Genuine question, New PC or PS4 Pro

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RedentSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RedentSC
Member since 2013 • 1243 Posts

I'm a gamer of PC Heritage. until 6 years ago i was only on PC, moved to PS3 just before PS4 launch due to life circumstances and no time to dedicate to PC gaming anymore. I maintain networks and IT infrastructure at work so building a new machine isn't an issue. I've just been out the game so long i feel naive once again.

Now i have a PS4 (day one), but because i smoked around it for a few years it now sounds like a jet engine and must be on its last legs, so it needs replacing / cleaning, hence the idea of a PS4 Pro.

So my question is this, given the 700 quid or so i'm looking to invest (id see if i could get a PSVR too if i went the way of the playstation) whats gonna be better value? Will modern GPU's completely and utterly outdo the PS4 Pro given this budget?

Oh and no Xbox suggestions. not that i've got anything against MS, Hololens looks fantastic, its just the xbox hardware is laughable.

ta!

Red

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

If you think Xbox hardware is laughable, getting a Pro would be even worse. The X1X is easily the best console hardware on the market. Not even trying to suggest you get one, just don't really understand your point there.

But yes, modern GPUs will blow away the Pro. As well as all of the other benefits that come with a good gaming PC.

I'd only look at the Pro if there's some exclusives that you're really interested in. Otherwise, just roll with the PC.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Dreamcast.

RedentSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RedentSC

@ConanTheStoner: Apologies, i didn't mean to suggest the X1X wasn't powerful, its just MS aren't known for their hardware stability, whether its phones, surfaces, or games consoles. I know Sony has had similar issues with consoles but their phones, TVs, Sound systems, and almost everything is rock solid. To me, MS don't even come close when considering a hardware purchase.

But yeah i think i agree with you. It's just 700 seems like a tight budget for what i'm hoping to get out of it (not expecting VR)

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Get the PS4. It’s the best value.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

Which system has the most games that interest you = Go with that one.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@RedentSC:

No need for apology bro, I misunderstood.

Still, I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the various X1 models have been pretty reliable? Don't take my word for it though, I really don't keep up with that stuff. Anyways, if X1 is out of the question for you then it's neither here nor there lol.

But yeah man, 700 for a completely new build (if that's what you're talking about) is more than tight lol. Probably not worth it then. Unless you're willing to save up a bit more, probably best to go with the Pro.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

@RedentSC said:

@ConanTheStoner: Apologies, i didn't mean to suggest the X1X wasn't powerful, its just MS aren't known for their hardware stability, whether its phones, surfaces, or games consoles. I know Sony has had similar issues with consoles but their phones, TVs, Sound systems, and almost everything is rock solid. To me, MS don't even come close when considering a hardware purchase.

But yeah i think i agree with you. It's just 700 seems like a tight budget for what i'm hoping to get out of it (not expecting VR)

You do know you say that while asking how to replace your PS4 that's dying? I love how you find excuses why your PS4 is dying that it isn't Sonys fault, but everything else brekaing is the manufacturers fault.

Either way, PC was always, is and will always be the best option, if you ask generally. If you want a more nuanced answer, you need to give us more infos. Like what you want to play and what's important for you.

Rickflare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 Rickflare
Member since 2018 • 3 Posts

it will be awesome if you prove in a detailed manner

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56124 Posts

New PC! This is NOT up for discussion.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11797 Posts

If you wait for Volta cards to come out you'll definitely get a PC that is leagues above the PS4 pro, unless there are some PS4 exclusives that are a must have or you just build a PC and besides you still have a PS4 that I assume is still functional despite sounding really loud.

RedentSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RedentSC

@ArchoNils2: The reason i need to replace my PS4 is the shear volume of its fans, it crazy, but the machine runs fine.

The reason for the fan volume is my own fault. i broke 2 PS3s in the space of a few years by smoking around them. they fill with dust, which cause heat to rise and the fans to spin faster. its simple physics. the PS4 is just better at getting rid of heat than the PS3 was, hence why its still running. The same would have happened to an XBOX.

