How will MGSV succeed when the combat is putrid?

• 77 results
Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@kinectthedots said:
@soapandbubbles said:
@kinectthedots said:
@soapandbubbles said:

the cqc takedowns/combat animations and overall look is unsatisfying and downright pathetic....(COMPARED TO WHAT?)

They could learn from splinter cell.

WTF?

What kind of idiotic statement is that? Splinter cell gameplay is shit, in fact the last splinter cell was trying to do everything it could to imitate everything that is MGS.

Listen goof, MGS has the most realistic, detailed, fluid and immersive combat & takedown of any other game in it's field. There is no other action advenure or stelth game that beats MGS in combat or gameplay period.

Just tell me you were trolling and we'll forget this ever happened.

Control that ego and calm down, how is splinter cell gameplay sh*t? You sound like a hardcore MGS fanboy who probably hasn't even bothered playing splinter cell to find out. In terms of satisfying and better animated takedown cqc, Splinter cell conviction/black list....wins.

Loading Video...

LMAO, and THAT was the Splinter Cell I was talking about that was trying to be MGS haha thanks for proving my point. The earlier SC titles were devoid of any of this type of combat but it still falls behind the depth and intricacy of MGS.

These SC enemies with 0 AI (walking dummies) that stand and wait for you to **** them up impresses you?

That stuff pales compared to MGS. First of all what's up with the auto aim shit going on here? And the enemies don't even seem alive, he can just walk up to them as if he's invisible and start pulling of jason borne moves lol wack. While trying hard to be MGS this fails on complexity.

The interaction between MGS enemies is far more realistic and diversified than anything in SC. When you hold up in SC you are limited to a predetermined line indicating he's being held up but in MGS you he multiple options on how to interact, Interrogation, threats, knock out, chock unconscious, choke kill, knife kill, making them signal other enemies...man the stuff SC is doing is basic.

When holding up in MGS the enemy will actually try to get the jump on you with a gun, run away, or try to signal for backup. In MGS you can knock out an enemy and kick them to wake them up again. The enemies aren't automatically knocked out or killed when you do a combo either, they can and do actually fight back. Any enemy in MGS and use and transition from knife, gun and hand to hand combat dynamically at any moment in gameplay.

When the enemy being thrown off the building he barely even make a sound LMAO. MGS was doing that a long time ago and more realistically. When enemies are shot or wounded in MGS if it's not a vital area they will remain wounded and still fight back but end up dying from blood loss later.

All you are showing is a bunch of compilation clips of Sam preforming jason borne moves on brain dead enemies, it's like they are lifeless dolls rather than the grown men they are supposed to be. That SC vid you showed isn't that great, but it's the best they can do trying to catch up to the depth of MGS. If you like shallow or simplified games I can see SC being your thing.

Splinter Cell is a better stealth game; typing 1000 words will not change reality. A reality that will exist, forever.

LMFAO, how many 10's did Splinter Cell games get?

...and I like splinter cell.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@soapandbubbles said:

So far from the truth, i just simply don't like the poor animated combat seen in MGSV. MGS from 1 - 3 had more satisfying hand to hand combat/take downs, IMO.

MGS1

• Can only grab enemy from immediate leg hump range. Choke the chicken until neck snaps.
  • PPK combo with little impact.

MGS2

• Can only grab enemy from immediate leg hump range. Choke the chicken until neck snaps. Take a hostage and feel lucky if he doesn't pass out in your arms. Essentially useless.
  • PPK combo with little impact.
  • Hip toss an enemy as if you're lightly laying them down. Better duck out because they're standing right back up.

MGS3

• Grab an enemy from a crazy proximity, but at any angle finally. Choke until they pass out or slit the throat... which of course is linked to pressure sensitivity, so don't mash circle too hard.
  • Ground slam for a knock out. Same as above, crazy proximity, any angle.
  • Same hostage taking mechanic as MGS2, but now you can aim and shoot... that is, if you have 60 double jointed fingers.
  • Another weak PPK combo.

Ground Zeroes

• Grab an enemy from an actual realistic proximity for once.
  • From there throw them in any direction accompanied by context sensitive animation for the first time.
  • Or slit the throat.
  • Or choke them out in a realistic fashion for once. No chicken choking, yay.
  • Grab enemy and hold or slam from cover or over obstacles.
  • Multitudes of different slams dependent on attack angle and surrounding objects, without using a hold first.
  • Punch combo with impact. Looks more realistic than before and knocks the enemy out cold.
  • Punch combo linked into disarm and hold up. Fucking bad ass, why didn't they have this before? And of course from there you can make him get on the ground, spill the beans, or call his "friends" in any order.
  • Spear a mother fucker like Goldberg.
  • Pick up a mother fucker and toss him into a group of mother fuckers.
  • Taking a hostage actually works and doesn't require finger gymnastics. Enter in and out of aim easily, move, crouch, etc.. all smoothly. It's actually very useful now.
  • CQC combos with a group of enemies in vicinity. So now Big Boss being a CQC bad ass isn't just a cutscene deal.
  • Kick or stomp enemies on the ground. Without punching the air twice to do so.

