FF Series - Worst games ever?

• 157 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Stonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Stonin
Member since 2006 • 3021 Posts

Derivative gameplay, boring fight sequences, level grinding and terrible story.

Honestly, why is this game series hyped so much? I mean watch a Manga film or read a book if you want a story.  Want to grind levels? Play an MMO so you can at least boast about your achievements to others online.

Obviously this is just opinion but from the sales figures it seems most share it.  I guess this is bought by hardcore JRPG fans only.  Anybody want to enlighten me as to why this is going to sell systems?

gtx-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 gtx-1
Member since 2007 • 901 Posts
Please Fanboy, just stop, stop right there. Just stop trolling.
Drukter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Drukter
Member since 2006 • 1484 Posts
Please Fanboy, just stop, stop right there. Just stop trolling.gtx-1
Why? I agree.
tcarruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 tcarruth
Member since 2005 • 926 Posts

[QUOTE="gtx-1"]Please Fanboy, just stop, stop right there. Just stop trolling.Drukter
Why? I agree.

me too. FF is utterly dull.

Cedmln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 Cedmln
Member since 2006 • 8802 Posts

"Anybody want to enlighten me as to why this is going to sell systems?"

Dude... It most likely already has... Stop seeking attention. Your whole arguement is incorrect.

Stonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Stonin

Dude... It most likely already has... Stop seeking attention. Your whole arguement is incorrect.

Cedmln
Please tell me why? I fail to see anything in this game even remotely worth talking about. There is nothing new, nothing innovative and nothing inspiring as far as I can see. Please point out why i'm wrong here.
Stonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Stonin
Please Fanboy, just stop, stop right there. Just stop trolling.gtx-1
I'm not trolling, you Sir are trolling. I am asking how this is supposed to sell systems?
ironwarrior2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ironwarrior2
Member since 2006 • 2590 Posts
Your right those games sunk
Cedmln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Cedmln
[QUOTE="Cedmln"]

Stonin

Please tell me why? I fail to see anything in this game even remotely worth talking about. There is nothing new, nothing innovative and nothing inspiring as far as I can see. Please point out why i'm wrong here.

"I fail to see anything in this game even remotely worth talking about."

Umm. Duh. You are blind and will probably stay that way. You can't show a blind person what he can't see. Just stop.

RPGs wouldn't be where they are if it wasn't for FF... Fable wouldn't have been created and hype as the best RPG ever made if it wasn't for FF success. Blah blah blah. But of course you don't see that. Too bad.

Phantom_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Phantom_J
Member since 2006 • 1181 Posts
To be honest, the only FF game that ever held my attention for more than a month is FFVII. The rest bore the living hell out of me. I do, however, love their cutscenes. IMO Kingdom Hearts dominates FF.
Cedmln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Cedmln

[QUOTE="gtx-1"]Please Fanboy, just stop, stop right there. Just stop trolling.Stonin
I'm not trolling, you Sir are trolling. I am asking how this is supposed to sell systems?

You wanna know how?

People who love the FF games will buy the systems to play them. Thats how.

trasherhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 trasherhead
Member since 2005 • 3058 Posts
yeah.. terrible game... that hasn't sold less then 3 million units since FF5... only game serie that have sold more is Mario i guess...
trasherhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 trasherhead
Member since 2005 • 3058 Posts

[QUOTE="Stonin"][QUOTE="gtx-1"]Please Fanboy, just stop, stop right there. Just stop trolling.Cedmln

You wanna know how?

