Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34690 Posts

I fail to see how. You're a dude killing zombies. If the dude is white and the zombies are black, that automatically makes it racist? Even though previous games did not do this? Even though you have a black partner doing the same thing? If the game shows infected black people with spears and shields (which do exist in Africa), is that racist? I don't get it. No one had any problems mowing down white people in RE4, but when the people had dark skin, there's this huge problem. Makes no sense. If they removed all the black people and put white people there instead, that would be racist.

But yeah, I guess RE5 will not be remade because of this, which is ridicluous. Lesson learned here is, if you make a game, better keep black people out of it to be safe. Which I think is all kinds of wrong and actually racist.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 694 Posts

Breaking a bit a part from the main topic of the thread:

Someone here is mentioning how all this negative comments on the IGN video will actually increase the profitability of the video.

I was checking how YouTube works and it seems like comments always push the algorithm to recommend the video and dislikes tend to basically do nothing either way.

This makes it so that having highly controversial videos that drive anger is very beneficial for publicity so media has the incentive to be as inflammatory as possible.

I just wanted to drop this so that people can us this to meditate about the state of public discourse: it's not coincidental.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#55 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69928 Posts

@Litchie: Note, I am not saying it is or isn't but your reasoning is a bit flawed.

Also, the female is biracial so she is not black or white but both but I know folks default to black.🤷‍♂️

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Litchie  Online
@Pedro said:

@Litchie: Note, I am not saying it is or isn't but your reasoning is a bit flawed.

Also, the female is biracial so she is not black or white but both but I know folks default to black.🤷‍♂️

Please explain to me how. I watched the video, and I still don't understand how it's racist. Or were you focusing on "Lesson learned here is, if you make a game, better keep black people out of it to be safe."? That was mostly me being frustrated, but still.. If you don't have black people dying in your game, some idiot won't call it racist.

@Pedro said:

Who the **** cares? lol

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57 TheEroica  Moderator  Online
Member since 2009 • 22794 Posts

@last_lap: yeah... I'll say it's the one I enjoyed playing most because of the coop. Never been a big resident evil fan. It's never been a must play franchise for me, more of a passive series.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59101 Posts

I just ignore most game journos now. A lot of them are just enthusiastic self-indulgent blog writers who have far left views that are as dumb as the far rights.

Personally I thought Sheva made black people look good because she was hot and Chris murdering poor black villagers was fine as they were bad.

It had that one black guy who was alright as well. (can't remember name)

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6328 Posts

@TheEroica said:

@last_lap: yeah... I'll say it's the one I enjoyed playing most because of the coop. Never been a big resident evil fan. It's never been a must play franchise for me, more of a passive series.

Ah I see. I must say I never enjoyed the co-op. And the way they built the game with co-op in mind it felt more like an action game not a horror one.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

It is an action game. So's 4, the people who pretend that's primarily a horror game are living in lala land.

And I'm with TheErotica, RE5 is dope. Rather play it over 4. And play it over stuff like Left4dead which just gets repetitive as hell.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Pedro  Online

@Litchie: "If the dude is white and the zombies are black, that automatically makes it racist? Even though previous games did not do this? Even though you have a black partner doing the same thing? If the game shows infected black people with spears and shields (which do exist in Africa), is that racist? "

You are subbing to flawed logic.

Pointing out the fact that the partner you are referring to is not black but biracial on a topic about racism is irrelevant right?🤔 You are the one that mentioned it.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Litchie  Online

@Pedro: Ah ok. Thanks for explaining, didn't think about that. Probably a product of me not giving a shit about skincolor. I didn't think of her being biracial, as I simply don't care. I find this talk of RE5 being racist ridiculous, and wanted to use her "race" as ammo to combat this ridiculousness.