As for stuff i like well i have a massive games library on PSN so that's something to be aware of, but as someone mentioned before the PC has many advantage over just a games console, which is just as important to consider i think.

I played eve for many years and go back to it every few months (the eve client is fantastic for running on extremely crap laptops). I also love stuff like Stellaris, Endless Space, Kerbal (although not since my last rig died a few years ago, Kerbal will never run on this laptop), so there are PC games I play too.

Let me be more specific, could a PC with a budget of 700 quid be significantly more powerful than a PS4 Pro currently? or is it swings and round abouts?

@NoodleFighter Good suggestion thank you. I'll do some research

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#13 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

@RedentSC said:

@ArchoNils2: The reason i need to replace my PS4 is the shear volume of its fans, it crazy, but the machine runs fine.

The reason for the fan volume is my own fault. i broke 2 PS3s in the space of a few years by smoking around them. they fill with dust, which cause heat to rise and the fans to spin faster. its simple physics. the PS4 is just better at getting rid of heat than the PS3 was, hence why its still running. The same would have happened to an XBOX.

As for stuff i like well i have a massive games library on PSN so that's something to be aware of, but as someone mentioned before the PC has many advantage over just a games console, which is just as important to consider i think.

I played eve for many years and go back to it every few months (the eve client is fantastic for running on extremely crap laptops). I also love stuff like Stellaris, Endless Space, Kerbal (although not since my last rig died a few years ago, Kerbal will never run on this laptop), so there are PC games I play too.

Let me be more specific, could a PC with a budget of 700 quid be significantly more powerful than a PS4 Pro currently? or is it swings and round abouts?

£700, not a lot of money for a PC, mine cost vastly more, but my case is made to order and did contribute to a higher total value.

And no idea why people keep throwing around buy a PC, i only bought one for better frame rates. This may not be a priority for you, if not then buy a Pro.

Also, don't listen to people saying it's cheaper in the long one, it's not, a myth which has been dispelled most certainly this gen. PSN and Xbox have just as many sale as steam etc, and PC games aren't actually that much cheaper anymore.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Get a SNES Mini

ProjectPat187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ProjectPat187
Member since 2005 • 2178 Posts

Get the PC no question, its way better than the PS4 Pro or any other console on any and every level.

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Vaeh
Member since 2016 • 957 Posts

Once you become PC gamer you will never look back unless you're a console peasant.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11797 Posts

@Random_Matt said:
@RedentSC said:

£700, not a lot of money for a PC, mine cost vastly more, but my case is made to order and did contribute to a higher total value.

And no idea why people keep throwing around buy a PC, i only bought one for better frame rates. This may not be a priority for you, if not then buy a Pro.

Also, don't listen to people saying it's cheaper in the long one, it's not, a myth which has been dispelled most certainly this gen. PSN and Xbox have just as many sale as steam etc, and PC games aren't actually that much cheaper anymore.

I don't know how exact the economy in Britain is but 700 quid is equal to about 948 US dollars which is more than enough to get a decent PC and enter high-end territory, I already looked up PC parts in that currency and it seems clear to me he can easily build a PC with a GTX 1060 3/6GB currently if he wanted to.

These days you're severely limiting yourself if you only look at Steam for PC game sales, HumbleBundle, GreenManGaming, Good Ol Games, Uplay, Origin and etc all offer good deals that are even better than some of Steam's. For example A Hat In Time was on sale for $15 on Good Ol Games but on Steam the lowest it has ever gone was $23. Humble Bundle's bundle offerings are also extremely good for their prices. Also PC gets lots of free games now these days, so consoles can't even justify their pay to play online with "free" games when PC is getting completely free games and the offerings in things like Humble Bundle's bundle subscriptions is significantly superior to what PSN+ and XBL offer most of the time. Not to mention the price for PSN+ has already increased another $10 and the same for XBL in some countries like Canada and even higher in others like India.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44083 Posts

Serious answer...

