How do you guys feel about the use of the N-Word in GTA V?

• 132 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10299 posts) -

Do you think it's in bad taste and paints a bad picture of Black Americans?

#2 Posted by lundy86_4 (41641 posts) -

Don't really care. 

#3 Posted by NameIess_One (559 posts) -

Don't really care. 

lundy86_4

#4 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

i feel like it has nothing to do with system wars.

#5 Posted by siLVURcross (26099 posts) -
N*gga it don't matter.
#6 Posted by Thecongregation (56 posts) -

BluRayHiDef
Where the heck where you when San Andreas was out?
#7 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10299 posts) -

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

Thecongregation

I wasn't into games then. By the way, I'm Black. I have mixed feelings toward it.

#8 Posted by R3FURBISHED (9443 posts) -

If you find it in bad taste, you need to live in a place where it is used often. After 10 years in Virginia public schools, hearing it dozens of times each day, I have become acclimatized to it.

Plus I thought Franklin and Lamar's banter was usually very funny.

#10 Posted by mitu123 (153911 posts) -

I'm black and don't mind it at all.

#11 Posted by PhazonBlazer (10975 posts) -

They just tryin to make some paypah and not get keeled.

#12 Posted by psych2416256 (67 posts) -

[QUOTE="Thecongregation"][QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

BluRayHiDef

By the way, I'm Black.t.

And? Are we supposed to care? Why does it matter Get over it dipshit
#13 Posted by kingoflife9 (1987 posts) -

not system wars material, but I live in nyc and have alot of black friends and thats how they talk.... so im used to it.

#14 Posted by Blabadon (23722 posts) -
Grow up in Detroit, the use of the n-word here is completely mild compared to that.
#15 Posted by cloudff7tm (3970 posts) -

The word itself doesn't bother me. It's just another word for buddy, pal, fool, homie, friend, etc. It kind of annoys me when someone can't finish a sentence without using the word but it's not a big deal.

#16 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10299 posts) -

Let me explain something to you guys. I'm Black and am used to hearing it as well. However, I don't condone its usage and am a bit putoff whenever I hear it. As for GTA V, as a large portion of the Black population uses the word regularly, I think its inclusion in the game is acceptable because it creates a realistic portrayal, though it still bothers me a bit. 

#17 Posted by YoshiYogurt (5938 posts) -

BluRayHiDef

I wasn't into games then. By the way, I'm Black. I have mixed feelings toward it.

How were you not into games in 2004?
#18 Posted by Doom_HellKnight (12118 posts) -
I don't think it was in bad taste. It just started to get annoying after about 10 seconds.
#19 Posted by bobbetybob (18838 posts) -
As a middle class white male I was highly offended by the highly offensive language used by...oh who am I kidding I didn't care in the slightest. I feel like they overused it at times especially in one of the conversations between Lamar and Franklin towards the end of the game, I was actually laughing at how ridiculous it got. But I don't think it's that unrealistic, it would be no different to if you replaced it with f**k, most people don't use it that often but I've certainly heard some people that take it to the extreme.
#20 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10299 posts) -

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

[QUOTE="Thecongregation"] Where the heck where you when San Andreas was out?YoshiYogurt

I was mistaken. At that time, the only game franchise I was interested in was Metal Gear Solid. I had just gotten into games at that point. I mean, I had a PS1, but I rarely played it.

#21 Posted by m_machine024 (14704 posts) -

The word itself doesn't bother me. It's just another word for buddy, pal, fool, homie, friend, etc. It kind of annoys me when someone can't finish a sentence without using the word but it's not a big deal.

cloudff7tm

Pretty much this. It's just annoying when it's used too much or abused but that goes with every word. A guy saying "dude" all the time will annoy me also.

#22 Posted by farrell2k (4601 posts) -

I think people who use "n-word" should blog about it instead...

#23 Posted by wis3boi (30269 posts) -

Not for SW and don't really care...go play san andreas

#24 Posted by kingoflife9 (1987 posts) -

[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"][QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

BluRayHiDef

I was mistaken. At that time, the only game franchise I was interested in was Metal Gear Solid. I had just gotten into games at that point. I mean, I had a PS1, but I rarely played it.

so it just bothers you in gta 5?  what about in every single rap song ever made?  or everyday usage?  I just dont get why black people call themselves that.  you dont see jews calling themselves k**es, or chinese people calling themselves c***** or gays calling themselves f***.  But maybe im missing something here.

#25 Posted by Thecongregation (56 posts) -

BluRayHiDef

Where where you when True CRIME:NY city, Wutang Shoalin Style, 25 to life, All those Rap fighting game franchises, Saints row, a part of Scarface, fiddy cents games, 187. certain copies of Animal Crossing: Wild World., etc.?
#26 Posted by Blabadon (23722 posts) -
I just dont get why black people call themselves that.  you dont see jews calling themselves k**es, or chinese people calling themselves c***** or gays calling themselves f***.  But maybe im missing something here.kingoflife9
Culture and acceptability over time. It's as friendly as dawg or homie among many African-American communities. The others you listed are just derogatory terms more often than not.
#27 Posted by EXLINK (5719 posts) -
I feel the same way about the N-word being used in GTA V as I do in movies, music and walking down the street. I don't care.
#28 Posted by kingoflife9 (1987 posts) -

[QUOTE="kingoflife9"]I just dont get why black people call themselves that.  you dont see jews calling themselves k**es, or chinese people calling themselves c***** or gays calling themselves f***.  But maybe im missing something here.Blabadon
Culture and acceptability over time. It's as friendly as dawg or homie among many African-American communities. The others you listed are just derogatory terms more often than not.

im white and my black friends call me that. even i get offended and i know its out of friendship... whatever.