I'm one of few who realize the fact that humans don't come in different races, which adds to my frustration whenever it's a subject.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Pedro  Online

@Litchie said:

@Pedro: Ah ok. Thanks for explaining, didn't think about that. Probably a product of me not giving a shit about skincolor. I didn't think of her being biracial, as I simply don't care. I find this talk of RE5 being racist ridiculous, and wanted to use her "race" as ammo to combat this ridiculousness.

I'm one of few who realize the fact that humans don't come in different races, which adds to my frustration whenever it's a subject.

I only played the game for a short time and I was more appalled by the controls to even think about race.😂 I do know that some people love the game, more specifically the coop.

You are correct with your last statement but culture is a strong element in peoples' perception even when it lacks substance.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Litchie  Online
@Pedro said:

I only played the game for a short time and I was more appalled by the controls to even think about race.😂 I do know that some people love the game, more specifically the coop.

lol, I don't even remember the controls. Probably like RE4 with some changes? I do remember the inventory though, which I disliked.

Coop was the only way to enjoy the game for me. That AI you play with when playing solo was probably one of the most annoying I've ever experienced.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#65 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24985 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

It is an action game. So's 4, the people who pretend that's primarily a horror game are living in lala land.

And I'm with TheErotica, RE5 is dope. Rather play it over 4. And play it over stuff like Left4dead which just gets repetitive as hell.

of course its action game. so is RE4. RE4-R is action game done right.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8437 Posts

I have been having thoughts recently: to what degree is media responsible for Manufacturing social outrage, outrage that previously was not there. Social justice warriors then eat this shit up and pretend they had problems with it all along.

I am curious as to why media outlets wait for so many years later, reserving these thoughts for sensitive and vulnerable times that would surely rile up SJW's, and not call the game racist 15 years ago when IGN originally gave it a 9/10 rating? For clicks, maybe?

I was having this thought recently. Then articles like this pop up, on par to the course of my own suspicions.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44167 Posts

:P

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#68  Edited By texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14922 Posts
@st_monica said:

Well, this seems to be another example of projecting Western guilt for colonizing, enslaving, massacring, exploiting, and discriminating against Africans in the past onto Asian developers who had nothing to do with it.

If anything, the image of white soldiers shooting black zombies that the game presents seems more likely to offend those who wish to whitewash such history by invoking the atrocities committed by their Western ancestors than to offend actual Africans.

No, it is about the portrayal of Africans.

It was an African journalist that called it out in the first place.

And no, the Japanese game industry does have a history of misrepresenting and stereotyping black people, including Capcom.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Pedro  Online

@texasgoldrush said:

And no, the Japanese game industry does have a history of misrepresenting and stereotyping black people, including Capcom.

Do you have references to journalists in African countries calling this game out? This is news to me.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 jaydan

@Pedro said:
@texasgoldrush said:

Do you have references to journalists in African countries calling this game out? This is news to me.

People also need to stop looking at different races as some hive mind mentality. I've known black folks in particular, get offended over the assumption people make, that because one black dude something that it must speak for the entire race of the black community.

People may carry extreme opinions sometimes, but it does not speak for an entire group of people.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Pedro  Online

@jaydan said:

People also need to stop looking at different races as some hive mind mentality. I've known black folks in particular, get offended over the assumption people make, that because one black dude something that it must speak for the entire race of the black community.

People may carry extreme opinions sometimes, but it does not speak for an entire group of people.

The media has taught me all black/indian/hispanic/other people are the same. Don't try to tell me otherwise.😅

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 694 Posts

@jaydan: they make advertisment money from pissing people off. Because pissed of people make a lot of comments and that pushes the video to more people.

They also dislike the video, but the algorithm doesn't take dislikes in to consideration.

