how the devil do you console gamers put up with a controller

• 141 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PandaBear86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 PandaBear86
Member since 2007 • 3389 Posts

KB/M is a lot easier off course but like any skill it takes time to master the pad. When you do finally master it, KB/M feels like cheating, i mean, placing the cursor on someones head and double click the mouse, that`s how i check my Emails, not how i play my games. KB/M is for noobs who don`t have the coordination to pull of headshots with a pad.

sebbi11

If you play CoD4 multiplayer on PC, everybody else in the game is using keyboard and mouse, so there is no cheating or unfair advantage. On the other hand, there are some people who might use something other than KB/M, such as Emotiv mind-control devices (use your mind to move the cursor), or even a graphics tablet. My sister once played an FPS game with a graphics tablet and it worked fine with a bit of practise. She does graphic design so using a graphics tablet is easy for her.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

KB/M is a lot easier off course but like any skill it takes time to master the pad. When you do finally master it, KB/M feels like cheating, i mean, placing the cursor on someones head and double click the mouse, that`s how i check my Emails, not how i play my games. KB/M is for noobs who don`t have the coordination to pull of headshots with a pad.

sebbi11

While I wouldn't call the KB/M noobish by any stretch, I do think that because of some of the points you mentioned, it takes more skill to do certain things with a Controller. Due to the fact that you have to make up for the lack of extreme precision with your instints.

Headshots are easier with a mouse, someone who can headshot at will with a controller is a rare find.

Now before The hermit legion descends upon me, bristling with rebuke and retribution, I will say that the easewith which to get headshots on PC games is slightly offset by the fact that many PC FPS games are faster paced then their console counterparts, thus slightly evening out the skill required.

Lidve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Lidve
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts

[QUOTE="MrSlippery39"]It's a learned skill. I can't play with a keyboard and mouse, its awkward for me since I am used to the controller.caseypayne69

same here, I don't like the feel of kb and mouse.

But once you master it there is no coming back.

Try playing this with your gamepad.

http://www.missionred.com/index.php?game_destination=99&game_name=reflex&username=unknown&game_id=1&

Frustration huh?

Now play same with mouse.

Mouse wins

gamepad says: gg

gamepad has left the game

mouse is winner

PandaBear86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 PandaBear86
Member since 2007 • 3389 Posts
[QUOTE="sebbi11"]

Lidve

:roll: yeah right,

i think gamepad is for noobs who dont have coordination to pull headshots while balancing fork on their nose and playing with their feets on mobile phone :roll:

Oh, come on, thats easy. When I played Gears of War, I was standing on my head cutting my toenails upside while eating pumpkin soup with a fork and controlling my character with a NES controller :P

Lidve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Lidve
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts
[QUOTE="Lidve"][QUOTE="sebbi11"]

PandaBear86

i think gamepad is for noobs who dont have coordination to pull headshots while balancing fork on their nose and playing with their feets on mobile phone :roll:

Oh, come on, thats easy. When I played Gears of War, I was standing on my head cutting my toenails upside while eating pumpkin soup with a fork and controlling my character with a NES controller :P

hahaha lol :lol: XD

clembo1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 clembo1990
Member since 2005 • 9976 Posts
In general pc has better shooters. However when it comes to Halo and gears pc just doesn't work.
ONLYDOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#58 ONLYDOD
Member since 2006 • 6026 Posts
By being used to it.
PS2_ROCKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 PS2_ROCKS
Member since 2003 • 4679 Posts
I'm able to use a KB/M or controller for every genre except shooters. Gamepads have always felt so forced in the way you have to stop and fight with the analogue stick in hopes that your crosshair will land on what your aiming at. At short range it works fine but long distance combat = absolute balls with a controller.
Dystopian-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Dystopian-X
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts

So bought fallout 3 on the pc and thought well i'll play it with a wireless 360 controller on my tv.

DAMN that was a bad idea. seriously you can't aim properly. The vats system is cool but you can't use it all the time with lots of enemies and so have to resort to manually aiming your gun. except its a nightmare.

is it just me having a bad time with a controller?

crozon

You make it sound as if there is something terribly wrong with using a controller. I've been playing consoles since the NES, there is nothing wrong with using a controller. I think it's streets ahead of keyboard and mouse for many many genres of games.