Mighty X1X MonsterBox MasterRace or Bust. :P

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ArchoNils2
@RedentSC said:

So your entire point is build around what you think the xOne is capable of? You do know that hardware issues were pretty bad back with the x360, but the One doesn't have anything remotely close to that? I don't think the xOne is an option for you, buy saying its hardware sucks is just wrong.

A massive PSN library is certainly a big plus for getting a PS4. Since, without it, you'll lose your access to those games. You won't find a PC for 700 that performs as well as a Ps4 Pro, at least not new, maybe second hand.

About the costs, here I have to disagree with random Matt. PC will always be cheaper in the long run. First you do not have monthly costs to play online. Then games are always cheaper and you get better sales more often. Saying PSN sales can compete with sales on Humble Bundle and website like that is just a lie. You literally get games like Black Flag or Sanctum 2 for free. Also keep in mind that a PC is upgradeable. You can just replace the GPU in a few years which makes future "powerups" cheaper than buying an entirely new PS5. Stuff like the case or the PSU can easely last for more than 10 years. I had last CPU more than 7 years before I replaced it And all that while it performs and looks better than anything on consoles. But yeah, how much money you save depends on how many games you buy and how intelligent you spent your money.

Also keep in mind that a PC can do much more than a console. You get full mod support, a free choice on what input and output devices you want to use and you can use your computer for other stuff too.

I guess if you really enjoy your library on the PSN and you're just a causual gamer who doesn't buy many games, get another Ps4 (no need for the Pro really). If you are an enthusiast who wants to get a better experience, put in mor initial money and save in the long run. You'll be able to get the games you lose really cheap or maybe even free on your PC as time goes on.

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Vaeh

@SecretPolice said:

Serious answer...

Games > UpscaleBox

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SecretPolice

@vaeh said:
@SecretPolice said:

Serious answer...

Games > UpscaleBox

Mighty X1X MonsterBox with thousands of awesome games to play >>>>> yet another pathetic, useless, Cult Bovine Alt.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34617 Posts

Get a new PC. With a PC you have the majority of both the PS4 and Xbox library, the best version of multiplats, steam (and others) sales, free online, less kids that are playing online, more genres to play, just to name a few things why going console would be seriously dumb.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#23  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@RedentSC said:

Now i have a PS4 (day one), but because i smoked around it for a few years it now sounds like a jet engine and must be on its last legs

Nah, thats unfortunately a common problem with the launch PS4 model. I always treated mine exceptionaly well and it has always made a lot of noise also. Until now I had no problem whatsoever with it other than the noise so I doubt it is a "killer" problem. Unless the jet noise is really that annoying to you I'd say, for now, there's no need for you to replace it.

Saying this, if you want to replace your console for somethin to play this is my take:

1. Are Sony's exclusives interesting to you and/or you dont mind much visuals/performance? Buy a PS4

2. Do you prefer better visuals and performance? Buy a PC. I dont think its wise to buy a PC for its "exclusives" cause most of the worthwhile ones always end up on consoles anyway, unless you really like MOBAs/RTS games... its probably the only PC genre that doesnt translate well on consoles

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

PC. Because on PC you have much better controls for shooter games compare to PS4/Xbox1 .

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

PC easily.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 scatteh316

@vaeh said:

Once you become PC gamer you will never look back unless you're a console peasant.

I was a hardcore PC gamer.... now I'm exclusively on console...... because I like games to play!

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ArchoNils2

@scatteh316 said:
@vaeh said:

I was a hardcore PC gamer.... now I'm exclusively on console...... because I like games to play!

So you switched to a platform with much much MUCH less games on it?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts
@RedentSC said:due to life circumstances and no time to dedicate to PC gaming anymore.

You already answered your own question. The rest is just useless fluff.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@scatteh316 said:

This.

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Vaeh

@SecretPolice said:
@vaeh said:
@SecretPolice said:

Serious answer...