People who love the FF games will buy the systems to play them. Thats how.

and there are millions of us who is eagerly awaiting the new FF;)
asmallchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 asmallchild
Member since 2007 • 2015 Posts
yea...you go back to your anime and book i think we'll enjoy the ff series for you
Stonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Stonin

Cedmln
At least I have an argument.
Drukter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Drukter
Thing with FF is that as RPGs they suck. It's way too linear, always teenage characters beating up long-haired villians, you can't change the story, you can't change the characters, dialouge are well written sure, but they suck at the same time, you don't have any choice at all. Always the good-hearted 15 year old depressed spike-haired boy fighting the evil forces. And as for the combat, it's fine, I dont have anything against turn-based at all. And RPGs sure as hell would have been what they are now, FF didnt do anything for the RPG genre. For the JRPG on the other hand. RGP and JRPG have huuuuuuuge diffrences.
GeDaan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GeDaan
Member since 2006 • 59 Posts
I agree with the TC. FF gets old. But i am an FFfanboy, so ill get it anyway.
Stonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Stonin
[QUOTE="Stonin"][QUOTE="Cedmln"]

Cedmln

Umm. Duh. You are blind and will probably stay that way. You can't show a blind person what he can't see. Just stop.

RPGs wouldn't be where they are if it wasn't for FF... Fable wouldn't have been created and hype as the best RPG ever made if it wasn't for FF success. Blah blah blah. But of course you don't see that. Too bad.

RPG's wouldn't be around if it wasn't for FF? We all know FF was the first ever RPG..... :roll: I see that no one has answered any of the questions about what exactly makes FF good.
Stonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Stonin
Thing with FF is that as RPGs they suck. It's way too linear, always teenage characters beating up long-haired villians, you can't change the story, you can't change the characters, dialouge are well written sure, but they suck at the same time, you don't have any choice at all. Always the good-hearted 15 year old depressed spike-haired boy fighting the evil forces. And as for the combat, it's fine, I dont have anything against turn-based at all. And RPGs sure as hell would have been what they are now, FF didnt do anything for the RPG genre. For the JRPG on the other hand. RGP and JRPG have huuuuuuuge diffrences.Drukter
Don't get me wrong I love turn based RPG's and strategy games in general. I love most RPG's and even well done JRPGs. However I still cannot find one redeeming quality for this game series. It actually seems that as the series has progressed in number the gameplay has regressed in depth.
Cedmln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Cedmln
[QUOTE="Cedmln"]

Stonin

At least I have an argument.

Ok. Well you have fun reading your 500+ page books with actual stories and also have fun wasting hundreds if not thousands of hours (just to progress to better things) of you life on a MMO.

While we millions of "HARDCORE JRPG" fans will be playing our 40+ hours of boring, unisnpiring, and worthless fun instead.

Ok?

Drukter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Drukter
[QUOTE="Cedmln"][QUOTE="Stonin"][QUOTE="Cedmln"]

Stonin

Umm. Duh. You are blind and will probably stay that way. You can't show a blind person what he can't see. Just stop.

RPG's wouldn't be around if it wasn't for FF? We all know FF was the first ever RPG..... :roll: I see that no one has answered any of the questions about what exactly makes FF good.

Because they can't answer the question, they don't have any arguement against what I said either. They should read up what RPGs really are about.
Zenkuso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Zenkuso
Member since 2006 • 4090 Posts
I personally like FF5, FF7, FF8, FF9 and FF12.

I like rpgs, not just jrpgs. I find the japanese companies however need to expand there way of concieving them though because most of them nowadays are total spewed out garbage. FF12 was a real surprise because they actually done something completely different with the series and it worked out well. Sure it has some of the worst games in my list, however thats a long list of games we are talking about as well. Personally everyone has different tastes when it comes to anything in this world, you can't just destroy the rest of the world because you want your little corner to be the same.
Viviath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 Viviath
Member since 2005 • 2795 Posts

Derivative gameplay, boring fight sequences, level grinding and terrible story.

Stonin
reminds me of KOTOR.... :?

