DS2 Will Have GameCube Power

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

drakecool1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 drakecool1
Member since 2009 • 1145 Posts

so what do you all think Yay or Nay ?

Website RPAD dig up information on Nintendo's handheld successors at the Game Developers Conference, they spoke with several third-party developers, and according to their findings the DS2 look a lot like current Nintendo handheld, only with better screens and better performance.

• The system has two screens, just like the DS, but they are bigger and higher resolution. I'm sure most of you could have guessed that, but the interesting part is that the gap between the two screens is negligible. Developers will be able to use them as one giant screen.
  • The next Nintendo handheld has an accelerometer.
  • The dev kit is similar in power to the GameCube. Developers that worked on GameCube or Wii games will find it easy to create with. I found this information unusual. The DS successor is rumored to use an Nvidia Tegra chip, while the GameCube and Wii have PowerPC CPUs and ATI GPUs. The people familiar with the dev kit made it sound like there wasn't much of a learning curve on the new system.
  • The developers I spoke with will be finished with their games before the end of the year. The Nintendo DS is still going strong and the company could delay the next handheld's release if it wanted to, but it looks like an E3 2010 announcement and a late 2010 release.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#2 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

It will probably be the best Handheld ever.

siddhu33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 siddhu33
Member since 2008 • 3264 Posts

Is that picture fake? If so, then yay.

If not, Nay (that is not a portable games machine!)

nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 nintendo-4life
Member since 2004 • 18281 Posts

Is that picture fake? If so, then yay.

If not, Nay (that is not a portable games machine!)

siddhu33
That was a fake pic of the old DS. It's 100% fake.
o0squishy0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 o0squishy0o
Member since 2007 • 2802 Posts

I saw a similiar post saying the ds2 would have the power of the ps3.. which seemed rather exciting but for it to have the power of the gamecube.. its a bit meh imo.

Sky-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sky-
Member since 2010 • 4682 Posts

If it indeed does have power that rivals that of the GC, dual analogs (for games that need them), two touch screens, and a library rivaling that of the DS or PS2, I might be done with console gaming forever. :P

dezzyfiesta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dezzyfiesta
Member since 2010 • 506 Posts

You must be thinking of the Wii 2! :P And that picture is 2 Ipads and a PSP photoshopped! :D

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

You must be thinking of the Wii 2! :P

dezzyfiesta

Bu-dum-tssssss!!!

:P

Sky-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Sky-
Member since 2010 • 4682 Posts

[QUOTE="dezzyfiesta"]

You must be thinking of the Wii 2! :P

organic_machine

Bu-dum-tssssss!!!

:P

Excellent use of onomatopoeia, fine sir. :P

Dataleak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Dataleak
Member since 2010 • 1737 Posts

Whoever designed that fake picture, should design the DS2. That looks sexy as hell. :P

Yo-gan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Yo-gan
Member since 2006 • 1878 Posts

I saw a similiar post saying the ds2 would have the power of the ps3.. which seemed rather exciting but for it to have the power of the gamecube.. its a bit meh imo.

o0squishy0o
Talk about insanely high expectations...
CDUB316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CDUB316
Member since 2009 • 6589 Posts

o0squishy0o

if you honestly thought that was true then just wow....no wonder you're disappointed...you believed a rumor that was just WAY out of line

the power of the gamecube is going to be AWESOME for a handheld....can't wait

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

o0squishy0o

GCN performance would actually be pretty decent for a handheld device. It's virtually impossible to make a "portable PS3" with current technology.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17839 Posts
[QUOTE="o0squishy0o"]

ThePlothole

GCN performance would actually be pretty decent for a handheld device. It's virtually impossible to make a "portable PS3" with current technology.

well you could probably get the PS3 hardware into a laptop...so that would technically make it a portable :P. seriously PS3 hardware is pushing it not only for technical reasons but also for cost reasons...the handheld (2 HDscreens, one of them a touch screen and other bits and bobs) would cost an absolute fortune. i think GC levels are a good place to be. the GC itself only ate 32w and hardware has moved on a long way since then in terms of power saving. so they can probably have that kind of horsepower in something pretty small and with a long batter life....the most important things in a handheld gaming device. it also means the cost of the screens wont be too bad.
smartcriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 smartcriminal
Member since 2004 • 1275 Posts

Regardless of how powerfull it is, it doesnt matter because the DS has the crappiest games. Unless R* release a GTA that is 3D and not birdseye

awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

LegatoSkyheart

I'm just hoping it has a library that is equal to the DS's, or better.

If not, it will be awesome, but the DS's library is amazing.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

Regardless of how powerfull it is, it doesnt matter because the DS has the crappiest games. Unless R* release a GTA that is 3D and not birdseye

smartcriminal
There are plenty of good games on the ds they probably just don't appeal to you as much i persoanlly prefer the games on the psp over the ds but i don't go around saying its games sucks quite the opposite infact.
789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

smartcriminal

This is instant fail.

