Female Character Design: Has This Ever Offended You?

• 160 results
LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts

@mariokart97 said:

@LustForSoul said:

They could depict a child getting its head smashed in, I don't care. It's fake.

I read this a couple times and laughed pretty hard.

I respect the honesty bro, really.

But nah that would be kinda messed up to see.

As far as chicks in games go, unless you are trying to make them like less attractive and more dykey for the purpose of adding a serious tone...then I guess that works.

But in my eyes why not make them attractive? In Dead Or Alive all the chicks are hot af(Ayane) but none of them are unrealistically busty.

I would never get offended even if their breasts were larger than their body, though that would make the game a joke right off the bat. But like the first pic in the OP when their features are exaggerated that much it isn't that attractive, it seems like it's trying too hard to be.

What I said could go too far but you get what I'm saying. Besides, I'm no expert but male protagonists are usually really attractive as well. Males just don't have the physical parts to exaggerate. If they had, it would change males in gaming as well. It seems to me there's more people complaining about virtual women in skimpy clothing than the real life ones. Who are we to doubt the game developer's vision on the game, don't play it if you don't like it. You're also right about dragon's crown, they're extreme cases. The Amazon has crazy legs, it's insane.

Avatar image for _williamwallace
_WilliamWallace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#152 _WilliamWallace
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Why is this room so sticky? ??

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

Am I the only one who likes this design? I mean, she owns her sexuality IMO, she's even subduing that skeleton with her massive tits alone.

I'm only being half sarcastic, I like the art and I think she comes off as a powerful female, not ashamed of her..... Assets.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#154  Edited By Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69474 Posts

@parkurtommo said:

Most games that have "sexualized" designs apply them to both genders.... Because it's logical.

I don't really recall seeing any gams where the men look normal but the women look unrealistically attractive.

Nope, that is not true and you know it. Men are generally not sexualized in gaming. There is no common game that has sexualized men remotely close to the sexualization of women. And one game that easily comes to mind for normal looking men is GTAV. Are you going to argue that they have been sexualized?

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#155  Edited By parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

@Pedro said:

@parkurtommo said:

Most games that have "sexualized" designs apply them to both genders.... Because it's logical.

I don't really recall seeing any gams where the men look normal but the women look unrealistically attractive.

Nope, that is not true and you know it. Men are generally not sexualized in gaming. There is no common game that has sexualized men remotely close to the sexualization of women. And one game that easily comes to mind for normal looking men is GTAV. Are you going to argue that they have been sexualized?

I haven't played GTA much. But nah gta goes for realistic anatomy above all, nothing about their designs are sexualized considering they are based on real life. Now the character dialogue and importance attributed to females in those games are a different matter, one that I can't comment on.

Yes, male character designs are visually sexualized just as female ones. As I said in my second post, the sexualization is a way to distinguish the two genders in a stylized way. So female designs will focus on curved features, and male designs will focus on angled features (acute angles). It's very basic design language.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#156 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@OhSnapitz said:

@KBFloYd said:

@handssss said:

@KBFloYd said:

smash bros joins the party

Samus has had that outfit longer than this website has existed.

nope

Yup! perhaps before your time.

thats not the same outfit... are you blind?

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

@melonfarmerz said:

Um, as a feminist, this clearly sets an unobtainable image for women. It makes us feel bad about our image. If video game guys were like this, you suppressive men of the patriarchy would be even more angry and rattled.

That's not an unobtainable image for women, especially nowadays, but yes, a really high standard, hard to achieve. But this is not only a problem for women since most males are also portrayed with a really high standard that is hard to achieve.

@Pedro said:

Your point is mute because the vast majority of games DO NOT SEXUALIZE men. Please try again.

His point is not mute. Are you trying to say that portraying men with big, ripped bodies isn't a form to sexualize the male body?

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

@OhSnapitz said:

@KBFloYd said:

@handssss said:

@KBFloYd said:

smash bros joins the party

Samus has had that outfit longer than this website has existed.

nope

Yup! perhaps before your time.

thats not the same outfit... are you blind?

The new one from Smash bros actually covers more, so his point probably still stands. Samus had joined the party since before this website even existed.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#159  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@glez13 said:

The new one from Smash bros actually covers more, so his point probably still stands. Samus had joined the party since before this website even existed.

my quote was smash bros joins the party not samus.

also that suit from smash bros is from zero mission on the gameboy.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#162  Edited By PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

How can art be offensive as a fact? Only the individual viewer can put an emotion behind a visual art image and there for that emotion is your own and solely belongs to you. That's what art does, it can inspire as much as it can move you but since it is a subjective thing, then there is no single fact of science that says "hey, this is offensive because I am offended". That's Hitler stuff. ...Please don't be Hitler.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#163 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@MlauTheDaft said:

Am I the only one who likes this design? I mean, she owns her sexuality IMO, she's even subduing that skeleton with her massive tits alone.

I'm only being half sarcastic, I like the art and I think she comes off as a powerful female, not ashamed of her..... Assets.

