Does Crytek really deserve this?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

User Lists: 0

#201 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

and dont forget there are unmarked quests and hidden camps and areas you can find in C1 if you go off the 'path'

wis3boi

Really? Can you provide a sample unmarked quest? I thought I've seen every nook and cranny in Crysis and Warhead...... I guess not. He He.

This mountain is waaaaaay off the path of the mission, has a small outpost on top with incredibly early access to powerful weapons you normally don't get until later and offers an excellent way to make a distraction if you are a good shot with your sniper.

1ag9p.jpg

Some get marked on your map as yellow dots (side quests) some don't. Other examples include disabling radio towers or getting intel.

The mountain is NOT way off, it's pretty close and its extremely visible, hell I thinkyou could see the shack from the distance, and iirc there were hidden weapon caches way earlier and they were even closer to the main path. I got an assault scope at like the 1st or 2nd level and I didnt had to venture far to get it.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#202 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Wait, isn't that the second level? If so, that spot is ridiculously obvious; the game practically leads you there by the scruff of your neck. If this is the "imagination" I supposedly lacked when playing Crysis, I'm entirely unimpressed.lowe0

Level 2: Recovery still felt like a tutorial level to me. But, I learned a few things at that level such as observing the claymore mines running the length of the perimeter barb wire. Shooting them can be quite fun.:lol:

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#203 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts

[QUOTE="lowe0"]Wait, isn't that the second level? If so, that spot is ridiculously obvious; the game practically leads you there by the scruff of your neck. If this is the "imagination" I supposedly lacked when playing Crysis, I'm entirely unimpressed.jun_aka_pekto

Level 2: Recovery still felt like a tutorial level to me. But, I learned a few things at that level such as observing the claymore mines running the length of the perimeter barb wire. Shooting them can be quite fun.:lol:

Those were an annoyance, as I would have preferred to approach from the water. But, y'know, tactical openness and all meant I had to come at it from the bridge by the gas station. (If you're willing to keep dying and reloading, it's doable, but that's just exploiting a game mechanic.)
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
Was Crysis 2 a bad game.. No. Was Crysis 2 like anything that made the first one special and so enjoyable.. No..
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22962 Posts

No. Most developers don't deserve the hate they get from narrow-minded asshats on the internet.It's ok to be truly disappointed by a game, but some people take disappointment to an entirely unnecessary level.I was disappointed that the levels in C2 weren't as open-ended as they were in the original, but C2 wasn't a bad game by any stretch of the imagination. It had it's flaws but in the end I enjoyed playing it. To me that's what's important.

And to the peoplethat believe what these developers tell you about their games pre-launch, If you are that friggin gullible, You deserve to be lied to. When it boils down to it , a game is a product someone is trying to sell, hype is part of the game.Learn to read between the lines and do some goddamn research before you buy.

heretrix
^ The master... well said heretrix.
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#206 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

The game director of Crysis 3 was the game director of Hitman: Blood Money. I think he knows a thing or two about sandbox design.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

My point is that it's not as long as other zelda games, and that doesn't mean I can go around saying it lasts 4 hours. lightleggy

Except it is. Twilight Princess is one of the longest Zelda games there is.

you are saying that crysis 2 levels were a sausage while Crysis 1 felt like an entire continent, you can feel free to explore crysis 1 as much as you like, and you'll notice that what I said its true, you cant access over 50% of the terrain you see in the map, And Crysis 1 also had claustrophobic levels, the cave systems, the alien ship, the aircraft carrier, hell even the snow mountain felt like a crooked corridor.lightleggy

Crysis 1 did feel like that because the levels were huge and it was on an island. Crysis 2 had to surrounded by nothing but streets and buildings, and it doesn't take a genius to know which is going to give you a bigger sense of freedom. With Crysis 2, you'll notice you don't have access to 90% of the map because it's f*cking closed-off buildings. You don't get to criticize one and ignore the other. A cave is a cave just as a hallway is a hallway. Inside that alien was confusing, not claustrophobic. Was also one of the greatest moments in gaming ever.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts

They betrayed teh master race by sharing Crysis with the consolites. Unforgivable!

