Hyped games that you think will blow.

• 115 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Overthrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Overthrow
Member since 2004 • 7025 Posts

I'll start.

Mass Effect: Another KOTOR. Bunch of dialogue, "personality quiz" gameplay, weak combat. Oh, but teh graphics!

MGS4: I'm surprised how popular this series even is. I figured you really have to be a certain kind of gamer to enjoy MGS, i.e the kind who doesn't enjoy playing, but does enjoy 10-40 minute cutscenes every few minutes. Oh well, I suppose if you find the whole pseudo-coherent drug induced plotline interesting, you'll gladly buy all the sequels to the movie... er, game.

Fallout 3: Alright, I'll admit I never played Fallout. All I know is it's from the same people who made Elder Scrolls, a series that, since the original Morrowind, been plagued by a dreary, sterile atmosphere, boring combat, and lack of focus. The open-endedness falls short trying to emulate the freedom of the real-world, in that everything looks the same, feels dead, and the only value in exploring it is realizing that "yes, you can go there." I'd be happy to know how Fallout seperates itself from this.

Heavenly Sword: Most non-PS3 fanboys will agree that this simply looks like a God of War ripoff, and besides prettier graphics and a "stance" mechanic, it hasn't shown any evidence that it's not. I'm a huge fan of hack n' slashers, but I have no idea why this is hyped to the extent that it is. It's just so generic. Probably just a much needed showcase of PS3's hardware, particularly with tons of crap happening on screen.

No More Heroes: Well, I've watched the videos, I've read the previews. I must say that it's ugly as hell. I mean, typically games show either good art direction or technical prowess, and this game has neither. I saw a guy get sliced in half vertically like a piece of paper (it actually looked like he was made of paper). From what I've seen, most of the game is 1 on 1 sword fights that look non too exciting. The voice acting is also terrible. I realize people didn't expect much from Killer 7 either, but unless they deliver something totally different from what the previews are showing, I call this a flop.

This is what I can think of at the moment.

Bansheesdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 Bansheesdie
Member since 2004 • 15057 Posts

Mass Effect: Another KOTOR. Bunch of dialogue, "personality quiz" gameplay, weak combat. Oh, but teh graphics!Overthrow

So basically the best RPG in a long time?

Nintendo_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Nintendo_Man
Member since 2003 • 19733 Posts

Fallout 3.

EDIT: Killzone 2 for sure.

MADVLAD123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 MADVLAD123
Member since 2005 • 6053 Posts

Another KOTOR? I hope so. Since it it was so fun and scored AAA here on gamespot...

As for hyped games that I think will blow:

Killzone 2 and Lair that's all I can think about.

Choga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Choga
Member since 2006 • 2377 Posts
Killzone 2
Bansheesdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Bansheesdie
Anywho...Blacksite. Are people still hyping this? I remember seeing it on a couple of ill-conceived Best FPS lists. Why? Who the F* knows.
lordseer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 lordseer
Member since 2004 • 4671 Posts

This is just a personal feeling. I feel that MGS 4 will suck for me but everyone else will call it the greatest game ever.

I am excited to play it but I have a lot of doubt as to whether I'll enjoy. I want to enjoy it but getting past the damn sony controllers is near impossible for me. I couldn't make it through the first level in MGS 3 because I just didn't enjoy it.

I amreally hoping I am wrong because it will be one of the main reasons I buy a ps3.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Fallout 3 will blow no matter how much hype it receives. It has been Bethesda'd.

Mass Effect, Heavenly Sword and No More Heroes look like they are going to be great games.
gamergeekgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gamergeekgeek
Member since 2006 • 3395 Posts
lair and killzone1.5
Overthrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Overthrow

[QUOTE="Overthrow"] Mass Effect: Another KOTOR. Bunch of dialogue, "personality quiz" gameplay, weak combat. Oh, but teh graphics!Bansheesdie

So basically the best RPG in a long time?

Sure, if you enjoy what was posted after that.

Bansheesdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Bansheesdie

Sure, if you enjoy what was posted after that.Overthrow

Didn't you forget best RPG of the year? Yes, yes you did.

kage_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 kage_53
Member since 2006 • 12671 Posts
Fallout 3. Bethesda + popular PC games + consoles= a shadow of its former self. And Heavenly Sword is hyped because it won about 11 awards during last years E3. Check Ninja Theory's website.
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

Mass Effect could be great, I haven't played KOTOR enough to really base it off of that.

MGS is known as a great series, and yeah I guess that's what the extra Blu-Ray disc size is going to be used for: cutscenes. Doesn't mean it'll be bad. I've only played the first one for about 10 minutes...so I really can't give an approximation of this one (MGS4).

Heavenly Sword - I agree. It looks entirely like a GOW ripoff, and really makes me believe it's going to pull a N3 here. Tons of enemies, same boring combos, and simple button mashing boss fights...

No More Heroes has a great art direction, but I do agree about the video with the slicing vertically. That part of the video really made me wonder if the combat would be that great, since it was advertised as being more violent than Manhunt 2 (hah, with the AO news and all...).

I think games like KZ2 have too much hype for the amount that we've seen. Halo 3 also, since the Multiplayer didn't impress many (like myself), they need to show single player.

Overthrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Overthrow

[QUOTE="Overthrow"]Sure, if you enjoy what was posted after that.Bansheesdie

No, I remember Gamespot really liked it. That's why I said "Games that you think will blow." I think KOTOR blows, and by extension, I think Mass Effect will blow.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
Fallout 3 will blow no matter how much hype it receives. It has been Bethesda'd.

Mass Effect, Heavenly Sword and No More Heroes look like they are going to be great games.foxhound_fox
Did you read the new preview? It actually gave me a little hope that it would stick close to its rpg roots. It has 3rd person!
soldier-dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 soldier-dark
Member since 2005 • 5909 Posts
Lair, just for the reason that the gameplay looks completely boring to me.
WOWZORS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 WOWZORS
Member since 2004 • 484 Posts
I cant believe all you fanboys dont mention Too Human or Halo 3. Personally I KNOW halo 3 will suck because i hated the first 2, then again i have been suprised, I love forza 2. As for too human, Im just not impressed, dont even bother arguing with these statements they are my opinion, and I wont even take yours into consideration and vice versa.
Sparky04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Sparky04
Member since 2006 • 3390 Posts
Uncharted.
TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts

Killzone 2, because the first one did.

(I expected Halo 3 to be first on this list)

Dualshockin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Dualshockin
Member since 2006 • 7826 Posts
After reading the previews of people who played Halo 3,I must say Bungie either need to put in a whole lot of work between now and the release date or ultimately delay the game,because it will not live up to the hype if released with the features that it currently contains.
gamergeekgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gamergeekgeek
Member since 2006 • 3395 Posts
[QUOTE="Bansheesdie"]

[QUOTE="Overthrow"]Sure, if you enjoy what was posted after that.Overthrow

No, I remember Gamespot really liked it. That's why I said "Games that you think will blow." I think KOTOR blows, and by extension, I think Mass Effect will blow.

this page says your opinion blows
http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages4/556553.asp

Overthrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Overthrow

Killzone 2, because the first one did.

(I expected Halo 3 to be first on this list)

TheSystemLord1

Well, I just don't think the Halo series "blows," per se. The games are fun to play and are very accessible, just ridiculously overrated.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 foxhound_fox
Did you read the new preview? It actually gave me a little hope that it would stick close to its rpg roots. It has 3rd person!Vandalvideo

Did you see the new interview? http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21125.html

It will only be a shadow of its former self and have Bethesda's take on player interaction with NPC's. It will also lack the humour that only Black Ilse could deliver. I have no faith in Bethesda to do anything but ruin the franchise. And I only started playing Fallout a couple weeks ago.
soldier-dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 soldier-dark
Member since 2005 • 5909 Posts

Mass Effect: Another KOTOR. Bunch of dialogue, "personality quiz" gameplay, weak combat. Oh, but teh graphics!

