Does anyone else feel betrayed by Sony and this PS4 Neo?

• 114 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14806 Posts

@clyde46: You couldn't have described my thoughts, and I'm sure of many others, any better. Very well put.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#102 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@SOedipus said:

@clyde46: You couldn't have described my thoughts, and I'm sure of many others, any better. Very well put.

I'm waiting for Cash's response. When he's not frothing at the mouth, he can put forward quite reasoned arguments.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

@clyde46:

You're argument...don't you claim to be a PC gamer?

I guess I can sum up what you said as not only being stupid for someone living in 2016 but also hypocritical as someone who claims to be a PC gamer. Companies don't owe you shit for new revisions of products they come out with you already bought.

PS4 released in 2013 PS4Neo won't release til end 2016 early 2017 roughly 4 years. Any revision seen would have been an improvement to the older units but this one simply takes on additional benefits of the current tech and prices in the market to benefit the platform.

Claiming you're "mad" or "betrayed" because a company made improvements on a device years later due to the natural progression of time and tech is childish and naive. Companies don't owe your shit be it a phone compnay, a car dealership or the GPU manufacturer that you PC fanboys are so hype to boast about. When you buy the product they have on hand at the time and it does what it says it does THAT'S IT!

When that new 1080GTX comes out and hermits who bought the 980TI for a shit ton more, do you expect Nvidia to give you guys a refund because they made a better cheaper device? They are "betraying" you right? That's your argument and yeah it's as stupid as his and you're a hypocrite for even trying to defend his stand.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@casharmy said:

@clyde46:

You're argument...don't you claim to be a PC gamer?

I guess I same sum up with you said as no only being stupid for someone living in 2016 but also hypocritical as someone who claims to be a PC gamer. Companies don't owe you shit for new revisions of products they come out with you already bought.

PS4 released in 2013 PS4Neo won't release til end 2016 early 2017 roughly 4 years. Any revision seen would have been an improvement to the older units but this one simply takes on additional benefits of the current tech and prices in the market to benefit the platform.

Claiming you're "mad" or "betrayed" because a company made improvements on a device years later due to the natural progression of time and tech is childish and naive. Companies don't owe your shit be it a phone compnay, a car dealership or the GPU manufacturer that you PC fanboys are so hype to boast about. When you buy the product they have on hand at the time and it does what it says it does THAT'S IT!

When that new 1080 comes out and you bought the 980TI for a shit ton more do you expect Nvidia to give you a refund because they made a better cheaper device? That's your argument and yeah it's as stupid as his and you're a hypocrite for even trying to defend his stand.

I am a PC gamer through and through, incremental upgrades aren't a new thing for me. Hell I bought two 980Ti's at the end of 2015 begining of 2016 so with the new 1080's out, my cards have been trumped.

My argument is not that companies should offer trade in's or massively reduce the cost of the new device for early adopters of the original device but I believe its wrong to instantly dismiss the view of someone who claims they feel "betrayed" without asking why.

You say that "companies don't own you shit" which is true however it is not the attitude that most portray. Big companies are always on the charm offensive, saying about how much they care about their customers, about how they are a real person to them and not just another statistic or number so its obvious why people get so upperty about stuff like this. They invested in the original device and now the company is bringing out a new one they feel like they aren't welcome any more. This isn't about facts or figures, how good the new device is or whatever, its about the feeling of consumers. How they react to such news because we all know that consumers in general are a fickle bunch. Quite happy to get a new smart phone every year yet bulk at the idea of buying another console 4 years after the release of the previous one. There is a fine line for which to judge consumer feeling about a new device. Introduce one too early and you get a backlash from people who aren't done with the original, leave it too late and you'll see your customers move to other devices.

As I said above, I make no bones about incremental upgrades. As a PC gamer is it expected yet I can see why people who aren't used to that would get so wound up about it.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@elkoldo said:
@emgesp said:
@elkoldo said:

Millions of people have already paid a hard-earned 400$ to get their PS4s; Take myself as an example: Just a few weeks back, with the release of Uncharted 4, I finally gave in and bought a PS4 (and the prices in my country are much higher than anywhere else in the world), only to find out today that a new version of the console is on the way which is more powerful (4k resolution is confirmed, I assume the frame rates and overall visual quality will also be significantly improved). Basically the difference between the two consoles will be that of a medicore and a high-end PC.

Doesn't this somehow stink? Forcing people to pay twice for the same console?

You only learned today? You've been on Gamespot since 2009, yet you're totally out of the loop?

First of all, games will not be 4K native.

Also, and most importantly, Sony isn't forcing anyone to upgrade. The same games will be playable on both consoles.

No I'd read every article about it, the point is, none of them was confirmed until today, also, if a game is playable on two PS4s, one of which running in on lower graphical setting, the other running it on higher setting, wouldn't you be tempted to buy the superior PS4, even though you have already bought the inferior PS4? That's what I mean by forcing.

I'd much rather just buy an Xbox Scorpio vs upgrading my PS4. That way I have two consoles which each have their unique games and I can just start buying multiplats for the Scorpio as they will be superior over vanilla PS4.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@TheEroica said:

Betrayed isn't the right word, but certainly I'm now suspect of Sony hardware moving forward.