Edit: In all fairness, I have to take out 'level grinding'...the games difficulty lvl is so easy that you can basically beat every battle with your light saber and no armor on....although I would like to add, it has no tactics just click on a bad guy and wait while it auto fights...oh yeah, you can use a force power everyone now and again if you want...but its more of a side thing, than anything that is actually helpful. All u need are medipacks and then force powers become worthless.
WildTurkey00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 WildTurkey00
Member since 2005 • 4067 Posts
I think FF are cool games but I haven't been into a FF game since VII. That was like 7 or 8 years ago. Bottom line: Grinding kinda sucks.
Tails10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Tails10
Member since 2003 • 323 Posts
The FF Series:

Graphics and presentation:

Usually vastly improved over the previous installment and act as a showcase for the systems power when released, usually 1 of the top 3 games for graphics without a doubt. Something for you lemmings to love since you care so much about graphics.

Story:
Stories are more interesting, emotioanl, well thought out and epic than any other RPG. With the great character development and driven storylines, plotwise, Final Fantasy dominates.

Gameplay:
For a while, it used to simply be turn based but whets talk about the last 3 FF games and terms of their gameplay changes.

FFX:
Sphere grid was simply, a great way of changing the way you improved your characters abilities and stats in a UNIQUE way something you often claim that FF doesn't do. On top of for the first time in the FF series being able to see your summon and have it as a fighting character for you, on top of the ability to switch them in and out of battle.

FFX - 2: agreed not a fantastic ame, but still the ATB system was nicely implemented but lacking the power of the first, but again proves against your point of dull, repetitive battle mechanics with each game release.

FFXII - Sorry, if your saying that FF doesn't come up with unique ways and never changes there core systems, then you are obviously blind. Gambit system for the non turn based, real time multiple fighting is simply great. It works fantastically well and has taken the FF series in a whole new direction. Now having the ability to work together with planned AI strategy, changeable quite easily for varying enemies. The licesnse grid is a fresh addition, being able to icnrease your proficency based on how high a level you are in that proficency to see what you can equip and use.

Whole fact the battle system is in real time and non turn based also again proves that FF do change there systems with every game, something you claim they never do.

These are all the reasons why it does so well as it does, epic stories, great presentation and an always changing combat system with each game. There is no way you can call the FF series in recent years, something that doesn't change the way it works and pump out games "derivatively"
Cedmln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Cedmln
[QUOTE="Cedmln"][QUOTE="Stonin"][QUOTE="Cedmln"]

Stonin

WOW. YOU actually managed to missread my post.

I said: "RPGs wouldn't be where they are if it wasn't for FF..."

We don't need to give you an arguement. FF games are still praised for its greatness today.

Thats all there is to it. I'm sorry if you can't see why. Buy new glasses maybe, or just stop.

Stonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Stonin
[QUOTE="Stonin"][QUOTE="Cedmln"][QUOTE="Stonin"][QUOTE="Cedmln"]

Cedmln

We don't need to give you an arguement. FF games are still praised for its greatness today.

Thats all there is to it. I'm sorry if you can't see why. Buy new glasses maybe, or just stop.

Ooops my bad I did misread that. You comment is still wrong however, I fail to see how WoW was influenced by FF and that is the biggest selling RPG of this generation. Howe about D&D? Nope. I think you might have meant JRPG's....so while i'm out getting my glasses you might want to pick up a new argument.
Avatar image for PelekotansDream
PelekotansDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#28 PelekotansDream
Member since 2005 • 7602 Posts
[QUOTE="Cedmln"]

Stonin

The music and sound is always of a high quality aswell as the storyline. The art direction for all the games is also amazing and since FF9 they have been trying various things to break away from tradition.

Cedmln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Cedmln
[QUOTE="Cedmln"][QUOTE="Stonin"][QUOTE="Cedmln"][QUOTE="Stonin"][QUOTE="Cedmln"]

Stonin

Ooops my bad I did misread that. You comment is still wrong however, I fail to see how WoW was influenced by FF and that is the biggest selling RPG of this generation. Howe about D&D? Nope. I think you might have meant JRPG's....so while i'm out getting my glasses you might want to pick up a new argument.

