Dragons Dogma is criminally underrated

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#101 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6059 Posts
One of my top games this gen. Most games with class systems I just play one class and be done with it, but ths game I played every class and enjoyed each one.
DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 DrTrafalgarLaw
Member since 2011 • 4487 Posts

[QUOTE="navyguy21"][QUOTE="Stringerboy"]

The lack of fast travel and respawning enemies killed it for me.

Stringerboy

Yea, the respawns reminded me of FC2......which is NOT good. Honestly, the back tracking wouldnt be as bad if i didnt have to fight the same enemies.......in the same location...........doing the same things..........and my pawns saying the same things. It was annoying. I was so glad when i paid for fast travel

At least Far Cry 2 had vehicles to get you from location to location. Half of the time in DD is spent trecking through the same exact places you've just been to fighting the same respawning enemies and using the same tactics. It's such a chore to play.

I'm pretty sure Deep Down is just Dragon's Dogma 2 (anyone notice both titles are abbreviated as DD?) and they can only improve as a franchise. I think it's a solid attempt at their first open-world game for Capcom and if they just polish it some on new hardware, it will be a classic.

By the way, I like having no fast travel. Trekking through long and dangerous parts of the map actually means something.
If you only teleport from one place to another, means that you acknowlegde 90% of your game/map sucks and is a chore to travel through, like skyrim.

aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#103 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33426 Posts
I got the Dark Arisen version and so far (3 hours in) you're right. It's pretty unique.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#104 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14944 Posts

Its a great game but it has some issues, having one save file is total crap and unaccpetable in any RPG.The story and world are boring , like really boring I ended up just doing quest for exp not even caring about why I was doing it.The fast travel is just horrible being forced to go back to the same place quest after quest is not fun. The pawns are just retarded and say the daftest things "its immune to fire".....thank you captain obvious I never would have figuired that out on my own. Having said that the combat saves the game its the only reason the game is good.

musalala

No, the story in the last third of the game and the Dark Arisen content is really good.

Fast travel is improved in DD DA....you can warp to Cassadris now.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 texasgoldrush
It is a good game, I think my main problem was that I had already played Dragon Age: Origins before playing Dragon's Dogma. And comparing the latter to the former puts the game in a worse light than it deserves, Dragon Age II had the exact same problem.Sali217
DA Origin's combat, especially the console versions...is terrible. Dragon's Dogma is how the Dragon Age franchise should do combat. But with more control over party members.
Avatar image for deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#106 deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
Member since 2006 • 6013 Posts

The original game came out near the same time as skyrim, so a bunch of people missed it, but let me say one thing.

The game is incredible, in every single way except the story.

The gameplay is the best I have seen an open RPG have period, the bosses are huge, the game is HARD, the tactics are great, the diversity is amazing, it's FUN to play.

Try the game as a ranger, then try as a warrior, they play completely different.

Then play as a Sorcerer and your mind is gonna be BLOWN out of the water.

Seriously, I can't be more specific about sorcs in this game, It's the best mage in any game period, you make a huge difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ady863jQKEw

WATCH THAT VIDEO.

PS - Would also like to mention the game has 60+ hours of gameplay and just released an expansion with another 20+ hrs on top of it.

vanadiel242424

I just bought the new version of the game (haven't played it though).

It's the first game I have bought from Capcom since the original SF4, I was really pissed at their DLC politics, but I think this one deserves it.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

[QUOTE="Sali217"]It is a good game, I think my main problem was that I had already played Dragon Age: Origins before playing Dragon's Dogma. And comparing the latter to the former puts the game in a worse light than it deserves, Dragon Age II had the exact same problem.texasgoldrush
DA Origin's combat, especially the console versions...is terrible. Dragon's Dogma is how the Dragon Age franchise should do combat. But with more control over party members.

