GameTrailers Top 10 Fighting Game Franchises.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tsug_Ze_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#151 Tsug_Ze_Wind
Member since 2006 • 9511 Posts

The list is half good half bad.

The good:

• No mention of super smash bros.

HAZE-Unit

Keeps with your delusions, mirite? ;)

tekken220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 tekken220
Member since 2008 • 5105 Posts

why is tekken only ranked 8? is it because 9.9/10 isn't enough for gt?

(btw, tekken 3 got that score)

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#153 HAZE-Unit
Member since 2007 • 10564 Posts
[QUOTE="Tsug_Ze_Wind"]

[QUOTE="HAZE-Unit"]

The good:

Im not the one who invented rules to make super smash a fighter :lol:
ice_bey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 ice_bey
Member since 2004 • 382 Posts

Link

10. Killer Instinct
09. Mortal Kombat
08. Tekken
07. King of Fighters
06. Soul Calibur
05. Capcom Vs.
04. Guilty Gear
03. Samurai Shodown
02. Virtua Fighter
01. Street Fighter

Interesting list. Thank god that Tekken is at 8, I would of cried if they put it in the top 3. And yay for no Smash Bros.! :D

Aljosa23

Stupid list.. Who they think they are?? Tekken should #1

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts

[QUOTE="Tsug_Ze_Wind"]

[QUOTE="HAZE-Unit"]

The good:

HAZE-Unit

Its good to take of the fanboy goggles once in a while and acknowledge the games that are superior to others. SSB>>>>>>>>Tekken by a long shot, anyone who knows their fighting games would agree with this, and VF is probably the best 3d fighter there is, just because its not a button masher doesnt make it crap.

Tsug_Ze_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 Tsug_Ze_Wind

[QUOTE="Tsug_Ze_Wind"]

[QUOTE="HAZE-Unit"]

The good:

HAZE-Unit

Not sure what you mean by that.Don't all competitive fighters have extra rules decided by the community, whether it's the banning of characters/tactics/stages or simply agreeing on a certain format for tournaments? Maybe Smash is just more civilized that way. ;) Or perhaps, there's more choices to consider.

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 HAZE-Unit

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

Link

10. Killer Instinct
09. Mortal Kombat
08. Tekken
07. King of Fighters
06. Soul Calibur
05. Capcom Vs.
04. Guilty Gear
03. Samurai Shodown
02. Virtua Fighter
01. Street Fighter

Interesting list. Thank god that Tekken is at 8, I would of cried if they put it in the top 3. And yay for no Smash Bros.! :D

ice_bey

Stupid list.. Who they think they are?? Tekken should #1

I agree Tekken or Guilty Gear deserved the crown but we can't do anything about it.

Tekkenloving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 Tekkenloving
Member since 2008 • 1546 Posts
no no no just nooooo, ki and sc are broken tekken is not( well 4 was kind of broken) tekken should be at the top 5 at least.
unknown37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#159 unknown37
Member since 2006 • 5135 Posts
decent list i guess but samsho's at 3?
HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 HAZE-Unit

[QUOTE="HAZE-Unit"][QUOTE="Tsug_Ze_Wind"]

mexicangordo

Its good to take of the fanboy goggles once in a while and acknowledge the games that are superior to others. SSB>>>>>>>>Tekken by a long shot, anyone who knows their fighting games would agree with this, and VF is probably the best 3d fighter there is, just because its not a button masher doesnt make it crap.

It's not about wither am a fanboy or not, it doesn't take a scientist to know if SSB is a fighter or not, one advice just have fun playing your SSB, what so wrong about that? breaking the limit would cause alot of trouble and wouldn't get SSB fans anywhere, accept SSB as it is.

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 HAZE-Unit
[QUOTE="Tsug_Ze_Wind"]

Not sure what you mean by that.Don't all competitive fighters have extra rules decided by the community, whether it's the banning of characters/tactics/stages or simply agreeing on a certain format for tournaments? Maybe Smash is just more civilized that way. ;) Or perhaps, there's more choices to consider.

Every competitive multiplayer game has some rules from FPS to racing games, doesn't make them fighters.
wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#162 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
Well I think Smash Bros. should be ahead of Killer Instinct. Overall a solid list though.
mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

[QUOTE="HAZE-Unit"] Im not the one who invented rules to make super smash a fighter :lol:HAZE-Unit

It's not about wither am a fanboy or not, it doesn't take a scientist to know if SSB is a fighter or not, one advice just have fun playing your SSB, what so wrong about that? breaking the limit would cause alot of trouble and wouldn't get SSB fans anywhere, accept SSB as it is.