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

[QUOTE="skrat_01"]

[QUOTE="lightleggy"]

exactly.

I made a diagram, not exactly a paint prodigy but this explains it pretty good

tumblr_mgjb90F67P1rpii74o1_500.jpg

The game would give you the illusion of being open world, but it was not, you HAD to go through the designated path because it was the only path you could take, im not even exaggerating, go play the game again and try to reach an objective from a different area, it's literally impossible, not one objective can be reached from another point, its all like a colander.

lightleggy

It was never an open world game, what is was is afar more open game with massive scale.

Crysis 1 would funnel at times, but when it hit the right paces, open right out and give the player tons of room to move and navigate; avoid enemies, attack, run and gun, sneak - snipe from way back, etc.

It was much more atuned to its open ended sandbox design, and allowing players to change how they played on the fly.
It's problem was for anything narrative based or heavily paced it was hard to structure an open play-space for it, which is why the game would funnel in on a convergence point, and the level geometry would pull inwards.

Warhead actually tried to hit a balance, and did a prety succesful job imho.

Crysis 2 on the other hand hadextremely rigidly designed levels. These utterly lacked the open playspaces of Crysis's levels, and didn't have half the systems going on (a.i. generally and reactive, destruction, physics, interactable assets etc.) - this was mainly due to the memory limitations and Crytek wanting to pace and direct the gameplay very heavily; far more then in Warhead.

And they botched it, Crytek can't pace a great scripted shooter well at all. It sucked in Far Cry, in Crysis, and in Crysis 2 it was at its worst, the game by the half way point hit the point of stagnation; one combat sequence, downtime, another, rinse repeat.

The more freeform gameplay of Crysis was thrown out, and that hurt the game quite a lot.

But yeah.

Not open world, open ended.

The only thing that changed in C2 was the enviromental destruction, physics and the AI quality.

The levels are still very big, and keeping in mind my illustration, i'd say it was the same.

These games work like that, they put you in a corridor (in C1 they gave you an illusion of being in an open world, but it was always a corridor, as I have explained) and then the corridor leads to a large battleground, this is the case in both C1 and C2, most battlegrounds in C2 were extremely large and offered a bunch of different approaches, I didnt liked C2 that much but I have beaten it twice to this day and im pretty sure I was able to sneak or go guns blazing on several points, again with a lot of freedom, just not some C1 features like being able to destroy stuff, or having competent AI, but as far as scale goes, actual scale, not just perceived game world, C1 and C2 were the same.

Heck no, there were huge changes. The pacing, the level design, the reliance and focus on scripting, the closer slant towards direct combat (cover shooting), the scale and open-endedness and yeah - the physics and a.i. Crysis 2 doesn't feature 'very big' levels. Sure they're larger then average, I'll sure as hell agree, and they offer some freeform gameplay at times (when the game really hits its strides), but they're still tightly architected and funnelled to compensate for memory restrictions per asset count, a.i. and of course - the games pacing. Seriously, open up the largest Crysis 1 level next to the largest Crysis 2 level in their respective sandbox editors - there's a massive difference. The only major difference I'd say is that Crysis 2 has a far stronger aesthetic generally speaking, even if it and Crysis are fairly so-so stylistically imho. Hell, I know how these games work, building and studying this kind of thing is more or less what I do. Yes they are essentially 'corridoors' but that's such a poor use of the word you'd be missing the qualities of the levels and design entirely. I'm not saying open world, I'm saying *open ended* and they are; there's a huge difference between Crysis's level design to a 'large geometrically sculpted corridoor' like Halo, or a multi-linear environment like in Dishonored. Crysis's levels have a directed open-ended flow, towards a singular point. sometimes with sub objectives; what makes it stand out is the sheer scope of space between the player and the objective generally speaking, and the branching paths to reach there. Crysis 2 doesn't have that freedom. Aye, you can cloak at any time, but there's hardly any space in choosing how to proceed from A to B most of the time; the levels are far smaller and restricted and enemies often populate those bottleneck that bridge one 'instanced zone' (or micro-sandbox) to the next, wheras Crysis has none of this (the first signs of this were in Warhead). This is on reason why the suits speed ability was nuked, and the games pace was dramatically slowed (and a cover system was implemented) - make getting from A to B more time intensive, and slow the pace of the game ,and thus the players mobility. This extends into the combat design. levels are fixed around cover locations - and there's a ton more then in Crysis; this fits right with the slower pace - moving from cover location to another, as well as the combat focus. Less speed means escaping alerted enemies is much more difficult. Much more, and it sure as hell shows in the games. So additional cover means the player has more place to hide, that doubles as cover for shooting -the player is less mobile and sneaky, thus sticks to these spots. And this shows more and more and more. Crysis 2 keeps sticking to a pacing that goes - micro-sandbox - connecting path (sometimes with enemies or story exposition), then another micro-sandbox or - a new big focus of Crysis 2 - a fixed arena combat sequence, that consists of kill X enemy to proceed. These appear very, very often in Crysis 2 - from the Alien Walkers, to defending locations with soliders until waves end - much, much more when the game hits the half way point. They're very different games. In terms of scale, freeform gameplay, pacing and gameworld, when you begin looking at the intrinsic qualities and direction of either game. Neither are perfect either, far from it, but Crysis 2 is a substantially different game, and far more conservative to Crysis 1 in terms of what defined that game. Which is why Crytek are harping on saying that Crysis 3 will call back to what made Crysis 1 what it was, yada yada.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

