How will MGSV succeed when the combat is putrid?

• 77 results
soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By soapandbubbles
Member since 2010 • 3412 Posts

the cqc takedowns/combat animations and overall look is unsatisfying and downright pathetic....

Not only is it worse that we haven't had the classic NECK breaking since mgs2.....yet its the 5th one and we still can't break necks. Call me fussy, but its so satisfying...also, why not work on realistic satisfying animated cqc combat to go along the awesome looking movement and animations?

take a look at how poor it is in ground zeroes:

They could learn from splinter cell.

MannyMayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MannyMayer
Member since 2015 • 7 Posts

The resolution of the video is poor

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

@soapandbubbles said:

the cqc takedowns/combat animations and overall look is unsatisfying and downright pathetic....(COMPARED TO WHAT?)

WTF?

What kind of idiotic statement is that? Splinter cell gameplay is shit, in fact the last splinter cell was trying to do everything it could to imitate everything that is MGS.

Listen goof, MGS has the most realistic, detailed, fluid and immersive combat & takedown of any other game in it's field. There is no other action advenure or stelth game that beats MGS in combat or gameplay period.

Just tell me you were trolling and we'll forget this ever happened.

playharderfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 playharderfool
Member since 2009 • 2085 Posts

@soapandbubbles said:

Show us a video of Splinter Cell gameplay combat animations and sound effects so we can all laugh. Then you should make a quick exit back under your bridge.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

MGSV, all I can say is Day F***in 1 buy for me !!

The_Funyarinpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 The_Funyarinpa
Member since 2015 • 504 Posts

The gameplay is so smooth since 4 and you are going to complain that there isnt a "classic" (that isnt an iconic piece of metal gear) neck-snap??? The CQC animations look great as do the environments in the fox engine. Im getting this day one, I like splinter cell too but metal gear is way better

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

*watches video, sees some of the most fluid and realistic animations and combat interactions seen in all of video games*

So, what am I supposed supposed to be nitpicking at here again?

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

what exactly is wrong with this again?

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

That looked pretty sweet.

A-new-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 A-new-Guardian
Member since 2015 • 2458 Posts

Umm so you want Metal Gear to be Splinter Cell?

If this is poor animation then i don't know what to say. this is nitpicking at this point. the gameplay looks like the best MGS has to offer.

soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 soapandbubbles

@casharmy said:

*watches video, sees some of the most fluid and realistic animations and combat interactions seen in all of video games*

So, what am I supposed supposed to be nitpicking at here again?

ha.....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Metal Gear Solid V will be terrific.

soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 soapandbubbles

@kinectthedots said:
@soapandbubbles said:

the cqc takedowns/combat animations and overall look is unsatisfying and downright pathetic....(COMPARED TO WHAT?)

WTF?

What kind of idiotic statement is that? Splinter cell gameplay is shit, in fact the last splinter cell was trying to do everything it could to imitate everything that is MGS.

Listen goof, MGS has the most realistic, detailed, fluid and immersive combat & takedown of any other game in it's field. There is no other action advenure or stelth game that beats MGS in combat or gameplay period.

Control that ego and calm down, how is splinter cell gameplay sh*t? You sound like a hardcore MGS fanboy who probably hasn't even bothered playing splinter cell to find out. In terms of satisfying and better animated takedown cqc, Splinter cell conviction/black list....wins.

Loading Video...

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts

Well, fingers crossed I won't be playing Twister on my controller with my fingers to execute basic commands, didn't much care for MGS4's three buttons to fire in first person mechanics.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60681 Posts

@MlauTheDaft said:

That looked pretty sweet.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#16 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

Truth be told, I love both MGS & Splinter Cell. They both just do things a bit differently, but reach the same level of awesome in the end.

Don't worry bro, from what I've seen, MGS V is going to be awesome. The only MGS game I didn't like so much was 4.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kinectthedots

@soapandbubbles said:
@kinectthedots said:
@soapandbubbles said:

WTF?

Control that ego and calm down, how is splinter cell gameplay sh*t? You sound like a hardcore MGS fanboy who probably hasn't even bothered playing splinter cell to find out. In terms of satisfying and better animated takedown cqc, Splinter cell conviction/black list....wins.

Loading Video...