eww DA on console

DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 DrTrafalgarLaw

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="Sali217"]It is a good game, I think my main problem was that I had already played Dragon Age: Origins before playing Dragon's Dogma. And comparing the latter to the former puts the game in a worse light than it deserves, Dragon Age II had the exact same problem.lostrib

eww DA

fixed
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] DA Origin's combat, especially the console versions...is terrible. Dragon's Dogma is how the Dragon Age franchise should do combat. But with more control over party members.DrTrafalgarLaw

eww DA

fixed

No, change it back

DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 DrTrafalgarLaw

[QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"][QUOTE="lostrib"]

eww a BioWare game

lostrib

fixed

No, change it back

Ok.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"] fixedDrTrafalgarLaw

No, change it back

Ok.

well played

Clock-w0rk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Clock-w0rk
Member since 2012 • 3378 Posts

[QUOTE="Blabadon"]Kevin VanOrd put it as his top game of 2012.Ballroompirate

Wow he actually has taste for once.

The V man has amazing taste yo.

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Xaero_Gravity
Member since 2011 • 9856 Posts

[QUOTE="Ballroompirate"]

[QUOTE="Blabadon"]Kevin VanOrd put it as his top game of 2012.Clock-w0rk

Only if you're referring to the V man that dwells in the PUSH off site.
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#114 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

The original game came out near the same time as skyrim, so a bunch of people missed it, but let me say one thing.

vanadiel242424

If you call six to seven months away "near the same time" then, yes.

DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 DrTrafalgarLaw

[QUOTE="Ballroompirate"]

[QUOTE="Blabadon"]Kevin VanOrd put it as his top game of 2012.Clock-w0rk

Yet, he dock down Dark Arisen with a 7.0
He says it's too difficult...that can only mean one thing: It's not holding your hand and baby'ing you to lvl.100

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts
[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

Since when generic action titles are RPGs ?

Xaero_Gravity
It's certainly more RPG than it is generic action game. Just because the combat is action oriented it doesn't automatically make it some generic hack and slash.

As far as many people are concerned any game the improves the character (leveling up/redundant ugrades) instead of the player (cerebural/reflexive challenge) is an RPG. Its nice of Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma to try to do both but honestly they are conflicting concepts. Anybody who likes grinding/farming and leveling up won't like a challenge and vice versa. In essence, "Action-RPG" is an Oxymoron. Its a delusional pipe dream.
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Goyoshi12

[QUOTE="Clock-w0rk"]

[QUOTE="Ballroompirate"]

DrTrafalgarLaw

He says it's too difficult...that can only mean one thing: It's not holding your hand and baby'ing you to lvl.100

All while the Metacritic score has it at a 76 and the user score is at 7.4.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52451 Posts
All while the Metacritic score has it at a 76 and the user score is at 7.4.Goyoshi12
I hate how Gamespot is always the odd one out.
DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 DrTrafalgarLaw
[QUOTE="Xaero_Gravity"][QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

Lulekani
It's certainly more RPG than it is generic action game. Just because the combat is action oriented it doesn't automatically make it some generic hack and slash.

As far as many people are concerned any game the improves the character (leveling u/redundant ugrades) instead of the player (cerebural/reflexive challenge) is an RPG. Its nice of Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma to try to do both but honestly they are conflicting concepts. Anybody who likes grinding/farming and leveling up won't like a challenge and vice versa. In essence, "Action-RPG" is an Oxymoron. Its a delusional pipe dream.

It's not, try playing Monster Hunter...90% skill and 10% stats/ekuipment.
DivineSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 DivineSword  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 15840 Posts

Will probably give it a try when it comes down in price.

vanadiel242424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 vanadiel242424
Member since 2004 • 1795 Posts

[QUOTE="Clock-w0rk"]

[QUOTE="Ballroompirate"]

DrTrafalgarLaw

the expansion got 7.0 the entire game would get 8.8+.

He said it's 2 hard, which shows that the player who is playing is clearly awful. I have had no difficulty problems, and if he thinks it's 2 hard PLAY ON EASY.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

[QUOTE="Clock-w0rk"]

[QUOTE="Ballroompirate"]

DrTrafalgarLaw

"The grueling final third of the new dungeon lacks any sense of balance or fun"

The way this is worded probably means he's saying how some parts of the game can get cheap and frustrating. There's a difference between a fair, enjoyable challenge, and an excercise in frustration. I haven't played the game, but if some parts artificially bump up the difficulty, that's a valid criticism.

