Female Character Design: Has This Ever Offended You?

• 160 results
#101 Edited by handssss (1821 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

smash bros joins the party

Samus has had that outfit longer than this website has existed.

Also, Soul Calibur? Yeah that franchise has this as well, but you don't see us guys freaking out about it.

#102 Posted by 360ru13r (207 posts) -

Offensive no. Over used to get a male audience to buy the game yes. For the most part male in a male dominated society, especially with gaming, you're bound to sexify something up to attract those who can only think with their d!cks.

#103 Edited by mariokart97 (836 posts) -

I'm offended that video games have good breast jiggle but kind of ignore asses. Such an integral part to the experience.

Japan loves boobs I guess.

Bro I kid you not in Soul Calibur 2 for Gamecube when you go to the character profiles, you can press L or R to make them bounce and turn slightly and I shit you not Taki had an ass jiggle mechanic. When I was 12 and saw that my jaw dropped

#104 Posted by Heirren (16545 posts) -

The Nintendo 64 proves these design choices should 100% happen

#105 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

Really ? Thats Nothing !

#106 Posted by Zero_epyon (5082 posts) -

@freedomfreak: I'll sympathize with women offended by this when they stop drawing male characters like blocks of muscle. Until then, enjoy the fiction...

#107 Edited by ninjaxams (7105 posts) -

offended? hell no, i love me some t and a. i can appreciate fully clothed "normal" female characters like faith from mirrors edge however. what does offend me are dumbass liberal social justice warriors.

#108 Posted by Ribnarak (2294 posts) -

the thing is, people (especially women) who are offended by these characters and how they portray women should DO something about it. No ones stopping women from becoming developers and making their own games.

#109 Posted by mrmusicman247 (17575 posts) -

i simply submit this video

#110 Posted by natsm (60 posts) -
#111 Posted by Motokid6 (5246 posts) -

@Gue1: Oh, sure thing. But you didn't answer my question.

#112 Edited by Roler42 (592 posts) -

I'm too busy enjoying myself with the games to worry about the way the characters are designed

#113 Edited by Gue1 (9500 posts) -

@funsohng said:

@Gue1: I don't agree with this. Art shouldn't be confined by motivation. Regardless of how commercial the motivation is, it still is a creative expression.

the creative expression of your greed maybe.

@parkurtommo said:

@Gue1 said:

@parkurtommo:

You really do have an incredibly distorted and contradictory definition of "art".

The moment you create something thinking on what you think it will help it sell better, is at that moment when your work stops being art and becomes a commercial or mass market product. Because this is not the author's expression anymore, this is just greed not your artistic vision.

For something to be art you have to create it the way you truly wan it to be. You think only about yourself. But this doesn't mean that for something to be art you have to create it alone, there's this thing called "collective vision". This is when you and a group of people work toward a common goal to create something. But this is much more harder to achieve because of conflict of interests and the main reason why on every project there's always only one director. The director is the true architect of that work.

That's a horribly skewed definition of art... There is a thing... Called commercial art...

Dude. That is just so fucking stupid. "if you get paid then it's not art". Bullshit. If you're doing it right, it is your artistic vision.

is not about getting paid but you changing your vision for the money. And this is not my opinion or personal definition, that's what art is.

Naughty Dog made The Last of Us and in many interviews they said that they made the game they wanted to make without thinking if it would be a success or not. We have the developer of Journey, Tearaway and Shadow of the Colossus. There's Ninja Theory too with Enslaved. All these people made the games they wanted to make. And you can tell right away because of how different and unique they are. These could be considered art. Even Bayonetta could be considered art. Look for interviews of Kamiya about how he created the game, Bayo is what he considers to be his perfect woman. Zelda would be art too. The game was made after Miyamoto's experiences as a kid, and he made it because he thought it was fun.

Then there's Resident Evil, Assassins Creed, Final Fantasy 13, Call of Duty... These are not art. The artistic vision of all these games was compromised by money.

What is the Difference Between Commercial Art and Fine Art?

They both share the word "art" but are completely different things. One is about expression while the other is just about money.

#114 Edited by funsohng (27614 posts) -

@Gue1: and why shouldn't greed be an artistic motivation? Art is not some lordly stuff for monks, it's just what humans express.

maybe it's because I study the prime example of so-called "commercial art" as my major, but commercial or not, art is art. You can't ignore the creative process that was put there just because it involved money.

#115 Posted by jg4xchamp (47340 posts) -

Offended me? no

Are they fucking tacky? yes, they are incredibly tacky designs. It's not exactly out of the realm of possibility that an adult would look at those 2 things and go that's fucking stupid.

#116 Posted by Shielder7 (5151 posts) -

I'm offend by the stupidity of this thread

#117 Posted by EJ902 (14278 posts) -

I wouldn't say I get offended by any of it but it does bother me when games throw ridiculously proportioned women and lots of fanservice at me like I'm some drooling teenager, all I want to do is play my games, not ogle fantasy women. There's a time and a place for looking at that stuff and playing video games usually isn't it. To me it just seems patronising and demeaning toward the people buying your games (unless your intended audience is specifically people who enjoy it).

