Do you think 'Red Dead Redemption' is/will be a classic of the Western genre?

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you think 'Red Dead Redemption' is/will be a classic of the Western genre? (42 votes)

Yes, it is/will be a classic of the Western genre. 79%
No, it is not/will not be a classic of the Western genre. 21%

There are many parts to the Western genre.... movies, TV shows, books, video-games, etc., and the genre itself has several different subgenres.

I know that something has to be at least 25 years old to be a true classic, but some people think that there is such a thing as an "instant classic", so I tried to reflect this distinction in the title.

So, do you think Red Dead Redemption is/will be a classic of the Western genre as a whole? Not just in the video-game department, but also when compared to movies, TV shows and books of the same genre.

I think so. It is easily the best video-game in the Western genre, and I think it has played a part in a full revival of the genre as a whole. It's capturing of the atmosphere and soul of the traditional Western mixed in with the Post-Western genre while also paying homage to the Spaghetti Westerns of old is very well done. Plus the strong dialogue, unique characters and strong story make it, in my opinion, one that will be looked upon as a classic of the entire Western genre someday.

• 
Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

To me it already is a classic. Considerably better than GTA games. What I especially liked about it was the ambiguity about the character of John Marston who was seemingly somebody who had a tough upbringing yet somehow ended up being profound at the same time.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Salt_The_Fries

To me it already is a classic. Considerably better than GTA games. What I especially liked about it was the ambiguity about the character of John Marston who was seemingly somebody who had a tough upbringing yet somehow ended up being profound at the same time.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

In terms of video games there's not a lot of choices

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

The only game I traded last gen,tells a lot.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Precisely!

That reminds me of something. Nigel West Dickens, despite being a goofy swindling bunko, probably had a more accurate evaluation of Marston's personality than anyone else in the game did:

"You see, Mr. Marston, you have the exterior of a violent man, but the soul of an angel, and that is what I think I cherish most about you."

- Nigel West Dickens

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Kevlar101

@lostrib said:

Did you even read the damn OP?

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

Can't really compare games to movies or books, except maybe on the narrative quality, in which case RDR is kind of on the disadvantageous side because it's basically a collective homage of the genre anyway.

As a game though.... yes. No other game captured the atmosphere of the genre quite like this, and in that sense RDR stands on its own compared to other heavyweights of the genre, since the experience it provides is quite unique.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#8 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Yep, in my top 5 fave Western games out there, we need another one and a PC port!!!

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Salt_The_Fries

@Kevlar101 ha! I remember that fraud, his eyesight elixir and stuff, he had some funny missions and moments associated with him, such a bullshit artist, I think that fat guy in Black Flag was modeled after him.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Kevlar101

@funsohng said:

Can't really compare games to movies or books, except maybe on the narrative quality, in which case RDR is kind of on the disadvantageous side because it's basically a collective homage of the genre anyway.

As a game though.... yes. No other game captured the atmosphere of the genre quite like this, and in that sense RDR stands on its own compared to other heavyweights of the genre, since the experience it provides is quite unique.

I agree with the second half of your post....not so much the first half, though.

Even though it's individual missions often had elements that paid homage to the genre, it's overall story was something of its own.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Kevlar101

@mitu123 said:

Yep, in my top 5 fave Western games out there, we need another one and a PC port!!!

Not just referring to games ya know... I'm referring to everything related to the Western genre.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 funsohng

@Kevlar101 said:

@funsohng said:

I agree with the second half of your post....not so much the first half, though.

Even though it's individual missions often had elements that paid homage to the genre, it's overall story was something of its own.

Well, the theme of redemption and hard frontier life is just soooo staple in the genre so yeah. It had its own spin I guess.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

If we're just comparing stories here - no, I wouldn't really consider RDR to be a classic in the entire scope of the Western genre. But I do think it's the best Western that videogames have to offer at the moment, so it's a classic in that sense. For something to be classic in the literary sense, It'd need a lot more originality. RDR is nothing more than one big payload of homage to other Westerns.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#14  Edited By mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

@Kevlar101 said:

@mitu123 said:

Not just referring to games ya know... I'm referring to everything related to the Western genre.