^

And all of that intertwined with the best movement and gunplay in the series. No more lazy-jog running, no more being limited to waist high obstacles, no more spinning on a pivot, now transitioning from prone to crouch to walk to run is smoother than any game around. You can dive, roll to the side, pop up into a sprint and smoothly transition into the prone seamlessly.

No more dragging enemies around like 200lb mops. No more awkward cover snapping. Finally some real shadow play that isn't just a spot here and there like MGS2 and MGS3. And this shadow play is actually subtle and somewhat realistic, unlike Splinter Cell.

And this is just Ground Zeroes. Things have been tightened even further for MGSV and the move set has been expanded upon.

You're free to have your opinion man. Just recognize that it's a bullshit opinion.

soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By soapandbubbles
Member since 2010 • 3412 Posts

@ConanTheStoner: you give yourself too much credit, conan. Stating the obvious in a wall of text doesnt make u appear intelligent. My opinion was based around the unsatisfying poorly animated cqc/takedowns.... It cant be bullshit, the only thing bullshit is your blind mgs fanboyant ego.... Keep it in check.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@soapandbubbles said:
@nini200 said:

Trying to find a way to bash MGSV now that Kojima left huh TC?

So far from the truth, i just simply don't like the poor animated combat seen in MGSV. MGS from 1 - 3 had more satisfying hand to hand combat/take downs, IMO.

Ok just wondering. You know how that tends to happen with games if something like the Kojima situation happens

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#55 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Splinter is dead , MGS is live.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#56 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9730 Posts

The combat in MGSV would be great.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#57  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

Yeah, MGS5 won't have a million different animationswhen you one-hit KO a guard so you feel like what you did was cool. That has no bearing on the gameplay.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 ConanTheStoner  Online

@soapandbubbles said:

@ConanTheStoner: you give yourself too much credit, conan. Stating the obvious in a wall of text doesnt make u appear intelligent. My opinion was based around the unsatisfying poorly animated cqc/takedowns.... It cant be bullshit, the only thing bullshit is your blind mgs fanboyant ego.... Keep it in check.

Nah, this is just a lazy cop out of a response.

This is exactly what you said.

"i just simply don't like the poor animated combat seen in MGSV. MGS from 1 - 3 had more satisfying hand to hand combat/take downs, IMO."

And I gave you a thorough response. Ground Zeroes allows you to do much more than the previous games, much more efficiently than the previous games, and it's all done with far better animations than the previous games.

You call it a wall of text, but had I not given the full response you would still be spinning your wheels. Now you've been neutered and my job here is done. Now your only outlet is to respond to facts with some weak sauce insults.

"the only thing bullshit is your blind mgs fanboyant ego.... Keep it in check."

Quite the argument there bro. Even making up words and all. And no. I probably spend more time calling out the flaws in MGS than praising it. You can even check a recent conversation in the lounge.

However, I do call bullshit when I see it and that's exactly what you brought to the table.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#59 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

@happyduds77:

u can beat GZ in 7m......

soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 soapandbubbles

@ConanTheStoner said:
@soapandbubbles said:

Nah, this is just a lazy cop out of a response.

This is exactly what you said.

"i just simply don't like the poor animated combat seen in MGSV. MGS from 1 - 3 had more satisfying hand to hand combat/take downs, IMO."

And I gave you a thorough response. Ground Zeroes allows you to do much more than the previous games, much more efficiently than the previous games, and it's all done with far better animations than the previous games.

You call it a wall of text, but had I not given the full response you would still be spinning your wheels. Now you've been neutered and my job here is done. Now your only outlet is to respond to facts with some weak sauce insults.

"the only thing bullshit is your blind mgs fanboyant ego.... Keep it in check."

Quite the argument there bro. Even making up words and all. And no. I probably spend more time calling out the flaws in MGS than praising it. You can even check a recent conversation in the lounge.

However, I do call bullshit when I see it and that's exactly what you brought to the table.