Games > UpscaleBox

Mighty X1X MonsterBox with thousands of awesome games to play >>>>> yet another pathetic, useless, Cult Bovine Alt.

How many of those thousands games are available on PC ?

@scatteh316 said:
@vaeh said:

Vice Versa! PC fraud lol

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 scatteh316

@ArchoNils2 said:
@scatteh316 said:
@vaeh said:

No... I moved to a platform with MUCH MORE games that I wanted to play......

People need to stop thinking that more = Best

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SecretPolice

@vaeh said:
@SecretPolice said:
@vaeh said:
@SecretPolice said:

Serious answer...

Games > UpscaleBox

How many of those thousands games are available on PC ?

My weak ass Pee Salty Sea like most others in the wild would cough up blood trying to run those games sooooo, the answer is of course... Zero.

PC's are for work, consoles are for Play. :P

What's next? lol

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@RedentSC said:

I thought actually it was a genuine question till you said the xbox hardware was laugable, but after this post, I think it actually is but you're greatly misinformed.

The thing is phones, surfaces and operating systems are not the same as consoles. Microsoft is actually the best in making consoles compared to sony or nintendo for that matter, the red ring of death is certainly a dent in their reputation but just realize this, the first xbox 360 murdered most pc's when it came to performance at release back in 2005. The ps3 didn't even exist yet and when it came into existense, it coudln't even match the xbox 360 performance and this supposed to be a much better system. The ps3 wasn't exactly free of failure either.

People always said I was lucky whith my x360, which ran over 7 years till I sold it without any problems. The thing is I always maintained my x360 quite well, I cleaned it regularly, changed the cooling paste, made sure it was well ventilated in an airconditioned room, and I also have stable electrical circuit. The people that had breakdowns were covered by warranty as well, it's a drag, but it still costed you less than buying a ps3. The x360 that came with a hdmi port were more reliable than the launch x360 as well.

Had microsoft didn't push the hardware to such levels at that price, it wouldn't have had this many failures. In the end they're better at making consoles than sony, the xboxone for instance is a more durable system than sony's ps4.

IF your budget is 700 pounds then the ps4 pro won't come close to that performance in a pc, the xboxone x will already be a much better contender but in the end the pc will still be better. You don't buy a console for the performance but for the ease of use, your friends, the exclusives and to play multiplayer games with a controller ( but also against other people with a controller). You can play with the controller on the pc, sure, but that doesn't make your opponent use a controller, most likely he will be using a mouse and keyboard, and while that isn't that comfy as you laying back in your seat with a controller, it's a lot better in shooter games.

A 700 pound pc will also give you access to vr, and much better vr than what you will find on the playstation, when it comes to roomscale, tracking and diversity in content. I play fallout 4 in vr, and it's as close to the matrix you will get at this moment.

dantesergei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36  Edited By dantesergei
Member since 2004 • 2254 Posts

@Shewgenja said:
@scatteh316 said:

This.

The only correct answer, most of the other posts are just deluded fanboys.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ArchoNils2

@scatteh316 said:
@ArchoNils2 said:
@scatteh316 said:
@vaeh said:

No... I moved to a platform with MUCH MORE games that I wanted to play......

People need to stop thinking that more = Best

Well that's a very different thing you say now. The last post sounded like the library on PC is weaker which it isn't. Despite PC having a lot more games, less get reviewed and yet PC has more high rating games than all consoles (sometimes combined) every year for a looong time.

Sure you can make it subjective, that you just happen to like those few games more than the vastly superior and bigger PC library, but you can't make an objecive statement lile "because I like to play games" implying that the PC library "has no games"

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

@Random_Matt said:

Except Steam isn't the only place to get game deals. Now more than ever there's an abundance of digital distributors for PC games (Green Man Gaming, GOG, Humble Bundle...), it still makes the XBL and PSN deals just laughable in comparison. The internal competition not dictated by corporate oversight (Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo) drives better deals. Oh and how much is that pay to play online with PC again? Yeah.... the long term savings is still very much a strong point for the PC, not in any way a "myth".

