Do you think 'Red Dead Redemption' is/will be a classic of the Western genre?

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you think 'Red Dead Redemption' is/will be a classic of the Western genre? (42 votes)

Yes, it is/will be a classic of the Western genre. 79%
No, it is not/will not be a classic of the Western genre. 21%

There are many parts to the Western genre.... movies, TV shows, books, video-games, etc., and the genre itself has several different subgenres.

I know that something has to be at least 25 years old to be a true classic, but some people think that there is such a thing as an "instant classic", so I tried to reflect this distinction in the title.

So, do you think Red Dead Redemption is/will be a classic of the Western genre as a whole? Not just in the video-game department, but also when compared to movies, TV shows and books of the same genre.

I think so. It is easily the best video-game in the Western genre, and I think it has played a part in a full revival of the genre as a whole. It's capturing of the atmosphere and soul of the traditional Western mixed in with the Post-Western genre while also paying homage to the Spaghetti Westerns of old is very well done. Plus the strong dialogue, unique characters and strong story make it, in my opinion, one that will be looked upon as a classic of the entire Western genre someday.

• 
cooolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#51 cooolio
Member since 2013 • 586 Posts

@biggest_loser said:

Western films were generally about moral lessons and questions of ethics. Red Dead, being a game, is about the action.

It would have nothing compared to the likes of Unforgiven, The Good the bad and the Ugly, The Ox Bow Incident, High Noon and so on.

I feel like that is giving the give less credit than it deserves. It is an open world game, there is no escaping that, but a lot of the events and subplots have there on messages if you actually pay attention. There is the tragic tale of a prostitute, the story of a woman who used you to bring a family tragedy, a man who left his home and met a tragic end. One of the most interesting stranger missions has you encounter a man who claims to know John, this man is likely death himself

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#52 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

It's easily the face of Old West games, at least without mutants. In regards to other media it will have to age quite a bit.

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 elkoldo
Member since 2009 • 1832 Posts

It certainly was an instant classic. It should definitely be in he same boat as the likes of The Man With No Name trilogy. The concept behind Red Redemption's story is even more meaningful than the most respected Western movies.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22416 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

To me it already is a classic. Considerably better than GTA games. What I especially liked about it was the ambiguity about the character of John Marston who was seemingly somebody who had a tough upbringing yet somehow ended up being profound at the same time.

Yep agreed.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#55 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@mitu123 said:

Yep, in my top 5 fave Western games out there, we need another one and a PC port!!!

There are 5 western games :O ?

Yes, I played them all, lol.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46652 Posts

@mitu123 said:

:P

Seriously underrated setting for video games.

I'm a big fan of RDR and Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive, but I have a hard time thinking of many games that have a Western setting.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@mitu123 said:

:P

Seriously underrated setting for video games.

I'm a big fan of RDR and Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive, but I have a hard time thinking of many games that have a Western setting.

Well in the OP, I'm not just asking if RDR is a classic to video-games... I'm asking if it's a classic to the entire Western genre, compared to movies and TV shows and books in the genre.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

@cooolio said:

@biggest_loser said:

Western films were generally about moral lessons and questions of ethics. Red Dead, being a game, is about the action.

It would have nothing compared to the likes of Unforgiven, The Good the bad and the Ugly, The Ox Bow Incident, High Noon and so on.

I feel like that is giving the give less credit than it deserves. It is an open world game, there is no escaping that, but a lot of the events and subplots have there on messages if you actually pay attention. There is the tragic tale of a prostitute, the story of a woman who used you to bring a family tragedy, a man who left his home and met a tragic end. One of the most interesting stranger missions has you encounter a man who claims to know John, this man is likely death himself

I agree with cooolio. Saying that RDR is just about the action is giving it way less credit than it deserves.

The game has themes and subtext, and it makes its themes very obvious once you pay attention. It is a story about morality and ethics just as much as any western film.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46652 Posts

@Kevlar101 said:

Well in the OP, I'm not just asking if RDR is a classic to video-games... I'm asking if it's a classic to the entire Western genre, compared to movies and TV shows and books in the genre.

My knowledge of other Western media isn't the best either. Though there are some great movies I enjoyed.

It's always hard for me to compare video games to other media. As they should never be a linear experience like a book, TV show or movie. But if I really had to say than yeah: RDR is among the best of the Western genre.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#61 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

There aren't many Western games out there. Red Dead Redemption is a spectacular example of a Western game done incredibly right.

If it can't be considered a classic now (due to age), it will definitely be one when it comes time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#62 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

It was a solid beautiful game deserving to be recalled as a classic. I never got passed the 3rd mission because I was going thru hard times and could never enjoy it.

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#63 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

Storyline wise and setting yeah it was phenomenal. Gameplay wise no, that was one of the most boring game I ever played.

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts

Best on PC.

lol

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#65 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15598 Posts

I didn't love the game or the story so as far as I'm concerned, no. It was moderately enjoyable only. I would never compare it to any classic movies.

samusarmada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#66  Edited By samusarmada
Member since 2005 • 5816 Posts

I didn't really like the game but I still think it deserves to be placed alongside western greats from other mediums. While films and books have far better writing and characters, the game's atmosphere and, y'know, the fact it was a game that you could explore a very detailed portion of the American West gives it something complementary to those other mediums. If there were to be a presentation of 'the western' in the arts then I think the interactive depiction, particularly one so well detailed as RDR, would strengthen that exhibition.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

Yep alone side this classic...

Loading Video...