This is a big reason as to why we are all so angry with each other. The most controversial and anger inducing version of each world-view a constantly being pushed on others to drive "engagement"

I am almost sure that the IGN journalist was thinking: "how can I pissed a lot of people off without appearing to be morally reprehensible?" Obviously the point is not to make you anger, but to increase traffic.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 jaydan

@Pedro said:
@jaydan said:

The media has taught me all black/indian/hispanic/other people are the same. Don't try to tell me otherwise.😅

I find it very ironic when it's white people trying to regulate these narrations as well. It runs deep in their ancestry to try to control and regulate the perception of another race.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By jaydan
@nirgal said:

@jaydan: they make advertisment money from pissing people off. Because pissed of people make a lot of comments and that pushes the video to more people.

They also dislike the video, but the algorithm doesn't take dislikes in to consideration.

This is a big reason as to why we are all so angry with each other. The most controversial and anger inducing version of each world-view a constantly being pushed on others to drive "engagement"

I am almost sure that the IGN journalist was thinking: "how can I pissed a lot of people off without appearing to be morally reprehensible?" Obviously the point is not to make you anger, but to increase traffic.

Another example I've seen recently is when you look into the world of Disney, particularly their theme park division.

I'm not too sure how familiar you are with Disney theme parks, but there has long been a beloved log flume ride called Splash Mountain. Anyone that has ever been to a Disney theme park knows this was a fan-favorite and a staple to the Disney park experience.

Out of no where Disney decided to close the ride down and they publicly stated that the ride was problematic and racist. They decided to announce this during the midst of the George Floyd protests.

Now the thing about this popular ride, is the fact it featured characters and songs from a Disney movie called "Song of the South", an old Disney movie that has long been deemed racist.

Now the thing about this Splash Mountain ride, it only featured several of the cartoon characters from the movie and the catchy songs. The ride itself otherwise, had nothing racist about it.

The public response to Disney's abrupt decision to close one of the most popular rides at Disney, because "racism"; left most people scratching their heads and many more completely outraged why they'd close one of the most popular attractions that previously had no controversy behind it whatsoever.

This is an example of quite a few I've seen in recent years, of media manufacturing outrage in things that people weren't even complaining about in the first place. And in the end, it pisses off a lot more people than it does anything productive or meaningful.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1470 Posts
@texasgoldrush said:
@st_monica said:

Well, this seems to be another example of projecting Western guilt for colonizing, enslaving, massacring, exploiting, and discriminating against Africans in the past onto Asian developers who had nothing to do with it.

If anything, the image of white soldiers shooting black zombies that the game presents seems more likely to offend those who wish to whitewash such history by invoking the atrocities committed by their Western ancestors than to offend actual Africans.

No. The IGN article rather takes issue with "a white man shooting waves of Africans" in the opinion that the writer gives in the conclusion, and my comment is based on reading it;

"But that was 2009 – a time when race was apparently a debate rather than a reality. In the 2020s, in a post-Black Lives Matter world, there is only one acceptable response to a white man shooting waves of Africans for an entire video game: no."

No. Otherwise, clarify who the African journalist is, what African country he is from, and why he feels discriminated against.

No, there are far more examples of Western media, including video games, misrepresenting and stereotyping people of color, including those not only from Africa but also from Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America.

Even if there were instances of some Japanese games misrepresenting people of color, it would mostly be the result of misunderstanding, not malice to insult them. It is not the same as racism or discrimination. Do not arbitrarily try to confuse the two.

As I've written, the West has a history of colonizing and exploiting African countries and therefore need to be more sensitive in its portrayal of them, but it would be hypocritical to project that guilt onto those who were not involved.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7228 Posts
@kathaariancode said:

So, as far as I can tell, the game is actually racist? But if it's a remake it certainly can be fixed while keeping what made it great. Their angle should have been "how to fix" not that's unfixable.

