How old are you and what you do in real life? How you afford your gaming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 0

#201 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

@skektek: I worked in call centers before for 5 years so I That's why I keep getting hired because I have a lot of experience and know how to sell myself. I just hate it with a passion, but they are the only one who keep calling me back.

Cheleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#202 Cheleman
Member since 2012 • 8198 Posts

@Nick3306:

damn, congrats man

was CS hard? I wanted to study the same thing, but i hated numbers, so i was like nah man...

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#203 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

Seeing some of the replies in this thread makes me feel more grateful for the situation I'm in. It's good to finally put some backstory to some of the characters on this site. One of the best SW threads in awhile. No bashing. Just people sharing how we all afford gaming:)

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

@howmakewood: is the insinuation that I don't have a Master's degree.

Avatar image for deactivated-5eb6f92daae05
deactivated-5eb6f92daae05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 deactivated-5eb6f92daae05
Member since 2015 • 916 Posts

@DarkLink77 said:

I'm 26, live in New York with my girl, who works for NBC. I'm a writer, teacher, and grad student. I write for the same website @charizard1605 does, so I get most of my games for free.

How you liking New York? I'm 26 as well, I'm a Bartender here in Orlando, but I'm moving to New York City in January with my girl as well to continue with my acting

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

@kinky-unikorn said:
@DarkLink77 said:

I'm 26, live in New York with my girl, who works for NBC. I'm a writer, teacher, and grad student. I write for the same website @charizard1605 does, so I get most of my games for free.

How you liking New York? I'm 26 as well, I'm a Bartender here in Orlando, but I'm moving to New York City in January with my girl as well to continue with my acting

I used to live in Orlando! Small world. I live just outside the city, but I really like it. City's crazy, though. Wouldn't want to live in the heart of it.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#207 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7712 Posts

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@howmakewood: is the insinuation that I don't have a Master's degree.

just wondering when you have 10 years of experience at that age, thats all

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

@kinky-unikorn said:
@DarkLink77 said:

I live in New York as well. I can tell you NY is awesome! Tons of great place to dine and lots of night life. Full of Arts and Music. The only down side is the cost of living are pretty damn high here!

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 DarkLink77

@ni6htmare01 said:
@kinky-unikorn said:
@DarkLink77 said:

I live in New York as well. I can tell you NY is awesome! Tons of great place to dine and lots of night life. Full of Arts and Music. The only down side is the cost of living are pretty damn high here!

If you live outside the city it isn't actually that bad. In the city, though... whew. Expensive.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By ni6htmare01

@DarkLink77 said:
@ni6htmare01 said:
@kinky-unikorn said:
@DarkLink77 said:

If you live outside the city it isn't actually that bad. In the city, though... whew. Expensive.

That is also depends on which part of the outside city. Some area in Queens and Brooklyn can go pretty crazy when it comes to price to buy or rent.. Also the Subway price is getting out of hand!! Other than that I love NY lol

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 DarkLink77

@ni6htmare01 said:
@DarkLink77 said:
@ni6htmare01 said:
@kinky-unikorn said:
@DarkLink77 said:

That is also depends on which part of the outside city. Some area in Queens and Brooklyn can go pretty crazy when it comes to price to buy or rent a price.. Also the Subway price is getting out of hand!! Other than that I love NY lol

That's true. I live in Westchester and it's not bad, but I do rent an apartment in a private residence.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 ni6htmare01
@DarkLink77 said:
@ni6htmare01 said:
@DarkLink77 said:
@ni6htmare01 said:
@kinky-unikorn said:

That is also depends on which part of the outside city. Some area in Queens and Brooklyn can go pretty crazy when it comes to price to buy or rent a price.. Also the Subway price is getting out of hand!! Other than that I love NY lol

That's true. I live in Westchester and it's not bad, but I do rent an apartment in a private residence.

Oh yeah Westchester is nice area. Hope you enjoy New York! No other places like it lol

A-new-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 A-new-Guardian
Member since 2015 • 2458 Posts

23, still a college student and hope to become a teacher or translator someday.

Avatar image for deactivated-5eb6f92daae05
deactivated-5eb6f92daae05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 deactivated-5eb6f92daae05
Member since 2015 • 916 Posts

@DarkLink77 said:
@ni6htmare01 said:
@DarkLink77 said:
@ni6htmare01 said:
@kinky-unikorn said:

Haha small world indeed! Yeah, I've known New York to be quite expensive, but my girlfriend & I actually got a pretty good deal on an apartment, her best friend lives in Queens, and her mom actually owns the apartment complex there, so we'll have a 1 bed/1bath that will be available to us in January, once the prior tenants leave. I'm just saving up and possibly selling my car before heading up there to buy a monthly train pass

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By sHaDyCuBe321

@howmakewood: I started working at a Catholic school. Because of the high school and college I went to they had high expectations and a confidence that I would succeed in the classroom. Catholic schools across the country at that time didn't require certification, but many preferred it.