#29 Posted by xOMGITSJASONx (2634 posts) -

It's the most accurate way I ever seen the word used in a video game. It was natural and beautiful IMO. 

#30 Posted by kingoflife9 (1987 posts) -

It's the most accurate way I ever seen the word used in a video game. It was natural and beautiful IMO. 

xOMGITSJASONx

lol i like this guy.

#32 Posted by Blabadon (23722 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="kingoflife9"]I just dont get why black people call themselves that.  you dont see jews calling themselves k**es, or chinese people calling themselves c***** or gays calling themselves f***.  But maybe im missing something here.kingoflife9

im white and my black friends call me that. even i get offended and i know its out of friendship... whatever.

You should tell them that. Answering your question was what I intended to do. The other uses of it, in the similar derogatory fashion, is often just a result of a shitty community/upbringing or personality.

#33 Posted by Consternated (465 posts) -
Words can't describe how little I care. It's a game, deal with it.
#34 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10299 posts) -

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"] How were you not into games in 2004?kingoflife9

so it just bothers you in gta 5?  what about in every single rap song ever made?  or everyday usage?  I just dont get why black people call themselves that.  you dont see jews calling themselves k**es, or chinese people calling themselves c***** or gays calling themselves f***.  But maybe im missing something here.

I love the fact that you're jumping to conclusions. How do you know its usage doesn't bother me in other forms of media or in real life? That's quite presumptuous of you.

#35 Posted by Thecongregation (56 posts) -

Let me explain something to you guys. I'm Black and am used to hearing it as well. However, I don't condone its usage and am a bit putoff whenever I hear it. As for GTA V, as a large portion of the Black population uses the word regularly, I think its inclusion in the game is acceptable because it creates a realistic portrayal, though it still bothers me a bit. 

BluRayHiDef
Do you get your outside of your house black information from BET? Because this is more offensive than what you are claiming in your thread.
#36 Posted by kingoflife9 (1987 posts) -

[QUOTE="kingoflife9"]

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

BluRayHiDef

I love the fact that you're jumping to conclusions. How do you know its usage doesn't bother me in other forms of media or in real life? That's quite presumptuous of you.

well its not a gta5 problem, its a national problem, art imitates life.

#37 Posted by muffin200 (733 posts) -

The game is just a mirror to society. I blame society for the word being used.

#38 Posted by clyde46 (42025 posts) -

BluRayHiDef
Still don't care.
#39 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10299 posts) -

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

Thecongregation

Do you get your outside of your house black information from BET? Because this is more offensive than what you are claiming in your thread.

I live in Brownsville, Brooklyn, one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in NYC. My statement is based on experience.

#40 Posted by Thecongregation (56 posts) -

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"] How were you not into games in 2004?kingoflife9

How about you actually listen to rap songs first? Also Black People are not the same as your oddly made Gay/Chinese example. They don't call themselves N-ers, they use a COMPLETELY INTENTIONALLY MADE UP SPIN VERSION THAT WAS MADE WITH THE SOLE INTENTION TO PREVENT IT FROM OFFENDING THEM BACK IN THE DAY.
#41 Posted by Thecongregation (56 posts) -

BluRayHiDef

I live in Brownsville, Brooklyn, one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in NYC. My statement is based on experience.

In one area in one state.=Whole world.
#42 Posted by sukraj (20600 posts) -

Don't really care.

lundy86_4

#43 Posted by SuperNecro (1423 posts) -
It was used so much that I was starting to think that they included Black people in the game just to have "the right" to use it. They say it so many times.
#44 Posted by clyde46 (42025 posts) -
It was used so much that I was starting to think that they included Black people in the game just to have "the right" to use it. They say it so many times. SuperNecro
The right? :lol: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
#45 Posted by Couth_ (9679 posts) -
N*gga it don't matter.siLVURcross
#46 Posted by SuperNecro (1423 posts) -
[QUOTE="SuperNecro"]It was used so much that I was starting to think that they included Black people in the game just to have "the right" to use it. They say it so many times. clyde46
The right? :lol: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Level with me here. We have two people, one white and the other black. They each say the word in a crowded room. Who gets the horrified reaction? I don't like the word and I don't condone it's usage by anyone. However, there are some that seem to believe that is there word to use and get offended if someone outside of their race uses it. Do you disagree?
#47 Posted by kingoflife9 (1987 posts) -

BluRayHiDef

haha Flatbush here.  I hear it every single day and just shake my head.  its not very pleasant but I understand its out of love most of the time, still its a step back not forward.

#48 Posted by Gue1 (8082 posts) -

I don't feel anything because I'm not the one using it. I often use it on Fighting game chats of the FGC in TwitchTV though, because everybody there is like: nig this, nig that (even the guys streaming like Bum and Filipino Champ even though they are not black) and so I use it as to make a comment sound more ironic or funny. But outside of that is not part of my vocabulary.

#49 Posted by danten81 (129 posts) -
It's a videogame, and a satirical one at that. Look at Trevor(trailer trash), does that paint a bad picture of White Americans. That N-word is pathetic--just a bastardized version of negro which is spanish for "black". You anglos should get your own words.
#50 Posted by XVision84 (13615 posts) -

No.