#118 Posted by parkurtommo (26470 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

@funsohng said:

@Gue1: I don't agree with this. Art shouldn't be confined by motivation. Regardless of how commercial the motivation is, it still is a creative expression.

@parkurtommo said:

@Gue1 said:

@parkurtommo:

You really do have an incredibly distorted and contradictory definition of "art".

The moment you create something thinking on what you think it will help it sell better, is at that moment when your work stops being art and becomes a commercial or mass market product. Because this is not the author's expression anymore, this is just greed not your artistic vision.

For something to be art you have to create it the way you truly wan it to be. You think only about yourself. But this doesn't mean that for something to be art you have to create it alone, there's this thing called "collective vision". This is when you and a group of people work toward a common goal to create something. But this is much more harder to achieve because of conflict of interests and the main reason why on every project there's always only one director. The director is the true architect of that work.

That's a horribly skewed definition of art... There is a thing... Called commercial art...

Dude. That is just so fucking stupid. "if you get paid then it's not art". Bullshit. If you're doing it right, it is your artistic vision.

is not about getting paid but you changing your vision for the money. And this is not my opinion or personal definition, that's what art is.

Naughty Dog made The Last of Us and in many interviews they said that they made the game they wanted to make without thinking if it would be a success or not. We have the developer of Journey, Tearaway and Shadow of the Colossus. There's Ninja Theory too with Enslaved. All these people made the games they wanted to make. And you can tell right away because of how different and unique they are. These could be considered art. Even Bayonetta could be considered art. Look for interviews of Kamiya about how he created the game, Bayo is what he considers to be his perfect woman. Zelda would be art too. The game was made after Miyamoto's experiences as a kid, and he made it because he thought it was fun.

Then there's Resident Evil, Assassins Creed, Final Fantasy 13, Call of Duty... These are not art. The artistic vision of all these games was compromised by money.

They both share the word "art" but are completely different things. One is about expression while the other is just about money.

You're wrong bro. Commercial art is about expression, for money.

As a commercial artist myself, I am telling you this. When I make a commercial piece, yes, I want to get paid for it. But I'm still fulfilling my desire to paint simultaneously... The stuff I do for money, or for my own leisure are identical, just that a client asked for something specific.

Commercial art is ideally just as liberating as fine art, depending on the taste of the artist... But yes, some people eventually just associate it with their work life (since it is their job) and feel a big disconnect between their free time and their art.

Why are you even arguing at this point?

#119 Posted by KBFloYd (13176 posts) -

@handssss said:

@KBFloYd said:

nope

#121 Posted by clone01 (24519 posts) -

Nah.

#122 Posted by Pedro (21037 posts) -

I am offended by the reaction of some of the responses in this thread, in which you have guys trying really hard to reaffirm their manliness. I am offended that devs who make characters like these categorize the hugely adult male gamers as teenage losers who fantasize about overly voluptuous women because they have never seen a naked woman before.

#123 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (6148 posts) -

I masturbate around the clock. If I am offended, it is usually because I'm being dominated in a fantasy. Usually this happens when Lara Croft is using a undesirarable sexual device on me.

Not Angelina Jolie Lara or new Lara but the first Lara. Light blue shirt and giant melons in low definition.

#124 Edited by 04dcarraher (19254 posts) -

Nope

Current character in Skyrim

#125 Posted by mikhail (1119 posts) -

I don't find these types of designs to be offensive - more like distasteful. It's the same reason I don't like most anime, I just don't enjoy looking at extremely young looking girls with giant boobs wearing skimpy outfits.

#126 Edited by 93BlackHawk93 (5315 posts) -

@Pedro said:

I am offended by the reaction of some of the responses in this thread, in which you have guys trying really hard to reaffirm their manliness. I am offended that devs who make characters like these categorize the hugely adult male gamers as teenage losers who fantasize about overly voluptuous women because they have never seen a naked woman before.

Double standards FTL.

#127 Posted by GunSmith1_basic (9763 posts) -

I find it embarassing that it is so prevalent. I like identifying myself as a gamer but this type of thing gives all of us a bad name. Imagine if Hollywood only made B movies, casting the most scantily clad big breasted women out there and hid behind lines like "who doesn't like tits?" or "women should be empowered to show their bodies if they choose" (disingenuous). Hollywood doesn't do that because they make entertainment for all people and not just horny males. Video games should strive towards the mainstream. A lot of games do, but like I said it's how prevalent a thing is.

#128 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2409 posts) -

I am not offended by them but they disgust me.

#129 Edited by gamefan67 (9876 posts) -

Cant say I find it offensive but im not a huge fan of the exaggerated body type for almost every female in the game/show.

Coming from a guy who loves japanese games and anime.

#130 Posted by UnbiasedPoster (742 posts) -

Lol.

No.

#131 Edited by Pedro (21037 posts) -

@Pedro said:

Double standards FTL.