And to address @RedentSC directly; if you are as versed in PC building as you say, I don't see why you wouldn't consider going that route. Your 700 Euros will go a lot farther than the PS4 Pro. Not necessarily ideal for 4K but then again neither is PS4 Pro (no matter how they market it) if that's even a concern. You'll still get native 1440p plus even access to ultrawide resolutions and high refresh monitors (120, 144, 165 Hz) a far more visually enriching experience than 4K if you ask me. Coupled with higher graphics settings for stellar picture fidelity, and most of all uncapped frame rates. Should be able to get well over 60 fps in 1080/1440p in almost all games. Why settle for 30 fps?

Avatar image for GiveMeSomething
GiveMeSomething

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GiveMeSomething
Member since 2007 • 1323 Posts

Ps4 pro EASILY. Dont get fooled by noobs that play PC. They mostly play shit games like DoTa, LoL, Hearthstone etc. Also, its frustrating because pc games have SO MANY bugs because of the infinite existing set ups, that causes so many compatibility issues, its not worth it. This is without mentioning the price. Just no, go away pc.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

@GiveMeSomething said:

Ps4 pro EASILY. Dont get fooled by noobs that play PC. They mostly play shit games like DoTa, LoL, Hearthstone etc. Also, its frustrating because pc games have SO MANY bugs because of the infinite existing set ups, that causes so many compatibility issues, its not worth it. This is without mentioning the price. Just no, go away pc.

Yeah, because games on consoles neeeeeever have bugs or crashing issues. Not like you have Day 1 patches for a game you just bought on PS4 or X1, right? You're clueless when it comes to PC hardware, your concepts of compatibility issues are as accurate as the Flat Earth model.

Oh and I'm playing Witcher 3, Ghost Recon Wildlands, The Division, Mass Effect Andromeda, Titanfall 2, DOOM, Deus Ex MD, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and plenty other AAA games... all at high native ultrawide resolution, Ultra settings, and higher than 60 fps. PC gets both the competitive e-sports games, indie games, and all the multiplat AAA titles.... with better performance.

Only one you're fooling, is yourself.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42  Edited By X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

why not both?

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Very happy with the Pro. But it comes down to if you are interested i the exclusives Sony makes. Franchises like God Of War, Uncharted, the Last Of Us, Horizon, upcoming Spiderman etc. If you are interested in those games then go with Ps4. If you are not then I would go with a PC.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

If it is going to be your only gaming device 100% go with the PC.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@Xabiss said:

If it is going to be your only gaming device 100% go with the PC.

this

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@GiveMeSomething said:

And what do you play that is better than those games?

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#47  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

TBH the only reason for getting a PS4 over a PC that I can think of based on your situation is the friends you might not get to play with again on PSN when/if your PS4 packs in. If that isnt an issue then id save up a bit more and go all out on PC.

I have just spent over 1600 on new PC parts yesterday, getting ready to upgrade to the Vive pro when it releases in a few months and still waiting to buy those "knuckle controllers" from Valve if they ever release :D.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

Even though GPU and RAM prices are ridiculously stupid right now, still get a PC.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

$700 is a bit of a tight budget for a brand new PC. I'd go with the Pro in your case, best value for money and you can still buy PSVR.

Though it really depends on what you plan to do with the PC. If you're only using it for gaming $700 might not be good enough for what you're looking for. If you also plan on doing other stuff with your PC like media and productivity then I'd suggest getting the PC.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#50  Edited By BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17812 Posts

@RedentSC: I would open up your PS4 and clean it out with a can of compressed air and keep it for the exclusive games. Save up a little more money and build yourself a PC you will be proud of and that will destroy the consoles.

Last recommendation... you should stop smoking. It will improve your health, you won't be damaging your hardware, and you can put the smoking money towards your PC. :)