Clock-w0rk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Clock-w0rk
Member since 2012 • 3378 Posts

[QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"]

[QUOTE="Clock-w0rk"]

Goyoshi12

All while the Metacritic score has it at a 76 and the user score is at 7.4.

That seems pretty fair too me, off by 0.6 and 0.4.

Kevin Van Godord.

Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Goyoshi12

The way this is worded probably means he's saying how some parts of the game can get cheap and frustrating. There's a difference between a fair, enjoyable challenge, and an excercise in frustration. I haven't played the game, but if some parts artificially bump up the difficulty, that's a valid criticism.

Rocker6

From the actual review.

While Dark Arisen has a smart handle on how to induce tension, it fumbles greatly when it comes to offering a proper challenge. There is an insane shift in difficulty that occurs when you head into the final lap. Here, Bitterblack Isle turns ugly, even if you are playing 10 or 15 levels beyond the suggested level. Multiple giant beasts clog up tiny rooms, giving you no chance to maneuver, and turning battles into desperate attempts to keep your pawns alive by resurrecting them over and over. Multiple sorcerers catch you up in whirlwinds that destroy you the moment you enter the arena. A single archer can send you flying clear across a room and into a small crowd of mages. There's no sense of balance or momentum. The game goes from being sometimes frustrating but normally fair, to breaking the idea of a difficulty curve entirely.

You might try spending large sums of rift crystals to summon overleveled pawns, which can alleviate some of the frustration, but rift crystals are used as a currency in Dark Arisen in a variety of ways, such as to rebuild broken riftstones. You also spend rift crystals to have Olra cleanse the new cursed items you collect and reveal them to be powerful accessories, weapons, or armor pieces. It's a treat to discover that one of these Bitterblack items is a potent staff that amplifies your sorcerer pawn's magical abilities. But with all these rift crystals being used for purposes other than to purchase pawns, you might run too low to resummon an expensive pawn, and thus be tempted to buy more from the in-game downloadable content store--for real money, of course.

Dark Arisen may very well expect you to grind levels to compensate for the lack of balance, but the pace-breaking nature of this tonal shift is outrageous--and if you are approaching the content with a higher-level character, you might then find the early areas too toothless to be gratifying. Thankfully, revisiting other areas of the dungeon reveals secrets you probably missed, refreshes treasure chests with new loot, and pits you against creatures that didn't dog you the first time through. Suddenly, there isn't just a cyclops running after you, but two demon wolves too. But the grind becomes wearisome once you've trod the same hallways enough times, making you long for Gransys' verdant fields.

Dark Arisen Review

The bolded is pretty much what he means by the difficulty and judging by his description it seems like a fair critique for the game, I'd say.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#125 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15592 Posts

[QUOTE="Xaero_Gravity"][QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

Lulekani

As far as many people are concerned any game the improves the character (leveling up/redundant ugrades) instead of the player (cerebural/reflexive challenge) is an RPG. Its nice of Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma to try to do both but honestly they are conflicting concepts. Anybody who likes grinding/farming and leveling up won't like a challenge and vice versa. In essence, "Action-RPG" is an Oxymoron. Its a delusional pipe dream.

In that case there's almost no game that is actually an RPG, they're all strategy games or action games or shooters or turn based menu selection.

Just because the player can put a certain degree of skill into the outcome, that doesn't make something an RPG or not.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

Goyoshi12

From the actual review.

While Dark Arisen has a smart handle on how to induce tension, it fumbles greatly when it comes to offering a proper challenge. There is an insane shift in difficulty that occurs when you head into the final lap. Here, Bitterblack Isle turns ugly, even if you are playing 10 or 15 levels beyond the suggested level. Multiple giant beasts clog up tiny rooms, giving you no chance to maneuver, and turning battles into desperate attempts to keep your pawns alive by resurrecting them over and over. Multiple sorcerers catch you up in whirlwinds that destroy you the moment you enter the arena. A single archer can send you flying clear across a room and into a small crowd of mages. There's no sense of balance or momentum. The game goes from being sometimes frustrating but normally fair, to breaking the idea of a difficulty curve entirely.