I want to know how you put up with a keyboard for racing games, platformers, Devil May Cry, and beat em ups. I'm guessing you can barely get your car or character past the intro screen.

_Nicky1015_

I've mostly used and still use controllers as well, I used it for DMC and pretty much any other 3rd person game, but for playing FPS or RTS I prefer to use KB/M; Also racing games work quite well with KB/M.

mgools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#61 mgools
Member since 2005 • 1301 Posts

So bought fallout 3 on the pc and thought well i'll play it with a wireless 360 controller on my tv.

DAMN that was a bad idea. seriously you can't aim properly. The vats system is cool but you can't use it all the time with lots of enemies and so have to resort to manually aiming your gun. except its a nightmare.

crozon

I know how you feel, but you get use to it. I always played FPS games on the PC, but decided to give it a chance on the Xbox1. It took about a year (yes year) before I felt comfortable with it ( at least until I felt as good as I did with a mouse and keyboard). Give it time, and you will fill in control.

DA_B0MB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 DA_B0MB
Member since 2005 • 9938 Posts

The only genre I find unplayable on the controller is RTS (which isn't even that popular on consoles). Aside from that it's fine for me.

Avatar image for FantasySports02
FantasySports02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 FantasySports02
Member since 2007 • 788 Posts

crozon

Maybe you should get some skill.

UnamedThing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 UnamedThing
Member since 2008 • 1761 Posts
[QUOTE="Lidve"][QUOTE="sebbi11"]

PandaBear86

Omfg epic win.

bladeeagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 bladeeagle
Member since 2006 • 1863 Posts

Controller always has and always will be miles better than keyboard + mouse.

pp222

Is that why so many console FPSes need auto aim? In GTA4 I didn't even need to aim since my crosshair was automatically jumping around to enemies.

So have fun turning slowly and inaccurately.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29835 Posts

I feel the same way about kb/m.

Been using controllers since I started gaming and I prefer them over kb/m.

EuroMafia

same here.

daveg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#68 daveg1
Member since 2005 • 20405 Posts

depends what your used too..

for anyone used to consoles the idea of using a k/m seems alien..

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#69 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
I usually ask PC gamers the same question about KB/M. I cannot stand that setup at all.
CT-Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 CT-Link
Member since 2005 • 362 Posts

daveg1

Not really, and this is when PC fans have a point. When playing "RTSes" and FPS in a PC, I don't think there's a console gamer out there that'd play TERRIBLY wrong, it even takes less time adjusting to than kb/m to controllers.

BUT adventure based games, fighting games, and platformers are, WITHOUT A DOUBT played better with a controller.

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#71 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts
I play crysis,dmc4,assasin creed with a controller
AvIdGaMeR444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 AvIdGaMeR444
Member since 2004 • 7031 Posts

I don't play PC games. Having said that, there is an awkwardness to Fallout 3 on the 360 controller, especially with hotkeys imo. Having to think fast and remember which hotkey I put my flamethrower on...and then remembering I had to map the hotkey to the up/left d-pad. That is pretty frustrating imo. I'm also changing out weapons a lot after they deteriorate and adding new weapons to hotkeys. You get only 8 hotkeys on 360. I'm assuming you get a ton more hotkeys on PC. And also, I don't know how this works on PC, but on 360, you use the same button to holster your weapon as you do to reload your weapon. So, to holster your weapon, you have to press and hold "X" for a couple of seconds. To reload your weapon, you quickly press "X". And your flashlight? Don't even think about being able to turn it on quickly on 360. You have to hold "B" for a couple of seconds. Pressing "B" quickly puts you in the PIP Boy 3000.

anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts

Shooters are basically the only genre I will play with a mouse and keyboard everything else is better with a controller. That's just my opinion.

TC , I think your so used to a mouse and keyboard that you find a controller fustrating and I'm so used to a controller, that a mouse and keyboard is awkward. I guess it just depends on what you became familiar with.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts
[QUOTE="daveg1"]

CT-Link

Not really, and this is when PC fans have a point. When playing "RTSes" and FPS in a PC, I don't think there's a console gamer out there that'd play TERRIBLY wrong, it even takes less time adjusting to than kb/m to controllers.