LMAO, and THAT was the Splinter Cell I was talking about that was trying to be MGS haha thanks for proving my point. The earlier SC titles were devoid of any of this type of combat but it still falls behind the depth and intricacy of MGS.

These SC enemies with 0 AI (walking dummies) that stand and wait for you to **** them up impresses you?

That stuff pales compared to MGS. First of all what's up with the auto aim shit going on here? And the enemies don't even seem alive, he can just walk up to them as if he's invisible and start pulling of jason borne moves lol wack. While trying hard to be MGS this fails on complexity.

The interaction between MGS enemies is far more realistic and diversified than anything in SC. When you hold up in SC you are limited to a predetermined line indicating he's being held up but in MGS you he multiple options on how to interact, Interrogation, threats, knock out, chock unconscious, choke kill, knife kill, making them signal other enemies...man the stuff SC is doing is basic.

When holding up in MGS the enemy will actually try to get the jump on you with a gun, run away, or try to signal for backup. In MGS you can knock out an enemy and kick them to wake them up again. The enemies aren't automatically knocked out or killed when you do a combo either, they can and do actually fight back. Any enemy in MGS and use and transition from knife, gun and hand to hand combat dynamically at any moment in gameplay.

When the enemy being thrown off the building he barely even make a sound LMAO. MGS was doing that a long time ago and more realistically. When enemies are shot or wounded in MGS if it's not a vital area they will remain wounded and still fight back but end up dying from blood loss later.

All you are showing is a bunch of compilation clips of Sam preforming jason borne moves on brain dead enemies, it's like they are lifeless dolls rather than the grown men they are supposed to be. That SC vid you showed isn't that great, but it's the best they can do trying to catch up to the depth of MGS. If you like shallow or simplified games I can see SC being your thing.

With the amount of weapons and various ways to interact with enemies in MGS, there is more dicking around to done in MGS than the entire core gameplay of Splinter Cell.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58647 Posts
@kinectthedots said:
@soapandbubbles said:
@kinectthedots said:
@soapandbubbles said:

WTF?

Loading Video...

LMAO, and THAT was the Splinter Cell I was talking about that was trying to be MGS haha thanks for proving my point. The earlier SC titles were devoid of any of this type of combat but it still falls behind the depth and intricacy of MGS.

These SC enemies with 0 AI (walking dummies) that stand and wait for you to **** them up impresses you?

That stuff pales compared to MGS. First of all what's up with the auto aim shit going on here? And the enemies don't even seem alive, he can just walk up to them as if he's invisible and start pulling of jason borne moves lol wack. While trying hard to be MGS this fails on complexity.

The interaction between MGS enemies is far more realistic and diversified than anything in SC. When you hold up in SC you are limited to a predetermined line indicating he's being held up but in MGS you he multiple options on how to interact, Interrogation, threats, knock out, chock unconscious, choke kill, knife kill, making them signal other enemies...man the stuff SC is doing is basic.

When holding up in MGS the enemy will actually try to get the jump on you with a gun, run away, or try to signal for backup. In MGS you can knock out an enemy and kick them to wake them up again. The enemies aren't automatically knocked out or killed when you do a combo either, they can and do actually fight back. Any enemy in MGS and use and transition from knife, gun and hand to hand combat dynamically at any moment in gameplay.

When the enemy being thrown off the building he barely even make a sound LMAO. MGS was doing that a long time ago and more realistically. When enemies are shot or wounded in MGS if it's not a vital area they will remain wounded and still fight back but end up dying from blood loss later.

All you are showing is a bunch of compilation clips of Sam preforming jason borne moves on brain dead enemies, it's like they are lifeless dolls rather than the grown men they are supposed to be. That SC vid you showed isn't that great, but it's the best they can do trying to catch up to the depth of MGS. If you like shallow or simplified games I can see SC being your thing.

Splinter Cell is a better stealth game; typing 1000 words will not change reality. A reality that will exist, forever.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kinectthedots

Besides that MGS video was just a basic instructional move tutorial, the Splinter Cell was a fan hype computation, two totally different types of video so it's not even a proper comparison. Here is a similar gameplay combat video of MGS GZ the demo version.

Loading Video...

