Gears got a high score because....

• 151 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#151 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

[QUOTE="nintendoman562"]its the most overrated game this generation IMO. 02152008

Why do you think that?

The reason for people thinking its overrated is because the story sucks,the characters are uninteresting,the MP is bland as hell and everyone think this game created the freaking cover system which it didint. It just tweaked Kill.swich cover system and added graphics. THe gameplay is soild,but nothing new.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#152 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts
[QUOTE="Cranler"][QUOTE="ogvampire"][QUOTE="Cranler"][QUOTE="ogvampire"]

if you would have replaced "drakes fortune" with "tomb raider" i would have thought you were talking about the same game.

ogvampire

Never said Drakes was original but you can tell a lot more work went into it than Gears. So much more to Drakes than Gears.

All Epic did was copy one gameplay mechanic of Manhunt and made a whole game out of it.

you can say the same about Drakes Fortune. all they did was copy tomb raider, make the character a guy and polish the graphics. the gameplay is virtually the same as tomb raider.

so then why are you being so critical of Gears when the game youre comparing it to suffers from the same issues?

Gears copied one gameplay mechanic and thats the entire game. Drakes is like Tombraider and Gears combined. Much deeper game.

no. gears is a third-person shooter WITH some extra gameplay mechanics. ALOT of games are based on current genres and all they do is add a little twist (gameplay mechanic in your words).

gears was trying to be different, drakes was trying to be a dude version of tombraider. drakes doesnt do what tomb raider did any better, but gears actually used the cover mechanic successfuly unlike previous shooters

i also got most of my playing time from gears playing online. what did you do when you finished uncharted?

EDIT: anyway, this conversion is obviously going in circles. just look at the reviews for Gears and compare them to the reviews for Uncharted. You will see that almost all of the reviewers gave Gears a higher score.

How in the world was gears trying to be different? It wasint. Unless you call a chainsaw different. Also I found the MP boring so I didint get much out of it. Also yes I own the game and I kind of have the buyer remorse.

Adrian_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#153 Adrian_Cloud
Member since 2006 • 7169 Posts
Crack + Great graphics.

Cons:
A.I
Story
Character Designs
Animations
Lack of next-gen physics
Monotone colour design
Length
Lack of innovation

Pros:
Length
Great controls
TPV
Single Player experience was compelling
Cut-scnes
Visuals

Gears of War 8/10
Imgangsterdawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 Imgangsterdawg
Member since 2008 • 184 Posts
[QUOTE="ogvampire"][QUOTE="Cranler"][QUOTE="ogvampire"][QUOTE="Cranler"][QUOTE="ogvampire"]

if you would have replaced "drakes fortune" with "tomb raider" i would have thought you were talking about the same game.

finalfantasy94

Never said Drakes was original but you can tell a lot more work went into it than Gears. So much more to Drakes than Gears.

All Epic did was copy one gameplay mechanic of Manhunt and made a whole game out of it.

you can say the same about Drakes Fortune. all they did was copy tomb raider, make the character a guy and polish the graphics. the gameplay is virtually the same as tomb raider.

so then why are you being so critical of Gears when the game youre comparing it to suffers from the same issues?

Gears copied one gameplay mechanic and thats the entire game. Drakes is like Tombraider and Gears combined. Much deeper game.

no. gears is a third-person shooter WITH some extra gameplay mechanics. ALOT of games are based on current genres and all they do is add a little twist (gameplay mechanic in your words).

gears was trying to be different, drakes was trying to be a dude version of tombraider. drakes doesnt do what tomb raider did any better, but gears actually used the cover mechanic successfuly unlike previous shooters

i also got most of my playing time from gears playing online. what did you do when you finished uncharted?

EDIT: anyway, this conversion is obviously going in circles. just look at the reviews for Gears and compare them to the reviews for Uncharted. You will see that almost all of the reviewers gave Gears a higher score.

How in the world was gears trying to be different? It wasint. Unless you call a chainsaw different. Also I found the MP boring so I didint get much out of it. Also yes I own the game and I kind of have the buyer remorse.

dude that`s like your opinion, every reviewer disagrees with you, plus you`re a cow, of course you`re going to think a 360 game is overrated, Drake flopped get over it and dont try to use GRs in here, they`re useless.
shivaskunk9mm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 shivaskunk9mm
Member since 2004 • 582 Posts
i would have thought it was pretty obvious that gears unparalleled graphics at the time of it's release had ALOT to do with it's near perfect scores and multiple goty awards. It's a solid game for sure, but there are aspects of the game that, had not the reviewers been so taken by the graphics and chainsawing, would ceratinly have warranted a few point deductions. Without doubt an identical game with, lets say PDZ (a game that in itself further proves the point, btw) level graphics would have critized a bit more for the short campaign and kind of mediocre online mode.
L1qu1dSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#156 L1qu1dSword
Member since 2006 • 2835 Posts
Being the first does not hurt but lets face it, graphically it is still superior to pretty much everything out there( except PC) and it is an awesome game in every way.
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 ogvampire
Member since 2008 • 9123 Posts
[QUOTE="ogvampire"][QUOTE="Cranler"][QUOTE="ogvampire"][QUOTE="Cranler"][QUOTE="ogvampire"]

finalfantasy94

if it wasnt different, then can you name a game that is similar?

ie: uncharted very similar to tomb raider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 02152008
Member since 2008 • 203 Posts
[QUOTE="02152008"]

[QUOTE="nintendoman562"]its the most overrated game this generation IMO. finalfantasy94

Why do you think that?

The reason for people thinking its overrated is because the story sucks,the characters are uninteresting,the MP is bland as hell and everyone think this game created the freaking cover system which it didint. It just tweaked Kill.swich cover system and added graphics. THe gameplay is soild,but nothing new.

Well, people like me have different opinions.