GameTrailers Top 10 Fighting Game Franchises.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#101 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts

[QUOTE="110million"][QUOTE="RawDeal_basic"]That list is almost perfect. Just replace Guilty Gear with Smash Bros.RawDeal_basic

:lol: Guilty Gear is 100 billion years ahead of smash bros, and better then the majority of the list.

Yeah, I know. The reviews speak for themselves...oh wait...

Oh is that what this is about? :roll: I didn't mean numbers on websites, I was talking about the actual GAMEPLAY.
RawDeal_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 RawDeal_basic
Member since 2002 • 1959 Posts
[QUOTE="RawDeal_basic"]

[QUOTE="110million"] :lol: Guilty Gear is 100 billion years ahead of smash bros, and better then the majority of the list. 110million

Oh is that what this is about? :roll: I didn't mean numbers on websites, I was talking about the actual GAMEPLAY.

Yeah, gameplay. Which like, you know, kind of factors into a review.
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 110million

[QUOTE="110million"][QUOTE="RawDeal_basic"]

RawDeal_basic

Yeah, gameplay. Which like, you know, kind of factors into a review.

Reviewers aren't going to spend weeks getting really good at a fighting game before reviewing it, the appeal of Smash Bros is its simplicity to get in to, and wide range of characters (90% of which are incredibly useless in any competitive match), lets see how well Smash Bros would score without items, only a handful of characters, and 2 or 3 stages, since thats all that "competetive" people play, to make Smash Bros close to the level of a regular fighter.

CaptainHarley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#104 CaptainHarley
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

That list is almost perfect. Just replace Guilty Gear with Smash Bros.RawDeal_basic

lolz. i would personally put guilty gear at #3. say what you will about street fighter but for a whileGG was single handedly serving as life support for 2d fighting for a while, while 3d fighting remained as painfully mediocre as always. i cant deny 3d fighting has blossomed into its own genre with its own intricacies though; i just dont care for it.

smash brothers, conversely,is about on par with mario party imo.

-Snooze-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 -Snooze-
Member since 2009 • 7304 Posts

No SSB? Score!

No DOA? Awww that's not cool.

D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 232

#106 D3dr0_0
Member since 2008 • 3530 Posts

King of Fighters should rank higher.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#107 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts
Yes, here he is, the forum's greatest Super Smash Bros. super fan. Prepare yourself. Actually, what do I even have to say? I haven't gone through a single week since March 9, 2008 without playing Brawl once. I've played the game to death and I love it. And I have to tell you, Smash Bros. is a respectable fighting franchise that deserves to be on that list. Guess which game had the largest tournament scene last-gen, behind Halo 2? Super Smash Bros. Melee. Best-selling GameCube game? Melee. Best-selling fighter of 2008? Brawl. The popularity of SSB cannot be denied and it IS a fighting game that I feel can be compared to Soul Calibur and Street Fighter. If you can't grasp the depth of the game, it's your loss. You clearly aren't showing your moves.
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 princeofshapeir
[QUOTE="RawDeal_basic"]

[QUOTE="110million"] :lol: Guilty Gear is 100 billion years ahead of smash bros, and better then the majority of the list. 110million

I'm being honest here, but Guilty Gear is much more hardcore than Brawl. Although SSB still deserves a spot on that list.
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 princeofshapeir

[QUOTE="IronBass"] Anyone can button smash in a lot of so'considered fighting games :|Aljosa23

Yes but in those games a seasoned vet can easily beat a button-masher.

In Brawl and to some extent, Melee, it all depends on the items and how lucky you get. It's shame how the Mario Kart franchise was casualized aswell.

Not true at all. I hope you're aware of this little feature called "item select". It uses magic to turn of all the items! *GASP!* No items, Final Destination, GameCube controllers only. There's your hardcore, not-dumbed-down-for-casuals fighting game.
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 110million

[QUOTE="110million"][QUOTE="RawDeal_basic"]

princeofshapeir

I'm being honest here, but Guilty Gear is much more hardcore than Brawl. Although SSB still deserves a spot on that list.