You might try spending large sums of rift crystals to summon overleveled pawns, which can alleviate some of the frustration, but rift crystals are used as a currency in Dark Arisen in a variety of ways, such as to rebuild broken riftstones. You also spend rift crystals to have Olra cleanse the new cursed items you collect and reveal them to be powerful accessories, weapons, or armor pieces. It's a treat to discover that one of these Bitterblack items is a potent staff that amplifies your sorcerer pawn's magical abilities. But with all these rift crystals being used for purposes other than to purchase pawns, you might run too low to resummon an expensive pawn, and thus be tempted to buy more from the in-game downloadable content store--for real money, of course.

Dark Arisen may very well expect you to grind levels to compensate for the lack of balance, but the pace-breaking nature of this tonal shift is outrageous--and if you are approaching the content with a higher-level character, you might then find the early areas too toothless to be gratifying. Thankfully, revisiting other areas of the dungeon reveals secrets you probably missed, refreshes treasure chests with new loot, and pits you against creatures that didn't dog you the first time through. Suddenly, there isn't just a cyclops running after you, but two demon wolves too. But the grind becomes wearisome once you've trod the same hallways enough times, making you long for Gransys' verdant fields.

Dark Arisen Review

The bolded is pretty much what he means by the difficulty and judging by his description it seems like a fair critique for the game, I'd say.

Yeah, a fair complaint. A sudden spike in difficulty is never a good thing, especially if followed by a bunch of cheap and frustrating tactics to get you killed, like a bunch of powerful enemies in a tiny room.

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Lulekani
[QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"][QUOTE="Lulekani"][QUOTE="Xaero_Gravity"] It's certainly more RPG than it is generic action game. Just because the combat is action oriented it doesn't automatically make it some generic hack and slash.

As far as many people are concerned any game the improves the character (leveling u/redundant ugrades) instead of the player (cerebural/reflexive challenge) is an RPG. Its nice of Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma to try to do both but honestly they are conflicting concepts. Anybody who likes grinding/farming and leveling up won't like a challenge and vice versa. In essence, "Action-RPG" is an Oxymoron. Its a delusional pipe dream.

It's not, try playing Monster Hunter...90% skill and 10% stats/ekuipment.

I don't wana sound like a douchè but doesn't that mean it will most likely attract more skill based players than RPG Lovers ? And any game thats willing to go 90% skill and 10% stats might aswell just go with skill all the way and including a "Mommy Mode" concept for newcomers.
DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 DrTrafalgarLaw

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

Goyoshi12

From the actual review.

Dark Arisen Review

I've hired two level 70 pawn for 0 crystals...that's right...0. Van Ord is not prepared enough for Black Isle me thinks. I'll gladly accept the challenge though. It can be fun to take on a area while your party is underleveled, like I did traveling to the greatwall with lvl. 10 characters after the hydra escort. At least story missions are always normal in difficulty, I think he expected to stroll through the game just as any western rpg.

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Lulekani

[QUOTE="Lulekani"][QUOTE="Xaero_Gravity"] It's certainly more RPG than it is generic action game. Just because the combat is action oriented it doesn't automatically make it some generic hack and slash.Vaasman

In that case there's almost no game that is actually an RPG, they're all strategy games or action games or shooters or turn based menu selection.

Just because the player can put a certain degree of skill into the outcome, that doesn't make something an RPG or not.

