise this same question when Twilight Princess did the same thing for Gamecube and Wii?

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

@mesome713 said:
@charizard1605 said:

Well they delayed the game and then shortly after all of this word started coming out about the NX, it makes you wonder if they shifted development.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@nyadc said:
@mesome713 said:
@charizard1605 said:

Well they delayed the game and then shortly after all of this word started coming out about the NX, it makes you wonder if they shifted development.

Sure, but the same thing happened with Twilight Princess and Wii/GCN. The GCN version still came out. Chill.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@charizard1605: Twilight on Wii added new mechanics with controls, NX will most likely not add anything.

@nyadc: Zelda always gets delayed, it was expected actually.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ant_17

@nintendoboy16 said:
@charizard1605 said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@charizard1605 said:

By controversy, you mean something like Bayonetta 2? Which, like Soul Calibur III was an exclusive sequel to a multiplatform prequel?

I have a tough time believing the GC version of SC II outsold the other version in lifetime sales, considering the Wikipedia charts for the GameCube doesn't even list the European sales of SC II (though that's no surprise considering Nintendo's sales within Europe has always been a joke by comparison to NA and Japan, even with the NES and SNES) where as the PlayStation 2 charts do. Something is WAY off about those 1.50 million GC version sales.

Off-topic , but did any one notice that DMC 2 sold more then DMC 3?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 freedomfreak
@mesome713 said:

Twilight on Wii added new mechanics with controls, NX will most likely not add anything.

It's for maximizing profits and for the people that aren't interested in getting the NX, or just not when Zelda releases.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@mesome713 said:

@aroxx_ab: Wii U will get Zelda, NX will get Metroid. We just had 2 Metroids on Wii. So you just waiting to buy a Wii U for 2 games though? Pretty cool though, they are good games.

I already own WiiU...since first month of release

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 nintendoboy16

@charizard1605 said:

@nintendoboy16: So when hard numbers are provided to you, you won't believe them. What am I supposed to do about that?

The simple fact of the matter is, the game sold the most on GCN. Now stop spreading lies.

I won't believe them when Wikipedia is prone to providing misinformation that does not add up, especially when they lack the proper evidence in this case.

Look, if you're talking launch sales and lifetime North American sales (yes, i'm looking at the citations). Fine! You're right on at least that. But overall? SCII's GC sales were considerably lower in Japan in contrast to the PS2 version and hell, like I said, the GC Wiki charts don't even mention Europe (more specifically, the United Kingdom) where as the PS2 versions sales did (and at 200,000, link in previous post, but for some reason, GS wouldn't let me link the citation).

I really don't know what the hell else you want out of me on this one.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@freedomfreak said:
@mesome713 said:

Twilight on Wii added new mechanics with controls, NX will most likely not add anything.

It's for maximizing profits and for the people that aren't interested in getting the NX, or just not when Zelda releases.

Nintendo is not known for releasing the same game twice unless it adds something new to the experience, its why they dont do remasters.

Im not saying they wont add to the experience, but if what we all think the NX is comes true, it highly unlikely it will be able to add anything new to the experience.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 freedomfreak
@mesome713 said:

Nintendo is not known for releasing the same game twice unless it adds something new to the experience, its why they dont do remasters.

I'm not surprised you're not able to grasp this.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@freedomfreak: Then explain it better, cause what your suggesting is something Nintendo does not do.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

True. I still want one for mario kart 8 though, unless the next nintendo console is backwards compatible

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 freedomfreak
@mesome713 said:

Then explain it better, cause what your suggesting is something Nintendo does not do.

Then it's fair to assume you have no idea how Nintendo handled Twilight Princess.

inb4theyaddedmotioncontrolssoitsdifferent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-58ce94803a170

@freedomfreak said:
@mesome713 said:

Then explain it better, cause what your suggesting is something Nintendo does not do.

Then it's fair to assume you have no idea how Nintendo handled Twilight Princess.

inb4theyaddedmotioncontrolssoitsdifferent

Exactly as i already stated, they added to the experience, so how will NX add to the experience? Please do explain?

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

This thing is still being sold? We hear about all the upcoming titles on all other systems but WiiU. its as if the console was discontinued

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 freedomfreak
@mesome713 said:

Exactly as i already stated, they added to the experience, so how will NX add to the experience? Please do explain?

No. They made sure the game worked with the Wii's new control scheme.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By emgesp

@mesome713 said:
@freedomfreak said:
@mesome713 said:

Im not saying they wont add to the experience, but if what we all think the NX is comes true, it highly unlikely it will be able to add anything new to the experience.

You mean like Windwaker HD, StarFox64 3DS and Ocarina of Time 3DS?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@silversix_: You havnt heard of Yoshi Woolly Word, Star Fox Zero, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Devils Third, Mario Tennis Ultra Smash, Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival, Super Mario maker, and Rodea Sky Solider?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45114 Posts

Even Vita sold more units