Ah yes, that's true as well.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Kevlar101

@funsohng said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@funsohng said:

Well, the theme of redemption and hard frontier life is just soooo staple in the genre so yeah. It had its own spin I guess.

It wasn't about frontier life, where did you get that impression?

It was set during the end of frontier life. It's themes were about modernization and the civilizing of the western territories. Anyone who missed that clearly blacked out during most of the game...

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Kevlar101

@KHAndAnime said:

If we're just comparing stories here - no, I wouldn't really consider RDR to be a classic in the entire scope of the Western genre. But I do think it's the best Western that videogames have to offer at the moment, so it's a classic in that sense. For something to be classic in the literary sense, It'd need a lot more originality. RDR is nothing more than one big payload of homage to other Westerns.

Where did that drivel come from? Anyone who thinks that clearly missed the point.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@Kevlar101 said:

@lostrib said:

Did you even read the damn OP?

yes

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 funsohng

@Kevlar101 said:

@funsohng said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@funsohng said:

It was set during the end of frontier life. It's themes were about modernization and the civilizing of the western territories. Anyone who missed that clearly blacked out during most of the game...

Oh shit you are right.

I don't know why, but Marston struggling to make his farm work kinda stuck to me. It's been a long time since I played it so cut me some slack lol.

Then yeah, I guess you are right, it does have good story. Then again, it's all in cutscenes, and I hate dem cutscenes narrative.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5268 Posts

It may not be now, but it may be a classic in the future.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@Kevlar101 said:

@KHAndAnime said:

Where did that drivel come from? Anyone who thinks that clearly missed the point.

Then please enlighten us. Many other people seem to think along the same line as myself on this subject.

@Kevlar101 said:

A very common theme in Westerns...(not necessarily original, if that's what you're hinting at). Maybe you should check out more Westerns?

Clearly you think RDR has one of the best Western stories out there, while most people probably wouldn't agree with that sentiment. Why exactly do you think the game's story was so good? It was practically a by-the-numbers GTA-formula storyline placed in a lush Western setting. What's so impressive about it? The combination of the setting and the characters?

A basis for any good story is characters - so we can just agree to disagree about the characters in the game. John Marston is a good character but the game is by no means filled with great dialogue, characters, or writing in general. For a videogame, the characters are awesome and entertaining. But undoubtedly most characters are flat and 2D in the personality department.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17675 Posts

Sure, I just wish that it had a rerelease that fixed the framerate problems. It was one of the biggest issues that marred an overall excellent game.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Kevlar101

@KHAndAnime said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@KHAndAnime said:

Then please enlighten us. Many other people seem to think along the same line as myself on this subject.

@Kevlar101 said:

A very common theme in Westerns...(not necessarily original, if that's what you're hinting at). Maybe you should check out more Westerns?

Clearly you think RDR has one of the best Western stories out there, while most people probably wouldn't agree with that sentiment. Why exactly do you think the game's story was so good? It was practically a by-the-numbers GTA-formula storyline placed in a lush Western setting. What's so impressive about it?

Truth be told, I do not have nearly enough energy or patience, or tolerance, to try to defend it. I just, couldn't give any less shits right now.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Salt_The_Fries

To me westerns were never about frontier life in the first place. That's superficial. To me they always were moral tales with blurred morality in an existential and literal wasteland where everybody is flawed. There were plenty of other films, technically not westerns, that were close to them in spirit, such as The Treasure of Sierra Madre with Humphrey Bogart and Wages of Fear starring Yves Montand.

You know what would've made my day on SW? Or even my entire stay? If somebody actually talked about Sierra Madre or Wages with me.

Caseytappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Caseytappy
Member since 2005 • 2199 Posts

Probably game of the generation for me last gen, the 360 version was pretty solid .