I'm using the GCD (General Consesus Definition) of what an RPG is, not the actual/accurate definition. Samething with "character progression" , as far as the majority is concerned its just increasing your characters attributes plus alil bit of imagination. Genres have been spliced so much lately its hard to tell whats what . . . . so now we just use the GCD.
silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
Its superior to skyrim in everything (console skyrim of course). DD is in my top 10 rpg's of this gen for sure.
Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Vaasman

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

[QUOTE="Lulekani"] As far as many people are concerned any game the improves the character (leveling up/redundant ugrades) instead of the player (cerebural/reflexive challenge) is an RPG. Its nice of Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma to try to do both but honestly they are conflicting concepts. Anybody who likes grinding/farming and leveling up won't like a challenge and vice versa. In essence, "Action-RPG" is an Oxymoron. Its a delusional pipe dream.Lulekani

I'm using the GCD (General Consesus Definition) of what an RPG is, not the actual/accurate definition. Samething with "character progression" , as far as the majority is concerned its just increasing your characters attributes plus alil bit of imagination. Genres have been spliced so much lately its hard to tell whats what . . . . so now we just use the GCD.

In other words, you're using whatever definitions you can come up with that fit with your perception.

The bottom line is that action-RPG is a subgenre of RPG, and RPGs are not defined solely by the degree of control the player has in combat vs what is controlled by the characters' statistics.

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Lulekani

[QUOTE="Lulekani"][QUOTE="Vaasman"]In that case there's almost no game that is actually an RPG, they're all strategy games or action games or shooters or turn based menu selection.

Vaasman

In other words, you're using whatever definitions you can come up with that fit with your perception.

The bottom line is that action-RPG is a subgenre of RPG, and RPGs are not defined solely by the degree of control the player has in combat vs what is controlled by the characters' statistics.

Believe me if I thought using the real definition would help then I would have. And in Theory you're right. In practice, however, it doesn't take much to convince people about Pseudo RPG's. Need Proof ? No need to get up. . . . . . . simply take a closer look at this thread.
Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Vaasman

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

[QUOTE="Lulekani"] I'm using the GCD (General Consesus Definition) of what an RPG is, not the actual/accurate definition. Samething with "character progression" , as far as the majority is concerned its just increasing your characters attributes plus alil bit of imagination. Genres have been spliced so much lately its hard to tell whats what . . . . so now we just use the GCD.Lulekani

Believe me if I thought using the real definition would help then I would have. And in Theory you're right. In practice, however, it doesn't take much to convince people about Pseudo RPG's. Need Proof ? No need to get up. . . . . . . simply take a closer look at this thread.

I'm curious who in this thread you think is convinced that Dragon's Dogma is not a real RPG. Loosingends? Would you really like to lump yourself in with that company?

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Lulekani

[QUOTE="Lulekani"][QUOTE="Vaasman"]In other words, you're using whatever definitions you can come up with that fit with your perception.

Vaasman

I'm curious who in this thread you think is convinced that Dragon's Dogma is not a real RPG. Loosingends? Would you really like to lump yourself in with that company?

What ? No, oh god no. I just want, whatever Dragons Dogma is, to stop cross breeding with my beloved action games, I mean can you Imagine what God Of War would be like with cheap role playing elements, oh wait, DarkSiders II. What about Gears or Uncharted, oh look, Mass Effect to the rescue (only the 1st one, the 2 and 3 were awesome) . I'm not questioning the Quality of these games, they were great and fun. Its their purpose that eludes logic.
Sali217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Sali217
Member since 2012 • 1301 Posts
[QUOTE="Sali217"]It is a good game, I think my main problem was that I had already played Dragon Age: Origins before playing Dragon's Dogma. And comparing the latter to the former puts the game in a worse light than it deserves, Dragon Age II had the exact same problem.texasgoldrush

I don't really care about combat though, so perhaps that's why I preferred it.
Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Vaasman

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

[QUOTE="Lulekani"] Believe me if I thought using the real definition would help then I would have. And in Theory you're right. In practice, however, it doesn't take much to convince people about Pseudo RPG's. Need Proof ? No need to get up. . . . . . . simply take a closer look at this thread.Lulekani

What ? No, oh god no. I just want, whatever Dragons Dogma is, to stop cross breeding with my beloved action games, I mean can you Imagine what God Of War would be like with cheap role playing elements, oh wait, DarkSiders II. What about Gears or Uncharted, oh look, Mass Effect to the rescue (only the 1st one, the 2 and 3 were awesome) . I'm not questioning the Quality of these games, they were great and fun. Its their purpose that eludes logic.

