Gears got a high score because....

• 151 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#101 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts
[QUOTE="PC360Wii"]

Gears of War and Crysis shared similar flaws, only Crysis SP kicked Gears out of the park.

Yet they both scored 9.5 + ... lesson to everyone Graphics do majorly effect scores, because neither deserved more than 9.0.

skrat_01

Both Crysis and Gears multiplayer was great - but flawed, mainly due to netcode reasons and bugs - however Crysis certainly trumps gears in the SP department.

Of a 9.5 Crysis is much more deserving - also counting the sandbox editor.

Um i think the crysis mp was garbage. THat would probably be a win for Gears of War.

But thats really not saying anything IMO because while Gears was addicting in some ways it was limited, had like no content, had many design flaws.

That i would say Crysis as a whole is a much better done game than gears of war.
The_Crucible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 The_Crucible
Member since 2007 • 3305 Posts

I think you'd have to be blind not to see that this game wouldn't score as favorably now. Which isn't to say the game isn't good. It is.

But the overall point is, views on what is good change over the course of a gen. And for people to say "teh show me a game that scored as well as Kameo" is only blind to the facts. While it was a great game for its time, it wouldn't hold the same water today. And that goes for Resistance was well.

TerroRizing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 TerroRizing
Member since 2007 • 3210 Posts
[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

gameplay 9
graphics 10
sound 10
value 9
tilt 10

p2rus

casey we know scores are all based on the relative games that are out...look at pdz. would it get aaa today? would gears?

Gears just got AAA on pc, so yeah... This whole ignorant thread is garbage.

The_Crucible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 The_Crucible
[QUOTE="p2rus"][QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

gameplay 9
graphics 10
sound 10
value 9
tilt 10

TerroRizing

casey we know scores are all based on the relative games that are out...look at pdz. would it get aaa today? would gears?

Gears just got AAA on pc, so yeah...

With no improvements on the PC version that the 360 didn't have, right? Come on!

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts
[QUOTE="TerroRizing"][QUOTE="p2rus"][QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

gameplay 9
graphics 10
sound 10
value 9
tilt 10

The_Crucible

With no improvements on the PC version that the 360 didn't have, right? Come on!

we'll never know.

The_Crucible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 The_Crucible

Not much of a point, a year old game with a few extra levels... What do you think Resistance would get on pc, even with a few extra levels.

TerroRizing

A better score.

TerroRizing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 TerroRizing
[QUOTE="TerroRizing"]

Not much of a point, a year old game with a few extra levels... What do you think Resistance would get on pc, even with a few extra levels.

The_Crucible

A better score.

lol

ukillwegrill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#109 ukillwegrill
Member since 2007 • 3528 Posts
[QUOTE="TerroRizing"][QUOTE="p2rus"][QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

gameplay 9
graphics 10
sound 10
value 9
tilt 10

The_Crucible

Actually it only has a few improvements,extra chapter and better visuels.

If GeOW was to be released today it would still be AAA

PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 PC360Wii
Member since 2007 • 4658 Posts
[QUOTE="skrat_01"][QUOTE="PC360Wii"]

Gears of War and Crysis shared similar flaws, only Crysis SP kicked Gears out of the park.

Yet they both scored 9.5 + ... lesson to everyone Graphics do majorly effect scores, because neither deserved more than 9.0.

jg4xchamp

Both Crysis and Gears multiplayer was great - but flawed, mainly due to netcode reasons and bugs - however Crysis certainly trumps gears in the SP department.

Um i think the crysis mp was garbage. THat would probably be a win for Gears of War.

But thats really not saying anything IMO because while Gears was addicting in some ways it was limited, had like no content, had many design flaws.

That i would say Crysis as a whole is a much better done game than gears of war.

That was my point, both Multiplayers were lackluster ( I dont care how many people played Gears online ... they didnt have many options at the time ).