That comment section with the MAGAS and GamerGaters must be a cesspool. A profitable one for IGN, for sure.

so all magas are racist? why? because they want to bring back factors and make made in america mean something again. stop listening to the left lies. we don't want slavery back like they say lol. Trump is not like Hitler. magas are not a cesspool. the left is screaming white supremacy is what is destroying america. We need Patriot back. the one who fought for this country in every war. rant over lmao.

its not racist when you have res4 about a small farming village. so they did the same for africa.

nothing needs to be fixed.

so to fix it they just make them white right. because you can't be racist killing white people.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#78 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8874 Posts

@hardwenzen: How is the author of this video allowed to keep his job for posting such a stupid video?

Woke is a joke.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#79 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15948 Posts

As a game I find it a good action game but very underwhelming as an RE game. I personally prefer playing RE6 over RE5. As for the topic, idk its a game enjoy game. If capcom wants to remake it they could easily fix parts that some people feel offended while keeping it in africa with enemies of african descent but not like original game did anything offensive

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52446 Posts

Author would most likely cross the street if a non-white came his way.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8313 Posts

@TheEroica said:

Yup the Co.Op made it one of the best RE games

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 uninspiredcup  Online

@sakaixx said:

As a game I find it a good action game but very underwhelming as an RE game. I personally prefer playing RE6 over RE5.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 SargentD

@st_monica said:
@texasgoldrush said:
@st_monica said:

No. The IGN article rather takes issue with "a white man shooting waves of Africans" in the opinion that the writer gives in the conclusion, and my comment is based on reading it;

"But that was 2009 – a time when race was apparently a debate rather than a reality. In the 2020s, in a post-Black Lives Matter world, there is only one acceptable response to a white man shooting waves of Africans for an entire video game: no."

No. Otherwise, clarify who the African journalist is, what African country he is from, and why he feels discriminated against.

No, there are far more examples of Western media, including video games, misrepresenting and stereotyping people of color, including those not only from Africa but also from Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America.

Even if there were instances of some Japanese games misrepresenting people of color, it would mostly be the result of misunderstanding, not malice to insult them. It is not the same as racism or discrimination. Do not arbitrarily try to confuse the two.

As I've written, the West has a history of colonizing and exploiting African countries and therefore need to be more sensitive in its portrayal of them, but it would be hypocritical to project that guilt onto those who were not involved.

Make all the African zombies White

Problem solved 👍

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By SargentD

@uninspiredcup said:
@sakaixx said:

As a game I find it a good action game but very underwhelming as an RE game. I personally prefer playing RE6 over RE5.

Lol

RE6 worse than RE5, but it did have Co.Op. prefer 5 in almost every way.

(As a co op action game)

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 uninspiredcup  Online

Helenas Harpers.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#86 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44618 Posts

Game was a product of its time in the gaming trends of a post-9/11 world. Any remake could benefit from a sense of self awareness with regard to the design choices made for the original games, that being said I don't think a remake is out of the question inherently. I don't think any design choices needed to try to address such issues would be any more work than the work that goes into a ground up rebuild of an entire game in its construction, and they could keep much of the original script and basic story details intact.

But I don't think RE5 is high on list of RE games needing a remake. It was among the first to try to implement a modern dual analog control scheme, though implemented mid-production with tank controls being part of the original design. Even moving while shooting would have been doable but would have required redesigning much of the game's enemy encounters, so the decision to have firmly planted feet while aiming was what they stuck with. This was confirmed by developers years back. This is an area for improvement it could benefit from.

Of course, cutscene QTEs could obviously go, people became not so much a fan of them, but I have no issue with context sensitive QTEs (stick shake or button mash on enemy grapples, etc). Plus a lot of that high contrast tone heavy coloring too, though done for style as was a trend of its time, people at large have had a a falling out with such choices, so that can go.

Probably one of the earlier Resident Evil games is better off being remade due to dated design. I never played it, but RE5 had some DLC where players return to the original house from first RE game. Seen video though, and Lost Nightmares makes an interesting case for how the first RE game could be reimagined. Frankly I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet. The original game most definitely should be the priority of a next remake. But if not, there's RE0 and Code Veronica might be better suited. Or they could also just make new RE games too.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#87  Edited By KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3448 Posts

@Litchie: Honestly the line between racism and ignorance sometimes is hard to tell.

