How Mass Effect 3 should have ended literally

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by TheFadeForever (2188 posts) -

Why not after playing it again I realize it felt almost like a rip off Gurren Lagann and that was after watching Gurren Lagann for the third time.

How did I not see this at first

If anyone doesn't know what Gurren Lagann is its an mecha anime with a similar plot like Mass Effect where they have to stop a race of beings that want to destroy humanity because apparently its to prevent chaos and destruction of the galaxy.

#2 Edited by GodspellWH (696 posts) -

Its been too long come to think of it Mass effect 3 ending does seem like a poorly executed gurren lagann

#3 Posted by TheFadeForever (2188 posts) -

@godspellwh:

They should have pulled one instead of that star child BS

#5 Edited by CroidX (1329 posts) -

Shepard fighting the star child with a large mech and everyone going out as a badass would have been a better ending than the BS we got. They should have just pulled a Gurren Lagann I wouldn't even care if it was a rip off.

#6 Edited by AdobeArtist (23026 posts) -

This is still the best ending, lol :P

Loading Video...

#7 Posted by TheFadeForever (2188 posts) -

There original ending ideas for Mass Effect 3 made it even more similar to Gurren Lagann

Dark Energy was something that only organics could access because of various techno-science magic reasons we hadn't decided on yet," Karpyshyn said. "Maybe using this Dark Energy was having a ripple effect on the space-time continuum.

"Maybe the Reapers kept wiping out organic life because organics keep evolving to the state where they would use biotics and dark energy and that caused an entropic effect that would hasten the end of the universe. Being immortal beings, that's something they wouldn't want to see.

#8 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

It's been over a year... let it go

#9 Edited by Silverbond (16118 posts) -

I liked the ending.

#10 Posted by svetzenlether (3082 posts) -

A Mass Effect thread and Texasgoldrush hasn't shown up to defend it yet?? He must've gotten laid off from EA.

#11 Edited by AdobeArtist (23026 posts) -

@TheFadeForever said:

There original ending ideas for Mass Effect 3 made it even more similar to Gurren Lagann

Dark Energy was something that only organics could access because of various techno-science magic reasons we hadn't decided on yet," Karpyshyn said. "Maybe using this Dark Energy was having a ripple effect on the space-time continuum.

"Maybe the Reapers kept wiping out organic life because organics keep evolving to the state where they would use biotics and dark energy and that caused an entropic effect that would hasten the end of the universe. Being immortal beings, that's something they wouldn't want to see.

I remember hearing that the dilemma of dark energy was the original premise to the motives of the Reapers. But if stopping organics from harnessing this force (and it's volatile effects on the galaxy/universe) was their purpose, why allow all the species to develop at all? If they needed to stop us (and all our predecessors) from mucking space, wouldn't it make more sense to exterminate any organic species as soon as it surfaced, and prevent them from potentially causing havoc before it began?

#12 Edited by TheFadeForever (2188 posts) -

@AdobeArtist:

Depends could be that they don't know if the species will ever be capable of harnessing dark energy so they wait a certain amount of years to see which one were able to harness it instead of constantly wiping out every life that emerges.

#13 Posted by wis3boi (31941 posts) -

I'm more concerned with how these topics will end

#14 Edited by Vaasman (11753 posts) -

@AdobeArtist said:

@TheFadeForever said:

I remember hearing that the dilemma of dark energy was the original premise to the motives of the Reapers. But if stopping organics from harnessing this force (and it's volatile effects on the galaxy/universe) was their purpose, why allow all the species to develop at all? If they needed to stop us (and all our predecessors) from mucking space, wouldn't it make more sense to exterminate any organic species as soon as it surfaced, and prevent them from potentially causing havoc before it began?

The premise of Dark Energy, if I recall correctly, wasn't that they were stopping people from using too much dark energy, it was that dark energy spreading and destroying everything was inevitable, and only a collective intelligence composed of people making a reaper had any chance of developing a solution. They let people develop to exploit the most advanced races, and kill them before they start to abuse dark energy too much. Dark energy ending choice was going to be: do you sacrifice humanity to come up with a near perfect reaper, or do you tell them to piss off and try to figure it out with the collective races of the galaxy. This explained several plot threads that were dropped in ME3, like Tali's mission near the dying star, and why the reapers were racing to make a human reaper in ME2.

Unfortunately, the idea was scrapped when they added a new lead writer, and it became apparent they were just making up the story as they went along with no clear vision for an ending.

#15 Posted by silversix_ (15831 posts) -

Every single person of your crew dies but Thane Krios.

#16 Posted by stuff238 (925 posts) -

I liked Mass Effect 3's endings. Trilogy isn't ruined for me. I get to enjoy it again and again. LOL at the other 99% still butthurt over it.

#17 Edited by ShepardCommandr (3223 posts) -

The entire game was a massive disappointment,not just the ending.

I blame EA.

#18 Posted by Joedgabe (5132 posts) -

oh boy.. here we go again....

#19 Edited by Sagem28 (10498 posts) -

Oh boy, I can hear the Biodrones crying already.

Texas, where are you champ ?

#20 Posted by BattleSpectre (6813 posts) -

Loved Mass Effect. Ending still didn't ruin it for me.