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
[QUOTE="skrat_01"][QUOTE="PC360Wii"]

jg4xchamp

Honestly I really enjoyed Crysis power struggle - I still do - even though it does have few too many bugs.

Gears was addicting, but poor netcode, bugs and design flaws were aplenty.

Though yea I agree with you on Crysis being a better done game.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#112 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts
Gears took from kill.swich and RE4. They just tweaked the cover system a bit. Also I remember the dev team admiting they took a bit from RE4. Gears does nothing and I mean NOTHING special. The story is boring and uninteresting. The characters are bleh. I think the only remotely intersting characters are Marcus and don(if thats his name). All they need for cole train is a du rag and a gold chain and the stereotype will be complete. I found it annoying how stereotypical they were with cole train. When it comes to story and characters epic just fails. THe gameplay was fun,but nothing special. THe online is bland and nothing special. Yes I own the game and Yes iv played it,but got very bord very quick.
cosmostein77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 102

#113 cosmostein77
Member since 2004 • 7043 Posts

As the old System Wars saying goes:

"If its on your console and it scores an AAA then its amazing, if its on another console and it scores an AAA its either; Overrated, Rehashed, or teh kiddy"

doobie1975

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 doobie1975
Member since 2003 • 2806 Posts
gears got a great score becouse its a great game. fact
Bazfrag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Bazfrag
Member since 2004 • 2217 Posts

Thanks for deleting my post Casey. Touched a nerve at C-net did i??? Well here is more work to do. Freedom of speech much??

Ever heard of a joke??? Well my comments were meant as a joke, but your pathetic attempts to remove any mention of "the Jeff affair" reeks of guilt imo. You owe people refunds on the trash they bought on your reviewers say so.

So which game are Gs gonna a get paid to overrate next?? (clue- the game will be advertised on the main page)

MOD ME I DONT CARE. Truth hurts Cashspot dont it? Unless of course your will accept £100 to not mod me....

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#116 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts
[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

gameplay 9
graphics 10
sound 10
value 9
tilt 10

p2rus

Didn't Gears of War for the PC a few months ago get AAA? :|
Donkey_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Donkey_Puncher
Member since 2005 • 5083 Posts

It got a 9.6 because it was a GREAT game. The SP and Co-op were great, and the MP (despite the netcode flaws) was still fun in general.

Haters can keep hating all they want.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#118 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts
[QUOTE="my-big-pose"][QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

gameplay 9
graphics 10
sound 10
value 9
tilt 10

CaseyWegner

is that suppose to prove my point or to be against it?

it's numbers are high all across the board. it wasn't AAA because of "ooo look at the graphics".

No, but it definitely hyped the game to no end and probably influenced the score. Gears introduced a good cover system and non-stop action. I always compare it to a 3d Metal Slugs (for no good reason).

But, did it deserve 9.6, no. But it was far more next-gen than what someone said earlier about GRAW.

Gears 2 has a lot of hype to live up to considering the quality that has come out. I mean, Rainbow Six Vegas came out soon after Gears and it was amazing all over the place.

Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Mordred19
Member since 2007 • 8259 Posts
people seem to forget the flaws in the SP. I don't care that it was short. I care that it had too few checkpoints that made the higher difficulties an unfair grind, especially when you had to walk through the same scripted moments over and over again. the AIs were poor as well. did everyone in November 06 have the exact same blindfold on?
akif22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#120 akif22
Member since 2003 • 16012 Posts

i thought it scored high because the gun had a chainsaw on it ...

no really, it was a great game .. great graphics, atmosphere, multiplayer, level design, and most importantly gameplay (how many good 3rd person shooters are there? - not many IMO)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 02152008
Member since 2008 • 203 Posts

It got a 9.6 because it was a GREAT game. The SP and Co-op were great, and the MP (despite the netcode flaws) was still fun in general.

Haters can keep hating all they want.

Donkey_Puncher

Yes, that's correct. It certainly didn't do it as a result of the graphics. It's a diverting video game.

