Does Microsoft Deserve Their Current Condition?

• 134 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Whistle_Blower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Does Microsoft Deserve Their Current Condition? (119 votes)

Yes 70%
No 29%

Considering how last generation went, do you think there were things Microsoft did that suggest they deserve where they are today with Sony having a ridiculous amount of lead in terms of sales and consumer base?

• 
oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#101 oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

Another thread full of Sony fanboys being hypocritical and looking for validation. Sony has done pretty much everything MS has done.

Sony actually had the exact same type of DRM plan for the PS4 but reversed it at the last minute when they saw all the backlash that MS got for it.

They are a corporation just like MS and actually overall are even more shady. See leaked Sony emails and how shadily their management runs their company. They arent the altruistic heroes you fanboys make them out to be they are just as greedy and even more corrupt than MS.

http://deadline.com/2015/11/sony-hack-lawsuit-negligence-invasion-of-privacy-amy-heller-1201637799/

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178878 Posts

@oflow said:

Another thread full of Sony fanboys being hypocritical and looking for validation. Sony has done pretty much everything MS has done.

Sony actually had the exact same type of DRM plan for the PS4 but reversed it at the last minute when they saw all the backlash that MS got for it.

They are a corporation just like MS and actually overall are even more shady. See leaked Sony emails and how shadily their management runs their company. They arent the altruistic heroes you fanboys make them out to be they are just as greedy and even more corrupt than MS.

Love when fan boys spread lies to validate their purchase. LOL

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

Yes, you can't just try and brush your original draconian policies under the rug after a massive backlash and expect to eventually become the leading platform.

Microsoft shot themselves in the foot and while Phil Spencer has done a great job sailing the ship in the right direction, it is where it should be ub terms of sales. The original concept of the console was to please Microsoft, not Xbox fans. Thankfully, I expect the next Xbox console to double down on what fans truly want.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

Even Phil Spencer himself admits they screwed up.

Loading Video...
xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

Yeah they did try to overreach but they have admitted they made a mistake and have fixed the Xbox One into a great console now. Sony made a lot of mistakes last gen but most gamers forgave them and the PS3 became a good console.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#106  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Only at the beginning, but they have since then completely redeemed themselves in my eyes. Their biggest flaw was not greed imo, it was that they were naive. They didn't expect such a reaction from the gamers, they didn't understand a big chunk of their target audience well enough.

They deserved what they got at reveal and launch by virtue of the fact that the market simply responded in that manner. You need to predict how the market will respond, you cannot think you are always correct and the market is wrong. If you want to take big risks, you need to be ready for the unexpected. Why did nobody think that the ability to play your custom soundtrack while playing games, like with the 360, should be on XOne? This was a beloved feature that should have been there since day 1, and had they been in tune enough with their audience, they would have tried harder to keep that feature on Xbox One.

I don't necessarily agree with all aspects of the backlash they received, but that is another discussion. As a long time console gamer, I bought an XOne to play games and in that regard, I'm very satisfied. If anything, this tumble has made them try much harder to please their fans and so in the end it benefited people like me.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#107  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@sovkhan said:

@cainetao11

Some Devs certainly were advocates of all drm shit, some weren't.

Ms has once again chosen the wrong horse, knowing in advance sony's stance.

The used market is huuuuuge; why in hell should "games" be an exception???

never said whether they should or shouldn't. I am betting that more devs are against used than for. Its money out of their pockets

Whistle_Blower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Whistle_Blower
Member since 2015 • 291 Posts

@Alucard_Prime said:

Only at the beginning, but they have since then completely redeemed themselves in my eyes. Their biggest flaw was not greed imo, it was that they were naive. They didn't expect such a reaction from the gamers, they didn't understand a big chunk of their target audience well enough.

They deserved what they got at reveal and launch by virtue of the fact that the market simply responded in that manner. You need to predict how the market will respond, you cannot think you are always correct and the market is wrong. If you want to take big risks, you need to be ready for the unexpected. Why did nobody think that the ability to play your custom soundtrack while playing games, like with the 360, should be on XOne? This was a beloved feature that should have been there since day 1, and had they been in tune enough with their audience, they would have tried harder to keep that feature on Xbox One.