I fully agree, Smash Bros belongs on the list long before Mortal Kombat ever would.

princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 princeofshapeir

[QUOTE="poster"]

It's no coincidence that the "competitive" SSBM community played items off and only on final destination.

Stabby2486

only on final destination.

poster

Wtf, I'm tired of casuals spouting BS like this. Go to a smash tournament before saying something stupid like this, or atleast watch some competitive matches (except Japanese ones, the onlystages they use is FD and Dreamland, even in friendlies).

This is true. I agree that the Smash games were designed as party games for casuals, but the developers have also intended for it to appeal to the hardcore crowd. Ken is considered the best Melee player ever, and if you've seen his videos with Link or Fox he's crazy. My friend actually took a video of my hands moving on the GameCube controller while playing Melee, and it's obvious that there is concentration on making combos, NOT mindless button-mashing.
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 princeofshapeir

[QUOTE="IronBass"][QUOTE="DumbDubya"] It's so juvenile and not a real fighting game. juno84

:o It's an imaginary one? :o

Well, I think a lot of people don't consider Smash series a fighting game. It has nothing to do with the how good the game is, it has to do with if the game fits into the fighting genre. A lot fighting game players will tell you it doesn't and a lot of smash players will say it is. I really don't know.

They are simply stubborn and are unwilling to let a supposedly kid-friendly casual game be considered a legitimate fighter. I play Guilty Gear (Slayer woo woo) and Soul Calibur. I also play Smash Bros. And I, along with the rest of the Smash community, think SSB is a competitive fighting game that can be ranked among the kings of the genre.
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 110million
[QUOTE="juno84"]

[QUOTE="IronBass"] :o It's an imaginary one? :oprinceofshapeir

Well, I think a lot of people don't consider Smash series a fighting game. It has nothing to do with the how good the game is, it has to do with if the game fits into the fighting genre. A lot fighting game players will tell you it doesn't and a lot of smash players will say it is. I really don't know.

They are simply stubborn and are unwilling to let a supposedly kid-friendly casual game be considered a legitimate fighter. I play Guilty Gear (Slayer woo woo)

Slayer is totally the best GG character. :D
Avatar image for deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b
deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#114 deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b
Member since 2005 • 4624 Posts

No Shaq-Fu?!

List fails.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

No King of Fighters, Dead or Alive, or Smash Bros.? :(

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 110million

No King of Fighters, Dead or Alive, or Smash Bros.? :(

Gxgear
King of Fighters is there. :P
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
wtf at samurai showdown... bloody roar should have taken that spot!
-Snooze-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 -Snooze-
Member since 2009 • 7304 Posts
[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

[QUOTE="IronBass"] Anyone can button smash in a lot of so'considered fighting games :|princeofshapeir

Yes but in those games a seasoned vet can easily beat a button-masher.

In Brawl and to some extent, Melee, it all depends on the items and how lucky you get. It's shame how the Mario Kart franchise was casualized aswell.

Not true at all. I hope you're aware of this little feature called "item select". It uses magic to turn of all the items! *GASP!* No items, Final Destination, GameCube controllers only. There's your hardcore, not-dumbed-down-for-casuals fighting game.

One level? Wow, quite the game right there. Didnt the dev even say it's NOT a fighter. It's some mad party game for children. DOA deserves to be on that list, before SSBB
mdisen2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#119 mdisen2
Member since 2005 • 1133 Posts

Smash Brothers is too much fun to be considered a fighting game.

juno84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 juno84
Member since 2004 • 1019 Posts

mdisen2

I kind of agree with that (fighting games not being very fun). Fun isn't the primary reason I enjoy fighting games, competition is.