They probably just ended any chance I'd support them on day 1 with a console purchase again.

Gamers can actually dictate whether we like or reject this whole mid cycle console jump by not buying it... Make them drop the price and scramble to save it... But lol, we won't. Gamers will validate this new shitty approach in week one with big sale numbers and Sony will start planning for another mid generational leap console. :/

Why are you against mid cycle hardware upgrades, especially if the older model will continue to be supported?

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

I am not sure if people here are serious about some of the frankly moronic comments on the neo. Sony has said that the original ps4 and the neo will play the same games. Sony has said the original ps4 will continue to be sold. Sony said all the features (psn/apps/achievements...) will still function normally.

Yet here trolls say they are betrayed,they are being forced ect ect. WTF I know this is system wars and most likely little kids who are broke are crying. Mommy I want the neo cause little Johnny has one cries ect.

Grow up kids it's optional just because there is a new ps4, does not mean your mommy has to get it for you. Be happy with what your mom bought you and stop crying. If your a adult (sigh) You need Jesus or head meds or stop trolling. I know this is system wars but this is sad.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22689 Posts

@emgesp: I don't think it helps strengthen the case for home consoles. Especially moving forward. I think prioritizing the need for "more power" in the face of early adopters, who will now potentially feel once bitten twice shy, is a mistake moving forward.

We actually don't need more power in our home consoles despite the "performance gap" our pc brethren like to remind us of. What we need is fresh ideas to utilize the power we have now.

Phreek300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#109 Phreek300
Member since 2007 • 672 Posts

I'm sure this has already been said a few times, but I will chime in. TBPH, no. As long as the older system has full compatibility with the games then I'm ok with it. I know the NEO really more for VR performance and 4k compatibility. If PSVR doesn't end up like move did, then I might get one to get the extra performance. But as it stands now I have no plans to purchase one. Looking from the outside in, if I was a potential customer I would wait on the NEO to get the extra power it can provide.

I'm also sure that there will be a trade i program at Gamestop. It will be a rip off. But something is generally better than nothing right?

Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Wizard
Member since 2015 • 940 Posts

@casharmy: Buying a new graphics card or other PC upgrade isn't the same as getting a new console. A new graphics card has never limited the games you can play (Except buying 4 on Origin or something) as Nvidia and AMD aren't like Sony and MS, dictating exclusives, licensing, whatever. Buying a new console and selling your old one often means sacrificing much or all of your game library. PC doesn't have this issue. In the case of NEO I'm sure it's no where near that drastic but there are rumors about NEO not having complete BC. Plopping a new 1080 in place of a 980 Ti (sold for 350-400) costs about 300 and you don't need to chuck some of your game library.

Edit: Rumor was debunked apparently, but point still stands.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Brah4ever
Member since 2016 • 1704 Posts

@TheEroica said:

@emgesp: I don't think it helps strengthen the case for home consoles. Especially moving forward. I think prioritizing the need for "more power" in the face of early adopters, who will now potentially feel once bitten twice shy, is a mistake moving forward.

We actually don't need more power in our home consoles despite the "performance gap" our pc brethren like to remind us of. What we need is fresh ideas to utilize the power we have now.

Exactly, everyone is asking for more powah!

But nobody is asking for games that play different/better from last gen hence this is gen 7.5.

Pro-Tip guys? Demand better games.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22689 Posts

@brah4ever: the power conversation is actually growing more embarrassing by the day. Gamers who join in on this topic are mostly to blame. It hit a fever pitch at e3 a couple years ago and somehow the conversation about 720p and 900p became more important than the Shanghai that is AAA games.

All the resolution and buttery smooth Frame rates on earth are not going to make the next bazillion 3rd and first person shooters a lick better... Stale is Stale.

You could even argue it's simply an uprezed gen 6hd

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Brah4ever
Member since 2016 • 1704 Posts

@TheEroica said:

@brah4ever: the power conversation is actually growing more embarrassing by the day. Gamers who join in on this topic are mostly to blame. It hit a fever pitch at e3 a couple years ago and somehow the conversation about 720p and 900p became more important than the Shanghai that is AAA games.

All the resolution and buttery smooth Frame rates on earth are not going to make the next bazillion 3rd and first person shooters a lick better... Stale is Stale.

You could even argue it's simply an uprezed gen 6hd

Exactly, we can get 10x the power but will the games be there? Remember games are taking longer to develop now.

Will the games play better?

Nobody cares, they"ll just look better so whatever.

Gen 6 kind of set the standard for everything today in terms of game design, there were a lot of games and Japan was thriving as well. PS2 was the weakest and nobody cared, they just played games.

This has me believing this power debacle is started by a newer generation of gamers who started gaming around the time of CoD 4 (when gaming was finally considered cool). To them gaming before then was considered nerdy or for losers. All they want is pretty graphics to show off to their friends and gawk at while the gameplay hasn't changed from the past releases.

Avatar image for deactivated-57adcc01ab2b1
deactivated-57adcc01ab2b1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By deactivated-57adcc01ab2b1
Member since 2016 • 329 Posts

Why would I be since there's no games that are being exclusively made for it, it's just optional hardware that's more powerful.

I didn't even feel betrayed by the New 3DS XL either