I don't know a single person who enjoys QTEs.

• 104 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 percech
Member since 2011 • 5237 Posts

Why did this fad take off? It really is a lazy alternative to you know, doing something creative with gameplay elements. I blame Sony for this because it's present in almost every single one of their exclusives this gen. Sony is anti-gameplay.

Lance2500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Lance2500
Member since 2009 • 680 Posts

I agree.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

I love QTE's

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Because of how awesome they were in RE4 (aside from the boulder runs,) every publisher/developer tried to shoehorn them in after that.

CajunShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CajunShooter
Member since 2006 • 5276 Posts

Why did this fad take off? It really is a lazy alternative to you know, doing something creative with gameplay elements. I blame Sony for this because it's present in almost every single one of their exclusives this gen. Sony is anti-gameplay.

percech

It is actually creating interactive cinematic segments which use to be times of just putting down the controller so QTEs create more gameplay.

ebrezzy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ebrezzy1
Member since 2012 • 1427 Posts

God of War 3

1254277_o.gif

more QTE's plz

Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Thefatness16
Member since 2010 • 4673 Posts

Why did this fad take off? It really is a lazy alternative to you know, doing something creative with gameplay elements. percech

Yeah, not a fan of them at all. They either make a game worse, or the quality is the same. No game to me was better because of a QTE.

I blame Sony for this because it's present in almost every single one of their exclusives this gen. Sony is anti-gameplay.

percech

They took off because of RE4, a GC timed exclusive.

percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 percech
Member since 2011 • 5237 Posts

God of War 3

1254277_o.gif

more QTE's plz

ebrezzy1
A break from the mindless hacking and slashing.
khanabyss25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 khanabyss25
Member since 2004 • 279 Posts

Shenmue. 'nuff said.

Avatar image for Obviously_Right
Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Obviously_Right
Member since 2011 • 5331 Posts

God of War 3

1254277_o.gif

more QTE's plz

ebrezzy1

There are no QTE's in God of War: Ascension

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Also not a fan of QTEs.

Maneil99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Maneil99
Member since 2012 • 842 Posts

percech

MS does it too, Halo 4's final boss is a QTE, Gears of War chainsaw duels are QTE, its not just sony, don't be biased.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts
I don't mind them unless they are overly apparent in the game. Some of the ones during boss fights in GoW3 were clever (such as L3 and R3 to shove your thumbs ito Poseidon's eye sockets) but ones that interfere with gameplay are dumb. I also hate games that require you to mash buttons really fast. Another example from GoW is when you open a chest or gate, I just want to push one button and be done with it, not mashing O 20 times just to perform a simple task
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

percech
It's in God of War and Heavy Rain. Doesn't really bother me that much. I would rather they keep it out of there games though. That gimmick got old after Dragon's Lair and Hologram Time Traveler http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Traveler_%28video_game%29 games.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BPoole96

[QUOTE="ebrezzy1"]

God of War 3

/>

more QTE's plz

Obviously_Right

Is that actually true? That's very surprising considering GoW is one of the few games that has ever used QTEs effectively
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I'll put up with it. That's about it.

Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Socijalisticka
Member since 2011 • 1555 Posts

Taking away control from a player is a step forward into realizing the potential of games. Games should emulate film after all. What's there to not understand? Why haven't you preordered the cinematic masterpiece, the Last of Us yet?

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
It is a lazy way of creating the illusion of "interacting" with on-screen events. It usually comes from developers who don't know how to make a certain gameplay segment interactive.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

[QUOTE="ebrezzy1"]

God of War 3

more QTE's plz

Obviously_Right

Funny, I watched that demo showcase again earlier and there were QTEs in that.

As per the topic I think QTEs are fine, if done right. Sparsely laid out and not where you have to absolutely hammer a button like the end to MGS4. They have their place but I hate how devs are using them as an easy way out of player interaction with cool set pieces.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

[QUOTE="percech"]

Why did this fad take off? It really is a lazy alternative to you know, doing something creative with gameplay elements. Thefatness16

Yeah, not a fan of them at all. They either make a game worse, or the quality is the same. No game to me was better because of a QTE.

I agree, they either piss me off, or I find them tolerable, but never played a game where they actually added something worthwhile to the experience... and yes, I played RE4, and even there, nothing special...