BUT adventure based games, fighting games, and platformers are, WITHOUT A DOUBT played better with a controller.

say what?

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts

I don't play PC games. Having said that, there is an awkwardness to Fallout 3 on the 360 controller, especially with hotkeys imo. Having to think fast and remember which hotkey I put my flamethrower on...and then remembering I had to map the hotkey to the up/left d-pad. That is pretty frustrating imo. I'm also changing out weapons a lot after they deteriorate and adding new weapons to hotkeys. You get only 8 hotkeys on 360. I'm assuming you get a ton more hotkeys on PC. And also, I don't know how this works on PC, but on 360, you use the same button to holster your weapon as you do to reload your weapon. So, to holster your weapon, you have to press and hold "X" for a couple of seconds. To reload your weapon, you quickly press "X". And your flashlight? Don't even think about being able to turn it on quickly on 360. You have to hold "B" for a couple of seconds. Pressing "B" quickly puts you in the PIP Boy 3000.

AvIdGaMeR444

It's the same on PC, you have to press R to reload and hold R to holster your weapon. But it's easy with a keyboard. And hotkeys are a breeze with te keyboard and mouse too lol.

That being said, I grew up with controllers, started playing NES when I was like 5. But I prefer M/K now-a-days, but I'm still pretty good with a controller, a lot better than your average joe, and I don't even play console games very much. For me anyway, it's all about coordination, it really has nothing to do with what I grew up with, because I would like controllers more if that were the case, but I don't.

bladeeagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 bladeeagle
Member since 2006 • 1863 Posts

Shooters are basically the only genre I will play with a mouse and keyboard everything else is better with a controller. That's just my opinion.

TC , I think your so used to a mouse and keyboard that you find a controller fustrating and I'm so used to a controller, that a mouse and keyboard is awkward. I guess it just depends on what you became familiar with.

anime_gamer007

RTSes? MMORPGS?

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts
[QUOTE="anime_gamer007"]

bladeeagle

RTSes? MMORPGS?

He probably doesn't play those.

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 gunswordfist
Member since 2006 • 20262 Posts

crozon
Yeah first person games are all better on the pc, I'll give you that. Now try playing a fighting game on the pc and see who gets the last laugh now. lol
wassup432

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#79 wassup432
Member since 2007 • 1025 Posts
I use controllers all the time. Guess I'm used to it.
TheWiikestLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 TheWiikestLink
Member since 2006 • 1730 Posts
well lets see...ive been playing since NES and its always been a controller :o