I don't necessarily agree with all aspects of the backlash they received, but that is another discussion. As a long time console gamer, I bought an XOne to play games and in that regard, I'm very satisfied. If anything, this tumble has made them try much harder to please their fans and so in the end it benefited people like me.

No because they definitely understood their target audience. Their target audience allowed them to get away with extreme milkage (HALOFORZAGEARS) for a long time so that was the understanding they had of their audience so that's what led them to think they'd get away with it. They clearly don't think much of xbox users and their level of intelligence. Also, they're once again showing signs that theyre going to fall into the same habits. Hint, new Halo just came out and another FHZ is on the...horizon.

skektek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#109 skektek
Member since 2004 • 6530 Posts

@KingsofQueens said:

Fast forward NOW, all those policies have been reversed for the good. Anyone denying this is a complete fucking idiot, really.

You're a fucking idiot if you think that Microsoft won't repackage that turd and try to force it down our throats again.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
Member since 2006 • 2521 Posts

@skektek:

What the **** are you even talking about, numb nuts? I'm talking about how MS reversed its policies, and the REALITY is to benefit FOR ALL gamers. No one, not even MS is pointing a gun to your ugly zit face and forcing you to buy their consoles, that is just a choice. Stop living in the past.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#111 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41577 Posts

Depends...

Being in second place due to that DRM shit they almost pulled off when Matrick was in charge? Yes.

Being treated like second hand citizens to Sony (and MAYBE Nintendo in SOME cases...) for no reason? **** no.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#112 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

@notafanboy said:
@charizard1605 said:

I'd say they deserved to get walloped at launch, which they did, but everything they have done since then warrants them being in a far better position than they are in now. Hopefully, the market sees and recognizes that as such, if not in the short term, then in the long run.

Don't let MS's actions now fool you. They're only keeping up their "for the gamers" facade to gain back marketshare so they can attempt their anti-consumer practices in the future. Just look at how they're still keeping the Pay2Play online gaming subs. That just proves MS hasn't really changed. They're still dreaming of the days when they were making billions in profit for online gaming subs. Those days are long gone now that SONY is in the massive lead and is also charging for online play. MS is still the greedy company from 2013.

As a business.. MS face stomps Sony. Businesses will be greedy... If you believe that Sony isn't greedy then...wake up.

MS is just the better company..no matter how you look at it.

Ranting about how a company is greedy....are you serious ? Where have you been all these years ? Just got born ?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

People just to make things clear...

Some people think that MS's current condition is worse off than Sony's... and that MS deserves to be in the miserable place they are in..

They are not. Trust me. MS is swimming in money. Their current condition is good, very good.

Whistle_Blower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Whistle_Blower

@acp_45 said:

Some people think that MS's current condition is worse off than Sony's... and that MS deserves to be in the miserable place they are in..

They are not. Trust me. MS is swimming in money. Their current condition is good, very good.

And that makes them seem even worse...i'm not sure if that was in their defence, but you just reinforced everything we've all been saying.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

@whistle_blower said:
@acp_45 said:

And that makes them seem even worse...i'm not sure if that was in their defence, but you just reinforced everything we've all been saying.

Ahhh I wasn't defending or attacking them. I was reinforcing the fact that their current condition....,which is the topic of the thread by the way, is excellent.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#116 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

MS tried to **** us all over, instead they fucked themselves over.

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#117 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

In the beginning MS did fcuk with some of the ideas it was trying to introduce. Alot of the idea just needed some explaining to the masses at large but for the most part reveal of the xbox one at start was a massive miss step. Now fast forward to today they have done alot to reshape the image. For the most part most people can't seem to forgive that E3 press conference.

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#118  Edited By 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

One last thing for those who says MS milks games like Halo, Forza, and Gears. Sony is just as bad with God of War, Uncharted, and Grand Turismo. Geez like you can see who is just wearing some fanboy blinders around these part. Heck even Nintendo is milking their games.

Whistle_Blower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Whistle_Blower

@acp_45 said:
@whistle_blower said:
@acp_45 said:

Ahhh I wasn't defending or attacking them. I was reinforcing the fact that their current condition....,which is the topic of the thread by the way, is excellent.

Ok, so where are all the games? What's stopping them from acquiring more 1st party devs to bring variety to the Xbox platform? They can clearly afford it, why aren't they doing it?

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

@cainetao11

Tbh, i don't give a shit about what devs think.