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12330 Posts
There are aspects in gameplay that can not possibly be accomplished without QTE. Try to recreate GOW's QTE's with plain ol' gameplay mechanics ..... you can't. It's far too complex to pull off with plain ol' gameplay mechanics.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

It is a lazy way of creating the illusion of "interacting" with on-screen events. It usually comes from developers who don't know how to make a certain gameplay segment interactive.Zeviander

*cough* assassin's creed III *cough*

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

Because of how awesome they were in RE4 (aside from the boulder runs,) every publisher/developer tried to shoehorn them in after that.

ChubbyGuy40
Actually, Shenmue did that before RE4. It was also a shtick with games like Dragon's Lair.
ebrezzy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ebrezzy1
Member since 2012 • 1427 Posts

[QUOTE="Obviously_Right"]

[QUOTE="ebrezzy1"]

God of War 3

/>

more QTE's plz

BPoole96

Is that actually true? That's very surprising considering GoW is one of the few games that has ever used QTEs effectively

depends how its used and GoW uses it very well ... that f*cking game is crazy lol

megadeth1117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 megadeth1117
Member since 2010 • 1830 Posts

I wouldn't say I "enjoy" them, but I'd take a QTE over a frustrating boss encounter a thousand times over. Nothing kills pacing worse than a nasty difficulty spike .

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

only games this gen that made them actually fun were the Dead Space games.

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

Resident Evil 4 was a fantastic game that utilized QTE's to great effect and helped popularize them, and I've loved them pretty much ever since.

Dat Krauser fight.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

I didn't mind it in Heavy Rain, mostly because the whole game was QTE's and if you failed one it's not like you "started over" - you just branched the story of the game differently. The ones in God of War don't bother me as much either, because they are really simple and hard to fail. So it's more like little mini-games than overbearing QTE's, plus usally if you do "miss" on one of the QTE's it's just a finishing move on a boss or something, so the penalty is you lose a little bit of health and have to get a few more hits on the boss. But it's not like you have to restart the whole section because of a failed QTE (which is incredibly cheap, Capcom loves doing that)

The first time I remember being annoyed by them was RE4, and that's because I was playing on hard and remember failing the things CONSTANTLY. Was $@$-ing annoying. I actually remember that one being annoying because alot of them started out seeming like cutscenes, so I would relax... then all of a sudden a QTE would pop up out of nowhere and $@%$%... I'm dead. Hated that.

Of the gameplay footage/previews I've witnessed of RE6 and Tomb Raider those games seem to be pushing the whole QTE thing way, way too far. It is a bit of a scourge on the gaming industry but it only really detracts from certain games.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
My guess is that QTE's are easier to make than cgi cutscenes. For the rest, I don't know. I don't dislike them but they're just useless.
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
Cant think of any sony exclusives really except GoW
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
I don't like them on anything, even in RE4. They weren't bad in it, but they didn't add anything for me. If QTE's were to die tomorrow, I'd be ok with that. Because then developers would have to actually try to get creative. Having a QTE is saying "Ok we can't do this cool segment while still having you play so we're just gonna make you press buttons to give you the illusion." If someone enjoys them, fine, but you're very easily entertained.
padaporra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 padaporra
Member since 2005 • 3508 Posts

QTE when properly used are great. RE4 is probably one of the best examples.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#33 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts
[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

PannicAtack
Actually, Shenmue did that before RE4. It was also a shtick with games like Dragon's Lair.

They were the first, but RE4 (and God of War arguably) were the first games to make it into a trend. You don't always have to be the first to be the benchmark.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I'd rather take quick time events instead of simply watching a cutscene. I don't understand what is wrong with them. People need to understand that there are games with good quick time events that can make the experience better (Dead Space, God of War, Heavy Rain, Modern Warfare.) However, there are games that have simply AWFUL QTEs which can RUIN the game (Uncharted 1, Battlefield 3, The Witcher 2, Spider Man 3)

People can't simply say "why" QTEs are bad. A lot of games handle quick time events in different ways, they can be bad for a lot of different reasons. My least favorite QTEs come from games that hardly use QTEs. In games like Uncharted 1 and The Witcher 2, the QTEs are infrequent and come out of nowhere. It leads to frustrating encounters which ruin the atmosphere severely.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#35 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

[QUOTE="percech"]

CajunShooter

It is actually creating interactive cinematic segments which use to be times of just putting down the controller so QTEs create more gameplay.