Double standards? Are those guys supposed to be the sexualized equivalents of females?

#132 Posted by foxhound_fox (87683 posts) -

Offended by an overly sexualized female form?

As a straight man I laugh at this notion.

#133 Edited by Pedro (21037 posts) -

I wonder how some folks would react if more male characters look like this

#134 Edited by LustForSoul (5843 posts) -

They could depict a child getting its head smashed in, I don't care. It's fake.

#135 Posted by Aljosa23 (24745 posts) -

I don't get offended by shitty designs but it does make it harder to play that specific game.

#136 Edited by Aljosa23 (24745 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

@funsohng said:

@parkurtommo said:

@Gue1 said:

@parkurtommo:

You do know that when you are critiquing art, the intentions of the creator(s) matters absolutely 0, right? Authorial intent is a really, really, poor way to judge anything. Any serious art/literary critic would laugh at the notion that something being "fine" art is inherently better than something that's "commercial". Your examples are poor too, since the nuclear bomb scene from Call of Duty 4 is one of the most interesting depictions of anything ever in a game. And those games can be considered "commercial" art. There is nothing to be gained from arbitrarily splitting up art into categories unless your aim is to try and devalue something to feel superior.

Art comes all from interpretation of the viewer and fiction is exactly what YOU (the viewer) want it to be. Whether or not someone created it based on money or something you consider greedy is pretty much irrelevant. Especially when you consider that some of the greatest artistic creations ever were commissioned just to satisfy rich patrons and not the creator's artistic vision.

#137 Posted by mariokart97 (836 posts) -

They could depict a child getting its head smashed in, I don't care. It's fake.

I read this a couple times and laughed pretty hard.

I respect the honesty bro, really.

But nah that would be kinda messed up to see.

As far as chicks in games go, unless you are trying to make them like less attractive and more dykey for the purpose of adding a serious tone...then I guess that works.

But in my eyes why not make them attractive? In Dead Or Alive all the chicks are hot af(Ayane) but none of them are unrealistically busty.

I would never get offended even if their breasts were larger than their body, though that would make the game a joke right off the bat. But like the first pic in the OP when their features are exaggerated that much it isn't that attractive, it seems like it's trying too hard to be.

#138 Posted by Slashless (10090 posts) -

Offended: No.

Made me scoff at the laziness of the design: yes

#139 Posted by parkurtommo (26470 posts) -

But in my eyes why not make them attractive? In Dead Or Alive all the chicks are hot af(Ayane) but none of them are unrealistically busty.

lol

They are unrealistically busty.

#140 Posted by _Judas_ (717 posts) -

i simply submit this video

AA-HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! At one point, the word tits lost all meaning.....frightening...

Anyway; Offended? No.

#141 Edited by Pffrbt (6528 posts) -

@handssss said:

Also, Soul Calibur? Yeah that franchise has this as well, but you don't see us guys freaking out about it.

Probably because Voldo is a fucking weirdo and not meant to actually be attractive to anyone. Pick a better example.

#142 Edited by Heirren (16545 posts) -

So now we want Laura Croft to be a big woman? Lets be realistic here a larger person can't adventure that long they don't have the energy and we've already got people complaining about six hour campaigns. I can see maybe having a large woman in a racing game but in most things it is just unrealistic.

#143 Edited by OhSnapitz (18111 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

@handssss said:

@KBFloYd said:

nope

Yup! perhaps before your time.

#144 Edited by melonfarmerz (1125 posts) -

Um, as a feminist, this clearly sets an unobtainable image for women. It makes us feel bad about our image. If video game guys were like this, you suppressive men of the patriarchy would be even more angry and rattled.

#145 Posted by melonfarmerz (1125 posts) -

@93BlackHawk93: Damn didn't see your post. Though my post was original and clever :'(

#146 Posted by millerlight89 (18347 posts) -

Offended? Lol no. I do find it lame. It's nothing more than a selling point for lonely gamers. I've always found it amusing to see male gamers getting aroused by digital characters. PC gamers are the absolute worst regarding this. I mean that's pretty much the first mods to come out for bethesda games.

#147 Posted by Pedro (21037 posts) -

Um, as a feminist, this clearly sets an unobtainable image for women. It makes us feel bad about our image. If video game guys were like this, you suppressive men of the patriarchy would be even more angry and rattled.

Your point is mute because the vast majority of games DO NOT SEXUALIZE men. Please try again.

#148 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70672 posts) -

Nope, not ever. They're not real, so why would i be offended?

#149 Edited by faizanhd (186 posts) -

I'm never bothered by appearence.

But I would be bothered if women are shown as weak and unintelligent. I personally have yet to play such a game. But I have never played Leisure Suit Larry though. So...........

#150 Posted by parkurtommo (26470 posts) -

@Pedro said:

@melonfarmerz said:

Your point is mute because the vast majority of games DO NOT SEXUALIZE men. Please try again.

Most games that have "sexualized" designs apply them to both genders.... Because it's logical.

I don't really recall seeing any gams where the men look normal but the women look unrealistically attractive.