I can resell my lps, cds, dvds, blurays, why should it be different for my physical games???

That's one of many reasons, i hate digital, and i won't embrace it for awhile.:

Razik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#121  Edited By Razik
Member since 2015 • 965 Posts

Yes the X1 is selling better than the X360 at this point in its life span, its just Sony launched the PS4 at a good price so the PS3 gamers made the jump quicker to PS4, give the X1 time, the X360 sold 80 million systems thats a lot of gamers still waiting to jump into Next gen

Razik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#122 Razik
Member since 2015 • 965 Posts

@360ru13r said:

One last thing for those who says MS milks games like Halo, Forza, and Gears. Sony is just as bad with God of War, Uncharted, and Grand Turismo. Geez like you can see who is just wearing some fanboy blinders around these part. Heck even Nintendo is milking their games.

Every game is milked, everything coming out is a sequel to along running franchise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

@whistle_blower said:
@acp_45 said:
@whistle_blower said:
@acp_45 said:

Ok, so where are all the games? What's stopping them from acquiring more 1st party devs to bring variety to the Xbox platform? They can clearly afford it, why aren't they doing it?

You're asking questions I don't have the answers for.

But if you want to talk about condition...MS is far above Nintendo and Sony... Like it or not.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 LJS9502_basic

@KingsofQueens said:

@skektek:

What the **** are you even talking about, numb nuts? I'm talking about how MS reversed its policies, and the REALITY is to benefit FOR ALL gamers. No one, not even MS is pointing a gun to your ugly zit face and forcing you to buy their consoles, that is just a choice. Stop living in the past.

Eh getting forced to do something doesn't mean you learned a damn thing....

EG101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 EG101
Member since 2007 • 2091 Posts
@LJS9502_basic said:
@KingsofQueens said:

@skektek:

The fact that Don Matrick is gone and that Phil Spencer admitted the mistakes that MS made with the XB1 is proof that they have learned valuable lessons.

1) You can't ignore your customers and expect your customers to come out and support you.

2) It is a lot easier to Lose an existing customer than it is to gain a new customer.

3) Don't alienate your existing customer base while chasing another customer that has not bought into the eco system.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 LJS9502_basic

@EG101 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@KingsofQueens said:

@skektek:

The fact that Don Matrick is gone and that Phil Spencer admitted the mistakes that MS made with the XB1 is proof that they have learned valuable lessons.

1) You can't ignore your customers and expect your customers to come out and support you.

2) It is a lot easier to Lose an existing customer than it is to gain a new customer.

3) Don't alienate your existing customer base while chasing another customer that has not bought into the eco system.

And that is exactly what MS did. And while Matrick gets all the blame here......bear in mind MS has more than one individual calling the shots.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#128 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

Well, it is Microsoft fault they are in this predicament. The first thing they need to do is learn not to go first before Sony at any conference event. If I were Microsoft, I would always go last and close the show. Secondly, they should have done a ton of consumer and developers surveys prior to unleashing their miserable ideas to the public. With the XBox 360, they actually spoke to devs and gamers about XBox 360 before they released it. The XB1 TEAM were a complete disaster. Even many of the higher up Execs have said this. It's good they got Phil Spencer to take charge and help improve the XB1 and get gamers excited about it again. The $500 and Kinect really hurt the system's competition. After the bad revile you would think M$ would release an XB1 with Kinect at launch for $350. That's what they should have done. I'm sure they won't make the same mistake twice.

luckylucious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By luckylucious
Member since 2015 • 1198 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@KingsofQueens said:

@skektek:

They were forced. They had no choice, had they not reversed DRM it the Xbone would've sold almost nothing. Also the fact that MS said there was no way out of DRM and reversed the policies overnight is an epic fail. Come on. I'm not going to lie though MS has done a lot like BC and making sure to lock-down amazing exclusives (Cuphead, Recore etc.), but that doesn't erase the past.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#130 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

MS really shit the bed with their unveiling. They cleaned it up, but the brown stain of betrayal will always be there.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#131 Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Microsoft planned to launch with heavily controlled DRM and is one of the foremost pushers of microtransactions.

Yup. They attempted that shit DRM, they deserve to be in the bed of which they currently lie.

