Epic Games Store 2020 Year in Review - 56 million monthly active users and other stats!

• 69 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45122 Posts

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/news/epic-games-store-2020-year-in-review

Damn, looks like Epic is on a roll. Seems to be gaining ground on Steam. Have you jumped on the Epic train, SW? I'll take free games 😎

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44566 Posts

How many users are Chinese bots designed to manipulate stock price?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

I downloaded it to buy Borderlands 3. Then i asked myself, do i really want to waste 1m of my life creating an account to have YET ANOTHER user name and password? So i said f it, deleted it and never looked back.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Steam had 120 million right now this isn't even half of that and its trash anyway.

I only game on Steam I only buy games steam I don't go to GoG I don't go to Epic I don't go blizzard store f your not steam anymore your done I don't go to EA Betheseda or Ubisoft or rock stars if your not on Steam I am not gonna play or buy your game. I'll play one of the other 20,000 PC games and you can do what you want.

I'll do what I want.

and Solid don't put 160Million+ on the thumbnail when you only had 56 million active users steam had 120 million steam probably billions of overall users over the whole period that number was made to try to make steam look bad.

I'm not buying shit unless its on Steam.

I got Steam forums, I got ratings, I got message boards, I got good deals, I got cd keys, I can get 100% refunds back into my bank account, I got online, I got game hour tracking. I got everything IM NOT GOING ANYWHERE ELSE EVER!

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#5 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15925 Posts

I will take free games.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

I only care about the free games. If I'm not mistaken the only games I have bought are The Outer Worlds and Mechwarrior 5 and I have like around 170 games in my library.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7271 Posts

@sakaixx: Me too. I'm there for free stuff, haven't paid for anything yet.

That said, if Epic were to add features and improve the store, I would consider buying stuff there. Right now Steam is just better, and GOG is DRMless.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14803 Posts

I knew who TC was before entering the thread (from mobile). How much is CCP paying you to shill for Tencent? :P

I'm cheap, I rarely purchase games on day one. It's more knowing I'm not in the mood to play a game right away, so I might as well wait for sale kind of deal. But even I won't claim Epic's free games. An unpopular opinion I suppose but whatever. I might consider using their store if they can at least match what Steam offers in terms of features. I also use GOG and Blizzard regularly, and have Origin and Uplay accounts. Don't need another client, especially one that only offers exclusivity or desperate giveaways.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1858 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

How many users are Chinese bots designed to manipulate stock price?

lol.

@ProtossRushX said:

Steam had 120 million right now this isn't even half of that and its trash anyway.

I only game on Steam I only buy games steam I don't go to GoG I don't go to Epic I don't go blizzard store f your not steam anymore your done I don't go to EA Betheseda or Ubisoft or rock stars if your not on Steam I am not gonna play or buy your game. I'll play one of the other 20,000 PC games and you can do what you want.

I'll do what I want.

and Solid don't put 160Million+ on the thumbnail when you only had 56 million active users steam had 120 million steam probably billions of overall users over the whole period that number was made to try to make steam look bad.

I'm not buying shit unless its on Steam.

I got Steam forums, I got ratings, I got message boards, I got good deals, I got cd keys, I can get 100% refunds back into my bank account, I got online, I got game hour tracking. I got everything IM NOT GOING ANYWHERE ELSE EVER!

Well no one is forcing you to game on Epic, just like no one is forcing you to use any other storefronts. You need to chill out with the Epic Game Store hate.

@SOedipus said:

I knew who TC was before entering the thread (from mobile). How much is CCP paying you to shill for Tencent? :P

I'm cheap, I rarely purchase games on day one. It's more knowing I'm not in the mood to play a game right away, so I might as well wait for sale kind of deal. But even I won't claim Epic's free games. An unpopular opinion I suppose but whatever. I might consider using their store if they can at least match what Steam offers in terms of features. I also use GOG and Blizzard regularly, and have Origin and Uplay accounts. Don't need another client, especially one that only offers exclusivity or desperate giveaways.

I don't think he's shilling. I think he just likes to meme salty Steam users.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34616 Posts

I grab the free games, then I'm out as fast as possible. I cringe a bit when using the launcher to play one of those games, but it doesn't happen often.

Actually buying anything from Epic? lol, hell naw.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52429 Posts

Grabbed quite a few free games. Played none of them.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#12 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58979 Posts

They rely on bribery rather than actual features and service.

Steam kewl.

Duckyindiana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Duckyindiana
Member since 2006 • 3040 Posts

My god you Americans have really been brainwashed into hating China

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46309 Posts

Epic reports $700M in spending (no mention of either profits or losses, just like last year). $265M of that was from third party games on their store, leaving the remaining $435M coming from Fortnite, as Epic classifies purchases in that game as EGS purchases. As a result of this it is unclear whether or not EGS could stand on its own without Fortnite.