It's funny but now in many cases when I am playing a game and action starts up in a cutscene I tense for what I am sure is an impending QTE...not an impending game sequence but a QTE. It is even more disturbing because many of the situations the characters are in could have been done with the regular gameplay mechanics. It makes no sense. Shenmue was to my knowledge the first game that had QTEs and the game that did them best: i. The buttons pressed corresponded to the button configuration used for battles. ii. Reponse was immediate, tactile and short. It wasn't a case of pressing A and then seeing a long special attack or scripted sequence play out. You hit left, dodged immediately to the left (or immediately bumped into something) and then the scene would continue. iii. Made allowance for QTE failure. As noted in ii. Not every QTE in Shenmue was a win-lose situation. Sometimes it simply contributed towards changing the output (too many mistakes and you may lose sight of the person you are chasing or end up confronting them differently). All the above design choices helped enhance player agency. Most QTEs in games now however slow down and wait for me to give the game permission to continue, at which point another long sequence of scripted events is played out. I'm not sure why the QTE even exists in these cases because the illusion of agency is so unconvincingly thin that the sequence might as well be a cutscene to begin with.
IAmNot_fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 IAmNot_fun
Member since 2010 • 3336 Posts
I like QTEs when they are done well and not overdone. It isnt the best, but its a lot more interactive than just watching a cinematic, plus it gives a break from the norm.
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#37 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
QTE's are a trend that will either evolve or die. Right now cinematic gameplay is all the rage, with gameplay taking a back seat in order to make the game look more epic than it really is. It's developer laziness and it hurts sales. I'm convinced of it. Look at the devs who can basically print money like Blizzard, Bethesda and Nintendo. Very few QTEs.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts
I don't mind them.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BPoole96
Cant think of any sony exclusives really except GoWthemajormayor
Heavy Rain and Heavenly Sword. Uncharted as some as well.
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
[QUOTE="themajormayor"]Cant think of any sony exclusives really except GoWBPoole96
Heavy Rain and Heavenly Sword. Uncharted as some as well.

I don't think either had the impact to make it "take off". And it's to a very minimal extent in Uncharted.
faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts
BF3 campaign sucked so hard with this QTE BS.
-Patrick_92-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 -Patrick_92-
Member since 2008 • 2168 Posts

I don't have a problem with them, if done right. The QTEs in God of War are fine in my opinion, like somebody said earlier, pressing L3 and R3 at the same time emulate you gouging out a bosses eyes was awesome. I did not enjoy them in BF3 though, felt like they were shoehorned in the game and felt really out of place.

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

BF3 campaign sucked so hard with this QTE BS.faizan_faizan

BF3 campaign would've sucked even if it was devoid of QTEs.

hope they ditch the SP for BF4 and put their efforts into a better Co-Op.

g0ddyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts

The best game that has QTE.. is SHENMUE.

shenmue-quick-time-event.jpg

M25zeGlsQlR4U0kx_o_shenmue-qte-title-cha

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

[QUOTE="faizan_faizan"]BF3 campaign sucked so hard with this QTE BS.HavocV3

BF3 campaign would've sucked even if it was devoid of QTEs.

hope they ditch the SP for BF4 and put their efforts into a better Co-Op.

I hope the opposite. The single player was somewhat tolerable, but the co-op was beyond awful.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#46 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

They where good in Shenmue and the where good in Indigo Prophecy. Other tan that I cant think of any other game i like them in. I just wish theyd stop putting pointless half assed qte efforst in first person shooters when they arent even needed.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
its used for cinematic flare.
Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Riadon2
Member since 2011 • 1598 Posts

Some interaction is better than no interaction. I like them, unless they are out of place.

RoccoHout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 RoccoHout
Member since 2011 • 1086 Posts

Most of the time QTE's are basically in any story based games, like Heavy Rain and the Walking Dead. I don't mind them in these games, its still better then just watching cutscenes.

The way they did it in BF3 was kinda bad, and mine got even bugged at some point where you just couldn't win the QTE. Funny thing is that my ally is basically doing nothing while my enemy is trying to stab me...

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Most of the time QTE's are basically in any story based games, like Heavy Rain and the Walking Dead. I don't mind them in these games, its still better then just watching cutscenes.

The way they did it in BF3 was kinda bad, and mine got even bugged at some point where you just couldn't win the QTE. Funny thing is that my ally is basically doing nothing while my enemy is trying to stab me...

RoccoHout

I would've found the QTE in Heavy Rain tolerable if it wasn't for the Six-axis sequences especially early in the game. I'm not really in the mood to shake my DS3 rapidly just to brush my teeth or swing it (the stick) around to open a closet.