how the devil do you console gamers put up with a controller

• 141 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

crozon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 crozon
Member since 2003 • 1180 Posts

So bought fallout 3 on the pc and thought well i'll play it with a wireless 360 controller on my tv.

DAMN that was a bad idea. seriously you can't aim properly. The vats system is cool but you can't use it all the time with lots of enemies and so have to resort to manually aiming your gun. except its a nightmare.

is it just me having a bad time with a controller?

o0_L0st_B0y_0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 o0_L0st_B0y_0o
Member since 2006 • 1307 Posts
.......you know when i was a lad and i played my first pc game on windows 3.1 ( i think it was) i played duke nukem with a keyboard and mouse and felt the exact same thing...funny that, u know its like we are passive learners or something, if only there was some sort of operent conditioning we could use to help us further in our trials
jeffdoomsday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jeffdoomsday
Member since 2008 • 1023 Posts
Well I generally don't play shooters. Maybe you should stick to the PC, the way shooters are meant to be played.
honkdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 honkdog
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

So bought fallout 3 on the pc and thought well i'll play it with a wireless 360 controller on my tv.

DAMN that was a bad idea. seriously you can't aim properly. The vats system is cool but you can't use it all the time with lots of enemies and so have to resort to manually aiming your gun. except its a nightmare.

crozon

I've been playing consoles and PCs since I was 4 years old :) So I guess it just comes naturally after almost 12 years...

MrSlippery39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 MrSlippery39
Member since 2004 • 730 Posts
It's a learned skill. I can't play with a keyboard and mouse, its awkward for me since I am used to the controller.
_Nicky1015_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 _Nicky1015_
Member since 2008 • 87 Posts

You make it sound as if there is something terribly wrong with using a controller. I've been playing consoles since the NES, there is nothing wrong with using a controller. I think it's streets ahead of keyboard and mouse for many many genres of games.

I want to know how you put up with a keyboard for racing games, platformers, Devil May Cry, and beat em ups. I'm guessing you can barely get your car or character past the intro screen.

mr_mozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mr_mozilla
Member since 2006 • 2381 Posts
I'm a PC only gamer but I can actually play shooters quite easily with a gamepad, it's not as effective as KB/M but gets the job done in SP. RPGs and such I wouldn't want to play on a pad tho due to inventories etc. being more comfortable to use with a mouse.
Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts
been using controllers since the NES days and personally i feel more comfortable playing games with a controller... everyone has his/her personal tastes..
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
It's a different control mechanism that your brain needs to adjust too from controlling a mouse with the palm of your hand over a flat surface, to controlling an anologue stick with your thumb is a weird transition.. Plus maybe FO3 doesn't have aim assist, that's a big thing in older games which is why it used to be hard to aim in them, and since FO3 isn't an FPs by nature they didn't put in aim assist?
Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts
I'm playing it on my 360 and I don't have any problems with aiming nor anything. As for FPP shooters on gamepad - I could pull off a headshot to running enemy in Rainbow Six Vegas 2.
chadwardennn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 chadwardennn
Member since 2007 • 883 Posts
I only use the VATS system, unless i use the sniper. But yeah, it sux ti aim with a controller in fallout 3, enemies are just too fast.:)
crozon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 crozon
Member since 2003 • 1180 Posts

for games like devil may cry, got to play it with a controller. even mercs 2 is fun with a controller.

but fallout is very hard with a controller cause as far as i can tell there is no auto aim

So let rephrase the question do you find a controller easier to use than a k/m when the game has no auto aim.

comptonst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 comptonst
Member since 2006 • 488 Posts
Easy, Im used to playing FPS on a console with a controller, its all prefernce get it through your head.
pp222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 pp222
Member since 2005 • 1319 Posts

Controller always has and always will be miles better than keyboard + mouse.

Avatar image for Gaming_Guru_Guy
Gaming_Guru_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Gaming_Guru_Guy
Member since 2008 • 485 Posts

crozon

I would say it's just you because I cannot stand K/M and have no desire to ever leave a controller.

GinoNYC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 GinoNYC
Member since 2008 • 470 Posts
I'm pretty good with both keyboard/mouse and controlles. It's really not hard to master both..
FamiBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FamiBox
Member since 2007 • 5481 Posts

Playing a FPS using a gamepad is no problem.... you just have to get used to it.

When I first stared using the 360 controller to play FPS games I was terrible... it felt almost impossible using two analogue sticks at the same time (like running and aiming at once.) It was a long learning curve for me, but now I have no problem.

I like keyboard and mouse too... but most people who complain about using a controller simply do so cos they suck at it, not because the controls themselves suck.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

It takes some getting used to, especially if Ps3 and/or 360 controller is the first you tried

Dual analogue stick controlls is not easy to master if you never tried it. give it some time. Though K/M controlls in Fallout are probably better. Matter of preference

EuroMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 EuroMafia
Member since 2008 • 7026 Posts

I feel the same way about kb/m.