There are people still finding out things from this Demo released almost a year ago, the only way to even make Splinter Cell stand out is by attaching MGS in with it's headlines.

vvulturas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 vvulturas
Member since 2015 • 1249 Posts

Same way every other MGS succeeds. Anyways, what's up with all this fanboy Splinter Cell vs MGS shit? Grow up, they're both great games.

Avatar image for deactivated-597794cd74015
deactivated-597794cd74015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By deactivated-597794cd74015
Member since 2012 • 961 Posts

Bad thread. What's this have to do with system wars ?

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

I don't like either of them.

Doing take downs like that is not very realistic, throwing people around like they have no mass. And the splinter cell one is even more funny, shooting people in the stomach I don't think would be very stealthy, it's like those old western films were people get shot anywhere but the head and they instantly die, the ****?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

But you can airlift sheep, so that's pretty cool

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61427 Posts

This thread is a little over-dramatic.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

wouldn't consider MGS stealth anything considering the last 2 iterations show its better to go straight up COD style guns blazing not to mentions of the demo I've seen whats stealthy about taking on an entire platoon + couple helicopters. Sad to say but even COD4 does stealth better than MGS now:

Loading Video...

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

@kinectthedots said:

Besides that MGS video was just a basic instructional move tutorial, the Splinter Cell was a fan hype computation, two totally different types of video so it's not even a proper comparison. Here is a similar gameplay combat video of MGS GZ the demo version.

There are people still finding out things from this Demo released almost a year ago, the only way to even make Splinter Cell stand out is by attaching MGS in with it's headlines.

The direction MGS V is taking is very reminiscent of Splinter Cell in my opinion. But there's one thing you can't deny, Splinter Cell is a far superior stealth game than any MGS with the exception of Ground Zeros.

youngmurk911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#27 youngmurk911
Member since 2004 • 3895 Posts

Um...metal gear never had good combat...just sayin

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

Depends what you define as realistic. Most CQC in real life is messy and nowhere near as smooth as it is carried out in SC. The slamming down of people is a bit OTT in MGS but it is based on realistic technique. Like snake forcing the guy onto his toes to unbalance him before he pushes him forward. The throw down where he moves his body out the way is realistic as well. Resting their body weight against your own and then removing the rest and taking them to the ground. Usually you will only place one punch or grab to a painful area before taking down an enemy as well, which may be why he isn't like Jackie Chan.

I don't like the multiple combo punches and the lifting of the opponent onto his shoulders and throwing them against the wall in the video, but the rest is fairly good. If you want to stay silent you are more likely to grab a hold of your opponent than use one hand to drag them and slit their throat with the other. That would be a bit risky.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@soapandbubbles said:

the cqc takedowns/combat animations and overall look is unsatisfying and downright pathetic....

Not only is it worse that we haven't had the classic NECK breaking since mgs2.....yet its the 5th one and we still can't break necks. Call me fussy, but its so satisfying...also, why not work on realistic satisfying animated cqc combat to go along the awesome looking movement and animations?

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@quadknight said:
@soapandbubbles said:

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11120 Posts

@vvulturas said:

Same way every other MGS succeeds. Anyways, what's up with all this fanboy Splinter Cell vs MGS shit? Grow up, they're both great games.

Except one of them is up there with Zelda and Mario as best video game franchise other, and the other is well.. just another stealth franchise.

Both great yes, but one is exceptionally amazing.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Sir would you kindly f*ck off? Game looks great and will be great.

waahahah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 waahahah
Member since 2014 • 2462 Posts

@PcGamingRig said:

Depends what you define as realistic. Most CQC in real life is messy and nowhere near as smooth as it is carried out in SC. The slamming down of people is a bit OTT in MGS but it is based on realistic technique. Like snake forcing the guy onto his toes to unbalance him before he pushes him forward. The throw down where he moves his body out the way is realistic as well. Resting their body weight against your own and then removing the rest and taking them to the ground. Usually you will only place one punch or grab to a painful area before taking down an enemy as well, which may be why he isn't like Jackie Chan.

I don't like the multiple combo punches and the lifting of the opponent onto his shoulders and throwing them against the wall in the video, but the rest is fairly good. If you want to stay silent you are more likely to grab a hold of your opponent than use one hand to drag them and slit their throat with the other. That would be a bit risky.

The batman games probably have more realistic combat. Maybe even uncharted to some extent.