The game director of Crysis 3 was the game director of Hitman: Blood Money. I think he knows a thing or two about sandbox design.

Baranga
Holy**** that's the most exiting thing I've heard about the game. Colour me interested.
zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

[QUOTE="lightleggy"][QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

Exactly. Even Crytek seems to think something was wrong with 2. They even admitted that launching the PC version without a proper options menu was a mistake.

They seem tobe improving on the problems of 2 and that's good. So not everyone thought it was a huge improvement.

call_of_duty_10

Just for the record, C2 didn't underperformed financially, it managed to sell more copies in 3 months than crysis 1 in 3 years.

Considering how much higher crysis 2's budget was,3 mil on 3 platforms is pathetic.Crytek was hoping for 8-9 mil.No wonder they had to close down a few studios after crysis 2.

How hypocrite of you to say that Crytek backstabbed yet you have an EPIC GAME's upcoming game in your sig.

Avatar image for theshadowhunter
theshadowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#212 theshadowhunter
Member since 2004 • 2956 Posts

well I'm personally not hyping this game at all, but I never played Crysis 2, it looks kinda meh, I'll wait for reviews. But Crysis 2 didnt have the charm of the first.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#213 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
The launch of C2 on PC wasn't the best, there were some heavy oversights that just would not have happened if it was a PC only title. Quite frankly I am surprised they even happened at all considering their previous work. It's clear that Crytek have jumped back a bit and questioned what went wrong and even asked some of the audience. C3 is a chance to set the wrongs right.
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

The launch of C2 on PC wasn't the best, there were some heavy oversights that just would not have happened if it was a PC only title. Quite frankly I am surprised they even happened at all considering their previous work. It's clear that Crytek have jumped back a bit and questioned what went wrong and even asked some of the audience. C3 is a chance to set the wrongs right. nutcrackr

I think it is a bit late, a lot of PC gamers would no longer purchase a crytek product.

Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

[QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"]

[QUOTE="lightleggy"] Just for the record, C2 didn't underperformed financially, it managed to sell more copies in 3 months than crysis 1 in 3 years.zeeshanhaider

Considering how much higher crysis 2's budget was,3 mil on 3 platforms is pathetic.Crytek was hoping for 8-9 mil.No wonder they had to close down a few studios after crysis 2.

How hypocrite of you to say that Crytek backstabbed yet you have an EPIC GAME's upcoming game in your sig.