i never got into PC gaming....seems way to nerdy.
kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts
It's pretty easy once you get used to it, but I will admit that shooters are best played on a PC.
NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
I've played on computers and consoles alike, so I can adapt fairly well either way. However, for those of you that spend the majority of your time on one side of the fence, I can understand if and why you might have trouble using a different control scheme. Also, no input device will be the best fit for every situation. Here are my preferences for each genre: FPS: Keyboard + mouse (or something like the old Microsoft Strategic Commander replacing the keyboard for analog movement; in any case, the mouse's pinpoint accuracy can't be beat), Wiimote + Nunchuk (very precise aim within the screen, but turning around can be a bit of a hassle), and then a dual-analog gamepad (turning quickly and positioning the crosshair on target quickly are generally a bit difficult for me and many others with a twiddlystick). RTS: Keyboard + mouse BY FAR (you're going to need every single key on that board and the mouse's precision for selecting units!), though it might work out on the Wiimote (though there won't be much in the way of macros, hotkeys and whatnot). I don't really see this genre working very well with a gamepad, unless it's a non-traditional one in some respect. Platformer: Both keyboards and gamepads work fine for me, oddly enough, except for the 3D ones where having an analog stick is crucial. As for 2D titles, it's a mix; I'll probably play console-style ones with the gamepad, but I always play I Wanna Be The Guy with my Model M. Fighting: An arcade control panel would probably be the best route to take, unless it's built around an analog stick like Super Smash Bros. Gamepads also tend to work well, though most pads only have four face buttons and not six, which isn't ideal for games based around six face buttons. I wouldn't think of keyboarding my way through these games, though-I don't think that any set of movement keys used would lend themselves well to the rotational stick/D-Pad movements often employed in these games. Racing: If it's GTR2, rFactor, Forza, or Gran Turismo you're talking about, do yourself a favor and get a nice full-blown racing wheel like the Logitech G25. On the other hand, games like Burnout and Carmageddon seem to lend themselves better to twiddlysticks, as the much shorter range of movement allows you to quickly steer to one side if something crops up, not to mention having all of those buttons to use nitro, powerups, and whatever else may be at your disposal. Flight: Twiddlysticks don't cut it; a joystick is a must, especially if you have the space and budget for a flight stick, throttle, and rudder pedals. You don't see fighter pilots flying their warbirds with gamepads or keyboards and mice now, do you? If it came down to just those options, though, at least give me a dual-analog gamepad so that I have some analog control over the flight surfaces. Flying around with just a keyboard is downright asinine, though it does mean more hotkeys for controlling complex aircraft. All the other genres I can think of (like music and light gun games) generally REQUIRE specialized peripherals anyway, so no need to go there.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts
I use controllers all the time. Guess I'm used to it.wassup432
You probably haven't played a lot of games where hotkeys are of good use, such as MMO's and RTS's.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 HuusAsking
I've played on computers and consoles alike, so I can adapt fairly well either way. However, for those of you that spend the majority of your time on one side of the fence, I can understand if and why you might have trouble using a different control scheme. Also, no input device will be the best fit for every situation. Here are my preferences for each genre: FPS: Keyboard + mouse (or something like the old Microsoft Strategic Commander replacing the keyboard for analog movement; in any case, the mouse's pinpoint accuracy can't be beat), Wiimote + Nunchuk (very precise aim within the screen, but turning around can be a bit of a hassle), and then a dual-analog gamepad (turning quickly and positioning the crosshair on target quickly are generally a bit difficult for me and many others with a twiddlystick). RTS: Keyboard + mouse BY FAR (you're going to need every single key on that board and the mouse's precision for selecting units!), though it might work out on the Wiimote (though there won't be much in the way of macros, hotkeys and whatnot). I don't really see this genre working very well with a gamepad, unless it's a non-traditional one in some respect. Platformer: Both keyboards and gamepads work fine for me, oddly enough, except for the 3D ones where having an analog stick is crucial. As for 2D titles, it's a mix; I'll probably play console-style ones with the gamepad, but I always play I Wanna Be The Guy with my Model M. Fighting: An arcade control panel would probably be the best route to take, unless it's built around an analog stick like Super Smash Bros. Gamepads also tend to work well, though most pads only have four face buttons and not six, which isn't ideal for games based around six face buttons. I wouldn't think of keyboarding my way through these games, though-I don't think that any set of movement keys used would lend themselves well to the rotational stick/D-Pad movements often employed in these games. Racing: If it's GTR2, rFactor, Forza, or Gran Turismo you're talking about, do yourself a favor and get a nice full-blown racing wheel like the Logitech G25. On the other hand, games like Burnout and Carmageddon seem to lend themselves better to twiddlysticks, as the much shorter range of movement allows you to quickly steer to one side if something crops up, not to mention having all of those buttons to use nitro, powerups, and whatever else may be at your disposal. Flight: Twiddlysticks don't cut it; a joystick is a must, especially if you have the space and budget for a flight stick, throttle, and rudder pedals. You don't see fighter pilots flying their warbirds with gamepads or keyboards and mice now, do you? If it came down to just those options, though, at least give me a dual-analog gamepad so that I have some analog control over the flight surfaces. Flying around with just a keyboard is downright asinine, though it does mean more hotkeys for controlling complex aircraft. All the other genres I can think of (like music and light gun games) generally REQUIRE specialized peripherals anyway, so no need to go there.NamelessPlayer
You should also note that MMO's are almost keyboard-required, especially for experts, because (like with RTS's) of the need for lots of hotkeys. Other than that, I think may people will agree with you, although with platformers some would argue that KB/M is better since it's easier to move the camera and then use the arrows to make precise movements, which are trickier by default on twiddlysticks.
JackDaniels121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 JackDaniels121
Member since 2008 • 362 Posts