Anyway, if this is true, then all I can say is SO MUCH WIN! But it's just a rumor.

smartcriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 smartcriminal

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

awssk8er716

Amazing library? Either Nintendo and 3rd parties who make games for Nintendo just hate non casuals or non sheep players or ive gone mad and Nintendogs and Pokemon are the best games out

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

well it only makes sense seeing as how the ds is almost an n64 that the ds 2 will be almost a gamecube

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

So, the DS2 will equal the PSP?

Rai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Rai
Member since 2003 • 629 Posts

GCN power? Hmm.. thats pretty unimpressive I think. I'm looking at least a but above that.

Yo-gan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Yo-gan
Member since 2006 • 1878 Posts

So, the DS2 will equal the PSP?

Phoenix534
No, despite what sony was claiming intially the PSP is not as powerful as the PS2, and the Gamecube was far more powerful than the PS2.
Dataleak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Dataleak
Member since 2010 • 1737 Posts

smartcriminal

Huh? Zelda, Metroid Prime, Ace Attourney, Advance Wars, Mario, Warioware, Starfox, Animal Crossing, Yoshis Island, Donkey Kong, Ninja Gaiden, Dragon Quest, Disgaea, Final Fantasy, Trauma Center, Castlevania, Hotel Dusk, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! and Grand Theft Auto ChinaTown Wars. Crappiest games?

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Phoenix534

[QUOTE="smartcriminal"]

Dataleak

Huh? Zelda, Metroid Prime, Ace Attourney, Advance Wars, Mario, Warioware, Starfox, Animal Crossing, Yoshis Island, Donkey Kong, Ninja Gaiden, Dragon Quest, Disgaea, Final Fantasy, Trauma Center, Castlevania, Hotel Dusk, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! and Grand Theft Auto ChinaTown Wars. Crappiest games?

Don't you remember? We no longer judge a system's library on how good the games are, but how many 3D GTAs it has.

Funconsole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Funconsole
Member since 2009 • 3223 Posts
Calling it right now: BEST. HANDHELD. EVER!
smartcriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 smartcriminal

[QUOTE="Dataleak"]

[QUOTE="smartcriminal"]

Phoenix534

Don't you remember? We no longer judge a system's library on how good the games are, but how many 3D GTAs it has.

Dont you remember? We no longer judges a systems broad range of IPs and mature games and the quality of them, but on how many rehashes and kiddie games it has.
Avatar image for Fuhgeddabouditt
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Fuhgeddabouditt
Member since 2010 • 5468 Posts
how much battery will that suck up?
Marka1700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Marka1700
Member since 2003 • 7500 Posts
[QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

[QUOTE="Dataleak"]

smartcriminal

Dont you remember? We no longer judges a systems broad range of IPs and mature games and the quality of them, but on how many rehashes and kiddie games it has.

GTA is hardly mature.
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Phoenix534

[QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

[QUOTE="Dataleak"]

smartcriminal

GTA? Mature? :lol: Don't make me laugh!

smartcriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 smartcriminal

[QUOTE="smartcriminal"][QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

Marka1700

GTA is hardly mature.

Would rather play GTA then some Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Wario, Nintendogs, Pokemon, etc etc

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

smartcriminal

Just what do you think "mature" means? Something that contains profuse amounts of blood and profanity? Well that may be true as far as the rating system is concerned, but it's certainly not the real meaning.

And really, if any of those games could be considered rehashes, then you might as well call all the GTA and GOW sequels/spinoffs "rehashes" too.

CDUB316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 CDUB316

[QUOTE="Marka1700"][QUOTE="smartcriminal"] Dont you remember? We no longer judges a systems broad range of IPs and mature games and the quality of them, but on how many rehashes and kiddie games it has. smartcriminal

GTA is hardly mature.

Would rather play GTA then some Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Wario, Nintendogs, Pokemon, etc etc

then you are probably one of the VERY few

lol...sorry, but GTA is not that great

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
Now all they need to do is come up with a functioning portable analog stick.
xionvalkyrie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 xionvalkyrie
Member since 2008 • 3444 Posts

GC level handheld would be awesome.

Ramen1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ramen1020
Member since 2009 • 1031 Posts

smartcriminal

I don't even own a DS but this is a very ignorant statement. When was the last time you played these? I don't know what world you're living in, but Zelda and Mario are some of the best franchises ever made, and when you look past your "this doesn't have blood, so it's not fun" point of view then you can come back and post again.

You are an extremely ignorant fanboy.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Phoenix534

[QUOTE="Marka1700"][QUOTE="smartcriminal"] Dont you remember? We no longer judges a systems broad range of IPs and mature games and the quality of them, but on how many rehashes and kiddie games it has. smartcriminal

GTA is hardly mature.

So? None of us care what you'd rather play. And your preference doesn't decide whether or not a game is mature.

smartcriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 smartcriminal

[QUOTE="smartcriminal"]

Ramen1020

I don't even own a DS but this is a very ignorant statement. When was the last time you played these? I don't know what world you're living in, but Zelda and Mario are some of the best franchises ever made, and when you look past your "this doesn't have blood, so it's not fun" point of view then you can come back and post again.