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 insanejedi
Member since 2007 • 1738 Posts
If you think Smash Brothers should be on this list, then Power Stone should be on this list. Think about that. And anyone dissing Killer Instinct should get hit by a 80 hit combo.
navstar29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#124 navstar29
Member since 2004 • 4036 Posts
Personally Tekken=SF >>> Soul Calibur ... haven't played the other ones, although MK was played a long long time ago.
killa4lyfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#125 killa4lyfe
Member since 2008 • 3849 Posts
Personally Tekken=SF >>> Soul Calibur ... haven't played the other ones, although MK was played a long long time ago. navstar29
finally some one who acctually agrees wit mee :D HI 5 bro
rolfboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 rolfboy
Member since 2006 • 1137 Posts
Melee and Brawl belong on that list WAAAAAAAY before the likes of Mortal Kombat. If nothing else, the basic nature and freedom of movement in Smash Bros. makes it competetive enough to me put on this list before Mortal Kombat (which regardless of Smash's competetiveness or not, should not be on that ist anyway).
FragTycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 FragTycoon
Member since 2008 • 6430 Posts

[QUOTE="navstar29"]Personally Tekken=SF >>> Soul Calibur ... haven't played the other ones, although MK was played a long long time ago. killa4lyfe
finally some one who acctually agrees wit mee :D HI 5 bro

I also go back and forth between Tekken and SF in it's many forms.

I also.. for some reason, got really good at Bloody Roar (the older ones)

juno84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 juno84

[QUOTE="juno84"]

[QUOTE="mdisen2"]

-RTS-

I kind of agree with that (fighting games not being very fun). Fun isn't the primary reason I enjoy fighting games, competition is.

lolwut

A competitive game is competitive first and fun as secondary. If you were to go play CS 1.6 for the first time and join some random pub (can't even imagine a scrim or actual match), you'd get annihilated. Losing generally is not fun, and some games, fighters included, can be ruthless. Unless you are a competitive person, getting over the hump where you can even participate at a satisfactory level can be quite an endeavour.

Tsug_Ze_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Tsug_Ze_Wind
Member since 2006 • 9511 Posts

Fans of other fighting games are scared of Smash. They cheer whenever it doesn't get its deserved recognition as the best fighting game series of all time. :lol:

Face it you Tekken purists, you Soul Calibur fanboys and you Street Fighter elitists. Smash has more depth and content than every game in your precious series. :twisted:

*no flame shield needed*

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#130 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts

Fans of other fighting games are scared of Smash. They cheer whenever it doesn't get its deserved recognition as the best fighting game series of all time. :lol:

Face it you Tekken purists, you Soul Calibur fanboys and you Street Fighter elitists. Smash has more depth and content than every game in your precious series. :twisted:

*no flame shield needed*

Tsug_Ze_Wind
What are there no KoF fans of any kind?!
Tsug_Ze_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Tsug_Ze_Wind

[QUOTE="Tsug_Ze_Wind"]

*no flame shield needed*

siLVURcross

What are there no KoF fans of any kind?!

They're quieter. :P

juno84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 juno84

*no flame shield needed*

Tsug_Ze_Wind

A game with out even high/low blocking probably does not have as much depth as you think.

TheGrat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 TheGrat1
Member since 2008 • 4330 Posts
Tekken at #8 is absolutely criminal. The most popular 3D fighter on the planet and they put it at #8. Unfathomable. They claim to be judging franchises, yet they say Samurai Showdown (a game I have rarely heard) only had 1 good game but they still give it #3! Ridiculous. The Top 3 franchises are Tekken, Virtua Fighter, and Street Fighter. Period.
Tsug_Ze_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Tsug_Ze_Wind

[QUOTE="Tsug_Ze_Wind"]

*no flame shield needed*

juno84

A game with out even high/low blocking probably does not have as much depth as you think.

Why? All that amounts to is another guessing game, and one that's usually heavily biased in favor of the attacker. Brawl's defensive options are simpler, but more balanced and far preferable to most other fighting games IMO.

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts

[QUOTE="Tsug_Ze_Wind"]

*no flame shield needed*

juno84

SBB has more depth than almost any fighter out their, SF and VF are the only ones that have that level of depth. But having depth doesn't mean the game is better or worse.