Their purpose is to be RPGS with more engaging combat for the players. The statistic of your characters still play a huge part in combat, they just don't fully dictate it. What is hard to grasp about that?

DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 DrTrafalgarLaw

[QUOTE="Lulekani"][QUOTE="Vaasman"]I'm curious who in this thread you think is convinced that Dragon's Dogma is not a real RPG. Loosingends? Would you really like to lump yourself in with that company?

Vaasman

Their purpose is to be RPGS with more engaging combat for the players. What is hard to grasp about that?

Precisely...you don't want to go back to turn based are you? Purists can stick to the classics.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#138 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
The f*ck is Lulekani on about now
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
It was okay, nothing special. I got tired of the stupid idea of not having fast travel.
Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Lulekani
[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

[QUOTE="Lulekani"] What ? No, oh god no. I just want, whatever Dragons Dogma is, to stop cross breeding with my beloved action games, I mean can you Imagine what God Of War would be like with cheap role playing elements, oh wait, DarkSiders II. What about Gears or Uncharted, oh look, Mass Effect to the rescue (only the 1st one, the 2 and 3 were awesome) . I'm not questioning the Quality of these games, they were great and fun. Its their purpose that eludes logic.DrTrafalgarLaw

Their purpose is to be RPGS with more engaging combat for the players. What is hard to grasp about that?

Precisely...you don't want to go back to turn based are you? Purists can stick to the classics.

Its not hard to grasp at all, I only continue to beat this horse to death to make sure I understand it properly and to make sure you understand too (hint : You understand it properly). I'm also keeping an I eye out for people who are offended by this strategy as much as I am, so far I only spotted one, or maybe two. Its quite simple really, I have a huge grudge against this concept (its a personal grudge, hence the non sensical rambling) and thats it. @DrTrafalgarLaw- No ! Turn-base combat is like life before sliced bread.
Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 Lulekani
The f*ck is Lulekani on about nowBlabadon
You'd think by now more people would be more aware of my reputation, I'l have to be more creative in the future. Wish me luck.
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 millerlight89
[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

[QUOTE="Lulekani"] Believe me if I thought using the real definition would help then I would have. And in Theory you're right. In practice, however, it doesn't take much to convince people about Pseudo RPG's. Need Proof ? No need to get up. . . . . . . simply take a closer look at this thread.Lulekani

Darksider 2 is a fantastic game and Mass Effect 1 is still the best in the trilogy. Why do you not like RPG games?
DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 DrTrafalgarLaw

[QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"][QUOTE="Vaasman"]Their purpose is to be RPGS with more engaging combat for the players. What is hard to grasp about that?Lulekani

Its not hard to grasp at all, I only continue to beat this horse to death to make sure I understand it properly and to make sure you understand too (hint : You understand it properly). I'm also keeping an I eye out for people who are offended by this strategy as much as I am, so far I only spotted one, or maybe two. Its quite simple really, I have a huge grudge against this concept (its a personal grudge, hence the non sensical rambling) and thats it. @DrTrafalgarLaw- No ! Turn-base combat is like life before sliced bread.

But you shouldn't think in genres any more, even platformers nowadays have rpg mechanics of upgrading and leveling. Action goes great with rpg's imo. I understand you want a more pure rpg or action game...but nobody is paying attention to your game if there is not some xp bar/metre filling up.

I'm still waiting for a first person fighting game that takes place in space while platforming off of asteroids.

