Do you buy into the "cinematic" frame rate and letterboxing fad?

• 147 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you buy into the "cinematic" frame rate and letterboxing fad? (94 votes)

Yes, lower frame rates and/or letterboxed resolutions make games more cinematic and film-like. 11%
No, this is nothing more than PR speak from console developers as an excuse for performance problems. 89%

What do you think, SW? Do you think letterboxing and 30 fps caps make a game "more cinematic" as some developers would like you to believe?

• 
Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#51 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

@bldgirsh said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

The only ppl who are concerned with this are PC gamers b/c they go "LOL TRUE 1080P ON PC - CONSOLE SUCK!!!!!"

Most other ppl are open minded and realize it's being done every 100 game that comes out.

Not a real concern.

According to this poll, 91% of people believe its mere PR. How would you respond to that?

I would respond as "Guess I'm right".

If it's just mere PR....then it really shouldn't be a major concern for a thread....I guess it's just that it's a known hermit making the thread that makes it suspect.

The fact that PC can mod a game to get rid of this stuff...it shouldn't really be a topic for them. Again...can't fault, considering how the hermits are here, for thinking this is just an lame attempt to try and make consoles in a negative light.

REKThard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 REKThard
Member since 2014 • 479 Posts

no
it's just an excuse for their weak hardware

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

Developers and publishers are terrified to say anything negative about a particular console, so they explain away shortcomings in their games due to technical limitations as intended features.

The whole "30FPS is more cinematic" argument can be ended with the simple fact that movies don't take direct input from a user, and blurring can be realistically applied to frames in a movie to create the illusion of fluid motion. Neither of these are true for games - they take direct input from a user, and blurring cannot be applied realistically because camera movement is based on user input, so any blurring applied looks rough. Not to mention 30FPS doesn't leave much (or any) headroom for framerate drops because anything lower and you're able to discern the individual frames and the illusion of motion is lost.

I don't think anyone needs an explanation as to why having two black bars on either side of your screen doesn't add to the experience in any way. It's frankly rather insulting they think anyone would fall for that.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@bldgirsh said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

The only ppl who are concerned with this are PC gamers b/c they go "LOL TRUE 1080P ON PC - CONSOLE SUCK!!!!!"

Most other ppl are open minded and realize it's being done every 100 game that comes out.

Not a real concern.

According to this poll, 91% of people believe its mere PR. How would you respond to that?

I would respond as "Guess I'm right".

If it's just mere PR....then it really shouldn't be a major concern for a thread....I guess it's just that it's a known hermit making the thread that makes it suspect.

The fact that PC can mod a game to get rid of this stuff...it shouldn't really be a topic for them. Again...can't fault, considering how the hermits are here, for thinking this is just an lame attempt to try and make consoles in a negative light.

Damn dude...you turned a simple topic about "cinematic design choices" into one of your crusades against PC gamers. You have some deep-seated anger issues, you know that?

JasonN36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 JasonN36
Member since 2014 • 160 Posts

Not only letter boxing my friend, but the actual PR bullshit that's been going on lately. If developers would just admit that the hardware can't take it, it would be fine for gamers, but lying is not.

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Roler42
Member since 2013 • 1067 Posts

Guys, stop giving cranler/huggles attention, it's clear PC gamers bullied him as a kid

Back on topic... The devs of the order 1886 might have just ruined this gen by coining the garbage "cinematic" excuse, it's really a sad day when developers are favouring visuals over gameplay, even sadder that there's gamers who agree with them...

Artistic vision is bad when it gets in the way of the gameplay

Also... No wonder the Souls games are considered hard... Having an intense action fight with monsters at 30 fps? good luck making it out of the fight unscratched thanks to the input lag, lol

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

@timster20 said:

@StrifeDelivery said:

How many games are even using the letterbox look?

Seriously! Just Evil Within and The Order afaik. I would say 5 games within a year would be needed to qualify as a fad. And how is 30 fps a fad when it's been the console standard for years?

Hermits should be happy that console games are staying at 30 fps and using letterboxing since it means better graphics which results in better looking multiplats.

Right, so one game is out, with one coming out in a few months that will use that feature. So 2 all in all. And somehow that is a fad.

30 fps as cinematic could be qualified as a hot trend. Definitely not letterboxing.

miiiiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By miiiiv
Member since 2013 • 943 Posts

No, ofc it's bs. The fact that even 9% here voted yes is laughable. I don't think it's wrong for devs to target 30 fps for certain genres, since they can push for better graphics but they shouldn't lie and say it's because they want their game to be more cinematic.

timster20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 timster20
Member since 2014 • 399 Posts

@StrifeDelivery said:

@timster20 said:

@StrifeDelivery said:

How many games are even using the letterbox look?

