Has replaying a game changed your opinion of it?

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

have u ever played a game and either been underwhelmed by it or blown away by it the first time but after replaying it your opinion changed? i have two examples

halo ce: firstly, i hated the art direction, i didnt like those little grunts because they looked like a joke. i didnt like the floaty feeling of the game play or the feel of the guns. this was my impression when i played the demo on pc, i later played the demo again a few years later and really enjoyed it. i then purchased the game and it is one of my fav games of all time.

uncharted 2: really impressed with the game, really liked the story and non stop action. started replay a few weeks ago and didnt enjoy it, i guess setpieces are only really good the first time u experience them

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Oh yeah. Classic honeymoon period.

It's not always bad though. Sometimes I end up appreciating it more. Examples? No, none. I don't play games.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

No.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

It's made me appreciate games even more, like GTA SA and Counter Strike.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Only when I come across a better class of games..... Then I can look back and see how lame that piece of crap was..... There is no other way my oppinion has been changed.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#6 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

God of war chains of Olympus. At first I was like its ok, but when I replayed I thought better of it.

Heavy Rain. I really liked it first time around. Couldn't finish it a second time.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22675 Posts

Bioshock was a 7/10 the first time I played it through... It was 9 the second time.

GTA4 was a 6/10 the first time I played it through... It was a 4/10 the second time.

The Last of Us was an 8/10 the first time through... then Carolyn played it and it was an 8/10 the second time. :P

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22675 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

No.

I call B.S. There isnt a single game champ has played that he revisited and found to be better/worse the second time? gotta be something!

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ghostwarrior786

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Only when I come across a better class of games..... Then I can look back and see how lame that piece of crap was..... There is no other way my oppinion has been changed.

give an example of a game that made u think this

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Lulu_Lulu

Heres another thing..... If I form my oppinion patiently than I won't have to change it later on..... Theres still games today that I've played many times over that I haven't formed an oppinion for. One should never come to an oppinion until it is ready..... Sadly not knowing is too much for some people.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#11 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Yes , alot of time .

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Lulu_Lulu

@ghostwarrior786

Mass Effect :)

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

Many but most recent is South Park SToT.. it's feeling much better this time around. Eh, it happen when mah hype was too high for a game. :P

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ghostwarrior786

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ghostwarrior786

playing witcher made me realise how lame mass effect choices were, i hate how they fed us that bs about 'oh every decision u make counts'. fallout even puts witcher to shame

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

Nope...the game better be good the first play through.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#16 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker. Originally, I hated it. Now, I find it relaxing, fun, and easy on the eyes.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Lulu_Lulu

@ghostwarrior786

I never bought that claim in the 1st place..... Most RPGs suck at choices including the Legendary Planescape Torment, an oppinion I didn't come to easily.... But there it is.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#19 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

I recall playing through FFX HD and thinking "wow, there's so much this game did right". I had a renewed appeciation for it.

I'd say that the biggest changes in appreciating a game have been when i failed to get into a game several times and the one day it just clicked. Resident Evil: Remake is an example of this. Even having learnt the controls I still hated the game with a passion. I attempted to get into it several times and it just didn't click. 6 months later I picked the game up, got into it and ended up completing it several times over the course of one weekend.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

Many times. Especially recently when giving some games a second shot.

Didn't like Hitman Absolution at first. Second time I played it I thought it was good. Some levels are way better than others. Some just totally capture the spirit of the old Hitman games (freedom) while others just suck and then I want to quit playing

Didn't like a single AC game at first. And though they are still highly repetitive, I've grown to liking them more. And I still hate the future parts, those made me quit in the first place.

@TheEroica said:

Bioshock was a 7/10 the first time I played it through... It was 9 the second time.

Also Bioshock. I played it 2 times and never got far. But once I got hooked on my 3rd playthrough, I really enjoyed it

@geniobastardo said:

Yes. The first time I played Crysis 2. I totally despised it. But the second time I played it, now you can see it in my top 10 list.

Same with crysis 2, though not to that extend.

First time I played it I thought "What is this crap ? And why is it called Crysis ?"

Second time I played it I kind of liked it for what it was... Still nowhere near Crysis 1 levels though.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@TheEroica said:

@jg4xchamp said:

No.

I call B.S. There isnt a single game champ has played that he revisited and found to be better/worse the second time? gotta be something!