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 mexicangordo

Tekken at #8 is absolutely criminal. The most popular 3D fighter on the planet and they put it at #8. Unfathomable. They claim to be judging franchises, yet they say Samurai Showdown (a game I have rarely heard) only had 1 good game but they still give it #3! Ridiculous. The Top 3 franchises are Tekken, Virtua Fighter, and Street Fighter. Period.TheGrat1
Read up on your fighters to understand their list. Samurai Showdown is a legendary old school fighting series much like Killer Instinct.

juno84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 juno84

Tekken at #8 is absolutely criminal. The most popular 3D fighter on the planet and they put it at #8. Unfathomable. They claim to be judging franchises, yet they say Samurai Showdown (a game I have rarely heard) only had 1 good game but they still give it #3! Ridiculous. The Top 3 franchises are Tekken, Virtua Fighter, and Street Fighter. Period.TheGrat1

Depends on your region. I'd say Capcom is the biggest in the US. KoF was pretty big in some regions. Tekken is number one in Japan w/ Blazblue at a close second. I'm not sure about Samurai Shodown. It's been a while since I've played it.

juno84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 juno84

[QUOTE="juno84"]

[QUOTE="Tsug_Ze_Wind"]

*no flame shield needed*

mexicangordo

SBB has more depth than almost any fighter out their, SF and VF are the only ones that have that level of depth. But having depth doesn't mean the game is better or worse.

100% agree. I disagree with your first statement. There are tons of fighters with more complex system mechanics than just VF and SF. Guilty Gear has some of the most complex mechanics out there.

TheGrat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 TheGrat1

[QUOTE="TheGrat1"]Tekken at #8 is absolutely criminal. The most popular 3D fighter on the planet and they put it at #8. Unfathomable. They claim to be judging franchises, yet they say Samurai Showdown (a game I have rarely heard) only had 1 good game but they still give it #3! Ridiculous. The Top 3 franchises are Tekken, Virtua Fighter, and Street Fighter. Period.juno84

Depends on your region. I'd say Capcom is the biggest in the US. KoF was pretty big in some regions. Tekken is number one in Japan w/ Blazblue at a close second. I'm not sure about Samurai Shodown. It's been a while since I've played it.

I said most popular 3D fighter, which Tekken is.
altersystem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 altersystem
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

samurai showndown and guilty gear should be in the top 5

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 mexicangordo

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

[QUOTE="juno84"]

juno84

100% agree. I disagree with your first statement. There are tons of fighters with more complex system mechanics than just VF and SF. Guilty Gear has some of the most complex mechanics out there.

Well Im glad we can agree on something, but system mechanics =/ game with depth. If that were the case then Tekken and even DoA would have more depth than SF (which both games are complex in their own ways but do not hold a candle to SF) GG is a mix between Marvle VS games and KoF, its a fast paced combo mashing game. Although there's nothing wrong with that, GG still lacks to much (imo of course) and it sacrifices that indepth play for a more casual/flashy like gameplay. But GG is my third favortie 2d fighting series. :P

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
No Smash but Killer Instict. Meh.
juno84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 juno84

[QUOTE="juno84"]

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"] SBB has more depth than almost any fighter out their, SF and VF are the only ones that have that level of depth. But having depth doesn't mean the game is better or worse.

mexicangordo

Well Im glad we can agree on something, but system mechanics =/ game with depth. If that were the case then Tekken and even DoA would have more depth than SF (which both games are complex in their own ways but do not hold a candle to SF) GG is a mix between Marvle VS games and KoF, its a fast paced combo mashing game. Although there's nothing wrong with that, GG still lacks to much (imo of course) and it sacrifices that indepth play for a more casual/flashy like gameplay. But GG is my third favortie 2d fighting series. :P

You should play it more. I thought the same and pretty much dismissed it as a combo masher. (I used to think SF was the greatest thing ever). Just because you can potentially mash a few jabs together into a crappy low damage combo doesn't mean it's a masher. You simply can not win at Guilty Gear against any decent player with mashing. Max damage combos (which involve FRCs, TKs, etc. more often than not) are very difficult. Learning effective movement with IAD, one frame jumping, FD stopping, and so on takes time. FDing appropriately, IBing, learning to slash back overly predictable moves, bursting, gold bursting, baiting bursts, learning burst-safe combos.... I could write an essay on that crap. Every mechanic serves a purpose in GG and builds on the depth. Hell, even Sirlin commented on the genius of the series.
CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#144 CleanPlayer
Member since 2008 • 9822 Posts
Where's Dead or Alive?....Super Smash Brothers? How can you leave those games out?
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
Smash creator called it a sports game, so its not a fighting game, unless you know better then the creator. :o110million
boxing is not a sport now? any who smash bros is more traditional then 3d fighters seeing as its 2d just like all great fighters
mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 mexicangordo