Overthrow
You do know that the combat system is completely different from KOTOR?
Choga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Choga

After reading the previews of people who played Halo 3,I must say Bungie either need to put in a whole lot of work between now and the release date or ultimately delay the game,because it will not live up to the hype if released with the features that it currently contains.Dualshockin

That's a load of BS. I played the beta when it was out almost every day, and the only thing wrong with it was how effed up the needler was.

Overthrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Overthrow
[QUOTE="Overthrow"][QUOTE="Bansheesdie"]

[QUOTE="Overthrow"]Sure, if you enjoy what was posted after that.gamergeekgeek

this page says your opinion blows
http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/556553.asp?q=kotor

I posted a thread a few days ago about this. A number of people on this board agreed with me. Check my post history.

Bansheesdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Bansheesdie

After reading the previews of people who played Halo 3,I must say Bungie either need to put in a whole lot of work between now and the release date or ultimately delay the game,because it will not live up to the hype if released with the features that it currently contains.Dualshockin

This is what IGN had to say about Halo 3s multiplayer today, and I can give you a link if you want.

The Halo series brings with it a sizzle that most franchises just can't muster; Halo 3's mechanics are razor sharp and deserving of all the critical praise the series has received so far. What's even more exciting is the idea that this is just a fraction of a segment of the game. We know next to nothing about the single-player campaign and the number of maps yet to be revealed outnumbers those that have. And that's why we're excited.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

Lair - I dunno, maybe it's just me.

Spore - I still don't get the hype around this game, even though I know all about it.

Guitar Hero 3 - It'll just be more of the same.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Spartan070

[QUOTE="Dualshockin"]After reading the previews of people who played Halo 3,I must say Bungie either need to put in a whole lot of work between now and the release date or ultimately delay the game,because it will not live up to the hype if released with the features that it currently contains.Choga

That's a load of BS. I played the beta when it was out almost every day, and the only thing wrong with it was how effed up the needler was.

:o the Needler has, does and always will pwn.
Choga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Choga
[QUOTE="Choga"]

[QUOTE="Dualshockin"]After reading the previews of people who played Halo 3,I must say Bungie either need to put in a whole lot of work between now and the release date or ultimately delay the game,because it will not live up to the hype if released with the features that it currently contains.Spartan070

Only if you're a nub who uses it...

ferrarimanf355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ferrarimanf355
Member since 2005 • 1884 Posts

Gran Turismo 5, especially if it has no car damage.

::waits for Nobuo to flame me::

shadow_hosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#32 shadow_hosi
Member since 2006 • 9543 Posts

I'll start.

MGS4: I'm surprised how popular this series even is. I figured you really have to be a certain kind of gamer to enjoy MGS, i.e the kind who doesn't enjoy playing, but does enjoy 10-40 minute cutscenes every few minutes. Oh well, I suppose if you find the whole pseudo-coherent drug induced plotline interesting, you'll gladly buy all the sequels to the movie... er, game.

Fallout 3: Alright, I'll admit I never played Fallout. All I know is it's from the same people who made Elder Scrolls, a series that, since the original Morrowind, been plagued by a dreary, sterile atmosphere, boring combat, and lack of focus. The open-endedness falls short trying to emulate the freedom of the real-world, in that everything looks the same, feels dead, and the only value in exploring it is realizing that "yes, you can go there." I'd be happy to know how Fallout seperates itself from this.

Heavenly Sword: Most non-PS3 fanboys will agree that this simply looks like a God of War ripoff, and besides prettier graphics and a "stance" mechanic, it hasn't shown any evidence that it's not. I'm a huge fan of hack n' slashers, but I have no idea why this is hyped to the extent that it is. It's just so generic. Probably just a much needed showcase of PS3's hardware, particularly with tons of crap happening on screen.