Huh? I honestly don't understand what your saying....:|

Tsug_Ze_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 Tsug_Ze_Wind

Every competitive multiplayer game has some rules from FPS to racing games, doesn't make them fighters.HAZE-Unit

No, the fact that you have two characters fighting each other in close combat does.

Xuix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 Xuix
Member since 2003 • 233 Posts

I am sorry but, super smash brothers has nowhere near the depth of any of those fighters(the exception being mortal kombat) on that list.

Samurai Showdown ranks that high because well, if any of you had actually played the game, or knew the impact it had on the history of fighting games, you wouldn't have made such moronic statements.

It's generally accepted(by professional tournament players nonethless, by the creator nonethless) that if anything, super smash brothers, is in a way a hybrid fighting game that falls under the same catagory as games like powerstone. Generally reviewers judge it as a entirely seperate entity and compare it with what the system has to offer. It's funny how much failed logic there is on these forums.

But really, this a game publication...that made a list...which NONE of you wrote. So please, would you kindly? Write a better list that gets published mmmkay?

No you can't? Thought so.

Tekkenloving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 Tekkenloving
Member since 2008 • 1546 Posts
o.k I am getting annoyed how is virtua fighter which I am a fan of btw better then tekken on a technical level, both fighters play the same on the core level you memorise a long list of moves and then build strategy around those moves both fighters have very good balance no one character/move is overpowered etc' the main differences I see are 1) tekken as more levels of game play options,2) the moves in tekken are harder to pull off and more precise.
TheBigBadGRIM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 TheBigBadGRIM
Member since 2005 • 1159 Posts
1. Capcom vs. SNK 2. Marvel vs. Capcom 3. WWF Smackdown (wrestling counts right?) 4. Killer Instinct 5. Killer Instinct 6. Killer Instinct 7. Killer Instinct 8. Killer Instinct 9. Killer Instinct 10. Street Fighter
Rza_rectah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Rza_rectah
Member since 2005 • 3959 Posts

call me a noob but whats Samurai Shodown?

Tsug_Ze_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 Tsug_Ze_Wind

I am sorry but, super smash brothers has nowhere near the depth of any of those fighters(the exception being mortal kombat) on that list.

Samurai Showdown ranks that high because well, if any of you had actually played the game, or knew the impact it had on the history of fighting games, you wouldn't have made such moronic statements.

It's generally accepted(by professional tournament players nonethless, by the creator nonethless) that if anything, super smash brothers, is in a way a hybrid fighting game that falls under the same catagory as games like powerstone. Generally reviewers judge it as a entirely seperate entity and compare it with what the system has to offer. It's funny how much failed logic there is on these forums.

But really, this a game publication...that made a list...which NONE of you wrote. So please, would you kindly? Write a better list that gets published mmmkay?

Xuix

Since comparisons to Power Stone are being thrown out now, I'll say this: Power Stone is a fighter too. It's just not a competitive fighter because the depth isn't there,unlike withSmash.

If there was more to Power Stone than basic combo, jump attack, and items, than it would benefit from its freer movement and surpass more restricted fighters in depth. Like Smash.

TheGrat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 TheGrat1
Member since 2008 • 4330 Posts

mexicangordo

Now I love Melee, but it is not better than Tekken: Dark Ressurection. Hell, I can't even say DR is better than Smash because they simply ar'nt comprable.

Tekken is a superb, 1 on 1, technical 3D fighter.

Smash is a super fun party brawler.

Let them be in their own genres people.

Edit: And no way in hell is Tekken a button masher.

ezikiell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 ezikiell
Member since 2009 • 97 Posts

And if you listen to the beginning of the atrocious list, they are only listing 1 on 1 fighting games.TheGrat1
It is interesting that GameTrailers is listing "1 on 1fighting games" while games on the list, such as "Capcom VS." allow players to use backup characters to fight with the main fighters, albeit briefly.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b
deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#172 deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b
Member since 2005 • 4624 Posts

Rza_rectah

SNK fighting game. Was good for its time back in the mid-to-late 90's, but they really haven't done anything to it, although I believe they are coming out with a 3D version in Japan.

TheGrat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 TheGrat1

[QUOTE="TheGrat1"] And if you listen to the beginning of the atrocious list, they are only listing 1 on 1 fighting games.ezikiell

It is interesting that GameTrailers is listing "1 on 1fighting games" while games on the list, such as "Capcom VS." allow players to use backup characters to fight with the main fighters, albeit briefly.

Yeah I noticed that too. But then I realised they would need to bend the rules slightly so that they could list things like Soul Calibur IV (bleh). But this is Gametrailers. Consistency and integrity have never been their most notable qualities.
omarguy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 omarguy01
Member since 2004 • 8139 Posts

solid list. i would have added smash somewhere in there though.