And while the company gleefully reports its performance with free games and its increase in users, spending on third party games (i.e. exclusives) and spending overall is around where it was last year

Basically, a lot of people are playing games acquired through the Epic Games Store, but not a lot of people are actually buying them.

Some important caveats

People just come for the free games, they aren't actually buying that many games.

Most spending on there is, you guess it: Fortnite V-bucks

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 R4gn4r0k

@Duckyindiana said:

My god you Americans have really been brainwashed into hating China

System wars, keep politics out of here please.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

They rely on bribery rather than actual features and service.

Steam kewl.

Didn't Steam bribe it's way into out hearts with those sweet Steam sales they used to do.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By uninspiredcup

@gym_lion: Steam originated as a method to automatically update games, prevent piracy and cheating. What got people using it (much like Fortnite) was this -

Ironically, the original Steam was about as bare bones as it's competitors now.

In 2003.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

I remember having to install it to play HL2. Wasn't very popular at the time if I remember correctly.

@uninspiredcup said:

@gym_lion: Steam originated as a method to automatically update games, prevent piracy and cheating. What got people using it (much like Fortnite) was this -

In 2003.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

@Duckyindiana: Don’t point out that they’re brainwashed.

I find it hilarious that they hold guns, invade and kill and at the same time scream about human rights from their thrones of righteousness.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By uninspiredcup

@gym_lion: It wasn't. New concept for most gamers.

But that was 2003 and Valve built upon it to change that perception to make it a service people would want.

This is 2020 and Uplay, Origin, and Epic Store, are all vapidly imitating it without the features nor the earned goodwill.

Gabe Newell has said repeatedly over the years the consumer comes first and this can be proven by looking at their practices throughout the years.

Can we say the same for Ubisoft, EA or Epic?

-

Hell, recently, their little spat with Apple. They purposefully ahead of time, manufactured a hashtash and video to weaponize their user-base.

Valve wouldn't need to do that, at all. And probably wouldn't in the first place.

It was all about rich people, upset other rich people, where denying them to be richer.

Not "the little guy" in some David VS Goliath type shit, rich cunts. Having a fight the rich people nursery, hoping the little goobers who play Fortnite would be foot-soldiers.

That alone is both risible and morally bankrupt.

Not saying Valve are saints, but compared to the hoard around them in this snake of industry, one of the better ones.

Duckyindiana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Duckyindiana

@R4gn4r0k: Didn’t feel like say that to others above then? Clearly proves my point but I won’t say a word again on it

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@uninspiredcup said:

In 2003.

The most popular oline game of its time.

And it didn't rely on selling battle passes and microtransactions and skins.

What you see is what you get.

What a time.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8472 Posts

Nice that looks like really good numbers and seems like Epic is finally going to compete with Steam....until you get to: DRUM ROLL...this stat:

Gamers spend on third part games: Measly $265M. Just to put things in perspective, their 2019 numbers were $251M. So almost no growth at all even during the COVID period.

Probably even GoG makes more than that. Only 30ish percent of the users are actually using 'teh store'. I keep saying that the audience and all those numbers on EGS is mostly just Fortnite players/kids. The audience who buy games just aren't there on EGS. Epic would just have to wait until these kids grow up and hope that they start buying games as well in may be 10 or so years.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PC_Rocks

@luxuryheart said:

Nah, he's a bu*thurt cow and would cling to any and everything to have something over PC gamers and always gets his a$$ handed over to him every time. He's extra salty after Sony started putting games on PC.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 R4gn4r0k

@pc_rocks said:

Nice that looks like really good numbers and seems like Epic is finally going to compete with Steam....until you get to: DRUM ROLL...this stat:

Gamers spend on third part games: Measly $265M. Just to put things in perspective, their 2019 numbers were $251M. So almost no growth at all even during the COVID period.

Probably even GoG makes more than that. Only 30ish percent of the users are actually using 'teh store'. I keep saying that the audience and all those numbers on EGS is mostly just Fortnite players/kids. The audience who buy games just aren't there on EGS. Epic would just have to wait until these kids grow up and hope that they start buying games as well in may be 10 or so years.

Yup, such a small increase. And keep in mind Epic is spending hundreds of thousands, if not millions on exclusivity deals.

I guess PC gamers really did put their money where their mouth is this time:

They aren't a fan of Epic buying exclusives.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

I'd hate to see what would happen to EGS once Fortnite dies.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34616 Posts

@jasonofa36 said:

Maybe they'd be forced to do something good.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SolidGame_basic

@R4gn4r0k said:
@pc_rocks said:

Yup, such a small increase. And keep in mind Epic is spending hundreds of thousands, if not millions on exclusivity deals.