Why don't you like multiple punches? more than likely if someone notices you, with adrenaline/endorphin rush you'll more than likely have to beat them down / hold them down while they bleed out.. The wrist locks really aren't good stealth tactics, surprising someone with pain compliance technique we'll cause them to probably scream or make noise before you can tell them to comply quietly. All the punching in both these games lack umph, if you want to take someone down you have to hit them hard none of those animations have snake or.. SC dude putting their body into strikes, its all arms. So unless they are striking with a club or very precise those enemies will just get daised for a few seconds, then extremely annoyed. And they all have extremely bad reaction times. Snaking grabbing some guys gun and just spinning him around you'd think he's fighting an army of office workers.

The one thing I like more about batman's combat in this regard is when he takes down an enemy stealthy he stays on the enemy until he's out, or drops a punch directly into the guys skull.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@Mozelleple112 said:
@vvulturas said:

Except one of them is up there with Zelda and Mario as best video game franchise other, and the other is well.. just another stealth franchise.

Both great yes, but one is exceptionally amazing.

Chaos Theory is the best stealth game ever made.

soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 soapandbubbles

@silversix_ said:

be nice...called an opinion.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@soapandbubbles said:
@silversix_ said:

But your opinions are shit.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@soapandbubbles said:

How will MGSV succeed when the combat is putrid?

why not work on realistic satisfying animated cqc combat to go along the awesome looking movement and animations?

I rest my case.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6056 Posts

Thread fail.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

Really random thing to be angry about.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23706 Posts

Heh, what a dumb ass.

Game of the gen incoming, stay mad bro.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#41 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@ConanTheStoner: Yeah, he has to be trolling. MGS: V looks phenomenal, and I'm not just talking about it's graphics.

I like Splinter Cell as well too.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ConanTheStoner

@remiks00 said:

@ConanTheStoner: Yeah, he has to be trolling. MGS: V looks phenomenal, and I'm not just talking about it's graphics.

I like Splinter Cell as well too.

Oh yeah man, Splinter Cell is cool. I recently played Blacklist, and while it's still no Chaos Theory, it was a damn good game. Looking forward to what they do next.

Ground Zeroes gameplay was on another level though. Made Blacklist feel very dated by comparison, so yeah, I'm expecting MGSV to blow the lid off.

I don't think OP is trolling, he's just one of those cats who can't be pleased. Always bitching about something. Gets pissy over Halo because it hasn't changed enough, soaks a tampon over MGSV because it changed too much.

Some bros just can't enjoy nice things.

soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By soapandbubbles

@ConanTheStoner said:

Heh, what a dumb ass.

Game of the gen incoming, stay mad bro.

internet warrior No. 23434341231241432423524523423424

Love them splintered ego's.

soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By soapandbubbles

@ReadingRainbow4 said:
@soapandbubbles said:
@silversix_ said:

But your opinions are shit.

lol ok

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

uh oh, someone challenging Conan about MGS

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ConanTheStoner

@lostrib said:

uh oh, someone challenging Conan about MGS

Nah, it's all good. This guy crying about MGS is nothing new. It's just what he does and he's been doing it for years.

-

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/anyone-else-tired-of-kojima-29025377/

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/metal-gear-needs-serious-gameplay-overhaul-27343384/

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/mgs5-might-indeed-not-be-the-better-mgs-32130788/

-

You know those tired old threads that go like... "First of all I'd like to say I'm a HUGE PC gamer, but (insert wall of ignorant PC bashing text)".

Well that's this guy, but with MGS.

Even Solidgame_basic is more deserving of a legit response than soapandtears here. That's really saying something.

A-new-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 A-new-Guardian
Member since 2015 • 2458 Posts

@lostrib: exactly. It's like he wants to get owned lol

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

@kinectthedots said:

Loading Video...

Not a fan of mgs but that looks better animated and possible animation jank well covered by rotating camera angles. The 2010 Splintercell YT vid looks somewhat hand animated (not natural) but pretty good for an old game.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

Trying to find a way to bash MGSV now that Kojima left huh TC?

soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 soapandbubbles

@nini200 said:

Trying to find a way to bash MGSV now that Kojima left huh TC?

So far from the truth, i just simply don't like the poor animated combat seen in MGSV. MGS from 1 - 3 had more satisfying hand to hand combat/take downs, IMO.