Gaben directly challenges Microsoft in console market

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

I probably should just update my previous thread, but, well... Anyway, Gaben openly challenged MS in a console battle:

Q: "Microsoft just announced 3 million units of xbox one were sold at launch for the last three months, can you hit that target by the end of the year? Can you do 3 million units?"

A: "Newell: Well, it'd take a while for them to catch up. I mean, we're at 65 million [sold].

(Huge laugh from the crowd)

Part of why we think that this is the right direction to go in is that we can benefit from everything that people have already done. If I buy a game on Steam and am running it on Windows, I can go to one of the Steam Machines and I already have the game. So the benefit as a developer, you benefit as a consumer, having that PC experience extended into the living room."

Link.

Do you agree with Newell? Will Steam Machines crash and burn under the feet of MS and Sony, or do you believe Valve's approach could actually do some serious commotion on the console market?

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

well, project cars will have steamos support. if more games of that kind of caliber support steamos then we might not need windows any more.

i only use windows because i have to for gaming. i prefer a linux environment for desktop.

windows can go to /dev/null

Muffin2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 Muffin2020
Member since 2013 • 534 Posts

I'm still confused about the Steam machine. This is what I think it is so please correct me if I am wrong.

It's pre-built gaming PC that you plug into your TV/Monitor with a odd controller that only comes with the steam OS.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

yeah, gabe is hungry.

and not just for pie this time.

he's hungry for market share.

sony and ms better look the hell out.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 IgGy621985

@muffin2020 said:

I'm still confused about the Steam machine. This is what I think it is so please correct me if I am wrong.

It's pre-built gaming PC that you plug into your TV/Monitor with a odd controller that only comes with the steam OS.

Basically yeah. But, next-gen consoles are also pre-built gaming PCs that you plug into TV/Monitor that come with their own OS. It's a matter of perspective.

Except Steam Machine natively supports kb/m, you can install Windows on it, and probably will support every game you already bought on Steam.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

Steam Boxes will be insignificant to the console market.

PC_Otter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PC_Otter
Member since 2010 • 1623 Posts

@Heil68: Perhaps, but it will likely bring in quite a few new PC gamers as well as garner support from old ones who want to experiment with Linux gaming or are looking for another, perhaps secondary, gaming PC.

trollop_scat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 trollop_scat
Member since 2006 • 2656 Posts

Steambox is the only console that makes sense. All my games are on Steam already, so getting a Steambox for the living room which can access my games library instead of having to buy physical copies *shudders* is the only way to go.

I plan on buying mine through cyberpower, but will wait to see the specs on the Alienware model. Or I may decide to go big and get Digital Storm's Bolt II water cooled dual OS gaming machine. Depends on how much extra cash I have at the time of purchase...

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 IgGy621985

Perhaps the only downside of Steam Machine is the lack of exclusive titles. I like consoles because of exclusives. So if I already have a proper gaming PC, having a Steam Machine is basically unnecessary.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#13 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

The price of Steam Machines will keep it from being mainstream.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@Riverwolf007 said:

yeah, gabe is hungry.

and not just for pie this time.

he's hungry for market share.

sony and ms better look the hell out.

Gage doesn't look hungry. lol!! Looks like he ate enough to hibernate for winter.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

Take a jab at MS for its numbers,when almost all Steam gamers use MS os to run steam.

My god.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

I love Papa Gaben

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18 -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts

Wait did they say that Steam Machines have Windows installed now?

s0ldier69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 s0ldier69
Member since 2005 • 2281 Posts

SO since it's digital only and you cant trade in games, all the fanboys are going to revolt right? I mean they wouldnt stand for MS doing it so they wont let Valve do it either, right? RIGHT!?

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Rage010101

@tormentos said:

Take a jab at MS for its numbers,when almost all Steam gamers use MS os to run steam.

My god.

Open platform = no royalties paid to MS = you made an irrelevant point

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

As usual.

@Rage010101 said:

@tormentos said:

My god.

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

I agree.

Although I think AMD's new Kaveri APUs could help a bit if they're ever implemented.

They're not going to be as strong as the next-gen consoles, but they could bring the cost of entry down significantly.

s0ldier69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 s0ldier69
Member since 2005 • 2281 Posts

Microsoft is currently worth over 230 billion. Valve is at 4-5 billion. Id say you have a ways to go before you catch up Gaybe. So stfu.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 tormentos

@Rage010101 said:

@tormentos said:

My god.

No i did not because taking into notice that those 65 million users are not pirates those are 65 million users who payed for WINDOWS so yeah you are throwing a jab at a company who runs the OS where you programs run on,pretty silly if you ask me.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Rage010101

@tormentos said:

@Rage010101 said:

@tormentos said:

My god.

No i did not because taking into notice that those 65 million users are not pirates those are 65 million users who payed for WINDOWS so yeah you are throwing a jab at a company who runs the OS where you programs run on,pretty silly if you ask me.

And somehow, "open platform" completely went unnoticed by you. Typical idiocy from el tormo.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By tormentos

@Rage010101 said:

And somehow, "open platform" completely went unnoticed by you. Typical idiocy from el tormo.

Open platform is not a justification windows is a MS platform period.,

If i were MS i would fire back i say yes and those 65 million are also our costumers and run steam or out plaform,oh that without counting the endless millions of PC with windows but without steam.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Heil68

@PC_Otter said:

@Heil68: Perhaps, but it will likely bring in quite a few new PC gamers as well as garner support from old ones who want to experiment with Linux gaming or are looking for another, perhaps secondary, gaming PC.