Sorry. Fable was hyped to be the best RPG ever. That didn't turn out well and FF is still beating it. 

RPGs from Japan don't have their own independent labels. Serious. The game boxes don't say "JRPG" on them.

You can't disprove that.

Oh and how is my comment wrong? Disprove it please.

lild1425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#30 lild1425
Member since 2004 • 6757 Posts
I like it better than MGS.
Cedmln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Cedmln

And no. All other RPGs won't be where they are now if it wasn't for FF.

I FF wasn't such a success, I promise you that every other RPG wouldn't be here in the same way it is now.

Its jus that simple.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts
i half agree with the tc. ff7-x2 all sucked sept for tactics nothing square enix makes is good any more the last great ff was 6
-KinGz-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 -KinGz-
Member since 2006 • 5232 Posts
I liked A lot the 12 ALOT, and liked alot more 7, 8 , 9...
Shazenab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Shazenab
Member since 2004 • 3413 Posts
Oh, I beg to differ

shaggygrosser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 shaggygrosser
Member since 2003 • 5871 Posts
Final Fantasy games totally cater to my obsessive-compulsive tendencies.  All the repetitive collecting and leveling puts my nerves at ease.  No joke.
taker42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 taker42
Member since 2007 • 1614 Posts

Derivative gameplay, boring fight sequences, level grinding and terrible story.

Honestly, why is this game series hyped so much? I mean watch a Manga film or read a book if you want a story. Want to grind levels? Play an MMO so you can at least boast about your achievements to others online.

Obviously this is just opinion but from the sales figures it seems most share it. I guess this is bought by hardcore JRPG fans only. Anybody want to enlighten me as to why this is going to sell systems?

Stonin
You don't like it. Others do. They like the fight sequence, they like leveling and they like the story. Note: "boring" and "terrible" are opinions so fans will use words like "fun" and "awesome". And I see it as a mark of achievement for a game if there are people that actually feel that hating the game makes them "special". This is mostly observed in WoW threads where every now and down, some tard will come in and proclaim how "boring" and "terrible" the game is. Who honestly gives a damn what you think?!
Terami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 Terami
Member since 2004 • 3992 Posts

Anybody want to enlighten me as to why this is going to sell systems?

Stonin

I'll buy the console that has Final Fantasy on it. 

1) Because I enjoy the series. 

2) Because chances are, if Square-Enix is developing on one platform, many other developers are as well. 

3) If SE left Sony for MS, the loses for Sony would be greater than losing just Final Fantasy, many developers would follow suit.

solidte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 solidte
Member since 2005 • 3616 Posts
FFIV: 8.2 (GBA port)
FFV: 8.5 (GBA port)
FFVI: 8.9 (GBA port)
FFVII: 9.5
FF:VIII: 9.5
FFIX: 8.5
FF Tactics 8.9
FFX: 9.3
FF.....XI: 8.2 (PC version)
FFXII 9.0

Impressive series as you see.

Hot_Potato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Hot_Potato
Member since 2004 • 3422 Posts
Final Fantasy games seriously suck. The only good one was FF 7. They all went downhill from there.
Guiltfeeder566

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40 Guiltfeeder566
Member since 2005 • 10068 Posts
Hey man! Nobody makes fun off FF7 and 8! Nobody! I may be no cow but those games were great on so many levels. But after 8 I don't really care.
lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4862 Posts
They are not the worst games ever, but they are very boring IMO.  And whats up with the choregraphed fighting moves???
Pangster007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#42 Pangster007
Member since 2004 • 4426 Posts
TC, i completely disagree with you. It sounds like you're a lemming in serious denial. I'm getting FF games whatever platform it may be on; And whatever you have to say, it won't change my decisions.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
FF games boring? Lately... sort of. As a whole series?... that's ridiculous.
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
[QUOTE="Stonin"][QUOTE="Cedmln"][QUOTE="Stonin"][QUOTE="Cedmln"]