Well, it's $265 for third party. How many third party games does it have compared to Steam? Meanwhile, it's probably killing it with Fortnite.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 R4gn4r0k

@SolidGame_basic said:

Well, it's $265 for third party. How many third party games does it have compared to Steam? Meanwhile, it's probably killing it with Fortnite.

The difference between Steam and Epic is this:

Steam has the largest amount of games of any PC store. If a game release, chances are big you can buy it from Steam.

Epic relies on buying exclusives (Hitman 3, Metro, Ubisoft games), so people can't buy on Steam and lure them to their store.

In 2020 their third party sales ($265m) have barely gone up.

This is an indication of their strategy not working.

Because Steam (as per their blog) has had a tremendous increase in third party sales, even if they lacked all these games that were bought up by Epic.

Also, Epic is using this strategy, which is a very expensive one, in order to make money in the long term.

So far this isn't working.

I'm not reading these numbers as the success story you are, my dude.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SolidGame_basic

@R4gn4r0k said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

The difference between Steam and Epic is this:

Steam has the largest amount of games of any PC store. If a game release, chances are big you can buy it from Steam.

Epic relies on buying exclusives (Hitman 3, Metro, Ubisoft games), so people can't buy on Steam and lure them to their store.

In 2020 their third party sales ($265m) have barely gone up.

This is an indication of their strategy not working.

Because Steam (as per their blog) has had a tremendous increase in third party sales, even if they lacked all these games that were bought up by Epic.

Also, Epic is using this strategy, which is a very expensive one, in order to make money in the long term.

So far this isn't working.

I'm not reading these numbers as the success story you are, my dude.

I don't think Epic's timed exclusives really matter. Those aren't really big selling games to begin with and are far and few in-between. I'm just saying you're comparing the world's biggest PC store (Steam) to an up and coming store as if Steam wasn't supposed to sell more 3rd party games 😄

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 R4gn4r0k

@SolidGame_basic said:

I don't think Epic's timed exclusives really matter. Those aren't really big selling games to begin with and are far and few in-between. I'm just saying you're comparing the world's biggest PC store (Steam) to an up and coming store as if Steam wasn't supposed to sell more 3rd party games 😄

Unlike other PC stores: humble bundle, discord, Uplay, Origin, GOG etc... Epic is spending hundreds of thousands if not millions to get developers to not publish their games on steam (For at least a year, or in some cases a few months (Borderlands, RDR2)).

Their strategy is directly targeting the Steam audience. As suddenly buying your game wherever you want is not possible: it's either on Epic, or not at all.

This new strategy, agressively targeting steam audience, is not working so far.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SolidGame_basic

@R4gn4r0k said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Unlike other PC stores: humble bundle, discord, Uplay, Origin, GOG etc... Epic is spending hundreds of thousands if not millions to get developers to not publish their games on steam (For at least a year, or in some cases a few months (Borderlands, RDR2)).

Their strategy is directly targeting the Steam audience. As suddenly buying your game wherever you want is not possible: it's either on Epic, or not at all.

This new strategy, agressively targeting steam audience, is not working so far.

It's working like MS's strategy of buying Game Pass filler games is working 😆

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@SolidGame_basic said:

It's working like MS's strategy of buying Game Pass filler games is working 😆

I was thinking about gamepass the other day.

Remedy and Microsoft used to be best buddies. They made Alan Wake and Quantum Break together, I love those games.

Now the situation is totally different:

Gamepass is getting the regular edition of Control, so no enhanced edition for next gen Xbox consoles.

Playstation Plus however is getting the enhanced edition, and it's included in the regular online subscription.

Also as a closer:

I'm glad if Epic's way of handling this turns out to not be working.

It's against the PC mindset to gate off everything.

PC gamers want free choice of parts, stores, gaming services.

Remember how Microsoft tried to force GFWL on PC players?

yeah that didn't go very well.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 PC_Rocks
@R4gn4r0k said:

More like tens of millions, easily. I mean they offer to cover 'lost sales' from not being on Steam. That alone makes it 12M for one $60 game for buying 200000 copies, if not more. All that is in addition to what they offer to buy the exclusive in the first place.

Duckyindiana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Duckyindiana

@SolidGame_basic: Aww can’t help bring up Microsoft can you they must always be on your mind.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 R4gn4r0k

@pc_rocks said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

More like tens of millions, easily. I mean they offer to cover 'lost sales' from not being on Steam. That alone makes it 12M for one $60 game for buying 200000 copies, if not more. All that is in addition to what they offer to buy the exclusive in the first place.

Aww man, I hope Epic will have enough (Fortnite) money left for the publishing deals they made with Remedy, Playdead and Gen Design.

I'm really looking forward to Alan Wake 2.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58319 Posts

The Epic Game Store exists solely to pad the numbers of Tencent-Epic and make it look better than it is.

People log on, grab their free game, then log off and don't use it. That's a "monthly user".

