Hermits want Deus Ex: HR Director's Cut for free

• 89 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

So, recently Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut came out for the Wii U, with a bunch of new features not present in the original game - integrated DLC, improved boss fights, director's commentary, and a few other things. The game was also released for other systems, including PC.

Now, the Steam version of the game is twenty dollars. But, there's a special deal. If you already own the original Deus Ex: Human Revolution, you get 50% off. If you also own The Missing Link DLC, you get an extra 25% off. So if you want the new features in the Director's Cut, but already own the game, you get it for five bucks. Sounds great, right?

The Steam forums tell a different story

Oops.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@PannicAtack said:

So, recently Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut came out for the Wii U, with a bunch of new features not present in the original game - integrated DLC, improved boss fights, director's commentary, and a few other things. The game was also released for other systems, including PC.

Now, the Steam version of the game is twenty dollars. But, there's a special deal. If you already own the original Deus Ex: Human Revolution, you get 50% off. If you also own The Missing Link DLC, you get an extra 25% off. So if you want the new features in the Director's Cut, but already own the game, you get it for five bucks. Sounds great, right?

The Steam forums tell a different story

Oops.

it's an incredibly garbage port job, especially in regards to performance.

Apparently they forgot to adjust the flags. It desperately needs a patch. I find the new graphics to be overly bright and in general less realistic as well, Overall not a fan. I swear the character models also seem like they lost detail from the original.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

Three people make up the PC gaming community? Cool.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52418 Posts

Is this "update" worth the money?

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@PonchoTaco said:

Three people make up the PC gaming community? Cool.

Coz SW.

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts

Look at it like this. If it were a CD Projekt RED development, it would be free.

However, I don't believe people are entitled to free stuff once the game is out. So demanding that it be free is both silly and self-entitled.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

It looks worse and doesn't do a whole lot. I don't want it at all

NameIess_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NameIess_One
Member since 2013 • 1077 Posts

I suppose I could side with them... at this point, HR is over 2 years old game, so really, it would've been a nice gesture to let us owners upgrade for free.

Since I already own HR and The Missing Link, I can upgrade for 4 EUR, but still, calling this a DLC is really a stretch.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#9 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58460 Posts

I guess not every company can be Valve or CD project. Come to think of it, most are greedy as hell compared to these two gods.

KellyKelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 KellyKelly
Member since 2013 • 386 Posts

Hermits want everything for free these days

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

If it was CD Projekt, then they would give it away for free.

TruthArisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TruthArisen
Member since 2013 • 403 Posts

how much more free can you get than "pirated?" :-(

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#13  Edited By DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts

@NameIess_One said:

I suppose I could side with them... at this point, HR is over 2 years old game, so really, it would've been a nice gesture to let us owners upgrade for free.

Since I already own HR and The Missing Link, I can upgrade for 4 EUR, but still, calling this a DLC is really a stretch.

Not at all. Hell, there are still many DLCs out there that feature FAR less content than this does, even if you exclude the stuff you already got. While this isn't exactly high on the content list if you subtract the other parts, it still has some amount.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Considering that Valve, CD Projekt, and BioWare have all given away huge updates for free, it's not a terrible argument. Especially when the port is as awful as it is.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

@Doom_HellKnight said:

Look at it like this. If it were a CD Projekt RED development, it would be free.

However, I don't believe people are entitled to free stuff once the game is out. So demanding that it be free is both silly and self-entitled.

It would also be free if it was a Flying Wild Hogs game as well! I don't think it's a particulalrly unfair assessment. I was trying to find what they really changed in the Director's Cut, and it's minor at best. Boss fights tweaked, and a few graphical enhancements that they ported over from Missing Link. Not worth spending $20 on.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#16 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

what does it really add that owners of the game will want? I wouldn't even replay the game with the free update. I've moved on and I'm sure many who beat the game have moved on too.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17  Edited By Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Well gee whiz, any human would want shit for free. Who wouldn't?

And people are free to spend their money how they see fit, and comment on the product in whatever way they want. Though the content is pathetic for the price they ask in my opinion. I could lose count of how many meaty, quality mods i've added to games for free that have far more content. Sure, modders are free of constraint, but still..

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

I think people are upset because a lot of the added "features" like fixing boss battles are things that should be given as a free patch. I doubt they're upset to be missing out on director commentary

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

The fact that the game isn't automatically being updated is abit of a shock to me. developers in the past have done this so it's abit of a strange move to ask people who have already brought the game to buy it again to get an updated version.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ReadingRainbow4

@lawlessx said:

The fact that the game isn't automatically being updated is abit of a shock to me. developers in the past have done this so it's abit of a strange move to ask people who have already brought the game to buy it again to get an updated version.

I wish they would have added the extra gameplay features and content but had made the graphical "Improvements," a toggleable option.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@lawlessx said:

I wish they would have added the extra gameplay features and content but had made the graphical "Improvements," a toggleable option.

i just want to see the new boss battles.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

Deus Ex 3 is best on PC. Like most multiplats

Fact.

NameIess_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NameIess_One

@DerekLoffin said:

@NameIess_One said:

Not at all. Hell, there are still many DLCs out there that feature FAR less content than this does, even if you exclude the stuff you already got. While this isn't exactly high on the content list if you subtract the other parts, it still has some amount.