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

Xuix

Oh look another list with SSB at the #3 spot!

http://www.screwattack.com/Top10/FightingGames

Tsug_Ze_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 Tsug_Ze_Wind

Now I love Melee, but it is not better than Tekken: Dark Ressurection. Hell, I can't even say DR is better than Smash because they simply ar'nt comprable.

Tekken is a superb, 1 on 1, technical 3D fighter.

Smash is a super fun party brawler.

TheGrat1

It can be. Or it can be a superb, 1 on 1, technical 2D fighter.

Link or it didn't happen.(lol pun)

juno84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 juno84
Member since 2004 • 1019 Posts

Tsug_Ze_Wind

Short Answer: No.

Longer Answer: No, except Akuma (Gouki) in ST. He was not accessible by normal means and is stupidly broken. One of the big differences between communities like srk/dustloop/etc. and the smash community is that srk/dustloop/etc. do not need to make arbitrary rules for their game(s). Games are played as is. Tourny formats are arranged entirely outside of the game menus in most fighters (ie, it's not like Smash). You can run a teams tourny for other fighters, but that just changes how you handle brackets, not changing anything in game. This discrepancy is part of the reason you won't see Smash at Evo this year.

Go over to shoryuken.com forums and ask them what they think of character and tactic banning.

Rza_rectah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 Rza_rectah
[QUOTE="bez2083"]

[QUOTE="Rza_rectah"]

SNK fighting game. Was good for its time back in the mid-to-late 90's, but they really haven't done anything to it, although I believe they are coming out with a 3D version in Japan.

OMG this game is mad tight imma see if i can find a copy of it i can see after that vid why its 3rd.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
Without Street Fighter 2, there'd be none of the other titles.
TheGrat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 TheGrat1
Without Street Fighter 2, there'd be none of the other titles.ASK_Story
I find that hard to believe.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 ASK_Story
[QUOTE="ASK_Story"]Without Street Fighter 2, there'd be none of the other titles.TheGrat1

Um...you do know that Street Fighter 2 started the whole fighting game craze, right?
Rza_rectah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 Rza_rectah
[QUOTE="TheGrat1"][QUOTE="ASK_Story"]Without Street Fighter 2, there'd be none of the other titles.ASK_Story

Um...you do know that Street Fighter 2 started the whole fighting game craze, right?

along with the mortal kombat series dont count those games out.
Tsug_Ze_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 Tsug_Ze_Wind

[QUOTE="Tsug_Ze_Wind"]

juno84

Short Answer: No.

Longer Answer: No, except Akuma (Gouki) in ST. He was not accessible by normal means and is stupidly broken. One of the big differences between communities like srk/dustloop/etc. and the smash community is that srk/dustloop/etc. do not need to make arbitrary rules for their game(s). Games are played as is. Tourny formats are arranged entirely outside of the game menus in most fighters (ie, it's not like Smash). You can run a teams tourny for other fighters, but that just changes how you handle brackets, not changing anything in game. This discrepancy is part of the reason you won't see Smash at Evo this year.

Go over to shoryuken.com forums and ask them what they think of character and tactic banning.

Smash isn't at Evo this year?

I guess that's not that surprising, but if that's true, it's because Evo completely failed atunderstanding how to run aSmash tourneylast year.I was hoping they would learn from their mistakes and try again, but I guess not. :?

The point still stands that all fighter communitieswilladd rules if it's for the good of the game, such as the Akuma example.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 ASK_Story
[QUOTE="ASK_Story"][QUOTE="TheGrat1"] I find that hard to believe.Rza_rectah

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_Fighter_II "Street Fighter II is credited for starting the fighting game boom during the 1990s." There'd be no Mortal Kombat without Street Fighter II's success. SFII came out in 1991. MK came out in 1992. Ask any fighting expert. They'll say SFII started it all.
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#185 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts
The lack of Super Smash Bros. automatically made that list a failure in my eyes.IronBass
Yes, but SSB plays entirely different from those games. It's like saying a top ten FPS list fails for not having Metroid Prime, or that a Top Ten RPG game list fails for not having Puzzle Quest.
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 Tylendal

Xuix

I agree with the second and third parts of your statement, SSB is definitely different, but I strongly disagree with your first statement. SSB has plenty of depth. Just because it has a shallow movepool doesn't mean it doesn't have any depth. If done well (which it is), it simply means that it's not needlessly complex.