Been using controllers since I started gaming and I prefer them over kb/m.

mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts

I'm fine with both. Some games I can't stand playing on KB+M i.e. Lost Planet. Gamepads are superior sometimes.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts
I play it with a controller too and the aiming can be a bit clunky at times, but I'll manage.
Avatar image for jaisimar_chelse
jaisimar_chelse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jaisimar_chelse
Member since 2007 • 1931 Posts

i try really hard to play games with my gamepad, but cant.

my thumbs start to hurt if i play too much with my gamepad :cry:

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

.......you know when i was a lad and i played my first pc game on windows 3.1 ( i think it was) i played duke nukem with a keyboard and mouse and felt the exact same thing...funny that, u know its like we are passive learners or something, if only there was some sort of operent conditioning we could use to help us further in our trialso0_L0st_B0y_0o

That brought me back but all the way back when Duke Nukem was a 2d Platformer. As a kid I beat every one of them.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Controller always has and always will be miles better than keyboard + mouse.

pp222

Do you live in Imagination Land? :?

thom-wiin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 thom-wiin
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I never had problems with playing games with a controller, as it is something that I am quite used to since the Atari 2600 era. This is from joystick, to gamepad, to Wii Remote and Nunchuk. The only games that I find having a keyboard and mouse useful are real-time strategy and first-person shooters.
killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 killab2oo5
Member since 2005 • 13621 Posts
o_o I take it this is your first time playing a shooter with a 360 controller? Maybe...just maybe you need to get used to it?
Avatar image for FunkyHeadHunter
FunkyHeadHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FunkyHeadHunter
Member since 2007 • 1758 Posts

Well I generally don't play shooters. Maybe you should stick to the PC, the way shooters are meant to be played.jeffdoomsday

I HATE this reply. .......Its such a crock of @$^(^%...A game is a game is a game and the way you play it is the way your play it. Simple as that people.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#28 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

Am I the only one who finds it easy playing with either a normal controller, the wiimote or KB/Mouse when it comes to FPS?

I dont really care which one I play with. Yes, KB+Mouse is easier but for a traditional control pad and the Wiimote, I just up the sensitivity and thats it.

PandaBear86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PandaBear86
Member since 2007 • 3389 Posts
If you think Fallout 3 is bad with a controller, just wait for Dragon Age to come out on PS3/360. How anybody can play a Baldur's Gate-like game with a controller is beyond me.
Avatar image for FunkyHeadHunter
FunkyHeadHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 FunkyHeadHunter
Member since 2007 • 1758 Posts

o_o I take it this is your first time playing a shooter with a 360 controller? Maybe...just maybe you need to get used to it?killab2oo5

Thats the problem. PC gamers are quick to bi#$^ about things they arent use to. OH not my controler doesnt have 110 keys on it. HOW IN THE WORLD WILL I BE ABLE TO PLAY??????.....Get over it people. I have done both k/m and controler for years. BOth are as good as the PLAYER...SO maybe pcgamers just need to practice practice practice..

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

I've been console gaming since 1990 and using analog sticks since the N64 back in the late mid-late 90s so controllers are like second nature.

[QUOTE="jeffdoomsday"]Well I generally don't play shooters. Maybe you should stick to the PC, the way shooters are meant to be played.FunkyHeadHunter

I HATE this reply. .......Its such a crock of @$^(^%...A game is a game is a game and the way you play it is the way your play it. Simple as that people.

I think you took this way too personal and the wrong way. I read it and assumed he was saying why on earth did this guy choose to play the game using a control setup he has no clue about when he had an alternative method that he's comfortable with.

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts
not every game is an fps you know...
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

It's a learned skill. I can't play with a keyboard and mouse, its awkward for me since I am used to the controller.MrSlippery39
Same, and I've been gaming on and off on PC since UT2K3. I've been using controllers for like 17 years now, it's just more natural for me.

I still get hand cramps playing PC FPS games for extended periods. They need to make a mouse for people who can palm a basketball!!!

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Spartan070
If you think Fallout 3 is bad with a controller, just wait for Dragon Age to come out on PS3/360. How anybody can play a Baldur's Gate-like game with a controller is beyond me.PandaBear86
Dragon age will be more like Dark Alliance than like Shadows of Ahmn. Controllers will be fine.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Spartan070

Am I the only one who finds it easy playing with either a normal controller, the wiimote or KB/Mouse when it comes to FPS?

I dont really care which one I play with. Yes, KB+Mouse is easier but for a traditional control pad and the Wiimote, I just up the sensitivity and thats it.