Cedmln

RPG's wouldn't be anywhere without FF???!?!??!?! Dude just cos you've been gaming for what 5 yrs you think you know what you're talking about??? Bards Tale? Fallout? Pool of Radience? Baldur's Gate? Elder scrolls? Planetscape Torment? NWN? KOTOR? To name a few. None of these games, which are far far superior to the FF series, owe any debt to the JRPG. Don't talk about things you know nothing about.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#45 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
I thought this was a thread about which FF game was the worst.  I would say FF 2 (the japan version) NOT FF 2 (US which was actually FF 4 Japan).
Terami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46 Terami
Member since 2004 • 3992 Posts
[QUOTE="Cedmln"][QUOTE="Stonin"][QUOTE="Cedmln"]"I fail to see anything in this game even remotely worth talking about."

blue_hazy_basic

RPG's wouldn't be anywhere without FF???!?!??!?! Dude just cos you've been gaming for what 5 yrs you think you know what you're talking about??? Bards Tale? Fallout? Pool of Radience? Baldur's Gate? Elder scrolls? Planetscape Torment? NWN? KOTOR? To name a few. None of these games, which are far far superior to the FF series, owe any debt to the JRPG. Don't talk about things you know nothing about.

Actually, he has a point... For consoles, FF VII really opened the genre up to the masses.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"] RPG's wouldn't be anywhere without FF???!?!??!?! Dude just cos you've been gaming for what 5 yrs you think you know what you're talking about??? Bards Tale? Fallout? Pool of Radience? Baldur's Gate? Elder scrolls? Planetscape Torment? NWN? KOTOR? To name a few. None of these games, which are far far superior to the FF series, owe any debt to the JRPG. Don't talk about things you know nothing about.

Sounds like you like Dungeons and Dragons.
Cedmln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Cedmln
[QUOTE="Cedmln"][QUOTE="Stonin"][QUOTE="Cedmln"][QUOTE="Stonin"][QUOTE="Cedmln"]blue_hazy_basic

"RPG's wouldn't be anywhere without FF???!?!??!?!"

WOW... You too have missread my post. Read it again.

Try this again somewhere else next time, in a place where it will make sense to what you are responding to.

Oh and I've been gaming ever since the early 90's... Just to answer your question... or should I say... correct it.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"] RPG's wouldn't be anywhere without FF???!?!??!?! Dude just cos you've been gaming for what 5 yrs you think you know what you're talking about??? Bards Tale? Fallout? Pool of Radience? Baldur's Gate? Elder scrolls? Planetscape Torment? NWN? KOTOR? To name a few. None of these games, which are far far superior to the FF series, owe any debt to the JRPG. Don't talk about things you know nothing about.

Sounds like you like Dungeons and Dragons.

I've been gaming for a LONG time lol and thats what RPG's were when I was a lad. It just gets my goat when people think gaming didn't exist before the console came along. I was trying to show and evolution of games entirely separate to the JRPG. JRPG's tend to have very little roleplaying about them. You don't create your character, you don't have any control over their evolution (not skills but character development) as you're playing a linear story. You can't choose to be good or evil, you tend to be able to influence things only in a very minor way in the story. Nor do I enjoy the style of combat. I'm not bashing people for liking the games, although they aren't for me. But RPG's evolved in the west not the east. (see games like nethack for the very earliest style!)
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="Cedmln"][QUOTE="Stonin"][QUOTE="Cedmln"][QUOTE="Stonin"][QUOTE="Cedmln"]Cedmln

"RPG's wouldn't be anywhere without FF???!?!??!?!"

WOW... You too have missread my post. Read it again.

Try this again somewhere else next time, in a place where it will make sense to what you are responding to.

Very well I stand exactly by my post before. "RPGs wouldn't be where they are if it wasn't for FF..." swap tht for my opening line. Reads exactly the same.

EDIT:and early 90's? so you've heard of like half the games on the list? (BT and PoR originals - the remakes were shadows)