Worked there for 3 years, full time teacher and student, busted my ass to get certified and moved on to public/charter schools since.

There are tons of teacher certification programs like Teach for America and NY Teahing Fellows that allow recent graduates to teach full time while working on their Master's/certification though.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 sHaDyCuBe321

@kinky-unikorn said:
@DarkLink77 said:
@ni6htmare01 said:
@DarkLink77 said:
@ni6htmare01 said:

Haha small world indeed! Yeah, I've known New York to be quite expensive, but my girlfriend & I actually got a pretty good deal on an apartment, her best friend lives in Queens, and her mom actually owns the apartment complex there, so we'll have a 1 bed/1bath that will be available to us in January, once the prior tenants leave. I'm just saving up and possibly selling my car before heading up there to buy a monthly train pass

The gentrification in certain areas of the city is also making it difficult or many city residents to stay in their communities. I live in DUMBO right now (right next to the Brooklyn Bridge in downtown Brooklyn) and my rent is 3K a month for a one bedroom apartment. We're moving soon to a 2 bed, on the outskirts of Bedstuy (an area that is being severely genrtified) for the same price.

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

@skipper847:
For the record I'm male (like the majority of users here). And let me tell you, it's not easy to work in this field because of it. It's an antiquated notion to be sure, but nothing that can be changed overnight. I've been doing this long enough to know how to ease parents' concerns, however, so it's not such a burden anymore.

I've been looking to find work elsewhere for some time, but with little success.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 ni6htmare01

@kinky-unikorn said:
@DarkLink77 said:
@ni6htmare01 said:
@DarkLink77 said:
@ni6htmare01 said:

God Bless you! 1 bed Room Apartment can easily cost you like $1200 to $1400 in Queens lol

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 ni6htmare01

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:
@kinky-unikorn said:
@DarkLink77 said:
@ni6htmare01 said:
@DarkLink77 said:

The gentrification in certain areas of the city is also making it difficult or many city residents to stay in their communities. I live in DUMBO right now (right next to the Brooklyn Bridge in downtown Brooklyn) and my rent is 3K a month for a one bedroom apartment. We're moving soon to a 2 bed, on the outskirts of Bedstuy (an area that is being severely genrtified) for the same price.

Right next to Brooklyn Bridge?? That is the most expensive area in Brooklyn.. ouch!! Yeah 3K. not surprise at all!

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

@Cheleman said:

@Nick3306:

damn, congrats man

was CS hard? I wanted to study the same thing, but i hated numbers, so i was like nah man...

Nothing is hard if you truly have a passion for it.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17676 Posts

@sukraj said:
@MirkoS77 said:

38, part time student after finally stopping cancer treatment and health issues two years ago that I've been battling since 20. I live with the parents as they are my support, but I still pay room/board.

I save what money I have and am frugal in my spending, plus gaming is my only hobby. A lot of my games I trade in and pay the difference, or wait for Steam sales. I do yardwork (I live on 3 acre farm) and other manual labor I can find. I was a dishwasher up to a few months ago. I also go to yard sales during the weekends and try to flip a profit on good finds through CL/eBay.

I have no "career" as that had to be put on hold, but am now pursuing a degree in English (which may change as I don't think I'm a good enough writer to make a living on). I'm interested in becoming a PC repairman so I can have a schedule that I can conform around my health and also because of the benefits it'd help with my PC gaming , but I need schooling for it.

I'm glad that you're over your cancer treatment mate

Thanks man, it's in the past, for better or worse.

crazypal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 crazypal
Member since 2005 • 535 Posts

I am a 32 year old General physician working at children's ER.

Pay is okayish but too many expensive hobbies are getting me broke so fast.

With the work and the shifts I can hardly touch my games so handhelds are Godsens.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#223  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34670 Posts

28, customer service for a broadband company in Stockholm. The job could be more fun (as in there could be less people yelling at me and more things for me to do), but the pay is OK. I can afford everything I want in gaming. I'm on the lookout for something else, so we'll see where I end up.

miiiiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#224 miiiiv
Member since 2013 • 943 Posts

33, maintenance technician. The work is varied and the pay is alright.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

28. I help out the severely mentally disabled at a high school.

Pay is enough to get by in San Diego but video games is my only hobby that cost money so when I have leftover it is to buy videogames.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12141 Posts

@Nick3306 said:
@Cheleman said:

@Nick3306:

damn, congrats man

That being said, there is nothing wrong with getting an associates degree or taking a rudimentary class to get your feet wet and yourself back up to speed.

panda30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 panda30
Member since 2016 • 941 Posts

@TJDMHEM said:

I'm 35 and I'm a dishwasher.