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 ogvampire
Member since 2008 • 9123 Posts

Gears got a high score because the reviewer really liked it. plus pretty much EVERY other reviewer gave it a high score too

so im not sure what point youre trying to make

Grive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Grive
Member since 2006 • 2971 Posts

i thought it scored high because the gun had a chainsaw on it ...

akif22

Well, duh. It's a MACHINE GUN with a CHAINSAW on it. 9.6 am confirmed. Everything else was just gravy, and we all know that, except some rather sad cows who never basked in the absolute awesomeness of the Lancer.

:P

Seriously though, the game got a 9.6 because it had great single player, great co-op and very fun competitive mp. It was also a technical powerhouse, and artistically it wasn't too shabby, either. The weapons were cool and fun, and the game mechanics were great, new (not original, but relatively new compared to the average), and worked perfectly.

And it had the Cole-Train rockin' the mike like a vandal in what has to be one of the most painful (yet somehow laugh-inducing in a I-can't-believe-the-world-has-come-to-this way) end songs of this gen :D

ukillwegrill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#124 ukillwegrill
Member since 2007 • 3528 Posts

Gears took from kill.swich and RE4. They just tweaked the cover system a bit. Also I remember the dev team admiting they took a bit from RE4. Gears does nothing and I mean NOTHING special. The story is boring and uninteresting. The characters are bleh. I think the only remotely intersting characters are Marcus and don(if thats his name). All they need for cole train is a du rag and a gold chain and the stereotype will be complete. I found it annoying how stereotypical they were with cole train. When it comes to story and characters epic just fails. THe gameplay was fun,but nothing special. THe online is bland and nothing special. Yes I own the game and Yes iv played it,but got very bord very quick.finalfantasy94

Name one PS3 title thats innovative?

Uncharted.......HELL NO

Cole train was modeled after a real guy who was called in to look a character and discuss changes,besides he was just a black version of marcus.

sam280992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 sam280992
Member since 2007 • 3754 Posts

[QUOTE="finalfantasy94"]Gears took from kill.swich and RE4. They just tweaked the cover system a bit. Also I remember the dev team admiting they took a bit from RE4. Gears does nothing and I mean NOTHING special. The story is boring and uninteresting. The characters are bleh. I think the only remotely intersting characters are Marcus and don(if thats his name). All they need for cole train is a du rag and a gold chain and the stereotype will be complete. I found it annoying how stereotypical they were with cole train. When it comes to story and characters epic just fails. THe gameplay was fun,but nothing special. THe online is bland and nothing special. Yes I own the game and Yes iv played it,but got very bord very quick.ukillwegrill

Name one PS3 title thats innovative?

Uncharted.......HELL NO

Cole train was modeled after a real guy who was called in to look a character and discuss changes,besides he was just a black version of marcus.

Eeermmm Eye of Judgement?

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts
Honestly, I erally enjoyed GeOW, it was FUN both SP, MP, and Co-op. I get the feeling this thread is a PS3 thread of jealous fanboys.
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

Come on! The cover system in Manhunt was a joke, and I also played Kill.switch, that game was innovative but it was also a mess. So far the game with the most polished cover system is GeoW, kudos to that.

vash47

CliffyB's inspiration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLlAdSC4_38

Doesnt look like a joke to me. Plays just like Gears.

Epic also copied off Pitch Black. Nothing innovative gameplay wise, story wise, enemy wise. Compared to HL2, Halo, Riddick, Drakes Fortune etc Gears is half a game.

HL2 breaks up the usual shooting gameplay with the gravity gun or driving a vehicle dodging bombs, rockets and jumping gaps. Epics idea of breaking up the action is the painfully boring 15mph vehicle mission or pointing a spotlight on your teammate.

james28893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#128 james28893
Member since 2007 • 3252 Posts
1 c4n b3 4n 1d10t t00. Gears got the score it deserved, I doubt it would score lower today.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 02152008

Honestly, I erally enjoyed GeOW, it was FUN both SP, MP, and Co-op. I get the feeling this thread is a PS3 thread of jealous fanboys.Phazevariance

Yes, it very likely is.