I'd have a hard time thinking of a game. Usually the most divisive I end up getting is when its a game I loved so much as a kid, but don't care for now. Which enters the well duh, your standards were lower when you were a child. I also actively won't replay a game that I know will probably be ruined by a play through. So that's sort of helped my cause, but I also don't call those games great. My criteria for a great game has always been the same with with great tv and a great movie. If it's actually legit great, I should want to experience it again. If I actively don't ever want to try it again: it's not great.

Halo: CE is the closest in terms of me loving the shit out of it in 03, and now going the level design is largely inconsistent. But even then, the great levels are still a lot of fun, and if it had a bigger community I'd totally be down for some Halo CE PC.

So nope. Super Metroid and Prime are still beast, Planescapes story is still fantastic, Bayonetta is still bitchin, and Half Life 2 is still boredom fuel.

NeverMore0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NeverMore0
Member since 2003 • 1278 Posts

Yeah. I thought Final Fantasy X-2 was a decent game the first time I played it. Then when I tried to play the HD version I just hated it. The characters, the battle system, everything. I probably didn't make it a quarter of the way through the game this time.

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ghostwarrior786

@R4gn4r0k said:

Didn't like Hitman Absolution at first. Second time I played it I thought it was good. Some levels are way better than others. Some just totally capture the spirit of the old Hitman games (freedom) while others just suck and then I want to quit playing

ah yes hitman absolution. it was the first hitman game i played and i didnt enjoy it, problem was i was playing it like splinter cell. i then went to play hitman bloodmoney which is a great game and then played hitman absolution. i know this makes no sense because absolution doesnt even play like bloodmoney in most levels but i got a better feel of the franchise and liked the game more.

@jg4xchamp said:

@TheEroica said:

@jg4xchamp said:

No.

I'd have a hard time thinking of a game. Usually the most divisive I end up getting is when its a game I loved so much as a kid, but don't care for now. Which enters the well duh, your standards were lower when you were a child. I also actively won't replay a game that I know will probably be ruined by a play through. So that's sort of helped my cause, but I also don't call those games great. My criteria for a great game has always been the same with with great tv and a great movie. If it's actually legit great, I should want to experience it again. If I actively don't ever want to try it again: it's not great.

Halo: CE is the closest in terms of me loving the shit out of it in 03, and now going the level design is largely inconsistent. But even then, the great levels are still a lot of fun, and if it had a bigger community I'd totally be down for some Halo CE PC.

So nope. Super Metroid and Prime are still beast, Planescapes story is still fantastic, Bayonetta is still bitchin, and Half Life 2 is still boredom fuel.

i dont know if i want to replay halo ce, i really liked the game and dont want a replay to spoil that for me. i thing is for sure, the library level sucked back then and it would suck even more now

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

Of course. But I've mostly liked them even more than the first time.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Bioshock. I must have restarted that game about 10 times. It took me 6 years to beat. The gameplay is so fucking horrible. I finally powered through it right before Infinite came out and Im glad I did. Somehow I managed not to have the story spoiled for me in those 6 years. Id probably give it an 8/10. Originally I probably would have said it was like a 4/10.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#26 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

ugh I don't remember what game it was...maybe it was Final Fantasy XII. I really hated the whole weapon system and the overall combat, but after awhile it kinda grew on me and now I want to play it again.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Who has time to play games twice?

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

GTA IV and Fallout 3 are the most recent examples I can think of off the top of my head. I enjoyed both on the first play through. The second...not so much. GTA IV I just didn't enjoy the 2nd time around. Fallout 3 was soured by New Vegas.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#29 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

First I hated Bioshock, after the second playtrough I tought it was average, now my last playtrough made it feel awesome.

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ghostwarrior786

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Who has time to play games twice?

people who dont have jobs and/or life. i have neither

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Lulu_Lulu

@ghostwarrior786

People like me ! :p

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts

It usually makes me notice more flaws.

hehe101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#33  Edited By hehe101
Member since 2011 • 734 Posts

I think gears of war did for me. I thought it looked clunky and messy. But after playing I really liked it and the story was great aswell. (not judgment)

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#34 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I was really disappointed by twilight Princess but I replayed it and I appreciate it a lot more now.

SoftwareGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SoftwareGeek
Member since 2014 • 573 Posts

@ghostwarrior786:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ghostwarrior786

playing witcher made me realise how lame mass effect choices were, i hate how they fed us that bs about 'oh every decision u make counts'. fallout even puts witcher to shame

PUH LEEZE! Just stop. Stop it. ME blows the witcher away in every single phase of the game. Storyline, game play, decision making. It ain't even close bud.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

I hated FFXII the first time I was playing through it. It wasn't Final Fantasy to me. I hated Ivalice. I hated Vaan and that I didn't get to stick with Reks. I hated the music. I hated that it was real time combat but not action (I had just finished Kingdom Hearts for the first time recently so I just wanted more of that). I even hated the way characters ran. Stopped about 10 hours in after the first judge fight and came back to it about 6 months later.

I now consistently rank it amongst my top 3 games of all time. Everything just clicked for me and I honestly can't explain the turnaround.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Nope

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@SoftwareGeek

Ah.. I see you're finally tall enough to reach the Liquor Cabinet... Well done good sir ! :)

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Star0
Member since 2012 • 451 Posts

Ground Zeroes - thought it would be great, but is is the antithesis of what I like about video-games.

On the rare ocassion that I buy a game I 'feel' will suck it usually does suck so no examples there.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#40 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

I guess Age of Empires 1 since last year I recently played II and II destroys 1.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

ah yes hitman absolution. it was the first hitman game i played and i didnt enjoy it, problem was i was playing it like splinter cell. i then went to play hitman bloodmoney which is a great game and then played hitman absolution. i know this makes no sense because absolution doesnt even play like bloodmoney in most levels but i got a better feel of the franchise and liked the game more.

The best levels are the ones that give you freedom. Just like in Hitman 2 and Blood Money.

You can go guns blazing, you can go stealthily, or even go ghost and make it all look like accidents and like you were never there.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 R4gn4r0k

@Seabas989 said:

I guess Age of Empires 1 since last year I recently played II and II destroys 1.

Sure, II has so many gameplay refinements that there is really no comparison.

And even going back to AOE 1 after playing The Rise of Rome makes AOE 1 feels ancient.

But still, I'll always remember AOE 1 as my favourite game in the series because the setting is just way more appealing to me. i.e. Starting with caveman, going through the stone age, iron age, etc... and creating this big empire like Greece or Rome. Sure, the middle ages were nice too.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Seabas989 said:

Sure, II has so many gameplay refinements that there is really no comparison.

And even going back to AOE 1 after playing The Rise of Rome makes AOE 1 feels ancient.

But still, I'll always remember AOE 1 as my favourite game in the series because the setting is just way more appealing to me. i.e. Starting with caveman, going through the stone age, iron age, etc... and creating this big empire like Greece or Rome. Sure, the middle ages were nice too.

True I never cared for the Middle Ages but yeah the 50 population limit sucked. :P

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 R4gn4r0k

@Seabas989 said:

True I never cared for the Middle Ages but yeah the 50 population limit sucked. :P

Yeah, especially if you build around 50 villagers in newer AOE games that seems really, really small :P

I dunno, was the pop cap any higher in the AOE expansion ? I can't remember.

A new AOE should take the best elements from all the previous games:

-The setting from AOE 1

-The gameplay and balance from AOE 2

-The graphics and physics from AOE 3

-The different looking nations/civs from AOM and AOE 3

heguain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 283

User Lists: 36

#45  Edited By heguain
Member since 2007 • 1433 Posts

Never. It's the same game, isn't it?

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#46 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Replaying Devil May Cry 2 on higher difficulties made it even shittier. That's all I can think of.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

KOTOR. I hated it the first two or three times I played it, but I guess fourth time was the charm, because I ended up loving it after I finally forced myself to get past the first planet.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#48  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

Indeed. Playing Metal Gear Solid at a younger age I thought it was amazing.

In retrospect, it was essentially a bad pantomime. And the series has continued to become worse.

Not that it's a bad game, it was at least creative. Just, not as good as I remember.

Homeworld on the other hand, was superior in every conceivable way, time has been much kinder and sadly (likely to being a strategy pc title) has largely been forgotten. Looking for much forward to the remake. For a new generation, they can experience the series as well.

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Star0
Member since 2012 • 451 Posts

Deus Ex: Human Revolution was a whole barrel of 'suck' when I got it on release. I never accepted that fact though until I spent well over 200 hours playing the damn thing. Denial, I guess.