I normally don't talk to appliance but ummm hi I guees

lol JK.

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

@Mercenary848 said:
@Nick3306 said:
@Cheleman said:

@Nick3306:

damn, congrats man

That being said, there is nothing wrong with getting an associates degree or taking a rudimentary class to get your feet wet and yourself back up to speed.

Ya nothing wrong with that at all, in fact, that is usually a much better idea than groin into something at a university only to realize you don't want to do it.

Jereb31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 Jereb31
Member since 2015 • 2025 Posts

31, Electrical Engineer in Aus, work mostly in the mining industry on heavy power. Pay is awesome when working on site, when in the office pay is probably about average for engineers I suppose.
Not much money going into gaming at the moment, mostly into wedding planning (WOOT!).

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#231 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

23, Musician. In a band- dont have a "real job". Because of touring /band commitments I occasionally teach private lessons/freelance in other ways when I have time off. When I'm not on the road / in studio / blah blah music business, I'm gaming. It's all i'm doing. I graduated with a Music Business degree (technically fine arts degree- not business degree)

And yes my yearly earnings are shit. I make 34% of a penny per Spotify stream, and no one buys music anymore- Which means I typically live below the poverty line and have to be very creative with my gaming purchases. (Buy used game from Gamestop /beat it/ return in 7 days for refund)

djura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 djura
Member since 2016 • 542 Posts

I'm 33 I'm a product manager.

In the past I worked in the game industry as a games journalist; I contributed to various magazines and web sites. I'm looking to get back into that gig, actually (just stretching my legs a little right now - see my signature for the evidence). :-)

In terms of games, I guess I'd say that my biggest problem is time rather than money. I buy far too many games (and now I'm back into retro collecting...what a money drain!), and I don't actually get time to play them enough. So I end up with a big backlog of stuff to play.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5988 Posts

41 Operations Manager for IT company working in schools. I pay for all my fun stuff through match betting and football/horse trading.

Kids at pokemon/minecraft age so while I might game its rarely what I want to play.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44147 Posts

Full time gynecologist, part time cow proctologist treating massive SW butthurt. lol :P

54, purchasing manager.

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 849 Posts

Just turned 30 last month, and have a three-month old baby daughter. Currently work in a night shift IT support job. I earn money both from work as well as tenants who are renting one of my houses (I own two houses - one for renting out to other people, and for me and my wife to live in it).

Agash28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By Agash28
Member since 2015 • 88 Posts

16 and thinking about going into business or computer science. Parents pay for games but I barely ask for it anyways...used to buy $60 games but they're now $80.....definitely working next year.

I think I'm the youngest here.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#237 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@clyde46: hey, passed my class 2 yesterday but took a few attempts and a few days extra training, so the money I had saved for my class1 has been dried up.

I have money left for my CPC so I can apply for roles, class 2 for now.

What types of work would you recommend for class 2 ?

I do have bid vest lined up currently, I know its hard work and you spend most your time picking, but its a start to get experience and its well paid.

I'm open and eager for any work though.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#238 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

22, about to start working full time in retail. I make enough to pay rent and utilities (in conjunction with my GF, we split everything). For gaming, I almost never buy anything at full price unless I really, really want it. Usually wait for sales, price drops, or used copies. For instance, I dropped thirty bucks and got eight games on the recent Steam Halloween sale.

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#239 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

I'm 25 and just got out of the Navy, I was a Junior Officer. Now I'm changing careers to be a Data Analyst, I can't wait to start. I saved up a lot of money so I can afford to play games.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

25 part time courier viagra and suppository to the elderly but mostly I stay behind to dispatch the drivers, hoho. Pays enough to eat, and if I have enough than I'll buy something cheap like forza horizon 3 $20, thanks Target for the mistake :D

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#241 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5271 Posts

This thread is over three months old. Why it is bumped?

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

28, all-round animator and graphic designer.
Pay for gaming by working obviously. Unfortunately gaming a lot less these days because of work as well obviously.

The upside is that I occasionally work on small games for clients.

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2075 Posts

Well I missed this thread the first time round so nice to see some of the stories behind the names,

anyway 26, office manager for a construction firm, basic pay is okay but performance based bonuses help a lot.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#244 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I'm 45 and I'm unemployed I don't buy buy that many games as much as I did when I was younger and I worked for 20 years before I lost my job so I have saved enough cash to buy these systems for instance xbox one and sony ps4 pro and I have quite a few insurance policies that I still haven't touched yet so its all good

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

@onesiphorus said:

This thread is over three months old. Why it is bumped?

I was wondering the same thing.