I've played on computers and consoles alike, so I can adapt fairly well either way. However, for those of you that spend the majority of your time on one side of the fence, I can understand if and why you might have trouble using a different control scheme. Also, no input device will be the best fit for every situation. Here are my preferences for each genre: FPS: Keyboard + mouse (or something like the old Microsoft Strategic Commander replacing the keyboard for analog movement; in any case, the mouse's pinpoint accuracy can't be beat), Wiimote + Nunchuk (very precise aim within the screen, but turning around can be a bit of a hassle), and then a dual-analog gamepad (turning quickly and positioning the crosshair on target quickly are generally a bit difficult for me and many others with a twiddlystick). RTS: Keyboard + mouse BY FAR (you're going to need every single key on that board and the mouse's precision for selecting units!), though it might work out on the Wiimote (though there won't be much in the way of macros, hotkeys and whatnot). I don't really see this genre working very well with a gamepad, unless it's a non-traditional one in some respect. Platformer: Both keyboards and gamepads work fine for me, oddly enough, except for the 3D ones where having an analog stick is crucial. As for 2D titles, it's a mix; I'll probably play console-style ones with the gamepad, but I always play I Wanna Be The Guy with my Model M. Fighting: An arcade control panel would probably be the best route to take, unless it's built around an analog stick like Super Smash Bros. Gamepads also tend to work well, though most pads only have four face buttons and not six, which isn't ideal for games based around six face buttons. I wouldn't think of keyboarding my way through these games, though-I don't think that any set of movement keys used would lend themselves well to the rotational stick/D-Pad movements often employed in these games. Racing: If it's GTR2, rFactor, Forza, or Gran Turismo you're talking about, do yourself a favor and get a nice full-blown racing wheel like the Logitech G25. On the other hand, games like Burnout and Carmageddon seem to lend themselves better to twiddlysticks, as the much shorter range of movement allows you to quickly steer to one side if something crops up, not to mention having all of those buttons to use nitro, powerups, and whatever else may be at your disposal. Flight: Twiddlysticks don't cut it; a joystick is a must, especially if you have the space and budget for a flight stick, throttle, and rudder pedals. You don't see fighter pilots flying their warbirds with gamepads or keyboards and mice now, do you? If it came down to just those options, though, at least give me a dual-analog gamepad so that I have some analog control over the flight surfaces. Flying around with just a keyboard is downright asinine, though it does mean more hotkeys for controlling complex aircraft. All the other genres I can think of (like music and light gun games) generally REQUIRE specialized peripherals anyway, so no need to go there.NamelessPlayer

wow, you just went into the weirdest genres and eliminated common ones

Racers = gamepad (why buy a racing wheel exactly unless it's a sim? unless your really into it). Unplayable on keyboard basically

Action = gamepad, unplayable on keyboard

Platformer = 3d is very awkward but depending on precision level required, somewhat playable. Psychonauts is, but not much else.

RTS= m/k (speed)

RPG = controller unless isometric

shooter = either or.

JackDaniels121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 JackDaniels121
Member since 2008 • 362 Posts

[QUOTE="wassup432"]I use controllers all the time. Guess I'm used to it.HuusAsking
You probably haven't played a lot of games where hotkeys are of good use, such as MMO's and RTS's.

you act like hotkeys couldn't be done on a controller

for the most part hotkeys on the controller are the dpad or a trigger + button.

Avatar image for Gaming_Guru_Guy
Gaming_Guru_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Gaming_Guru_Guy
Member since 2008 • 485 Posts
[QUOTE="pp222"]

Hexagon_777

Do you live in Imagination Land? :?

You must live in a world without opinions, what color are the trees in your world?

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 HuusAsking

[QUOTE="HuusAsking"][QUOTE="wassup432"]I use controllers all the time. Guess I'm used to it.JackDaniels121

you act like hotkeys couldn't be done on a controller

for the most part hotkeys on the controller are the dpad or a trigger + button.

But you have a limited number of hotkeys, and most RTS's and MMO's (especially if you're playing with or against someone with any degree of expertise) require more than 12 hotkeys (which if I recall is the most buttons on a console controller, including pushing in the analogs). And by hotkeys, I mean one-button hotkeys, which are essential in a fast-paced battle where time can mean the difference between winning and losing. You have the entire alphabet, 10 digits, 12 functions keys, and assorted other stuff on the keyboard to use as hotkeys (and keyboard training means you don't have to look at the keyboard to find the one you want), and as someone else mentioned, you're going to need them.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 HuusAsking

Racers = gamepad (why buy a racing wheel exactly unless it's a sim? unless your really into it). Unplayable on keyboard basically

Platformer = 3d is very awkward but depending on precision level required, somewhat playable. Psychonauts is, but not much else.