No More Heroes: Well, I've watched the videos, I've read the previews. I must say that it's ugly as hell. I mean, typically games show either good art direction or technical prowess, and this game has neither. I saw a guy get sliced in half vertically like a piece of paper (it actually looked like he was made of paper). From what I've seen, most of the game is 1 on 1 sword fights that look non too exciting. The voice acting is also terrible. I realize people didn't expect much from Killer 7 either, but unless they deliver something totally different from what the previews are showing, I call this a flop.

This is what I can think of at the moment.

Overthrow

morrowind origional? no, you fail, morrowind was the worst in the series, the origional was arena, then came daggerfall

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 foxhound_fox
Spore - I still don't get the hype around this game, even though I know all about it. Spartan070

Three words. Will. Wright. Evolution.

Here is a video to satiate your palate.
lazurusKfP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lazurusKfP
Member since 2006 • 82 Posts

I'm with you on mass effect and heavenly sword...

mass effect will be another KOTOR... the gameplay in that aformentioned title was so-so at best, and that is being very generous. In addition KOTOR was carried by the SW backdrop and mythology to carry its flimsy story. Keep in mind this is one mans opinion not fact, but its still dosn't make a AAA title for me no matter how many american gamers like this style of 'rpg'.

heavenly sword had alot of promise in my mind save for one mechanic that might kill it for me... and that is the swords that eat your life if your not attacking something. Nothing like a mechanic that forces you to ignore the all the beautiful scenery and graphics and encourages mindless button mashing. If this turns out to be a limited factor or minimal it might be salvagable, but prince of persia did this in its evolution and it killed an otherwise beautiful game for me.

MSG4... not with you there. I'm not one for the lengthy FMV sequences normally, but in this die-hard esc one man against the world story I make an exception. The gameplay usually isn't much above resident evil, but I always went for that game too ;).

All hyped FPS from this point on in my mind are not AAA unless they introduce something new... this genre is sooo popular and it never changes or adds anything new in the gameplay department. Crysis gives me hope in that they are adding everything into a shooter rather than here and there choices (good graphics, destructable environments, adaptation of enemies, character depth, rpg abilities/elements, and vehicles). again opinion not fact.

Hopefully these titles will surprise me... but I won't be holding my breath

Overthrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Overthrow

morrowind origional? no, you fail, morrowind was the worst in the series, the origional was arena, then came daggerfall

shadow_hosi

I said "original Morrowind," not original "Elder Scrolls." As in, the Elder Scrolls series started sucking after Morrowind came out (followed by expansions, then Oblivion).

MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MikeE21286
Member since 2003 • 10405 Posts

No More Heroes

Eternal Sonata

Too Human

(I'll be back with more, food is burning)

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#37 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
Uncharted, Too Human, Metroid Prime 3, and Lair. I think Lair and Metroid Prime 3 will gain a good crictical reception, but I personally think those games will blow.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

Lost Odessey

Heavenly Sword

No More Heros

Too Human

Dualshockin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Dualshockin
Member since 2006 • 7826 Posts

[QUOTE="Dualshockin"]After reading the previews of people who played Halo 3,I must say Bungie either need to put in a whole lot of work between now and the release date or ultimately delay the game,because it will not live up to the hype if released with the features that it currently contains.Choga

Did you read what other gaming journalists had to say about it? I remember that dude from GameTrailers even called it "Halo 2 in Hi-def" or something along those lines.
shadow_hosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 shadow_hosi
[QUOTE="shadow_hosi"]

Overthrow

I said "original Morrowind," not original "Elder Scrolls." As in, the Elder Scrolls series started sucking after Morrowind came out (followed by expansions, then Oblivion).

morrowidn is garbage, oblivion is the saving grace of the series, oh wait, i forgot, when you shoot them with an arrow, and watch it enter their body, you want a dice roll to see if it really hits, my bad, you want to play table top rpgs, cus, when i play a graphic-based rpg, if i watch an arrow enter the body, that means it hits, not that there is a dice roll about the hit

Overthrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Overthrow

heavenly sword had alot of promise in my mind save for one mechanic that might kill it for me... and that is the swords that eat your life if your not attacking something. Nothing like a mechanic that forces you to ignore the all the beautiful scenery and graphics and encourages mindless button mashing. If this turns out to be a limited factor or minimal it might be salvagable, but prince of persia did this in its evolution and it killed an otherwise beautiful game for me.

lazurusKfP

Oh god, you can't be serious. I didn't even know about that. That absolutely killed Otogi 2 for me, which would've been an otherwise great game. This one will definitely fail now :(.

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#42 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts

Lost Odessey

Heavenly Sword

No More Heros

Too Human

goblaa

I forgot about No More Heroes. That game is going to blow like the wind.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Spartan070
[QUOTE="Spartan070"][QUOTE="Choga"]

Choga

Don't be mad that you aren't skilled with it/get pwned by it.

Choga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Choga
[QUOTE="Choga"]

[QUOTE="Dualshockin"]After reading the previews of people who played Halo 3,I must say Bungie either need to put in a whole lot of work between now and the release date or ultimately delay the game,because it will not live up to the hype if released with the features that it currently contains.Dualshockin

Did you read what other gaming journalists had to say about it? I remember that dude from GameTrailers even called it "Halo 2 in Hi-def" or something along those lines.

Yes I did

Like I said, the only thing wrong with Halo 3 multiplayer since the last time I played it is the needler being wayyyyy overpowered.

Avatar image for ReverseCycology
ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ReverseCycology
Member since 2006 • 9717 Posts

When I think about the original topic, only PS3 comes to mind. Uncharted, Lair, Home, Heavenly Sword, Warhawk, and Killzone 2.

Choga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Choga
[QUOTE="Choga"][QUOTE="Spartan070"][QUOTE="Choga"]

Spartan070

Don't be mad that you aren't skilled with it/get pwned by it.

:lol: Thats like saying "Don't be mad that you aren't skilled with the sword/get pwned by it." No such thing as skill involved in shooting the needler.

MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MikeE21286
Member since 2003 • 10405 Posts

When I think about the original topic, only PS3 comes to mind. Uncharted, Lair, Home, Heavenly Sword, Warhawk, and Killzone 2.

ReverseCycology

and that's probably why you will never own a PS3.

Overthrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Overthrow
[QUOTE="Overthrow"][QUOTE="shadow_hosi"]

shadow_hosi

morrowidn is garbage, oblivion is the saving grace of the series, oh wait, i forgot, when you shoot them with an arrow, and watch it enter their body, you want a dice roll to see if it really hits, my bad, you want to play table top rpgs, cus, when i play a graphic-based rpg, if i watch an arrow enter the body, that means it hits, not that there is a dice roll about the hit

After expressing my distaste for KOTOR and its combat system, why on earth would you think I like diceroll combat? Or are you just grasping for straws, trying to find ways to attack me just because your opinion is different from mine? But alright, I'll be fair: Oblivion's archery was the best part of its otherwise lousy combat system. It annoyed me in particular because I almost always go melee over ranged and magic.

Trading_Zoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#49 Trading_Zoner
Member since 2007 • 4100 Posts
i think halo 3 may not quite live up to the other two.
shadow_hosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 shadow_hosi
[QUOTE="shadow_hosi"][QUOTE="Overthrow"][QUOTE="shadow_hosi"]

Overthrow

After expressing my distaste for KOTOR and its combat system, why on earth would you think I like diceroll combat? Or are you just grasping for straws, trying to find ways to attack me just because your opinion is different from mine? But alright, I'll be fair: Oblivion's archery was the best part of its combat system.

morrowind is nothing BUT diceroll combat, you can stab them in the face, and it rolls a dice, so, if you love morrowind so much, then yes, you must like diceroll combat