That's a good point.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#164  Edited By madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

No, is very silly and ridiculous, but i don't get mad.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#165 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I'm not offended, but it's pretty tasteless.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

I can't say it ever offends me but it certainly makes me avoid some games as it's so cringe-worthy.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 Pedro  Online

@parkurtommo said:

I haven't played GTA much. But nah gta goes for realistic anatomy above all, nothing about their designs are sexualized considering they are based on real life. Now the character dialogue and importance attributed to females in those games are a different matter, one that I can't comment on.

Yes, male character designs are visually sexualized just as female ones. As I said in my second post, the sexualization is a way to distinguish the two genders in a stylized way. So female designs will focus on curved features, and male designs will focus on angled features (acute angles). It's very basic design language.

No, they are not. You are lying to yourself by making such an erroneous statement. Following basic design rules for distinguishing between male and females by the quality of the line and shape does not equate to sexualization of the design. Using your notion, the mere softening of a characters features is making the character more sexually desirable, which again is not true. Also by your definition (which is not true) the very practice of making a character look more male or more female is making the design more sexual and ALL work that has humans are sexualised by default. You know as well I do that such a notion is rubbish. I thoroughly baffled that people are trying to argue that men are sexualized in games and that its the norm. Is this some sort of methodology of avoiding the issue of females being commonly sexualized in gaming?

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#168  Edited By parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

@Pedro said:

@parkurtommo said:

No, they are not. You are lying to yourself by making such an erroneous statement. Following basic design rules for distinguishing between male and females by the quality of the line and shape does not equate to sexualization of the design. Using your notion, the mere softening of a characters features is making the character more sexually desirable, which again is not true. Also by your definition (which is not true) the very practice of making a character look more male or more female is making the design more sexual and ALL work that has humans are sexualised by default. You know as well I do that such a notion is rubbish. I thoroughly baffled that people are trying to argue that men are sexualized in games and that its the norm. Is this some sort of methodology of avoiding the issue of females being commonly sexualized in gaming?

Ok, you're resorting to strawmans and you aren't really backing up your "opinion" at all.

I'm sorry, I don't want to continue the discussion. But I will leave it with the continuing notion that yes, male characters are stylised (what SJWs call sexualized) just as female characters are, and that is to make a bigger distinction between the two sexes, to easily achieve a sense of sexual (gender) identity.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 Pedro  Online

@glez13 said:

His point is not mute. Are you trying to say that portraying men with big, ripped bodies isn't a form to sexualize the male body?

Oh it is a form that can be used but it is not used to make them sexually more appealing. The list of guys he referenced are not sexualized. They are designed to appeal to a male audience by encompassing the male ego which involves the concept of manliness/ being macho/ being a man. Are we going to ignore the fact that these games are meant to appeal to men due to their general audience being mostly men? Are you saying that devs knowing that their core audience are males are trying to make their games with sexier men so that it appeals to this male audience? Are you also going to ignore the default design of most characters in gaming in which the female is scantily clad and the male is fully engulfed in armor? You can like/love sexualised females in gaming; that is more than fine, but lets not pretend that men are designed with the same intention in mind.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts
@Pedro said:

@glez13 said:

Oh it is a form that can be used but it is not used to make them sexually more appealing. The list of guys he referenced are not sexualized. They are designed to appeal to a male audience by encompassing the male ego which involves the concept of manliness/ being macho/ being a man. Are we going to ignore the fact that these games are meant to appeal to men due to their general audience being mostly men? Are you saying that devs knowing that their core audience are males are trying to make their games with sexier men so that it appeals to this male audience? Are you also going to ignore the default design of most characters in gaming in which the female is scantily clad and the male is fully engulfed in armor? You can like/love sexualised females in gaming; that is more than fine, but lets not pretend that men are designed with the same intention in mind.

In all fairness, women certainly like big macho men, not to mention that Nathan Drake is the prototype for hot, dreamy movie protagonists.

Are women oversexualised in games? Sure, sometimes, I just disagree that it's as pronounced a phenomenon as some would have it seem.

I already expressed my feelings about Dragon's Crown further up in this thread, so I won't reitterate on that :)

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#171 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

Nope, never have.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#172  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

I'm just posting this here to piss some people off. I don't like Anita nor agree with the way she take things out of context to prove her one sided opinion. Many of the games she talks in the video mirror a reality that she just don't want to accept. She wants to censor and turn video games into her own vision of how society should be and then she asks why people hate her. It must be because she's a woman, right?

Loading Video...

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 Pedro  Online

@Gue1 said:

I'm just posting this here to piss some people off. I don't like Anita nor agree with the way she take things out of context to prove her one sided opinion. Many of the games she talks in the video mirror a reality that she just don't want to accept. She wants to censor and turn video games into her own vision of how society should be and then she asks why people hate her. It must be because she's a woman, right?

She is simply trolling folks. There is not other explanation because she is not helping "the cause";