How do you guys feel about the use of the N-Word in GTA V?

• 132 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hastur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#101 Hastur
Member since 2002 • 1339 Posts

As a European I find it very peculiar, that the average Caucasian American cringes, when ever they hear the N-word. But that it's common practice within the Afro American society. You would think that if they find so offensive, they wouldn't use it themselves.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

I'm not black and don't know how people from that background or part of the world behave in real life so I have no real opinion on it

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

The N-word only bothers white people who want to fake outrage so they can seem socially conscious and important.

African Americans took the word back, thus stripping it of its power, and they have used it to replace the word "brother."

It's their word now to use as they see fit.

So stop faking outrage over the N-word and find something better to do with your time.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

The N-word only bothers white people who want to fake outrage so they can seem socially conscious and important.

African Americans took the word back, thus stripping it of its power, and they have used it to replace the word "brother."

It's their word now to use as they see fit.

So stop faking outrage over the N-word and find something better to do with your time.

Except that they consider only black people have the right to use it and get all outraged when white people use it.
so no the power hasn't been taken power is taken away when its no longer used.

ExtremePhobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#105 ExtremePhobia
Member since 2008 • 349 Posts

@BluRayHiDef: A little mixed I guess. I don't think it's used inappropriately or overly unrealistically considering the characters. They make it very explicit that the way that it's used has different meanings. One of the FIB agents calls someone that and it's very obviously meant to be an insult but when Franklin or Lamar uses it, it's very much used in the same way that one might say "brother". And I'm not really against that.

To be fair, I do also think that at least some consideration was put in to the use of the word as a symbol of economic class and education level. This isn't really all that different from how Michael or Trevor spell things terribly when they send text messages.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

@BluRayHiDef said:
[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

Do you think it's in bad taste and paints a bad picture of Black Americans?

Thecongregation

I'm black as well, and I too have mixed feelings about it. At the end of the day its just a game and that one contains tons of offensive content. Also, you don't have to buy it if you feel its not for you. I honestly would like to see a GTA without the word entirely. I'll not hold my breath on that one, lol.

Where the heck where you when San Andreas was out?

I wasn't into games then. By the way, I'm Black. I have mixed feelings toward it.

MikeLirette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#107  Edited By MikeLirette
Member since 2005 • 4697 Posts

I feel like the N word is just a word like any other swear word now. Even black people I have known don't take offense to me saying it if I joke with them. We are way past that time.

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#108 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

I use it everyday so I'm pretty used to it.

I-AM-N00B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#109  Edited By I-AM-N00B
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts

I didn't care in truth, but Franklin and Lamar were 2 of the few characters I liked in the game.

kingtone85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 kingtone85
Member since 2008 • 47 Posts

The word has no affect on me unless someone says it to my face. Then it is what it is.

caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#111  Edited By caseypayne69
Member since 2002 • 5395 Posts

Why are people afraid to type nigger? It's just a word. Grow some hair on your chest for Christ sake and lets get back to system wars material stuff. No one should user the word but at the same time sites shouldn't ban it either. What are we children. I hate when website (moderate) you or what ever for saying a sensitive word. It's a load of crap. Makes me want to start a gamer site that does not hold back what people want to say.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

It was fine. I love Lamar's liberal use of the word.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

@caseypayne69 said:

Why are people afraid to type nigger? It's just a word. Grow some hair on your chest for Christ sake and lets get back to system wars material stuff. No one should user the word but at the same time sites shouldn't ban it either. What are we children. I hate when website (moderate) you or what ever for saying a sensitive word. It's a load of crap. Makes me want to start a gamer site that does not hold back what people want to say.

That's the thing, typing "n-word" is really no different, everyone knows what you mean and how you mean it in its own context, and even people say it in their head when reading the 'cover-up' word. so yeah, I agree, just say it if you're gonna say something that means it.

gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#114 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts

Doesn't bother me at all, I hear it quite often and use it quite often everyday.

Though I do get annoyed when Rockstar uses the word just to use it.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2028 Posts

White people don't get angry if u call them white, Asians dont get angry if u call them brown or small eyes.. Why black people get angry if u call them black?

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

Media being media basically. Dunno why you go into GTA thinking you're gonna get clean vocabulary.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#117  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@ActicEdge said:

Media being media basically. Dunno why you go into GTA thinking you're gonna get clean vocabulary.

