Does anyone still read or care about written reviews at all?

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

I'm asking because yesterday I took part in a discussion about the purpose of game reviews, a lot of gaming journalists and other people connected with the world of video games were engaged in a discussion, including Adrian Chmielarz from People Can Fly.

Anyway, long story short, the catalyst for the discussion was me writing a Far Cry 4 review that was 28 thousands characters long, and 34k if you included spaces. I have a problem in that I think I write too lengthy reviews and I can't help it. On the one hand, a journalist friend of mine once said that in this business you have to be able to perceive more layers of reality than a normal person would and thus it'd make you more appealing than the other critic, and to me being informative and dilligent is the greatest good about writing. Especially that so many reviews these days are extremely superficial, written prior to the game's completion, as superficial as the bullshots that are used in them and also catered towards publishers themselves. In fact the words "bullshots" and "bullshit" have never been any closer to each other before.

On the other hand, though, people seek for instant gratification and might prefer let's play videos on youtube or video-reviews.

In some cases people are still old-fashioned, however. Eurogamer made a look-back on Alien Isolation the other day and they did it in the form of a video, and actually a lot of people in the comments were enraged that they're becoming IGN-like, and actually preferred a written word.

Anyway, what's your take on this?

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

All the time. Playing Freedom Wars right now and was diving into written reviews to see what to expect. That and Vita games generally have no video reviews

I prefer video reviews

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

I'll be honest, I'm usually more prone to checking out a video review.

Partially because I'm just being lazy. Partially because hey, I want to see the game in action while listening to the opinions of someone who played it. The biggest kicker though? So many reviews are written so poorly.

I can always appreciate a well written review and often times I'd rather have that than a video. They're just increasingly difficult to come by these days.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Read a review is better than just get a score/number. But the review need to be written good, informative.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

Well written reviews are hard to come across so I usually tend to watch video reviews more because I like seeing the game in action and judging for myself whether I would like it or not. Greg Kasavin and Jeff Gerstman had quality written reviews here on GS but ever since them I tend to simply watch reviews now.

silkylove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 silkylove
Member since 2002 • 8579 Posts

I rarely watch video reviews unless I'm on gametrailers. I prefer written.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

This is actually a good point. The score alone abstracts the actual process of evaluation. Some of the best film reviews don't even have ratings. Why doesn't this happen for video game reviews? Oh yeah, similar to film reviews, the review industry is heavily under the sway of cash from devs/publishers/partners etc.

"Review Embargos" "Relative Standards" "The Bar" etc. more bs from all big game companies today.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#8 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

I prefer video reviews. I don't like to read for some reason, except when I'm playing the game. I don't like to read but that doesn't mean I hate it all the time. When no video reviews are available, I can read it instead but I want it short, precise and to the point.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

I never gave much weight to reviews, normally I watch a few gameplay vids and articles on the game to get a general idea of whats on offer and if I'm interested will get the game(s)..

The only part of reviews I generally read is the short Pros & Cons bullet points section... Personally i believe reviews' scores primarily grab the interest of fanboys rather than gamers..

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

to be honest..... I never gave a shit about written reviews, the last time I read one was like in 2005.

I do read articles and things that are happening in the gaming bizz and what not but I've read less and less since everything you need to know seems to be done in video format or podcast. And its easier to have a video or podcast playing while you are multitasking.

Same goes with game reviews, I just go by what people are saying (either a multiple of vidoe reviews, gaming youtube channels podcast etc.), than what people are writing (which most time is the same).

Do I think a video review is better? or are the great ways to take a stand on a game? no. Do I think a collection of reviews is a solid way to make you mind on a game, yeah sure. Im not gonna go with just GS video review for a game, however will go with a combination of 4-5 video reviews from multiple sources before reading a written review tho.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5249 Posts

I strongly prefer written reviews as I can learn a thing or two about the game that the reviewer mentioned. However, if I prefer video reviews, it would be gametrailers.com because I like the narrator's voice.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#12 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries:

I find with school, I have less time for games and reading reviews or news than I used to. I know the series I like, the developers I like and usually give them the benefit of the doubt.

Two reviews stood out to me this year. Destiny because I had a lot of fun with it, but it was weak in the story sense. But I don't think the devs were going for that in this game, of course I could well be wrong because I am not an employee of Bungie. Next Master Chief Collection because I had little trouble with the game but totally understand that I was in the minority. I even posted about the possibility of some servers in certain areas working better and other posters here agreed. So I understand and agree with the mediocre to weak review the game got.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Not really, no.

Sometimes I'll read some of GB crew's reviews. Or a review people consider "controversial", just to see what's up. People like numbers a lot more, which is why they should go.

hello505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hello505
Member since 2013 • 523 Posts

Written reviews sound pretentious as ****, don't bother with them.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

Most gaming reviews which are written are quick poorly written and only basically tell you there thoughts on it, I remember back in the day where reviews were about the game and not about the person opinion on it, that was a whole other section of the review, a review should be an unbiased take on how gameplay and story and graphics all work, and not on whether they liked it or not, which seems to be the case nowadays.