RTS= m/k (speed)

shooter = either or.

JackDaniels121

Racers= He mentioned that. Forza, GT, and GTR are all sim or near-sim racers, so the wheel is justified in those cases. Arcade-type racers like Burnout are easy enough to use pads on.

Action= What do you mean by that? Give some examples.

RTS= He mentioned it already, and I added on MMOs (also needs lots of hotkeys).

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#90 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts

Keyboards are great-- for doing my homework.

For GAMES, I'd rather use a GAME PAD.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"][QUOTE="pp222"]

Gaming_Guru_Guy

Do you live in Imagination Land? :?

You must live in a world without opinions, what color are the trees in your world?

First of all, make it clear that that is your opinion rather than shouting it out as if it were fact. Secondly, justify your opinion in some way so as to indicate why you choose one over the other.

Otherwise, it just sounds like your imagination is running wild, coupled with some good old denial.

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
[QUOTE="JackDaniels121"]

RTS= m/k (speed)

shooter = either or.

HuusAsking

Racers= He mentioned that. Forza, GT, and GTR are all sim or near-sim racers, so the wheel is justified in those cases. Arcade-type racers like Burnout are easy enough to use pads on.

Action= What do you mean by that? Give some examples.

RTS= He mentioned it already, and I added on MMOs (also needs lots of hotkeys).

Thank you for picking up what I said in my post and pointing out what he apparently overlooked so that I don't have to. As for action titles, I think he means games like Devil May Cry, God of War, etc. Those games would definitely benefit from a gamepad. However, the term "action" is pretty broad; for all I know, he could be talking about beat-em-'ups/brawlers like Final Fight or Streets of Rage, which I don't have much issue playing with just a keyboard. There's also the action/adventure games, usually based on the Zelda formula. Those are also generally better played with a gamepad, especially if they're the 3D ones; however, I can easily keyboard my way through the 2D ones if need be. Oh, and now that I think about it, I did overlook RPGs, but mostly because "RPG" is too general of a term. PC-based RPGs are generally made to be played with a keyboard and mouse (I'd like to see someone play through Baldur's Gate or Fallout with a gamepad instead!), whereas console RPGs are designed with gamepads first and foremost (sure, I could play a Final Fantasy title with the keyboard, but it feels better with a gamepad).
Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts

I've never had a problem with it.

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
its not just you, I tried crysis with a controller and give up after getting frustrated with the inaccurate aiming. controllers are only good for fighters, racing and sports. any game that requires manual aiming the controller is useless.
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts

You make it sound as if there is something terribly wrong with using a controller. I've been playing consoles since the NES, there is nothing wrong with using a controller. I think it's streets ahead of keyboard and mouse for many many genres of games.

I want to know how you put up with a keyboard for racing games, platformers, Devil May Cry, and beat em ups. I'm guessing you can barely get your car or character past the intro screen.

_Nicky1015_

that's what's great about pc. k/m for shooters, gamepad for racers

Elviathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Elviathan
Member since 2006 • 5052 Posts
It's called practicing. :)
Avatar image for FunkyHeadHunter
FunkyHeadHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 FunkyHeadHunter
Member since 2007 • 1758 Posts

its not just you, I tried crysis with a controller and give up after getting frustrated with the inaccurate aiming. controllers are only good for fighters, racing and sports. any game that requires manual aiming the controller is useless. imprezawrx500

Well darn...I guess I have been playing FPS on consoles for the past 10 years and didnt even realize it was useless..THANKS for helping me figure that out..

CPM_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 CPM_basic
Member since 2002 • 4247 Posts

Sometimes PC games are just not optimized for using gamepads.. cough cough... auto aim... cough cough...

Mouses are more precise... but a gamepad can be comfortably used on a couch.

i_pk_pjers_i

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 i_pk_pjers_i
Member since 2008 • 178 Posts

crozon
I'm pretty sure it's just you, because I can aim fine with my controller.
DivinitySkate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#100 DivinitySkate
Member since 2008 • 485 Posts
It's something you get used to over time.