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Lulekani
[QUOTE="Lulekani"][QUOTE="Vaasman"]I'm curious who in this thread you think is convinced that Dragon's Dogma is not a real RPG. Loosingends? Would you really like to lump yourself in with that company?millerlight89

Darksider 2 is a fantastic game and Mass Effect 1 is still the best in the trilogy. Why do you not like RPG games?

like I said its personal, and very irrational. I don't think the internet is the ideal place to reveal the parralel between RPG's and my childhood. I think its better to bury those issues deep down until they reach critical mass, burst and make me kill a bunch of people with automatic weapons leaving people to deduce this tragic event to my violent video game collection. Yep, thats the way to go. Lol. Oh a quick heads up, It doesn't stop at games. I critisize cartoons for the exact same thing, specificly the Dragon Ball series, and just like with games I already have one cartoon that counters it in. . . . a way. Its Naruto.
Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Lulekani

[QUOTE="Lulekani"][QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"] Precisely...you don't want to go back to turn based are you? Purists can stick to the classics.DrTrafalgarLaw

But you shouldn't think in genres any more, even platformers nowadays have rpg mechanics of upgrading and leveling. Action goes great with rpg's imo. I understand you want a more pure rpg or action game...but nobody is paying attention to your game if there is not some xp bar/metre filling up.

I'm still waiting for a first person fighting game that takes place in space while platforming off of asteroids.

I also love watching the xp bar fill up and my avatar burst in a colorful aura and that cute sound/fanfare they play when it happens, however all those warm feelings get overshadowed by sadness to realise that cool new weapon, although prettier and stronger, just does more damage and is barely an improvement on the last one. Its like like winning a thousand dollar jackpot at a casino, the music and flashing lights fade away when you finalize realise you spent 950 dollars in coins just gambling for that prize. It just feels cheap and patronizing. Thats why I love Arkham City, the ugrades aren't really upgrades, they are genuinely new additions. Let me add to the Casino gambling anology, I wouldn't mind winning 50 dollars back if playing the slot machine required more than just yanking a lever, infact, I'd gladly lose the entire prize and be down 1000 dollars if the slot machine allowed me to solve complex math problems or play classical music PERFECTLY with my toes with a blindfold over my eyes, and why not throw in a pair of ear plugs, just to make it interesting. The prize money is'nt just money, its a symbol of my struggles, yanking a lever just kills that symbology and alil bit of my soul/dignity.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#146 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44658 Posts
Dragon Dogma wasn't that great, the game had no story worth caring about, the missions crap, the world wasn't that expansive, and the enemies got redundant pretty quick. It needed more large beasts and boss battles. It needed more exploration. It needed better missions that were story driven. Drop-in/drop-out co-op instead of pawns would have been nice. I'd say it's overrated, but shows potential toward being a better franchise. We shouldn't over-hype this game more than it needs to be, otherwise they're not going to make necessary improvements on any possible sequel.
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 millerlight89
[QUOTE="millerlight89"][QUOTE="Lulekani"] What ? No, oh god no. I just want, whatever Dragons Dogma is, to stop cross breeding with my beloved action games, I mean can you Imagine what God Of War would be like with cheap role playing elements, oh wait, DarkSiders II. What about Gears or Uncharted, oh look, Mass Effect to the rescue (only the 1st one, the 2 and 3 were awesome) . I'm not questioning the Quality of these games, they were great and fun. Its their purpose that eludes logic.Lulekani

like I said its personal, and very irrational. I don't think the internet is the ideal place to reveal the parralel between RPG's and my childhood. I think its better to bury those issues deep down until they reach critical mass, burst and make me kill a bunch of people with automatic weapons leaving people to deduce this tragic event to my violent video game collection. Yep, thats the way to go. Lol.

You're a pretty interesting character. I hope you stick around lol.
NoirLamia777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 NoirLamia777
Member since 2012 • 3180 Posts

I still need to play it, definitely will pick it up since it's pretty cheap now.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#149 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
I enjoyed the demo. One of those "okay" games that sit on the back burner for years.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

Rocker6

From the actual review.

Dark Arisen Review

Yeah, a fair complaint. A sudden spike in difficulty is never a good thing, especially if followed by a bunch of cheap and frustrating tactics to get you killed, like a bunch of powerful enemies in a tiny room.

There is no real spike in difficulty...he simply doesn't get that he has to run away sometimes from some enemies.....