I like watching reviews, but I think the only true video review which is good are the ones from angry joe which can go on as long as half an hour talking about every aspect of the game and his own opinions but all mixed in which is a nice change.

I do love written reviews more just because they go into more detail than most video reviews on main gaming sites.

hello505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hello505
Member since 2013 • 523 Posts

Angry Joe is a rambling, nonsensical oaf.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

@hello505 said:

Angry Joe has some of the best and most informative reviews though. He not only gives his opinion, he then goes to show visual proof of what he is talking about and what made him form his opinion.

In that sense whether you agree with his final review score or not, you know the info he talked about in the game is not BS. I prefer this to most reviewers who simply give their opinion on how they feel and ignore flaws or strengths a game has when delivering their review.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#18 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

I occasionally check what score games get and that's about all I can stomach when it comes to reviews. Critics have become so jaded at this point that I seriously can't trust them to help me make good purchases.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45103 Posts

I like to read reviews after I've played the game, to see if I agree with them or not

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

@parkurtommo said:

I occasionally check what score games get and that's about all I can stomach when it comes to reviews. Critics have become so jaded at this point that I seriously can't trust them to help me make good purchases.

@SolidGame_basic said:

I like to read reviews after I've played the game, to see if I agree with them or not

This and this.

Honestly i DON'T usually look at video reviews before playing at game I am interested in because I can usually tell a quality game just from previously released game clips and I don't wont to get spoilers from incompetent reviewers spoiling parts of my game experience.

So, I do usually read a bit of what a reviewer has to say if there is "information" to be gained, but I generally ignore their overall opinion most times because their opinion probably isn't a reflection of what I may think if I have already identified interest in the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#21 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Nope. I like to see the game in action. Video reviews only for me. I dont read reviews since the old days when I bought gaming magazines

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Not me.... those days are over.... but I will read indepth articles and of games and design concepts.... but I havent read a review in so long...

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#23 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

I'm in the business of writing reviews as well, and to be honest I think the question shouldn't whether written reviews matter. They do, because if they didn't exist they'd be no well-informed opinions to help people pre-purchase. The question for me is, do we really need quite so many people writing reviews? Is there really a market of readership for that the number of reviews being written?

Post Gamergate a seemingly huge number of small sites have popped-up to fill the reviews-for-the-gamer-everyman niche. So many opinions that the voice of writers has become diluted. They need a new angle, different games to cover, something. Otherwise all these writers will warble each other out.

I try to stick to covering things other outlets don't catch. Imports, extra-game material (novels, comics, movies), translations of things other sites miss or didn't think much of.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

I only watch Angry Joe's video reviews because they are funny but I usually don't read or watch any kind of reviews because I don't need them. Most, if not all, games are repetitive and its gameplay very systematic. By playing a game for a few minutes or just watch some gameplay anybody with a couple of years of experience with games should be able to tell if they will like the game or not.

Avatar image for littlestreakier
littlestreakier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By littlestreakier
Member since 2004 • 2950 Posts

I usually perfer video reviews because it includes gameplay recordings so I feel like it gives me more time to see the game in actions. I'll read written reviews but it's based on the environment, example, I'm on a train and forgot my headphones.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

For entertainment purposes, yeah. I prefer videos over reading but I normally watch the video first and read the text afterwards.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Yes I do. I don't think scores are indicative. The review tells you the right and wrong. Though writing a lengthy review isn't necessarily a good review. Much like speeches the best is to get your point across in a minimal amount of time so the message doesn't get lost.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

I don't really care for any reviewers opinion. Written or on a video. Instead, I watch GiantBomb quick looks to get a taste of a game to see if it's something I would enjoy. I buy most games anyway, but if I'm on the fence and there is a quick look, I'm watching it.

@kinectthedots said:

@hello505 said:

Angry Joe has some of the best and most informative reviews though. He not only gives his opinion, he then goes to show visual proof of what he is talking about and what made him form his opinion.

In that sense whether you agree with his final review score or not, you know the info he talked about in the game is not BS. I prefer this to most reviewers who simply give their opinion on how they feel and ignore flaws or strengths a game has when delivering their review.

I would rather have personal opinion removed all together. Joe's opinions are not his, but those of the Youtube comments section anyways. Joe waits a day or two, sees what the community is bitching about and then makes a rant video catering to his audience. It's a smart approach to take in an industry that relies on views. But I would NEVER use his videos for informative purposes.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#29 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

I'll check out reviews but won't take everything they say to heart. My tastes don't match completely with a reviewer's and they may think somethings a con while to me it's a pro, or I may take offense more to a buggy mess than they do.

In all honestly though, I'd rather listen to what a reviewer has say than read it. I'd love it if there were less video reviews showing gameplay and more reviews that were more like a radio segment that would then jump into a post-review discussion with a couple other people where they can share and compare their thoughts on the game.