Nah, Bro, bullshit, weak sauce.......and the winner is:"Now you've been neutered and my job here is done "- A true internet Warrior

I can't take you seriously. As for my quote, MGS1-3 had more SATISFYING combat system, it was simple yet effective, from the kicks to the neck snapping, it felt good....i hope this isn't beyond your comprehension. As for GZ having better animations, thats an opinion, i think it has worse, due to how its performed and how quick and unsatisfying it really is.....IN MY OPINION.

Take care.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#61 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

Saying "in my opinion" to everything is no more than a way to laughably mask how shitty your opinion truly is.

But I suppose that's just my opinion, right?

soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By soapandbubbles

@drinkerofjuice said:

Saying "in my opinion" to everything is no more than a way to laughably mask how shitty your opinion truly is.

But I suppose that's just my opinion, right?

well yeah it is...lol.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 ConanTheStoner  Online

@soapandbubbles said:

Now I'm just trying to save face.

I know.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

always loved mgs combat. maybe you should go play garbage like batman and ass creed. button mashing garbage.

soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 soapandbubbles

@ConanTheStoner: but i dont like what i see in mgsv combat system?

soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By soapandbubbles

@ps4hasnogames: why do people get so mad

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 ConanTheStoner  Online

@soapandbubbles said:

Well, sorry about your luck then.

Just don't try playing the victim man. You went out of your way to make a thread calling it putrid and poor. Don't be surprised when people push back with equal force. Especially when you're in the microscopic minority. Of all the complaints I've heard leveled towards GZ and TPP, this one is a first.

Maybe if you came off less rash about it in your OP and actually did more to support your opinion than simply saying "muh opinions" then this thread would have gone differently.

You didn't invite discussion. You invited people to unload on you. And in turn you tell us we're mad, fanboys, internet warriors, big egos, etc.

You're actually trying to tel us that you think this is better than what's in GZ:

Loading Video...

What are we supposed to say?

That's one of my all time favorite games btw. I hate that I'm having to throw it under the bus in this thread, but it simply doesn't hold up to Kojimas latest from a gameplay standpoint.

soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By soapandbubbles

@ConanTheStoner said:
@soapandbubbles said:

Well, sorry about your luck then.

Just don't try playing the victim man. You went out of your way to make a thread calling it putrid and poor. Don't be surprised when people push back with equal force. Especially when you're in the microscopic minority. Of all the complaints I've heard leveled towards GZ and TPP, this one is a first.

Maybe if you came off less rash about it in your OP and actually did more to support your opinion than simply saying "muh opinions" then this thread would have gone differently.

You didn't invite discussion. You invited people to unload on you. And in turn you tell us we're mad, fanboys, internet warriors, big egos, etc.

You're actually trying to tel us that you think this is better than what's in GZ:

Loading Video...

What are we supposed to say?

That's one of my all time favorite games btw. I hate that I'm having to throw it under the bus in this thread, but it simply doesn't hold up to Kojimas latest from a gameplay standpoint.

haha, i was merely pointing out what this thread is actually about. And why can't you keep you posts short? Again telling as story of text might make you feel better, but you can improvise and be a bit more concrete, can't you?

As for being in the minority (lol microscopic) ....i know a quite huge population who prefer Splinter Cell over MGS.

Also now i need evidence to PROVE MY OPINION?....haha. You're using different argument logic here, mate...it isn't working. You spend too much time on these boards, isn't healthy.

Also, just because i'm probably the only one here complaining about the combat being shit, that all of sudden kills my opinion or some shit? Hows that even possible? If that's indeed what you're implying. For past MGS games i was IMPLYING that the combat and cqc was more satisfying. And for MGSV's combat to be lacking in terms of animations and being poorly done, it just doesn't look good to games like Last of Us, Splinter cell, dues ex, Hitman..hell even Sniper elite 3 etc. Which all IMO have better animated and satisfying stealth/cqc takedowns.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#69 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11294 Posts

@JangoWuzHere said:
@Mozelleple112 said:
@vvulturas said:

Same way every other MGS succeeds. Anyways, what's up with all this fanboy Splinter Cell vs MGS shit? Grow up, they're both great games.

Except one of them is up there with Zelda and Mario as best video game franchise other, and the other is well.. just another stealth franchise.

Both great yes, but one is exceptionally amazing.

Chaos Theory is the best stealth game ever made.