Rza_rectah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 Rza_rectah
[QUOTE="Rza_rectah"][QUOTE="ASK_Story"] Um...you do know that Street Fighter 2 started the whole fighting game craze, right? ASK_Story

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_Fighter_II "Street Fighter II is credited for starting the fighting game boom during the 1990s." There'd be no Mortal Kombat without Street Fighter II's success. SFII came out in 1991. MK came out in 1992. Ask any fighting expert. They'll say SFII started it all.

not really mortal was revolutionary in its own right and both games where started around the same time. And wikpedia = atuomatic fail.
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 Tylendal

[QUOTE="Tsug_Ze_Wind"]

Fans of other fighting games are scared of Smash. They cheer whenever it doesn't get its deserved recognition as the best fighting game series of all time. :lol:

Face it you Tekken purists, you Soul Calibur fanboys and you Street Fighter elitists. Smash has more depth and content than every game in your precious series. :twisted:

*no flame shield needed*

juno84

A game with out even high/low blocking probably does not have as much depth as you think.

Umm, have you ever heard of shield stabbing? A well placed move can get through a shield, unless of course you tilt your shield to cover one direction more.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 ASK_Story

[QUOTE="ASK_Story"][QUOTE="Rza_rectah"] along with the mortal kombat series dont count those games out.Rza_rectah

not really mortal was revolutionary in its own right and both games where started around the same time. And wikpedia = atuomatic fail.

Ask any fighting game expert and tournament players...MK revolutionized nothing. It was just the gore and violence that made it popular. But as for fighting mechanics or the way we play fighting games now, it was shallow, sloppy, and not that great. SFII still holds up well even today.

Rza_rectah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 Rza_rectah

[QUOTE="Rza_rectah"][QUOTE="ASK_Story"] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_Fighter_II "Street Fighter II is credited for starting the fighting game boom during the 1990s." There'd be no Mortal Kombat without Street Fighter II's success. SFII came out in 1991. MK came out in 1992. Ask any fighting expert. They'll say SFII started it all.ASK_Story

Ask any fighting game expert and tournament players...MK revolutionized nothing. It was just the gore and violence that made it popular. But as for fighting mechanics or the way we play fighting games now, it was shallow, sloppy, and not that great. SFII still holds up well even today.

i dunno i guess i just appreciate both i grew up with mortal but as i got older i liked the sf series more. I still play sf2hd turbo mk 2, mk 3 on a regular basis.
dthach614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#191 dthach614
Member since 2008 • 804 Posts
[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

I fail to see what's so good about Super Smash Bros...

The only good one was Melee.

f50p90
Just because you fail at somehting doesn't mean its not good... I dont like it but it should probably be up there. I mean KI is a top ten franchise? Mostly because of one game?

no hes right. the original was mediocre, melee was perfection, and brawl was a noobified casualize version of melee.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#192 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

I guess that's not that surprising, but if that's true, it's because Evo completely failed atunderstanding how to run aSmash tourneylast year.I was hoping they would learn from their mistakes and try again, but I guess not. :?

The point still stands that all fighter communitieswilladd rules if it's for the good of the game, such as the Akuma example.

Tsug_Ze_Wind

Dude. :|

Smash Bros. is NOT a fighter. There is no way to spin this. You NEED to change the core gameplay for it to be a casual fighter, and a horrible one at that.

Melee MIGHT be considered a fighter, but Brawl was stupid casual trash that they messed up.

2-10-08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#193 2-10-08
Member since 2008 • 2775 Posts

Fail for not having smash bros.

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 ogvampire
Member since 2008 • 9161 Posts

[QUOTE="Tsug_Ze_Wind"]

Aljosa23

Dude. :|

Smash Bros. is NOT a fighter. There is no way to spin this. You NEED to change the core gameplay for it to be a casual fighter, and a horrible one at that.

Melee MIGHT be considered a fighter, but Brawl was stupid casual trash that they messed up.

um... smash bros. IS a fighter, just not a traditional one... learn the difference

look at every listing you see for smash, it always say 'fighter' or 'fighting' genre

the fact that it was in EVO should already prove this.... only the diluted and misinformed think otherwise

Nerkcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 Nerkcon
Member since 2006 • 4707 Posts

No SSB? Score!

No DOA? Awww that's not cool.

-Snooze-
I know, DOA is more deserving than Mortal Kombat. :|
wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts
I'm glad to see VF at number 2. VF2 is a great fighting game and probably my favorite ever. My list includes: Mortal Kombat, Tekken, Soul Calibur, Street Fighter, Virtua Fighter
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

I fail to see what's so good about Super Smash Bros...

The only good one was Melee.

brawl was also pretty good too. Not as good as melee but still awesome.
Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

Tekken deserves to be higher imo.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
i cant beleive no1 has mentioned bloody roar series yet.. shame on u all.. SHAME SHAME SHAME!
SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

Not an awful list, I place VF above SF personally but SF is still better than every other fighter.