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

Just video reviews from youtube, I have lost a lot of faith with reviews from gaming sites because they are full of crap I don't care about.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

I do for games on the fence about getting, otherwise I know pretty early on if I want to buy a game day 1.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

i prefer written reviews

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I depend on "professional" written reviews to make a decision on whether I buy a game or not. Videos aren't ideal because I often have to rewind/advance videos several times to remember the salient points I'm looking for. Another factor is I may not like the voice/acting of the presenter on the video.

With written reviews, I can focus on a paragraph and leave it there until I deem it's time to move on.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

I usally look at both. Written I can skim to read the points im looking for. After that I look at vid reviews to see how the game is.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@GoldenElementXL said:

I don't really care for any reviewers opinion. Written or on a video. Instead, I watch GiantBomb quick looks to get a taste of a game to see if it's something I would enjoy. I buy most games anyway, but if I'm on the fence and there is a quick look, I'm watching it.

@kinectthedots said:

@hello505 said:

I would rather have personal opinion removed all together. Joe's opinions are not his, but those of the Youtube comments section anyways. Joe waits a day or two, sees what the community is bitching about and then makes a rant video catering to his audience. It's a smart approach to take in an industry that relies on views. But I would NEVER use his videos for informative purposes.

Loading Video...

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

Nope. It's proably been years since I've read a Gamespot article. They could fire the whole editorial staff and I wouldn't notice.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I skip over boring words and read numbers.

I should point out I hate literacy in general.

---

lol.

As far as GS reviews...I honestly don't care about GS reviews at all. I knew this with their reviews in the 1990's and my opinion hasn't changed. I never joined this site for the reviews. I got used to them with the SW metagame, but that's all that ever was. GS likes or hates a game? Eh.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

No, well not from gamespot at least. Reviewers like to either nitpick too much or go off on some philosophical tangent, when the only thing I want to know is whether a game is fun or not. So for me, I primarily stick to watching gameplay videos to form my opinion.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#39  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries: The answer is no...

Personally im the reviewer of my games and noone else. I refuse to take some others guy opinion with the same or even less experience than me in gaming as a fact or as a way to buy games.. So to read a review which is even more time consuming ? Naaah i pass.

Im watching the critics reviews rather than reading mainly to get an idea of games i havent seen yet/ played myself yet since im the reviewer for myself and im deciding if i like a game , if its 10 or 9 or 5 and if it deserves my money. Noone else does and never will. Specially guys with less experience or years in gaming than i do.

cyclops10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 cyclops10
Member since 2004 • 696 Posts

I generally don't care about any opinion when it comes to subjective forms of entertainment other than my own.

Effec_Tor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#41 Effec_Tor
Member since 2014 • 914 Posts

I dot trust printed game reviews anymore.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I don't read reviews thoroughly, mainly because I don't care *that* much about someone's opinion on whether or not a video game is good. I'll give it a brief skim for the general vibe, that's all I need to assist in my decision making. Also, this alleviates any spoilers (even very minor ones, like the tone of a game) and maintains the mystery.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#43 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

I appreciate reviews that focus on positive aspects of the game, and I really detest reviews that start sarcastically, cynically, or have any sort of baked in or opinionated conventional wisdom. What a waste of my time.

I suppose that's my feelings on reviews in general.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

I prefer video reviews, but I still occasionally read a written review for games I'm unsure about.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#45 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

Primarily people seem to care about the score first and foremost, if a game scores well I think people are less inclined to read about it but if it scores bad they'll read it to complain about what the reviewer complains about.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#46 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17426 Posts

I prefer Youtube reviews. I find that individuals tend to be more honest and fair to games and play the whole game.

Often, review sites push out the reviews to be first so they miss things. Not to mention the possible ads for said game on said site my be influencing the score.

Writtens scores are dying because of video reviews, kind of how newspapers are dying because of digital news

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#47 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

No not really.

And while I would argue there is nothing wrong with writing something super long, the **** are you even talking about Far Cry 4 with for 28k words. That's a massive waste of the readers time unless the game legit has so many fascinating aspects that are worth dissecting. Otherwise here and there I'll read something from US Gamer, or honestly my boy Towers.

http://www.laserlemming.com/2014/12/08/this-war-of-mine-review-****-the-war/

http://www.laserlemming.com/2014/03/24/1954-alcatraz-review/

http://www.laserlemming.com/2014/01/23/metal-gear-rising-revengeance-review/

Every now and then he'll flex out a long ass review, but for the most part what I enjoy is how detailed he is about his criticism/praise, while also messing with his writing style from write up to write up. Usually going out of his way to match the tone and feel of the game. It's clever shit.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

If I read reviews I would have never found out that I love Yakuza games.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

I never really stopped to think about it but the quick answer is yes. I like to check out gameplay while they review so that eliminates reading. Plus my reading level has regressed to the point where i can only write. huh?

KingJuggaNott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#50 KingJuggaNott
Member since 2013 • 200 Posts

I still read reviews etc, but I won't base any of my purchases soley off of a review. I basically read to get as much information on the games that I'm interested in.