They may attract new PC gamers but PC enthusiast will build their own PCs or HTPCs. We'll see I guess. More options is always a good thing and Valve really isn't taking any risks because they aren't the ones producing the boxes.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Heil68

@PC_Otter said:

They may attract new PC gamers but PC enthusiast will build their own PCs or HTPCs. We'll see I guess. More options is always a good thing and Valve really isn't taking any risks because they aren't the ones producing the boxes.

Evo_nine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Evo_nine
Member since 2012 • 2224 Posts

If I want a pc for my living room id build it myself.

Why would I buy this piece of shyat.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

So it's official, Gabe admits that Steam Machine is a Red Ocean strategy machine that will go against console gaming

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

@walloftruth said:

Ouch, MS done, PS4 and Steam Machines will rule the world, well until Gaben wants to pick a fight with Sony that is.

I love how people act like somehow the Steam Machines are going to compete with one console, but not the others.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@IgGy621985 said:

@muffin2020 said:

Basically yeah. But, next-gen consoles are also pre-built gaming PCs that you plug into TV/Monitor that come with their own OS. It's a matter of perspective.

Except Steam Machine natively supports kb/m, you can install Windows on it, and probably will support every game you already bought on Steam.

oh, so they're just overpriced pcs? awesome.....not really

Avatar image for k1ngd0m4g3rul3z
K1ngd0m4g3rul3z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By K1ngd0m4g3rul3z
Member since 2013 • 179 Posts

Gaben is a fat parasitic troll.

deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deleteduser198
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

@IgGy621985 said:

Perhaps the only downside of Steam Machine is the lack of exclusive titles. I like consoles because of exclusives. So if I already have a proper gaming PC, having a Steam Machine is basically unnecessary.

^ This. I have every console for their exclusives, and have a beast rig that's multiplicatively more powerful than the Steam Machine for my PC games. The Steam Machine is completely useless to me.

I think Newell bit off a lot more than he can chew. I'm not sure he anticipated the redundancy of what the Steam Machine is.

PC gamers praising the Steam Machine for what it is strikes me as a bit of a contradiction.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

I think how they are going about releasing these steam machines is the wrong way.Theres like 13 of them and that will only get alot of people confused and those who know whats what are most likely those that already have a gaming pc.I mean would it have been better to have the most 3 machines ya know like a low end,middle end and high end.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#39 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Open Source is a good thing. Hopefully Valve can do its part to ensure the platform remains viable for enterprise development.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@s0ldier69 said:

Microsoft is currently worth over 230 billion. Valve is at 4-5 billion. Id say you have a ways to go before you catch up Gaybe. So stfu.

That $230 billion certainly wasnt made from their gaming division. When it comes to gaming revenues valve destroys MS. Plus valve does it in a pro consumer fashion while MS cant make money even the easy, anti-consumer way. Valve has done a lot for gamers while MS has actually hurt gaming.

Locutus_Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Locutus_Picard
Member since 2004 • 4159 Posts

They're not targeting console audience, according to Gabe N. himself. They're offering a more convenient setup to existing steam users.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#42 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts

The Steam Machine kind of reminds me of the 3DO...

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

For now yes. But remember the price/performance will continue to shrink the longer the gen progress. Right now, at the beginning of the gen, consoles ar at their peak relative PC/Steam-machines. Two years from now the Steam machines will really blossom.

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 tymeservesfate
Member since 2003 • 2230 Posts

@IgGy621985 said:

I probably should just update my previous thread, but, well... Anyway, Gaben openly challenged MS in a console battle:

Q: "Microsoft just announced 3 million units of xbox one were sold at launch for the last three months, can you hit that target by the end of the year? Can you do 3 million units?"

A: "Newell: Well, it'd take a while for them to catch up. I mean, we're at 65 million [sold].

Part of why we think that this is the right direction to go in is that we can benefit from everything that people have already done. If I buy a game on Steam and am running it on Windows, I can go to one of the Steam Machines and I already have the game. So the benefit as a developer, you benefit as a consumer, having that PC experience extended into the living room."

Link.

Do you agree with Newell? Will Steam Machines crash and burn under the feet of MS and Sony, or do you believe Valve's approach could actually do some serious commotion on the console market?

wow, no mention of Sony? even Gaben has accepted and realized that Sony is irrelevant in the long term scheme of things....good for him.

:)

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

gabe is a great speaker, no telemproter bay here

Loading Video...

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

They talk about Steam Machine like it'll be direct competition. But how?

The PS4 and X1 are at the pinnacle of what the consumer is willing to pay for a console. And they're only willing to pay for that temporarily. To get the huge numbers of regular console buyers onto the current gen of consoles both the PS4 and X1 will have to be under £300 and both WILL push hard and harder than that when they need to.

This is fact, it's well known about the console industry. That's one of the reasons the consoles are specced the way they are, why they're using APUs.

They can make PCs as nice and compact as possible, but they're going to struggle to compete with the price. And even if they could, low priced PCs are corner cutting. The lower end the PC, the faster you are going to need to upgrade parts. I learn't this the hard way in the past.

The average consumer doesn't really care about power past a point if the price is too high.

Also, how is it ok in the console market for the Steam Machine to be a DRM, DD only, no Blu-Ray drive device, but the X1 got torn a new ass for even looking at these concepts.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By IgGy621985

@walloftruth said:
@SEANMCAD said:

@IgGy621985:

Newell however didnt even crack a smile he was dead serious and rightfully so

How exactly? He didn't sell 65 Million Steam Machines, he didn't sell 65 Million anything. All he has is 65 Million active accounts and you can have an active Steam account for free, so how exactly is that competition for MS?

User base. Steam has 65 million active accounts which run on 65 million Steam Machines. He's basically saying that any PC can be a Steam Machine.