The only meaningful content offered here are the improved boss battles, and since original boss battles were the biggest flaw mentioned in most of the reviews, and improvements were requested by gamers since the release, you could easily call this a very late patch. Kinda reminds me of the Extended Cut for ME3, only BW acted much sooner.

Also, as I said before, HR is 2+ year old game, and I've seen sales where you could get the whole thing for 5 EUR. At this point, pretty hard to find reasons to shell out any more money on it.

Now, I don't have a problem with paying 4 EUR, all I'm saying is, the people aren't exactly acting unreasonable on this one.

NameIess_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NameIess_One

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@lawlessx said:

Are these changes in the game visuals really bad enough to detract from the overall experience, when compared to the original?

@Jankarcop said:

Deus Ex 3 is best on PC. Like most multiplats

Fact.

Thank you for the information... in what way does it relate to the discussion at hand?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60665 Posts

@DarkLink77 said:

Considering that Valve, CD Projekt, and BioWare have all given away huge updates for free, it's not a terrible argument. Especially when the port is as awful as it is.

and that should be all that needs to be said.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#27  Edited By donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

I loved the game and support the devs, but I don't want this content until it's $.99 on some steam sale. I've played the game 3 times already and don't feel like a fourth just yet.

GiantAssPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By GiantAssPanda
Member since 2011 • 1885 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Apparently they forgot to adjust the flags. It desperately needs a patch. I find the new graphics to be overly bright and in general less realistic as well, Overall not a fan. I swear the character models also seem like they lost detail from the original.

Does the DC support DX11 effects? And how much worse is the performance vs the original? Bought it a couple of hours ago and downloading it right now.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@GiantAssPanda said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Does the DC support DX11 effects? And how much worse is the performance vs the original? Bought it a couple of hours ago and downloading it right now.

they're pretty bad in my opinion, obviously your mileage my vary but I wasn't pleased at all. planning to replay to the game with the default version as I never finished it. The dx11 options according to the option menu are still in the game although everything feels neutered especially the lighting.

I'm trying a new driver set as mine is several months old but performance has been pretty terrible so far, whereas the original game ran great for me in dx11 with all the bells and whistles on, Gtx 580 OC'd, i7920 4.2gigs, 6gb ram, windows 8 ultimate 64bit.

I still can't believe they haven't fixed the 59hz bug that plagues the game in windows 8 in the DC, they have had plenty of time to fix this shit, there's really no excuse.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

15 years ago this would have been patch content.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I can understand. I mean, The Witcher devs released BOTH enhanced editions for free to players who owned the game. Why shouldn't this be the same way?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@DerekLoffin said:

@NameIess_One said:

Unfortunately this stopped being just DLC since it included things that fixed the game. It's considered a patch and patches are normally free.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

They´re not wrong,that should´ve been a free upgrade considering people are just gettng gameplay tweaks and no new real content.

menes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By menes777
Member since 2003 • 2643 Posts

@lostrib said:

I think people are upset because a lot of the added "features" like fixing boss battles are things that should be given as a free patch. I doubt they're upset to be missing out on director commentary

As usual the consolites skip right past the logical statement because it completely destroys the OP.

marco1k1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#35  Edited By marco1k1
Member since 2004 • 163 Posts

@PannicAtack:

I own the game without the DLC and found it great but frankly paying for slight improvements like better boss fights and directors commentary is not really content worth paying for, not on this small scale at least.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Because it's not adding anything significant, it's just fixing broken bits of the game

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Yeah it should have been free.

Either way i don't care.I don't want to touch this game ever again.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 45894 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Good to know. I'll be staying away from this version.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I suppose it best not to upgrade then?

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

lol i paid 5 bucks for that game during a steam sale now i can get the new and improved version for 5 more bucks? Winning

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#41  Edited By cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Eh Dark Souls the upgrade was free and The Witcher, The Witcher 2, and then there's valve who have released a huge amount of updates to games like TF2 and L4D2 for free. PC gamers are just used to stuff like this being free.

GiantAssPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By GiantAssPanda
Member since 2011 • 1885 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Good to know. I'll be staying away from this version.

I'm having zero issues after playing the prologue and now the first mission. Haven't noticed any bugs, or frame rate drops or stuttering. Playing the game maxed out 1080p. GTX660, i7 920, 6GB RAM.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 R4gn4r0k

@GiantAssPanda:

What about the graphics ? are those actually improved or did they just add bloom ?

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@GiantAssPanda:

What about the graphics ? are those actually improved or did they just add bloom ?

the lighting sucks more than the original, it looks a lot more fake

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 R4gn4r0k

@wis3boi:

That's a shame. I feel this directors cut was focused on WiiU, the PC version looks like an afterthought.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@cain006 said:

Eh Dark Souls the upgrade was free and The Witcher, The Witcher 2, and then there's valve who have released a huge amount of updates to games like TF2 and L4D2 for free. PC gamers are just used to stuff like this being free.

Not true. We pay for DLC just like everybody else. The fact remains that this is a patch. Nobody in their right mind pays for patches.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#48 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

$5 for New Game +.

I can see why people want this for free.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#49  Edited By Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

I don't feel great having to pay $5 just for not-shit boss fights. But it's only $5 (the grand total I spent on the game will still be < $60) and it gives me just enough reason to replay it.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61411 Posts

I'm not surprised.