#21 Posted by johnd13 (8177 posts) -

I didn't find the ending bad. I still love and cherish every moment of me playing the Mass Effect trilogy. In fact I can't wait for the upcoming Mass Effect game.

#22 Posted by sSubZerOo (43904 posts) -

To me I was happy simply with the fact it didn't end "And we all lived, happily ever after".. It seriously felt like every freaking person was crying about the fact that there wasn't a really happy ending..

#23 Posted by handssss (1898 posts) -

That only works if Bioware didn't fuck everything up by removing all the dark matter plot elements in the 3rd game. Honestly, there original draft was so much better than this lameass

"no, the reapers exist only because organics and synthetics will never get along, so every once in awhile, we'll just kill all the organics who can make synthetics, since if we just destroyed the synthetics, they'd just build more".

whoever wrote that shit for ME3 should be sacked and never heard from again in this industry. And don't give me that integrity BS or try to claim I shouldn't get a say. No, people who were upset at the ending were investing many, MANY hours into the story and being promised that all of their decisions would shape the course of the ending. Some of us were following the story since 2007. It was such a cruel, monumental slap to the face and it will never be forgotten as the golden shit standard of what NOT to do from this point forward.

#24 Posted by CrimsonBrute (23977 posts) -
@seanmcloughlin said:

It's been over a year... let it go

^This.

#25 Posted by cainetao11 (19192 posts) -

@Silverbond I'm with you, dude.

#26 Posted by AdobeArtist (23026 posts) -

@Vaasman said:

@AdobeArtist said:

The premise of Dark Energy, if I recall correctly, wasn't that they were stopping people from using too much dark energy, it was that dark energy spreading and destroying everything was inevitable, and only a collective intelligence composed of people making a reaper had any chance of developing a solution. They let people develop to exploit the most advanced races, and kill them before they start to abuse dark energy too much. Dark energy ending choice was going to be: do you sacrifice humanity to come up with a near perfect reaper, or do you tell them to piss off and try to figure it out with the collective races of the galaxy. This explained several plot threads that were dropped in ME3, like Tali's mission near the dying star, and why the reapers were racing to make a human reaper in ME2.

Unfortunately, the idea was scrapped when they added a new lead writer, and it became apparent they were just making up the story as they went along with no clear vision for an ending.

Sad Panda in how they subverted the ending :( :(

@ShepardCommandr said:

The entire game was a massive disappointment,not just the ending.

I blame EA.

OK, now with the ending I can understand the discontent. But the entire game? That's either exaggeration or hyperbole. Aside from the last 10 minutes, so many of the moments leading up were greatly memorable, such as the Reaper encounters on Rannoch and Tuchanka, and visiting the awesome locations like Thessia, the Turian moon, and the Salarian research planet.

ME3 addressed every issue people had with ME2. They improved the combat, expanded the RPG design, brought back weapon modding and customization, more armor configurations with loot. And while planet scanning stayed at least it was more streamlined to get rid of the tedious grinding previously involved.

The last 10 minutes doesn't really negate the moments prior all enjoyed in their own time.

#27 Edited by finalstar2007 (25856 posts) -

Didnt see anything wrong with the ending.

#28 Posted by freedomfreak (42932 posts) -

There's like 3 threads about Gran Turismo's score, so I'll just post in this one.

Damn, man. A 7? That's tough. GT's been not all that great this gen. Forza the GOAT something something.

#29 Edited by Evo_nine (2089 posts) -
#31 Edited by Motokid6 (6222 posts) -

Yea the ending sucked, but it was one hell of a ride up till then.

The citadel shouldve been a relay to Andromeda after the crucible was docked to it. Boom.. mass effect 4 in a new galaxy.

The entire ME universe took place in one Galaxy. Well what about the others? Does each galaxy have there own army of reapers? Is the milky way the only "problem galaxy"? I hope this is what Me4 covers... NOT A PREQUEL! I will not be in the least bit be interested in ME if the next one turns out to be just that..

#32 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7877 posts) -

The ending couldn't be salvaged because the entire premise of, 'Synthetics killing us so we don't invent other synthetics that will kill us', is beyond stupid. Its fucking RETARDED.

Its a shame considering the game play in ME3 was easily my favorite.

#33 Edited by chocolate1325 (32595 posts) -

Mass Effect 3 was a great game overall but the ending was a right kick in the teeth.

#34 Edited by AdobeArtist (23026 posts) -

@Motokid6 said:

Yea the ending sucked, but it was one hell of a ride up till then.

Pretty much what I've been saying the past year.

#35 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (18277 posts) -

Nobody Dissects Gameplay anymore...... :(

#36 Edited by BattleSpectre (6813 posts) -

The ending didn't ruin the franchise for me. Yeah so ok, most of you thought the ending sucked hey? But what about the awesome adventure the games gave you before that. Stop bitching and writing off the whole franchise just because of the ending. Mass Effect kicked ass, and my favourite is still Mass Effect 2.

#37 Posted by foxhound_fox (90551 posts) -

BioWare should have just claimed they were doing The Indoctrination Theory all along. It would have saved it.

#38 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

Oh boy.......a "This is how I think mass effect should have ended" thread......I haven't only see this tired old topic done like a hundred thousand times already.

Jesus, you people need to let shit go sometimes.