TerroRizing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 TerroRizing
[QUOTE="vash47"]

Come on! The cover system in Manhunt was a joke, and I also played Kill.switch, that game was innovative but it was also a mess. So far the game with the most polished cover system is GeoW, kudos to that.

Cranler

Epic also copied off Pitch Black. Nothing innovative gameplay wise, story wise, enemy wise. Compared to HL2, Halo, Riddick, Drakes Fortune etc Gears is half a game.

HL2 breaks up the usual shooting gameplay with the gravity gun or driving a vehicle dodging bombs, rockets and jumping gaps. Epics idea of breaking up the action is the painfully boring 15mph vehicle mission or pointing a spotlight on your teammate.

Compared to Drakes Fortune? I liked Drakes Fortune, but what are you talking about?

TerroRizing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 TerroRizing

1 c4n b3 4n 1d10t t00. Gears got the score it deserved, I doubt it would score lower today.james28893

9.5, since Jeff ruined the review scale.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Cranler
[QUOTE="Cranler"][QUOTE="vash47"]

TerroRizing

Compared to Drakes Fortune? I liked Drakes Fortune, but what are you talking about?

I call Gears half a game in comparison because other top shooters these days do more than one thing.

Drakes Fortune has platforming, puzzles and unlike Gears the vehicle missions are fun. I also found Drakes combat superior to Gears. Shooting alone is more fun plus Drakes has hand to hand combat instead simple pistol whipping.

fixer293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#133 fixer293
Member since 2003 • 4770 Posts
It got the score ,because it was a gret game.
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 ogvampire
[QUOTE="TerroRizing"][QUOTE="Cranler"][QUOTE="vash47"]

Cranler

I call Gears half a game in comparison because other top shooters these days do more than one thing.

Drakes Fortune has platforming, puzzles and unlike Gears the vehicle missions are fun. I also found Drakes combat superior to Gears. Shooting alone is more fun plus Drakes has hand to hand combat instead simple pistol whipping.

if you would have replaced "drakes fortune" with "tomb raider" i would have thought you were talking about the same game.

Avatar image for Bluestorm-Kalas
Bluestorm-Kalas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Bluestorm-Kalas
Member since 2006 • 13073 Posts
Ya but you could do this with every console generation, look at the differences from Final Fantasy VII to Final Fantasy XII or Super Smash Bros. to Super Smash Bros. Meelee.
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 ogvampire

Ya but you could do this with every console generation, look at the differences from Final Fantasy VII to Final Fantasy XII or Super Smash Bros. to Super Smash Bros. Meelee.Bluestorm-Kalas

/thread

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Cranler

if you would have replaced "drakes fortune" with "tomb raider" i would have thought you were talking about the same game.

ogvampire

Never said Drakes was original but you can tell a lot more work went into it than Gears. So much more to Drakes than Gears.

All Epic did was copy one gameplay mechanic of Manhunt and made a whole game out of it.

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 ogvampire
[QUOTE="ogvampire"]

Cranler

Never said Drakes was original but you can tell a lot more work went into it than Gears. So much more to Drakes than Gears.

All Epic did was copy one gameplay mechanic of Manhunt and made a whole game out of it.

you can say the same about Drakes Fortune. all they did was copy tomb raider, make the character a guy and polish the graphics. the gameplay is virtually the same as tomb raider.

so then why are you being so critical of Gears when the game youre comparing it to suffers from the same issues?

nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 nintendo-4life
Member since 2004 • 18281 Posts
enjoy your graphics :)
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Cranler
[QUOTE="Cranler"][QUOTE="ogvampire"]

ogvampire

you can say the same about Drakes Fortune. all they did was copy tomb raider, make the character a guy and polish the graphics. the gameplay is virtually the same as tomb raider.

so then why are you being so critical of Gears when the game youre comparing it to suffers from the same issues?