Saying that it's ok to have Africans with spears and shields because they exist in Africa sounds bizarre to me. Maybe because I'm not American and Africa to me is a continent with different countries and diferent cultures even within those countries. It might be OK, might be ignorance or a racial stereotype, I don't know.

One of the reasons why I dislike RE4 so much it's because they set the game in Spain yet the locals are Mexican.

I'm perfectly fine with people from any race shooting zombies from any race, I have no issues with it. But IF a game uses harmful racial stereotype in its world building and such, then it should absolutely be pointed out. Even if just because of laziness or ignorance.

Other than that, the anti woke mob is very easily triggered. That's why a whole industry of outrage exploits them.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 uninspiredcup  Online

White Hawk Down.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 SargentD

Just call the humans aliens and don't change anything else.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Pedro  Online

@gifford38: Not all but most. All KKK are maga supporters and KKK folks don't believe they are racist. 🤷‍♂️Yes they are a cesspool. Patriots don't push for dictatorship and removal of rights.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8491 Posts

@Willy105 said:

@TheEroica: It's nothing new, the game has been widely interpreted as racist since the first trailer. Most people gave it a chance until it came out though, but when it came out and people played the game, it turns out that yeah...it was pretty racist. Although most people joked around about how you were a western white guy with a light-skinned black woman who teamed up to kill zombies that all conveniently were only black people, in actually the black people in the game were portrayed using common racial stereotypes, even showing black people as savage before they turned into zombies.

When making the game, the Japanese developer drew inspiration from European descriptions of the African continent...as opposed to getting inspiration directly from the African continent itself. Which is a mistake for sure.

It's not impossible to remake RE5 without it being racist; but racists are not going to like the changes that would need to be made to make it not racist, most likely.

Thanks for the explanation. I always assumed it's more nuanced than the hurr durr, the zombies will be black because you're in Africa. I can totally see why it can be offensive to some people especially who encounter it regularly in daily lives.

I played it when it came out and I my self didn't see it as racist but it's a while back and I also don't remember much apart from the bulky protagonist Chris and hot Sheva. Was also a teenager back then so wasn't even that knowledgeable.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 SargentD

@Pedro said:

@gifford38: Not all but most. All KKK are maga supporters and KKK folks don't believe they are racist. 🤷‍♂️Yes they are a cesspool. Patriots don't push for dictatorship and removal of rights.

Just call all humans in games aliens and we can avoid all hurt feelings

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Pedro  Online

@sargentd said:
@Pedro said:

You didn't thought that response through before responding...😂

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 uninspiredcup  Online

If you want to have sexual intercourse with Sheva you're definitely not racist.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 SargentD

@uninspiredcup said:

Many hands and a strong woman

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Pedro  Online

@uninspiredcup said:

Isn't that supposedly jungle fever?😅

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 SargentD
@Pedro said:
@sargentd said:
@Pedro said:

You didn't thought that response through before responding...😂

Hey hey.. just looking for easy solutions to make believe problems

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Pedro  Online

@sargentd said:

But your solution doesn't make any sense. That is like saying "I know these people are white but I don't want the audience to be offended that they are white, so lets call them aliens."🥴

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By SargentD
@Pedro said:
@sargentd said:

But your solution doesn't make any sense. That is like saying "I know these people are white but I don't want the audience to be offended that they are white, so lets call them aliens."🥴

What do you want some sort of plot development?

Add a cut scene that tells you they aliens and not from earth, just make it they from other planet, so people don't get confused that there is some sort of relevance between real colonization, Europeans, and Africans, and it's actually a video game in a fictional setting

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 SargentD

@Pedro said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Isn't that supposedly jungle fever?😅

Are you assuming shivas race now pedro? Well we'll.. you might have a case of the MAGA yourself now bud