I think you quoted the wrong post.The game in my sig was released in the 90s and Epic games isn't related to it in any way whatsoever.
zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

[QUOTE="zeeshanhaider"]

[QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"] Considering how much higher crysis 2's budget was,3 mil on 3 platforms is pathetic.Crytek was hoping for 8-9 mil.No wonder they had to close down a few studios after crysis 2.

call_of_duty_10

I think you quoted the wrong post.The game in my sig was released in the 90s and Epic games isn't related to it in any way whatsoever.

Is it policenauts?

I confused it with fortnite.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#217 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

They betrayed teh master race by sharing Crysis with the consolites. Unforgivable!

rjdofu

Your sig is amazing.

Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

[QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"][QUOTE="zeeshanhaider"]

zeeshanhaider

Is it policenauts?

I confused it with fortnite.

Road Rash
HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#219 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13670 Posts

[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]

They did not sell out to consoles. They just expanded their business. They owe nothing to PC gamers and no one give me that PC gamers made Crytek BS. Crytek made a good product and made themselves. It is not like there was some huge charity drive for Crytek that PC gamers hosted. Hell the only reason most PC gamers cared at all about Crysis is so they could say Oh look how great the graphics in PC gaming are compared to you silly console users. Also anyone that hates on Crytek now just sounds like some hipster hating on the mainstream developer and they were only cool when just the PC gamers knew about them.

tenaka2

Gamers voted with their wallets, crysys 2 sales were very dissappointing and crytek had to sack staff.

You piss off your userbase, your products don't sell.

Crysis 2 sold over 3m.

Not sure how much the first Crysis sold. But that doesn't look dissappointing.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]

They did not sell out to consoles. They just expanded their business. They owe nothing to PC gamers and no one give me that PC gamers made Crytek BS. Crytek made a good product and made themselves. It is not like there was some huge charity drive for Crytek that PC gamers hosted. Hell the only reason most PC gamers cared at all about Crysis is so they could say Oh look how great the graphics in PC gaming are compared to you silly console users. Also anyone that hates on Crytek now just sounds like some hipster hating on the mainstream developer and they were only cool when just the PC gamers knew about them.

HalcyonScarlet

Gamers voted with their wallets, crysys 2 sales were very dissappointing and crytek had to sack staff.

You piss off your userbase, your products don't sell.

Crysis 2 sold over 3m.

Not sure how much the first Crysis sold. But that doesn't look dissappointing.

Estimates are 250k for PC sales versus 3 million for crysis 1. That is rather a large difference and shows how pissed the PC fanbase were.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"]Wait, isn't that the second level? If so, that spot is ridiculously obvious; the game practically leads you there by the scruff of your neck. If this is the "imagination" I supposedly lacked when playing Crysis, I'm entirely unimpressed.lowe0

Those were an annoyance, as I would have preferred to approach from the water. But, y'know, tactical openness and all meant I had to come at it from the bridge by the gas station. (If you're willing to keep dying and reloading, it's doable, but that's just exploiting a game mechanic.)

Coming in from the back by boat/swimming is one alternate route I took. Another is the sniper's nest up in the hill. Frontal attacks through one of the two front entrances can be done with stealth and thinning out the (KPA) herd. Blowing up the claymores which wreaked havoc among the KPA is one way I did the latter. Obviously, I don't just come in guns blazing which often result in dying and reloading.

NAPK1NS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#222 NAPK1NS
Member since 2004 • 14870 Posts
When I first got my PC I booted up Crysis and it became one of my favorite shooters evar. The gameplay is so dynamic and the action so taught - and DAMN did it look good. I admit it, after the greatness that was Crysis and Warhead, I threw down $60 for C2. Easily one of the most disappointing games I've bought this generation. It looks pretty good, but they made it feel like AHEM-other competing shooters on the market. The "open-word" is actually the illusion of freedom, much like Dishonored. You get to an area and there's essentially point A,B and C of entry. Crysis let you do whatever you wanted. Lure out a truck from a base, shoot out the driver, cruise back in and raise hell - THAT'S the freedom I associate with Crysis. The third one looks nice, and what I expected from Crysis 2. But I'm good, I'll just replay Warhead for free.
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts

[QUOTE="rjdofu"]

the_bi99man

Your sig is amazing.

:D