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

[QUOTE="juno84"]

juno84

You should play it more. I thought the same and pretty much dismissed it as a combo masher. (I used to think SF was the greatest thing ever). Just because you can potentially mash a few jabs together into a crappy low damage combo doesn't mean it's a masher. You simply can not win at Guilty Gear against any decent player with mashing. Max damage combos (which involve FRCs, TKs, etc. more often than not) are very difficult. Learning effective movement with IAD, one frame jumping, FD stopping, and so on takes time. FDing appropriately, IBing, learning to slash back overly predictable moves, bursting, gold bursting, baiting bursts, learning burst-safe combos.... I could write an essay on that crap. Every mechanic serves a purpose in GG and builds on the depth. Hell, even Sirlin commented on the genius of the series.

Its my third favorite, that should tell you that i play it a lot:P (i use to play AA, but my Wii broke and now its back to GGX2) And im very good at the game actually, and very well know that the small jabing combos are nothing compared to resets and such (but the small comboes are still important, none the less.) I never said the game was easy, almost no fighting game is and they all take time. Im just saying it over all, learning the frames and IBing comes from playing higher leveled oppoinents but doing stuff like Wavedashing, sFFling...ect to the point were it becomes instinct takes a really really long time because one doesnt have the freedom a joystick has, they have to use a controller in order to exicute the attacks and moves correctly.

TheGrat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 TheGrat1
[QUOTE="110million"]Smash creator called it a sports game, so its not a fighting game, unless you know better then the creator. :osurrealnumber5
boxing is not a sport now? any who smash bros is more traditional then 3d fighters seeing as its 2d just like all great fighters

Its a stretch to say Smash Bros. is in the exact same genre as SF, KoF, VF, or Tekken. In the latter game, the goal is to reduce your opponents health to zero. In Smash your goal is to knock people off the board the most in a set amount of time, ir until they have no lives left. Smash is more of a beat em' up/brawler than it is a traditional fighting game. That being said its insanely fun and the best Brawler series ever no question. And if you listen to the begining of the atrocious list, they are only listing 1 on 1 fighting games.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"][QUOTE="110million"]Smash creator called it a sports game, so its not a fighting game, unless you know better then the creator. :oTheGrat1

Its a stretch to say Smash Bros. is in the exact same genre as SF, KoF, VF, or Tekken. In the latter game, the goal is to reduce your opponents health to zero. In Smash your goal is to knock people off the board the most in a set amount of time, ir until they have no lives left. Smash is more of a beat em' up/brawler than it is a traditional fighting game. That being said its insanely fun and the best Brawler series ever no question. And if you listen to the begining of the atrocious list, they are only listing 1 on 1 fighting games.

you can play hit points in smash bros it does not take that much time to do, like seconds to set it up
Tsug_Ze_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 Tsug_Ze_Wind

Its a stretch to say Smash Bros. is in the exact same genre as SF, KoF, VF, or Tekken. In the latter game, the goal is to reduce your opponents health to zero. In Smash your goal is to knock people off the board the most in a set amount of time, ir until they have no lives left. Smash is more of a beat em' up/brawler than it is a traditional fighting game. That being said its insanely fun and the best Brawler series ever no question. And if you listen to the begining of the atrocious list, they are only listing 1 on 1 fighting games.TheGrat1

It's just a different health system.

And GT may not have heard, but competitive Smash is 1-on-1. ;)

But it doesn't matter. I think we can all agree this list isn't very good.

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 HAZE-Unit
Member since 2007 • 10564 Posts

The list is half good half bad.

The good:

• Acknowledging Guilty Gear as a great fighter.
  • No mention of Dead Or Alive.
  • No mention of super smash bros.

The bad:

• Tekken #8 WTF? worse than Soul Calibur? are they serious?
  • Virtua Fighter #2, oh yeah thats better than Tekken, in your dreams.
  • Samurai Shodown lol, they joking right? RIGHT?