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

I would argue that it will be. It is not yet, as too high a percentage of society dismiss games as being anywhere near the same as movies, but lets be honest here, the last of RDR, how it made you feel.

That (atleast to me) was what the Whole game built up towards, and is atleast to me, one of the very best moments in any western told story.

To be honest though, most westerns do suck, so it would not be so hard to make something that was not just sheer stupid bravado thinly vailed as greatness. I can only Count so many good westerns, but RDR does have a good shot at going Down in history as being one of those very good executions of a story.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

I would of liked it more if it was set a little further back in history. Not the end of the western era, more in it's prime.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

**** no. That script is easily outclassed by better western flicks, as a game it comes with the baggage that the gameplay isn't all that good. Bitchin atmosphere and John Marston, but a genuine class across all mediums when it comes to Westerns? No.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44143 Posts

R* did a masterful job creating the look & feel of an old time western so yes. Can't wait to see what they'll do this gen with Red Dead Revolution. :D

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

Compared to movies and other pieces of literatture? Nah.

Though, i'm not biggest western fan myself, but the script for RDR isn't exactly that amazing honestly.

Not really a RDR problem, but a video game problem.

Soethi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Soethi6
Member since 2014 • 425 Posts

My favorite game. Just beat it to 100% last week. Undead Nightmare is great too.

The feeling when you ride in the sunset if mexico with the awesome soundtrack.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#31 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Well, it's one of the best games ever made, so it's automatically the best in it's genre.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9154 Posts

RDR its epic masterpiece one of the best game of all time For me

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#33 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

top 5 last gen

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#34 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

Western films were generally about moral lessons and questions of ethics. Red Dead, being a game, is about the action.

It would have nothing compared to the likes of Unforgiven, The Good the bad and the Ugly, The Ox Bow Incident, High Noon and so on.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

Tells nothing at all actually.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44605 Posts

By a 25 year standard even Sunset Riders is too young to be considered a classic, gaming years are like dog years, it only takes a few years before games are more fondly remembered than evolving standards should allow, or before a new generation of whippersnappers comes onto the gaming scene completely unaware of great games that came before them, or the game is forgotten completely by everyone even though it very well deserves to be remembers.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50587 Posts

@lostrib said:

What I was going to say. I honestly can't even think of another western game. So..yes, it is a classic!

Edit: Oh wait, genre as a whole? Lol, hell no bud.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

@mitu123 said:

There are 5 western games :O ?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

Outside of it and Call of Juarez, I dont know any other Western themed games,

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ariabed

@Heil68 said:

Gun?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@ariabed said:

@MonsieurX said:

Tells nothing at all actually.

Bought and played a lot of games,that I all kept. Except this one

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ariabed

@Heil68 said:

Gun?

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

it already is and you know that seriously whats with all the stupid questions on here that OP knows the answer too

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

@ariabed said:

@Heil68 said:

Gun?

I ever recall playing it but that makes 3 Western themed games since 2005? Not many if you ask me.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#45 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Im surprised the Wild West hasnt been a focus in more games TBH, off the top of my head I can only think of 4 games that where in that setting.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#46 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

I'm gonna say yes. I'm not a fan of westerns and I absolutely LOVED RDR. My 2nd favorite game of last gen. Beat it THREE times already and that ending is still one of the most powerfull ending in a game I've ever seen. The only other western game I liked was GUN but that was kinda bland in comparison.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#47  Edited By Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Yeah. It's a crazy polished game that in an interactive medium is the most interactive Western there is. It fills out spaces that we could only dream of exploring in other genres' Westerns.

Doesn't mean it's a good game though.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9868 Posts

Absolutely, it's the Western game for me (even though I really enjoyed Call of Juarez Gunslinger). It's also a fantastic open world game by any standard and has meant a lot for later R* projects as well as games like Assassin's Creed 4 and Shadow of Mordor (just a couple of examples). It's a true classic, one of the best examples from last gen imo.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#49 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

Will be? It is the western game that all others are measured by.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

Yea. It certainly has some flaws, but I think it was one of the best games of last gen.