... and equal rights for women.

aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#118 aia89
Member since 2009 • 2828 Posts

My take on the matter is that Americans are too sensitive. I had an american friend in Italy spending holidays with me. We were at a pastry shop and there were some choco pastries called "Obama"

She was almost shocked, saying that in the USA such thing wouldn't be possible and that would be considered offensive.

So, the same thing applies when you guys get shocked by the n-word, and I think you should really take it easy, cause no one is offending you.

When I call a white, pale person "mozzarella", they won't get offended, it's the same exact thing. So, please, stop playing the victims.

musalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By musalala
Member since 2008 • 3131 Posts

Doesn't bother me in the slightest

aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#120  Edited By aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33425 Posts

@siLVURcross said:
N*gga it don't matter.

Nuff said.

ShaineTheNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 ShaineTheNerd
Member since 2012 • 1578 Posts

Out of the 5 black people I regularly interacts with at work (2 male, 3 female), 5 of them say drop n-bombs very frequently. We work in the food area of a hospital. They say them loudly and without caution to small children.

One of my really good friends (black) uses it very frequently.

4 out of 4 of the black kids that rode on my school bus three years ago (middle school students, where my hs and its equivalent ms were connected) said the n word every day multiple times within the 10 minutes I was with them.

I am pretty sure every black rapper uses it in every song.

I hear it used in (non-Tyler Perry) movies with multiple black people very often.

Coming from someone who is not racist and has multiple friends who are black, black people tend to use the n word frequently. GTA did nothing wrong. Black actors, black characters. Nothing wrong with it, besides the fact that it is a degrading word, it is a word often used by black people.

Wtf is up with all the "GTAV Racist?" threads?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#122  Edited By deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
Member since 2009 • 4715 Posts

@aia89 said:

My take on the matter is that Americans are too sensitive. I had an american friend in Italy spending holidays with me. We were at a pastry shop and there were some choco pastries called "Obama"

She was almost shocked, saying that in the USA such thing wouldn't be possible and that would be considered offensive.

So, the same thing applies when you guys get shocked by the n-word, and I think you should really take it easy, cause no one is offending you.

When I call a white, pale person "mozzarella", they won't get offended, it's the same exact thing. So, please, stop playing the victims.

In Sweden there's a pastry literally called niggerball. Or used to be I guess, evolved society happened sometime during the 90's. Don't know what the origin story of the name is, but somehow I doubt it wasn't malicious and racist initially. But from whenever in the dark ages that occurred, the name stopped carrying any real meaning to the population in general as the name was passed to new generations. It was no longer meant to be offensive or anything, it was just the name of a thing. But of course that doesn't stop it from still actually being offensive, racist and malicious. People who didn't grow up here don't know the backstory for the stupid name. They just hear "niggerball" and go like "The ****?", like you might've done, and things become all awkward and alienating from there. And it's just a pastry name, I think our culture can survive changing it in the name of greater good. Now they're chocolate balls, which is still pretty sexy.

Anyway, calling someone mozzarella and calling someone a nigger, is not the exact same thing, at all. The ****? Maybe I read it wrong. I am pretty tired.

What the hell are we even talking about in this thread anyway? Was it about games at some point?

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#123 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

It doesn't bother me.

iampenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 iampenguin
Member since 2013 • 396 Posts

I love it

Chrystsown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Chrystsown
Member since 2005 • 72 Posts

Honestly, it doesn't offend me at all. The dialogue represents only a certain aspect of Black culture, and shouldn't be seen by anyone as definitive of how all of us talk. It's just like how Trevor talks, he certainly doesn't sound like all White people, it's just the type of character that fits with this game. Franklin and Lamar are the same: great characters for a game about "running the streets".

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@WilliamRLBaker: Changing the definition of the word is power. Otherwise it still exists for whites to use against them. The word is never going away. What can change is who uses it and for what purposes. If blacks stopped saying it, whites would pick it up again, so what's the point?

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

i use it all the time but by god i bought the getto boys albums and i am going to sing along with them so there.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

Don't really care.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60702 Posts

I feel it's not really used that much to make that much difference.

PyratRum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#130  Edited By PyratRum
Member since 2013 • 778 Posts

Nope. It's part of the gangster culture in which these characters were portrayed in. It'd be silly if it were any other way.

Loading Video...

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#131 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

I dont really care. Real african american use it too and i dont care.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#132 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

The tv show Boondocks has been a terrible influence on me. Nyaaaaaagaaah!