Sure thing, right after MGS4, MGS1, MGS2 and MGS3.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

@soapandbubbles said:

@ps4hasnogames: why do people get so mad

because you have absolutely no idea what good combat is. this actually looks like you have options on how you can kill them and you have to think about the best approach. you're most likely a 16 year old who only knows how to button mash and feels some sort of accomplishment letting the computer do all the work for you.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#71 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@Mozelleple112 said:
@JangoWuzHere said:
@Mozelleple112 said:
@vvulturas said:

Same way every other MGS succeeds. Anyways, what's up with all this fanboy Splinter Cell vs MGS shit? Grow up, they're both great games.

Except one of them is up there with Zelda and Mario as best video game franchise other, and the other is well.. just another stealth franchise.

Both great yes, but one is exceptionally amazing.

Chaos Theory is the best stealth game ever made.

Sure thing, right after MGS4, MGS1, MGS2 and MGS3.

When I think of stealth, I don't think about fighting dancing vampires and taking down jets with stinger missles.

MGS are action games with some stealth elements. Splinter Cell is the very opposite. The later MGS games don't even punish you for going commando.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#72 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

I guess the way the other games in the series have? Because they are great fun? You don't have to like them. I do.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By ConanTheStoner  Online

@soapandbubbles said:

haha, i was merely pointing out what this thread is actually about. And why can't you keep you posts short? Again telling as story of text might make you feel better, but you can improvise and be a bit more concrete, can't you?

As for being in the minority (lol microscopic) ....i know a quite huge population who prefer Splinter Cell over MGS.

Also now i need evidence to PROVE MY OPINION?....haha. You're using different argument logic here, mate...it isn't working. You spend too much time on these boards, isn't healthy.

Also, just because i'm probably the only one here complaining about the combat being shit, that all of sudden kills my opinion or some shit? Hows that even possible? If that's indeed what you're implying. For past MGS games i was IMPLYING that the combat and cqc was more satisfying. And for MGSV's combat to be lacking in terms of animations and being poorly done, it just doesn't look good to games like Last of Us, Splinter cell, dues ex, Hitman..hell even Sniper elite 3 etc. Which all IMO have better animated and satisfying stealth/cqc takedowns.

> Asks why I can't keep my posts short and concrete.

> Responds with an equally lengthy post that is all over the place.

Yes, I know a lot of people prefer Splinter Cell. I was speaking of your complaints about MGSV, not of your preference for SC.

I didn't say you must prove your opinion, what kind of shit is this? I said you should support your opinion. If you have a strong enough opinion on something to start up a dramatic thread, then surely you must have clear reasons/examples to support your opinion, right?

And there you go again in the last paragraph like a fucking parrot lol. "Muh opinionz, muh opinionz!"

You're telling us that past MGS games have more satisfying combat.... ok why? What makes them more satisfying?

In my opinion Ground Zeroes is far more satisfying than the previous titles. Difference here is that I was able to compare and contrast the games with concrete examples listed above.

All you're doing is saying "My opinion, I can't be wrong, leave me alone!"

Anyways. I think we're done here. If you can't respond with something more than repeating that it's your opinion, then don't bother.

OMG LOOK AT ALL THOSE WORDS

soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 soapandbubbles

@ConanTheStoner said:
@soapandbubbles said:

> Asks why I can't keep my posts short and concrete.

> Responds with an equally lengthy post that is all over the place.

Yes, I know a lot of people prefer Splinter Cell. I was speaking of your complaints about MGSV, not of your preference for SC.

I didn't say you must prove your opinion, what kind of shit is this? I said you should support your opinion. If you have a strong enough opinion on something to start up a dramatic thread, then surely you must have clear reasons/examples to support your opinion, right?

And there you go again in the last paragraph like a fucking parrot lol. "Muh opinionz, muh opinionz!"

You're telling us that past MGS games have more satisfying combat.... ok why? What makes them more satisfying?

In my opinion Ground Zeroes is far more satisfying than the previous titles. Difference here is that I was able to compare and contrast the games with concrete examples listed above.

All you're doing is saying "My opinion, I can't be wrong, leave me alone!"

Anyways. I think we're done here. If you can't respond with something more than repeating that it's your opinion, then don't bother.

OMG LOOK AT ALL THOSE WORDS

Stoner indeed.

cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#75 cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1841 Posts

@Gue1 said:

what exactly is wrong with this again?

That's what I said.....guess he's just mad that there's so many things to do but no "neck break"

Omega-316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Omega-316
Member since 2011 • 981 Posts

At the end of the day MGSV will score a 10/10 and get GOTY every where and go on to sell millions while splinter cell kicks rocks with TC wanking it to neck break fetishes.

End thread.

Treblemize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Treblemize
Member since 2015 • 39 Posts

Eh it's always been decent to me, nothing special though, MGS isn't a series that does anything particularly good but is more varied and does things well enough.