Genuine question, New PC or PS4 Pro

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Firstly I'd say clean out you PS4, all you need is a can of dry compressed air to remove most of the dust and some 90%+ IPA (Isopropanol or Isopropyl Alcohol) for any sticky bits from the cigarette smoke. You can get both online or from Maplin. Obviously you'll need to open your PS4 to do that but I doubt the warranty is still valid. That's a better option and a hell of a lot cheaper than buying anew PS4.

If you want to get back into PC gaming then save some more money. RAM and GPU's are silly prices at the moment and a decent mid range PC will cost a little under a grand without a monitor, keyboard or mouse. I don't and likely never will recommend a budget/entry level build, you can get better deals with pre-builds in the budget range.

If neither of those seem like a good idea then go for a PS4 Pro and get your PSVR headset. Do not get a bog standard PS4 if you want to get a PSVR headset.

By the way the hardware in the Xbox One X smokes the PS4 Pro and it's probably the best value gaming hardware available. As you won't have a gaming PC there are just as many games available to it that aren't on the PS4 as the PS4 has good exclusives. Everything gets the AAA multi-platform games.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#52 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

Pick what suits your fancy. Both systems will have enough games to keep you occupied. Hell, even the Xbone would have enough games.

I game on the PS4 Pro, doesn't mean that is the ideal setup for everyone. Go with what interests you.

carlquincy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 carlquincy
Member since 2012 • 391 Posts

PC, since you already owned a PS4.

I've read that reapplying thermal paste helps in the noise problems in some PS4s. You may wanna look more into that

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5014 Posts

Lol @ the “PC is more expensive” arguments which yet again, don’t factor in the cost to play online with consoles.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#55  Edited By GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@carlquincy said:

PC, since you already owned a PS4.

I've read that reapplying thermal paste helps in the noise problems in some PS4s. You may wanna look more into that

If it's loud from the fans running maxed out all the time, then new thermal paste can help by making heat dispersion more efficient but if the fans are rattling or grinding then it probably just needs the crud removed from them.

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#56  Edited By VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

well since i didnt buy into this gen of consoles..I would totally love to build a new pc..not so much for gaming but to handle video and photo editing faster and better..games would be last..

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@RedentSC said:

I'm a gamer of PC Heritage. until 6 years ago i was only on PC, moved to PS3 just before PS4 launch due to life circumstances and no time to dedicate to PC gaming anymore. I maintain networks and IT infrastructure at work so building a new machine isn't an issue. I've just been out the game so long i feel naive once again.

Now i have a PS4 (day one), but because i smoked around it for a few years it now sounds like a jet engine and must be on its last legs, so it needs replacing / cleaning, hence the idea of a PS4 Pro.

So my question is this, given the 700 quid or so i'm looking to invest (id see if i could get a PSVR too if i went the way of the playstation) whats gonna be better value? Will modern GPU's completely and utterly outdo the PS4 Pro given this budget?

Oh and no Xbox suggestions. not that i've got anything against MS, Hololens looks fantastic, its just the xbox hardware is laughable.

ta!

Red

Been installing/maintaining any new Cisco 9900 series or 3850's or are you running the older shit?

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@RedentSC said:

@ConanTheStoner: Apologies, i didn't mean to suggest the X1X wasn't powerful, its just MS aren't known for their hardware stability, whether its phones, surfaces, or games consoles. I know Sony has had similar issues with consoles but their phones, TVs, Sound systems, and almost everything is rock solid. To me, MS don't even come close when considering a hardware purchase.

But yeah i think i agree with you. It's just 700 seems like a tight budget for what i'm hoping to get out of it (not expecting VR)

I like my cheap MS Lumia, decent/sturdy phone for the price. Xbones are quiet. My X has kicked up its fans once during Tomb Raider, kinda startled me since it had been so quiet before that. My PRO sounds loud when compared to it, it's whirling its fans all the time. My old PS4 sounds really horrible, I've opened it numerous times, had minimal amount of dust inside, I even changed the thermal paste and it hardly helped.

IMO MS made the sturdier devices this gen, too bad they lack the games...

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 6100 Posts

Unless you want to pay over inflated prices for GPU and memory buy and Xbox one X. Its closer to the PC performance than PS4 Pro and represents overall best value.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

Buy the one that has the games you want to play. It's that simple.

PC has in general a complete different audience game wise then what consoles have.

NeutrinoWorks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 NeutrinoWorks
Member since 2018 • 75 Posts

PS4 Pro + PSVR is the easy choice if you like AAA current gen games

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#64  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Anyone who has to ask I always say PS4.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

this thread is almost a year old

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2086 Posts

why necro this thread?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

I have both. The ps4 is ok for the exclusives, but there is not that many and everything else is 1000 times better on pc. Haven't turned mine on in weeks.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@sonny2dap said:

why necro this thread?

Because advertisement

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#69  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58450 Posts

@RedentSC: PC is always the best option if given a choice.

Do you currently have an existing desktop? What are it's specs?

It might be that all you have to do is drop in a new GPU, and not get a whole new setup. My PC is going on six years old at the moment and is still awesome.

@BassMan said:

@RedentSC: I would open up your PS4 and clean it out with a can of compressed air and keep it for the exclusive games. Save up a little more money and build yourself a PC you will be proud of and that will destroy the consoles.

Last recommendation... you should stop smoking. It will improve your health, you won't be damaging your hardware, and you can put the smoking money towards your PC. :)

This is probably the best, most concise, advice I've ever heard anyone give on this website in the 13+ years I've been coming here haha

*aw necro thread WTF