Yes, and yes. I owned the original xbox and the xbox 360... after hearing what they were trying to do before their consoles release I decided to not bother with them ever again, and with the dishonest shit they are pulling with Windows 10 on a daily basis with data mining, and other questionable software they have inside their OS to monitor everyone.

Xbox one basically at this point is windows 10 jr, same privacy invasion, and data collection... but at 30 fps.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#132  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44688 Posts

Say what you want about their numerous mistakes on reveal, their obvious attempt to get rid of used games (by going discless), the DRM of trying to reinstate used games with a discless system fiasco, making a weaker system and trying to force Kinect on people, that's all deserving of criticism. But...

I swear people hold that against their games by proxy, which have been excellent, Dead Rising 3 was probably the best game in any system's launch line-up and was disregarded due to shallow standards on it not being 1080p/60fps, using less detailed character models and calling it graphically sub-par. I disagree, it's easier to get higher quality character models when you're making games with no more than a dozen characters on screen at any time, but here we have hundreds of enemies being rendered in a large open world environment on the fly, which you take that into consideration I think it's an achievement. Plus, the game is a fucking blast to play, that was obvious in every numerous launch let's plays.

Ryse too, still haven't got a chance to get to it myself, I'd understand all the reasons to criticize it like repetitive gameplay and QTEs not making much difference to how executions play out and everything we've heard, except one constantly regurgitate criticism I take great issue with. It was obvious people were going well out of their way to find those invisible walls and acting like it was such a constraint on the game. Oh my god, if people applied the same standards to rating games for everything else then nobody would bother playing anything these days.

There also seems to be a great deal of misinformation regarding Microsoft's parity clause and devs seem to be willfully disregard changes but act ignorant of the changes.

Beyond that reviewers aren't as disregarding of MS games since Titanfall or Sunset Overdrive and have given such games moderate and fair reception, games like Screamride or Ori & The Blind Forest and even Halo and Rise of the Tomb Raider I've say have been given a fair shake... fair shake, still they don't get the kind free passes and noses up the ass that fanboys in the industry give Sony and Nintendo, but they're treated fair nonetheless.

Whistle_Blower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Whistle_Blower

@lamprey263 said:

Say what you want about their numerous mistakes on reveal, their obvious attempt to get rid of used games, the DRM of trying to reinstate used games with a discless system, making a weaker system and trying to force Kinect on people, that's all deserving of criticism.

I swear people hold that against their games by proxy, which have been excellent, Dead Rising 3 was probably the best game in any system's launch line-up and was disregarded due to shallow standards on it not being 1080p/60fps, using less detailed character models and calling it graphically sub-par. I disagree, it's easier to get higher character models when you're making games with no more than a dozen characters on screen, but here we have hundreds of enemies being rendered in a large open world environment on the fly, which you take that into consideration I think it's an achievement. Plus, the game is a fucking blast to play, that was obvious in every numerous launch let's plays.

Ryse too, still haven't got a chance to get to it myself, I'd understand all the reasons to criticize it like repetitive gameplay and GTEs not making much difference to how executions play out and everything we've heard, except one constantly regurgitate criticism I take great issue with. It was obvious people were going well out of their way to find those invisible walls and acting like it was such a constraint on the game. Oh my god, if people applied the same standards to rating games for everything else then.

There also seems to be a great deal of misinformation regarding Microsoft's parity clause and devs seem to be willfully disregard changes but act ignorant of the changes.

Beyond that reviewers aren't as disregarding of MS games since Titanfall or Sunset Overdrive and have given such games moderate and fair reception, games like Screamride or Ori & The Blind Forest and even Halo and Rise of the Tomb Raider I've say have been given a fair shake... fair shake, still they don't get the kind free passes and noses up the ass that fanboys in the industry give Sony and Nintendo, but they're treated fair nonetheless.

Come on...you're reaching. All those other games you listed before you got to Halo pretty much outlligned the obvious dynamics of the xbox platform that xbox fans keep trying to deny...it's like you practically just said there's Halo and then there're other games...Halo...and Not Halo. It's silly. Those other games weren't well recieved from the reviewers' end, yes, but they were also not well received from xbox gamers end because they were Non-Halo.

skullcavity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 skullcavity
Member since 2015 • 153 Posts

I voted "Yes".. Everything I had to say about why I chose that answer has already been said. Microsoft's current gap behind Sony is a result of the DRM policies they tried to place on gamers early on.