Haziqonfire
To me both are easy but it's more comfortable with a controller.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts
im used to using a controller so i find using a controller easyer then a keyboard and mouse
MarloStanfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MarloStanfield
Member since 2008 • 2409 Posts

the 360 controller is passable

the ps3 controller is the worst controller this gen and useless for shooters, such a POS

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

the 360 controller is passable

the ps3 controller is the worst controller this gen and useless for shooters, such a POS

MarloStanfield
its about the same realy
MarloStanfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MarloStanfield
Member since 2008 • 2409 Posts

its about the same realy toast_burner

it's not even close

the dual shock was hot stuff 10 years ago but in 2008 when there's so many shooters it's useless, I was playing the warhawk demo yesterday and it was a circus

Zenkuso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Zenkuso
Member since 2006 • 4090 Posts

I'm a pc gamer and find using a controller remarkably simple.

That may be because I've been playing video games since I was a child and have dealt with some stupid controllers over the years but for the most part its just about getting a your head around the games control scheme, its no different then learning pc controls just in a different way.

strider_ATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 strider_ATI
Member since 2008 • 735 Posts

i'm a PC gamer and i say that the 360 controller is the best. KB/M aren't fun. I play everything ( except RTS ) on my 360 controller.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts
I find it kinda weird that almost every game on my PC is perfectly playable with the 360 pad, but Crysis is a real pain with it. You can't even go prone with the pad.
caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#43 caseypayne69
Member since 2002 • 5395 Posts

It's a learned skill. I can't play with a keyboard and mouse, its awkward for me since I am used to the controller.MrSlippery39

same here, I don't like the feel of kb and mouse.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

[QUOTE="killab2oo5"]

o_o I take it this is your first time playing a shooter with a 360 controller? Maybe...just maybe you need to get used to it?FunkyHeadHunter

Thats the problem. PC gamers are quick to bi#$^ about things they arent use to. OH not my controler doesnt have 110 keys on it. HOW IN THE WORLD WILL I BE ABLE TO PLAY??????.....Get over it people. I have done both k/m and controler for years. BOth are as good as the PLAYER...SO maybe pcgamers just need to practice practice practice..

Say what? So all these PS3 and 360 fanboys whining their bottoms off over the Wii's new method of controlling games suddenly don't exist?

TTDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#45 TTDog
Member since 2007 • 3545 Posts

You mean how do we use something specifically designed for playing games????

Because obviously when the first keyboard was put together the inventor thought "One day this will be used by people using Aim-bots to cheat at crappy first person shooters... I must make it easy to hold, all the crucial buttons in easy reach... blah blah blah"

Lidve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Lidve
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts

You make it sound as if there is something terribly wrong with using a controller. I've been playing consoles since the NES, there is nothing wrong with using a controller. I think it's streets ahead of keyboard and mouse for many many genres of games.

I want to know how you put up with a keyboard for racing games, platformers, Devil May Cry, and beat em ups. I'm guessing you can barely get your car or character past the intro screen.

_Nicky1015_

lol? dont make me make video of me playing with KB+mouse any of those games

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts

[QUOTE="MrSlippery39"]It's a learned skill. I can't play with a keyboard and mouse, its awkward for me since I am used to the controller.Lidve

_Nicky1015_

Some games have a more natural fit for analog controllers, such as racers, fighters, and platformers. They are typically made with controllers and the like in mind.
sebbi11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 sebbi11
Member since 2004 • 1190 Posts

KB/M is a lot easier off course but like any skill it takes time to master the pad. When you do finally master it, KB/M feels like cheating, i mean, placing the cursor on someones head and double click the mouse, that`s how i check my Emails, not how i play my games. KB/M is for noobs who don`t have the coordination to pull of headshots with a pad.

Lidve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Lidve
[QUOTE="Lidve"]

[QUOTE="MrSlippery39"]It's a learned skill. I can't play with a keyboard and mouse, its awkward for me since I am used to the controller.HuusAsking

_Nicky1015_

Some games have a more natural fit for analog controllers, such as racers, fighters, and platformers. They are typically made with controllers and the like in mind.

NO, racers = WHEEL not gamepad

fighters = arcade

platformers = platformers can be played with anything and its much easier to control camera with mouse than L1 + R1 buttons or whatever

Lidve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Lidve

KB/M is a lot easier off course but like any skill it takes time to master the pad. When you do finally master it, KB/M feels like cheating, i mean, placing the cursor on someones head and double click the mouse, that`s how i check my Emails, not how i play my games. KB/M is for noobs who don`t have the coordination to pull of headshots with a pad.

sebbi11

:roll: yeah right,

i think gamepad is for noobs who dont have coordination to pull headshots while balancing fork on their nose and playing with their feets on mobile phone :roll: