Elite:Dangerous E3 trailer Star Fox who?LOL

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

400 Billion Star Systems -

Infinite Freedom -

Blaze your own trail.

Elite: Dangerous trailer showcasing the vast scope and freedom available in the world's largest gaming sandbox.

Don't forget the explorable stations and cities

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 GodspellWH
Member since 2013 • 1078 Posts

Was starting to feel jelly of Wii U getting Star Fox

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Pretty cool. But why 400 billion star systems?

Even if you could visit 1 per second and played for 30 years straight, you'd only see one billion.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

That looked pretty sweet.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

Even if you could visit 1 per second and played for 30 years straight, you'd only see one billion.

welcome to the actual size of space

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

Really impressive,the PC really is making a killing with all those upcoming high end exclusives like Elite,Star Citizen,Fortnite or Unreal Tournament just to mention a few.

Elite looks unbelievable.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ConanTheStoner

@wis3boi said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

Cool... but why put that in game form though? Who is ever going to experience even 0.00001 percent of that?

Not hating on the game, it just seems like a silly bullet point to use.

st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 st1ka
Member since 2008 • 8179 Posts

Kind of silly to compare the two, they're two completely different genres. It's like saying COD and Deus Ex are the same game because they have guns

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

That trailer made it look fantastic. I've been wanting a game like this for a while, i just hope the controls and interface are top notch.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

I would actually love to see star fox go in this direction.
the 4 characters are mercenaries....its a perfect setup for such a game. you have you own base of operations in the main ship (name escapes me). you could go out, recruit new pilots, send them out on missions, go out yourself and complete missions or just explore and so on.

the wiiu gamepad would be a very ice addition for managing trading, crew rosters and so on. you could be flying about and be notified on the pad that a missions has been completed by one of your pilots so, without interrupting your own flight, you could send them out on another mission or get them to catch up with you or whatever.

the gamepad itself would also make an excellent controller for flight. it has full motion sensing capability as well as the two sticks.

there is nothing like it on consoles and i think it could work really well on the wiiu.

elite dangerous does look awesome...will be buying at or close to launch.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#12 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@MrYaotubo said:

Really impressive,the PC really is making a killing with all those upcoming high end exclusives like Elite,Star Citizen,Fortnite or Unreal Tournament just to mention a few.

Elite looks unbelievable.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

I'll be enjoying Elite Dangerous and Star Fox

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GodspellWH
Member since 2013 • 1078 Posts

hopefully it released this year cross fingers*

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

PC wins again

-Blasphemy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By -Blasphemy-
Member since 2005 • 3369 Posts

no way this game is really that big and who or what exactly are you fighting

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheFadeForever

2014 is the expected release year

BloodyTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BloodyTides
Member since 2014 • 239 Posts

@-Blasphemy- said:

better believe it and you fight pirates, faction, or anybody you want its all about freedom

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts

*edit*

I just realized I typed up a wall of text in a thread where it is basically off topic. Having said that, E:D looks good and I am looking forward to it. New thread incoming!

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheFadeForever

@-Blasphemy- said:

Yes its that big lol

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

Now does this run on 1080p/60 fps? That's the real question. /sarcasm

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

There wasn't really much gameplay in that. In these space shooting sims I need to see hands on to get a sense of what you actually do. That looked pretty but that's about it.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

@ActicEdge said:

There wasn't really much gameplay in that. In these space shooting sims I need to see hands on to get a sense of what you actually do. That looked pretty but that's about it.

If you had played any previous games in the genre from all sorts of series you´d know what to expect,it´s not like what they´re doing is a surprise to everyone,especially folks that played the original Elite,or any of the X series games,Freelancer,Wing Commander,Evochron Mercenary,Freespace 2,etc,same applies to any doubts about what Star Citizen is,Wing Commander and Freelancer especially should give a pretty good idea.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

*sniff* I'm so happy that the space sim genre is returning. Elite looks awesome.

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TheFadeForever

@ActicEdge said:

There are tons of gameplay videos for this game on youtube

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CroidX
Member since 2013 • 1561 Posts

nice looking good

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By haberman13
Member since 2003 • 2414 Posts

My most anticipated game.

Almost bought the $150 beta to wet my appetite ...

Elite + oculus rift is equivalent to the invention of television!

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ActicEdge

@MrYaotubo said:

@ActicEdge said:

If you had played any previous games in the genre from all sorts of series you´d know what to expect,it´s not like what they´re doing is a surprise to everyone,especially folks that played the original Elite,or any of the X series games,Freelancer,Wing Commander,Evochron Mercenary,Freespace 2,etc,same applies to any doubts about what Star Citizen is,Wing Commander and Freelancer especially should give a pretty good idea.

I never said I had doubts. I said that what was provided in the opening was a bunch of visual fluff. I wasn't aware I was suppose to look up a bunch of different games to comment on what TC put in the OP. I have an idea of what the game will play like just by nature but know as an example, a shooter involves shooting, yet that doesn't mean that its going to do it well. Thar's the point I'm making.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ActicEdge

@TheFadeForever said:

@ActicEdge said:

Sure but I'm not trying to go and fully research a game to comment on the video OP posted. I dunno why everyone is pointing to watching unrelated videos to what was presented. I never made a comment on the quality of the game, just that that trailer showed a lot of nothing.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

@wis3boi said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

Cool... but why put that in game form though? Who is ever going to experience even 0.00001 percent of that?

Same reason the program Space Engine does the entire known universe (hundreds of billions of galaxies with hundreds of billions of systems each), because it's fun to explore.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ConanTheStoner

@wis3boi said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

@wis3boi said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

Same reason the program Space Engine does the entire known universe (hundreds of billions of galaxies with hundreds of billions of systems each), because it's fun to explore.

Haha, I mean I get that. Sorry man, not trying to drag this out.

It's just that this goes way beyond what any human could feasibly explore even if they spent the rest of their life playing it. Nobody will ever possibly see even 1% of this game. Guess it just seems pointless to me.

At least it's an ironclad guarantee that you'll never be short on content though. :P

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Timstuff

Elite is looking quite impressive these days. Not quite as impressive visually as Star Citizen, although from what I have seen and read, and being a Star Citizen alpha player, Elite is supposedly feeling like a much more hardcore space sim at the moment. I am sure that SC will start catching up as it goes deeper into development and gets cleaned up and refined more, but I definitely look forward to playing both games.

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheFadeForever

@ActicEdge said:

@TheFadeForever said:

@ActicEdge said:

Sure but I'm not trying to go and fully research a game to comment on the video OP posted. I dunno why everyone is pointing to watching unrelated videos to what was presented. I never made a comment on the quality of the game, just that that trailer showed a lot of nothing.

A lot of E3 trailer didn't show a whole lot from what I recalled and you can easily just go Frontier Development youtube channel to see more gameplay videos

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

Holy shnikeys, this looks incredible! If only they buttholes weren't charging $150 to take part in the beta I'd sign up today! Once it hits the market I'll have a great reason to plug the x52 in.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#35  Edited By adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

@jer_1 said:

Holy shnikeys, this looks incredible! If only they buttholes weren't charging $150 to take part in the beta I'd sign up today! Once it hits the market I'll have a great reason to plug the x52 in.

Same here ( hell we are helping in the development of a game and they want more money than the final product and that goes for other games as well not just Elite ) . Thankfully once released it will be just $35

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Sounds like an infinite Number of ways to bore someone to death.....

Whats with people and sheer quantity... ?

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Timstuff

@Lulu_Lulu said:

There are pros and cons to the way Elite: Dangerous is doing things. On the one hand, you will never actually run out of places to explore, but on the other hand, after a while it is inevitable that the game is going to run out of surprises unless they keep developing new content and adding things to their procedural generation algorithms. I know some people will cringe at the the comparison, but it's a bit like playing Minecraft's survival mode-- everything is generated by the game so you'll never run into the exact same thing twice, but on the other hand you can only explore so many procedural generated caves and landscapes before they start to feel samey, and it's the occasional bit of new content that gets people to go back.

Elite is a niche game, and it's not going to be for everyone, not unlike how flight simulators are not for everyone. Elite actually has a lot of action unlike FSX, however there's a lot of people who just enjoy the opportunity to pretend that they're a pilot in space, drifting through the cosmos. The point of procedural generation in this game is not so much that it will provide players with unlimited content, but rather it ensures that they will never hit an invisible wall while they are out exploring.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

@Timstuff said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

There are pros and cons to the way Elite: Dangerous is doing things. On the one hand, you will never actually run out of places to explore, but on the other hand, after a while it is inevitable that the game is going to run out of surprises unless they keep developing new content and adding things to their procedural generation algorithms. I know some people will cringe at the the comparison, but it's a bit like playing Minecraft's survival mode-- everything is generated by the game so you'll never run into the exact same thing twice, but on the other hand you can only explore so many procedural generated caves and landscapes before they start to feel samey, and it's the occasional bit of new content that gets people to go back.

Elite is a niche game, and it's not going to be for everyone, not unlike how flight simulators are not for everyone. Elite actually has a lot of action unlike FSX, however there's a lot of people who just enjoy the opportunity to pretend that they're a pilot in space, drifting through the cosmos. The point of procedural generation in this game is not so much that it will provide players with unlimited content, but rather it ensures that they will never hit an invisible wall while they are out exploring.

From what i was reading on their website that is actually what they will be doing and they plan to continue supporting and adding stuff to the base game for years to come ( they even said dont expect a new elite any time soon or ever for what it matters ).

g0ddyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts

Space games like that are always done best on PC. Starfox is like the arcade novelty form for kids.
Another epic game for PC.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Lulu_Lulu

@Timstuff

They should Go with User Generated Content...... Its far more effective.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Lulu_Lulu

@Timstuff

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@g0ddyX: Hey, hermits and sheeps should be working together. PCWiiU is the best combination this gen. Add Xbox One if you like Forza or Halo, and add PS4 if you like cinematic games with bad storytelling. Add 3DS if you like games period, and add Vita if you want to get ripped by overpriced memory cards.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#43 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Timstuff

No it's not. Most user created content is terrible and developing and maintaining a system that effectively filters out the trash is an extremely expensive and difficult processes.

I love mods for games but I don't bet on them ever being great or making a game good. They are just bonuses, not something to build a game platform around.

Procedural generation has a lot more going for it. It can be a much more controlled experience than you believe. It can lead to unlimited gameplay and be extremely dynamic and unique without getting boring. Take the AI from a robust Grand Strategy game which can make large scale decisions and ensure that no two playthroughs are ever the same then apply procedurally generated content for them to work with and as long as that AI can make decisions based upon analyzing that content the game will remain fresh.

You seem to have written it off in favor of something that has proven time and time again is just a waste of time. Games with a focus on custom content like Little Big Planet never got extremely popular for a reason.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts
@Wasdie said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Timstuff

No it's not. Most user created content is terrible and developing and maintaining a system that effectively filters out the trash is an extremely expensive and difficult processes.

I love mods for games but I don't bet on them ever being great or making a game good. They are just bonuses, not something to build a game platform around.

Procedural generation has a lot more going for it. It can be a much more controlled experience than you believe. It can lead to unlimited gameplay and be extremely dynamic and unique without getting boring. Take the AI from a robust Grand Strategy game which can make large scale decisions and ensure that no two playthroughs are ever the same then apply procedurally generated content for them to work with and as long as that AI can make decisions based upon analyzing that content the game will remain fresh.

You seem to have written it off in favor of something that has proven time and time again is just a waste of time. Games with a focus on custom content like Little Big Planet never got extremely popular for a reason.

Which makes me really cautiously curious about the newest Unreal Tournament game by Epic.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Wasdie  Moderator

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Which makes me really cautiously curious about the newest Unreal Tournament game by Epic.

Same.

Given enough time I'm sure the game will turn into something amazing. However that will take time. If Epic is going to leave the majority of the maps and game modes up to the players and just focus on the core mechanics, it could be a few years before Unreal Tournament is a really great game.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

@Wasdie said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Timstuff

I agree that procedurally generated content, in this case at least, seems like a good fit.

But what you say here is just utterly, utterly wrong. System to maintain and create user created content exist already, and if not, the community tends to do a good job of highlighting the best content anyway.

Back to Elite: I don't see why people are all bent out of shape at the daunting size of the Galaxy. It's not like ALL there is to engage with are the randomly generated systems. Elite will feature hundreds o fhand crafted systems with complex economies in human populated sectors, with thousands of other systems nearby that will get at least some attention from the devs. The rest is simply out there for those who want to pursue it. It's completely tangential to the main gameplay.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Lulu_Lulu

@Wasdie

UGC is only as good as the tools the developers release to create the content with......

I wasn't talking about mods and anything that requires some level of programming.....

I'm talking about stuff like Minecraft and Little Big Planet...... I'm pretty sure the gaming community is far more capable of elagant designs than some stupid algorithm designed to be random.....

Humans don't like random.... We don't like things to get repititve but we definately don't like Random, and if the developers run out of ideas then at the very least they should give the community to easily come up with their own instead of putting all there eggs in the RNG Basket......

It may never be popular but if you think something thats unlimited only in a technical sense can outdo human engenuity then you're wrong........

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Wasdie  Moderator

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Wasdie

UGC is only as good as the tools the developers release to create the content with......

I wasn't talking about mods and anything that requires some level of programming.....

I'm talking about stuff like Minecraft and Little Big Planet...... I'm pretty sure the gaming community is far more capable of elagant designs than some stupid algorithm designed to be random.....

Humans don't like random.... We don't like things to get repititve but we definately don't like Random, and if the developers run out of ideas then at the very least they should give the community to easily come up with their own instead of putting all there eggs in the RNG Basket......

It may never be popular but if you think something thats unlimited only in a technical sense can outdo human engenuity then you're wrong........

Minecraft doesn't have user generated content like you're saying. The whole game revolves around building. That's not the same as a game like LBP where the users are given assets to create content with that can then be shared with other players.

Procedural generation is not random, it's procedural. It uses a robust set of rules and variables (a defined procedure) to create well constrained content. Minecraft uses a very basic form of procedural generation to generate the environments but procedural generation can be used for gameplay elements like creating new and dynamic quests or missions, generate new assets like new weapons, ships, vehicles, in addition to terrain.

Procedural generation is often patterned. Stuff generated with the same variables (seeds) is going to come out the same. Slight changes of that seed can only slightly alter parts of the generation leaving the base patterns the same.

Procedural generation can go far beyond that of assets creation. It can basically generate AI routines and create new and unique AI profiles have behave in their own way. Of course this could break easily which is why developers always limit the variables of the algorithms.

There is a game coming out called Limit Theory where everything in the game is procedurally generated. It's like Elite Dangerous but taken to the next level. Not only is the universe completely procedural, all of the spaceships and stations are procedural . The AI is procedural as well. They have their own goals that are generated for them and then they act on them in their own unique ways based upon how they were procedurally created. Limitations, boundaries, and guildlines are hard programmed into the game to give the game purpose and gameplay, but as you play everything that you do and see is completely unique yet follows the same patterns. Economies are created and destroyed based upon supply and demand that is generated from the AI trying to accomplish their goals. You can have direct influence on this by injecting your own missions, supply, and demand onto the system and the AI will react dynamically to it and try to cope.

User generated content is great but it has vast limitations. The tools being the first limitation. The second being players will to create the content. The third is effective distribution of this content. It's a pretty big dead end if you ask me as most people do not want to work to play their video games.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Lulu_Lulu

I really need to stop trying to juggle three arguments simultaneously.... Its stretching me far too thin....

@Wasdie

Anyway what people build in Minecraft is technically still generated by a user..... so.....

Yeah I made a mistake, I know what what Procedural Generation really is I was just focused under the context of what developers are planning on using it for.

Anyway, "Dynamic" is sugar coating the real purpose of Procedural Generation, Repeat Recycle Resuse........ I know games are getting much longer and a things are getting much bigger, you need to understand why that is...... The obvious answer is Padding, anything past the 12 hour threshold is going to have some padding in it and thats where PG comes in, it "creates" either the same crap the developers don't want to by themselves or they can modify the algorithim to repeat the process differently under a limited set of parameters, and I mean really limited, its why even a few as 5 variations can all begin not to matter. Because as powerfull as computers are.... They are not smart, its why they have such a narrow set of parameters that they can do their magic in and thats PG's Limit...... You can only teach it to repeat and not to Repeat as it creates..... Even the stuff thats appears random is not really random unless they use something like Pi ...... Its only as smart as the pattern the developers put into it........ All its good for is Padding the living crap out everything, up to infinity.

How however humans are pretty smart, they're not braindead algorithims designed to repeat a process, they learn.... They don't just create they are creative ! Which means if they were presented with the same task of generating content they have a wider access and can fiddle with even more more Parameters than PG can...... Users won't create lots of longer and bigger content.... They'l create BETTER content, better quests or missions ,weapons, ships, vehicles or terrain.

PG can do new but UGC can do better......

I don't why anybody would want a game to be soooooooo looooooooooooooong,

but as Capable as Procedural Genaration is at Providing that, Single User can create something thats just more fun to experience and if quantity is an issue then imagine what a commnunity of users can do, I'm pretty sure if minecraft and its users were repurposed to create content for Elite Dangerous you would never be able to playeven half of it, which I'm sure we'l be far more entertaining than any of its Procedurally Generated content.

Face it man... Skynet won't win this round, victory belongs to the Resistance !

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#50 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Okay, that's good they can procedurally generate a stupid number of randomized star systems.

Star Citizen is still going to be the game to beat for space sims.