Gears copied one gameplay mechanic from Manhunt and thats the entire game. Drakes is like Tombraider and Gears combined. Much deeper game.

GOW pc save game issues, the stripped down UT3 and the comments on pc gaming make me more inclined to voice my opinion.

The link I posted from Manhunt isnt working so heres another http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ve9fqZg3QQ&feature=related

Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#141 Hoffgod
Member since 2006 • 12229 Posts
Gears got a high score because its a great game which also appealed to Jeff Gerstmann's intense chainsaw fetish.
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 ogvampire
[QUOTE="ogvampire"][QUOTE="Cranler"][QUOTE="ogvampire"]

Cranler

Gears copied one gameplay mechanic and thats the entire game. Drakes is like Tombraider and Gears combined. Much deeper game.

no. gears is a third-person shooter WITH some extra gameplay mechanics. ALOT of games are based on current genres and all they do is add a little twist (gameplay mechanic in your words).

gears was trying to be different, drakes was trying to be a dude version of tombraider. drakes doesnt do what tomb raider did any better, but gears actually used the cover mechanic successfuly unlike previous shooters

i also got most of my playing time from gears playing online. what did you do when you finished uncharted?

EDIT: anyway, this conversion is obviously going in circles. just look at the reviews for Gears and compare them to the reviews for Uncharted. You will see that almost all of the reviewers gave Gears a higher score.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Cranler
[QUOTE="Cranler"][QUOTE="ogvampire"][QUOTE="Cranler"][QUOTE="ogvampire"]

ogvampire

Gears copied one gameplay mechanic and thats the entire game. Drakes is like Tombraider and Gears combined. Much deeper game.

no. gears is a third-person shooter WITH some extra gameplay mechanics. ALOT of games are based on current genres and all they do is add a little twist (gameplay mechanic in your words).

gears was trying to be different, drakes was trying to be a dude version of tombraider. drakes doesnt do what tomb raider did any better, but gears actually used the cover mechanic successfuly unlike previous shooters

i also got most of my playing time from gears playing online. what did you do when you finished uncharted?

Manhunt did the cover system fine. So did Graw.

I'm surpirsed they didnt add online to Uncharted. Uncharted with mp would have been worthy of a 9.6.

I have both systems and I've actually played a lot of Gears mp. Still cant say it deserves the high praise and scores it gets.

flowdee79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#144 flowdee79
Member since 2007 • 4483 Posts
Maybe its because I didnt play many great games before this gen but my first impressions were that it was phenomenal
kevbo77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 kevbo77
Member since 2003 • 656 Posts

Gears got a high score because the reviewer really liked it. plus pretty much EVERY other reviewer gave it a high score too

so im not sure what point youre trying to make

ogvampire

Bingo, and what does he win folks? On metacritic out of 88 reviews, 79 of them are AAA. So i guess they are all morons? Or could it be that this game did, and still does rock? All I see on this thread is a bunch of bitter PS3 fanboys. Just go buy the game on the PC and quit crying.

CPM_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 CPM_basic
Member since 2002 • 4247 Posts
Because it is a fun and original 3rd person shooter that is highly polished. Great atmosphere, multiplayer and original gameplay mechanics. Deserves the high score.
nintendoman562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 nintendoman562
Member since 2007 • 5593 Posts
its the most overrated game this generation IMO.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 02152008

its the most overrated game this generation IMO. nintendoman562

Why do you think that?

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 Cranler

original gameplay mechanics. Deserves the high score.CPM_basic

Epic was the first to do dragging objects afaik. It was done in Unreal. I guess you could consider that original.

Sliding to cover is somewhat original but DMC was the first game with sliding afaik.

Everything else was already done by other devs.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

Because it is a fun and original 3rd person shooter that is highly polished. Great atmosphere, multiplayer and original gameplay mechanics. Deserves the high score.CPM_basic

Dont use the word orginal because this game is so very far from being orginal. Also the MP is bland and after a while its boring as hell.