@hardwenzen said:

I downloaded it to buy Borderlands 3. Then i asked myself, do i really want to waste 1m of my life creating an account to have YET ANOTHER user name and password? So i said f it, deleted it and never looked back.

Me too haha. Unfortunately I did make an account and bought one game but I got it on Steam a year later for like 20 bucks so no biggie. This was back when I wanted to give them a chance and had high hopes. Oh, you young naive fool, Bojangles...

@gym_lion said:

I remember having to install it to play HL2. Wasn't very popular at the time if I remember correctly.

@uninspiredcup said:

In 2003.

No, I wasn't a fan of Steam either. But I changed my tune quickly as they made it a great service, a great marketplace, and a great hub for gaming within a short time.

Meanwhile, Epic is here two years later, and is still the epic piece of crap it was when it first started, offering little to no services, mod support, limited game library.

Oh, and corrupt exclusivity contracts that do nothing for gaming in general except deny people the choice to purchase a game where they like. It's anti-consumer and capitalism* at its worst.

*Not a communist, and I like capitalism when it works as intended, but not when manipulated like this.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Lol, yeah. My monthly logons to "buy" a freebie through their shopping cart and then log off is really meaningful "active player" data.

That being said - I'll probably play Tyranny on there soon - it's been on my list

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 uninspiredcup

@xantufrog said:

Lol, yeah. My monthly logons to "buy" a freebie through their shopping cart and then log off is really meaningful "active player" data.

That being said - I'll probably play Tyranny on there soon - it's been on my list

Jesus, forgot had this.

Heard it's really good as well, better than Pillars.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 xantufrog  Moderator

@uninspiredcup: yeah it looks like a good fresh spin on the themes of the genre, and I read it's actually a decent length instead of a 300 hour commitment (which takes me too long these days)

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 uninspiredcup

@xantufrog: Yep. I like Pillars, but holy shit did it drag. Rather get something closer to KOTOR 2 length where it's a 30-50 hours.

mirautaj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mirautaj
Member since 2006 • 365 Posts

I'm kinda surprised by the 700M spent on EGS. Didnt Fortnite alone make 2.5 Billion in 2018 and 1.8 Billion in 2019?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@mirautaj: and it's only 265M for the vast majority of games on the store (3rd party). The 700M is for all games (this means the majority of the raw income is Epic games, and yet that only amounts to 435M). Moreover, although they don't specify, the language suggests those figures include DLC/microtransactions.

In other words - EGS isn't actually doing very well with PC gamers and is primarily being accessed for a tiny percentage of the global Fortnite purchases and to claim freebies.

Avatar image for deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
deactivated-60c3d23d2738e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
Member since 2009 • 3934 Posts

@Duckyindiana: people here bitching about Epic aren't from America.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56115 Posts

I only use EGS when I need to and not my primarily client, but it serves its purpose for me if its a game I cannot play anywhere else for the time being. GoG & Steam are my primarily clients but GoG first, Steam seconds...if GoG doesn't have the game day one of course.

For the record, I don't have a love/hate for EGS, if a game is their and I can't play it on GoG or Steam, then I'll go to EGS. (Uplay, Origin, ect will be treated the same way)

Edit: I never say no to free games either😊

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56115 Posts

@pc_rocks said:
@luxuryheart said:

Nah, he's a bu*thurt cow and would cling to any and everything to have something over PC gamers and always gets his a$$ handed over to him every time. He's extra salty after Sony started putting games on PC.

To be fair, SolidGame does have a PC, he just doesn't use it that much as he does with his PS5 due to AAA exclusives. But what I find him amusing is that he's trying really hard to put Sony number 1 on SW even though we PC gamers still walks all over him lol. Now that's funny😂🤣

@jasonofa36 said:

Fortnite will never die. Its so popular, anyone can just play it and even my daughter plays it all the time on her PC.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#48 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

Yeah,free games are great,already have almost 100 and haven't bought anything there. I imagine a significant part of those numbers are just that.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SolidGame_basic

@davillain- said:
@pc_rocks said:
@luxuryheart said:

To be fair, SolidGame does have a PC, he just doesn't use it that much as he does with his PS5 due to AAA exclusives. But what I find him amusing is that he's trying really hard to put Sony number 1 on SW even though we PC gamers still walks all over him lol. Now that's funny😂🤣

@jasonofa36 said:

Fortnite will never die. Its so popular, anyone can just play it and even my daughter plays it all the time on her PC.

And I'm the one that's butthurt? lol!

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 R4gn4r0k

@Arach666 said:

Yeah,free games are great,already have almost 100 and haven't bought anything there. I imagine a significant part of those numbers are just that.

Yup:

Basically, a lot of people are playing games acquired through the Epic Games Store, but not a lot of people are actually buying them.