No, im not a fanboy. I just got over Nintendos week offering at the 64. Goldeneye was the last good game for it Look at the 64 and the Gamecube. All the same week offerings and bland boring games. The only reason the Wii did so well is because it appeals to the soccer mums and casuals As for the DS its the same argument, Nintendo just threw in some motion control games, which are lackluster. As for the last time i played it, i played NSM (what ever its called new Mario game) in december for christmas, and my sister has some mario kart game on the DS. Either way both games sucked and were boring.
CDUB316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 CDUB316

[QUOTE="Ramen1020"]

[QUOTE="smartcriminal"]

smartcriminal

No, im not a fanboy. I just got over Nintendos week offering at the 64. Goldeneye was the last good game for it Look at the 64 and the Gamecube. All the same week offerings and bland boring games. The only reason the Wii did so well is because it appeals to the soccer mums and casuals As for the DS its the same argument, Nintendo just threw in some motion control games, which are lackluster. As for the last time i played it, i played NSM (what ever its called new Mario game) in december for christmas, and my sister has some mario kart game on the DS. Either way both games sucked and were boring.

wow....that's all i'm gonna say

LMAO

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#40 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

Hmmm...an Ace Attorney with amazing graphics would be awesome. And another Windwaker would be awesome.

OneLazyAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 OneLazyAsian
Member since 2009 • 1715 Posts

Whoever designed that fake picture, should design the DS2. That looks sexy as hell. :P

Dataleak

It looks like the DS and iPhone fused together. That is sexy.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#42 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

well ds2 is not going to get released any time soon ,, but it will definatelly be gc graphics or wii , ,

because nintendos handhelds are a gen behind their home console all the time , ,

example ,

gc was after n64 technically

gba was in between n64 and snes ,

ds is n64 wii has a tad above gc ,

gbc is 8bit color snes 16 bit gb 8 bit mono chrome-this is the only handheld to measure the same bits as a nintendo home console , in the same time frame as it

psp is a ps2 graphically ,

ps3 is double ps2

so it would make sense , im not sure about sony though where are they going , if its impossible for ps3 visuals im welling to bet psp2 will see the same graphics as psp , and be competitive with ds2 which wouldnt be good for sony sense people wouldnt see psp 2 as a upgraded psp at all , but ds2 would be to dsi

so ya , ,

im betting on gc graphics my self , if not xbox with the same battery power as current dses ,

-since theyll be able to find ways to do it unliek sony , ,who still pushes 3 hours gameplay 6 movie and 10 music , ,

so ya ,,

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Hakkai007
Member since 2005 • 4905 Posts

The psp is not ps2 graphics. it is below that but better than ps1.

The DS2 is supposedly using the nivdia tegra 2 chip.

There is a video on youtube of the tegra 2 running the unreal 3 engine.

So the DS2 will be able to play games that can run on the unreal 3 engine.

The graphics looked better than the gamecube but not as good as current gen consoles.

Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

[QUOTE="awssk8er716"]

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

smartcriminal

Amazing library? Either Nintendo and 3rd parties who make games for Nintendo just hate non casuals or non sheep players or ive gone mad and Nintendogs and Pokemon are the best games out

nice opinion dude

By the way most critics and gamers strongly disagree with you

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Hakkai007
Member since 2005 • 4905 Posts

Also the PSP2 will be using one of the newest graphics chips being developed for phones like the next iphone gen.

It will supposedly be very close to current gen standards but still not as good.

It will be a little bit better than the DS2 in the area.

Although graphics aren't everything. I enjoy my DS much more than my PSP because the games seem more entertaining to me.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#46 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

Thanks for jacking my topic, chum. : |

Hmmm...an Ace Attorney with amazing graphics would be awesome.

AmayaPapaya

Yeah it would.

Make a Phoenix Wright 4 with Edgeworth-style gameplay, only with Persona 4-like graphics (ie, 3D characters & environments with detailed 2D portraits for dialog). That would kick so much ass.

juden41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 juden41
Member since 2010 • 4447 Posts
I don't know, that website doesn't seem very legit.
Killfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Killfox
Member since 2004 • 6666 Posts
Consider me not impressed.
Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

i know everybody anticipates something new but nintendo is not going to reveal anything, they keep secrets better then my baby cousin(and she cant talk by the way).they are going to use the ds for all its worth just like the ps2 is being used thats just smart business nintendo is making killings in every area of gaming they want this to last....

Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

[QUOTE="smartcriminal"]

[QUOTE="awssk8er716"]

darth-pyschosis

smartcriminal what are you talking about? do some serious research the ds library rivals the nes,ps2 any other great library you can name.it is one of the greatest gaming system and argueably the greatest handheld system ever.and thats just on games:P

nice opinion dude

By the way most critics and gamers strongly disagree with you