Seriously! Just Evil Within and The Order afaik. I would say 5 games within a year would be needed to qualify as a fad. And how is 30 fps a fad when it's been the console standard for years?

Hermits should be happy that console games are staying at 30 fps and using letterboxing since it means better graphics which results in better looking multiplats.

Right, so one game is out, with one coming out in a few months that will use that feature. So 2 all in all. And somehow that is a fad.

30 fps as cinematic could be qualified as a hot trend. Definitely not letterboxing.

How many devs have called 30 fps cinematic?

Tighaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Tighaman
Member since 2006 • 1038 Posts

The Order is the first heavy compute game on the system and the trying to uses 4xmsaa if it wants a steady framerate with that kind of fidelity you got to cut some corners hence blackbars less rendering on screen .............and please don't say well its 2 40 ratio blah blah blah when none of your tvs are native to that ratio.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Mr_Huggles_dog

@roler42: You don't fucking know me....don't act like you do.

@mikhail: I know....it's everything you exaggerated it to be.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 mikhail

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Just remember this topic next time you go on a rant about how PC gamers are terrible and how they are always persecuting and attacking you.

You misread this topic and then derailed it. You alone. It's sad.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Mr_Huggles_dog

@mikhail said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Just remember this topic next time you go on a rant about how PC gamers are terrible and how they are always persecuting and attacking you.

Oh please stfu.

2 other threads have been derailed by clyde and lostrib by attacking me and I didn't start it.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 mikhail

@mr_huggles_dog: We're talking about this thread, dude. Here is where you insert your "They did it some other time therefore it's OK for me to do it here" excuse. Real mature.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50558 Posts

No and I don't like it. Use my whole damn screen, damnit. You too, movies.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Mr_Huggles_dog

@mikhail said:

@mr_huggles_dog: We're talking about this thread, dude. Here is where you insert your "They did it some other time therefore it's OK for me to do it here" excuse. Real mature.

So now SW contents only contain this thread?

Sorry mate....your thread isn't the only thread on SW.

Theres a much bigger world than just you.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#68  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@mikhail said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Oh please stfu.

2 other threads have been derailed by clyde and lostrib by attacking me and I didn't start it.

please cite these threads?

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#69  Edited By bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Didn't get a wide screen TV so I can have black bars on my TV. Thank god for Nintendo. FPS over 1080p any day of the week.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 mikhail

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@mikhail said:

So now SW contents only contain this thread?

Sorry mate....your thread isn't the only thread on SW.

Theres a much bigger world than just you.

lol. Just as I thought. "They did it so therefore it excuses my own shitty behavior."

Gotcha.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Mr_Huggles_dog

@mikhail: First off little man....just b/c my opinion is that there is a hidden agenda behind this, oh so important topic, doesn't mean you had to acknowledge it. You are just as part of this "derailment" as I am. And considering the way the hermits are here.....no one should be saying I'm being ridiculous for expressing said opinion.

@lostrib: No...I have better things to do.

I'm not like you and don't feel like digging through page(s) and threads and posts to find something that I know happened just to justify it to you.

If you don't think it happened...fine. But don't think you guys are above derailing threads in my name.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 lostrib

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@mikhail: First off little man....just b/c my opinion is that there is a hidden agenda behind this, oh so important topic, doesn't mean you had to acknowledge it. You are just as part of this "derailment" as I am. And considering the way the hermits are here.....no one should be saying I'm being ridiculous for expressing said opinion.

@lostrib: No...I have better things to do.

I'm not like you and don't feel like digging through page(s) and threads and posts to find something that I know happened just to justify it to you.

If you don't think it happened...fine. But don't think you guys are above derailing threads in my name.

so you're once again accusing me of something without any proof to back it up

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 mikhail

@lostrib: lol...

Huggles: "I have proof of this from other threads!"

You: "Which threads?"

Huggles: "I don't have time for this!"

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#74  Edited By bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@mikhail said:

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#75 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:

Didn't get a wide screen TV so I can have black bars on my TV. Thank god for Nintendo. FPS over 1080p any day of the week.

I was going to say this but expected movie buffs to point out movies of a certain aspect ratio will show black bars on home cinema because that's how they are meant to be. I hate that as well. Black bars in videogames AND movies can f*** off is my considered opinion.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Mr_Huggles_dog

@mikhail said:

I shouldn't have to link them.

People shouldn't be afraid or hide what they do. Own it.

Seriously...as I said...I'm not like lostrib....I have better things to do than to take forever to search posts, threads, and pages to justify it to someone who I don't care what they say since they aren't really here to talk about gaming and only to try to make themselves feel better by proving other wrong, no matter how trivial.

Robertspace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Robertspace
Member since 2014 • 27 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@mikhail said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Oh please stfu.

Many hermits here can't just have a debate they have to constantly insult, flag and derail.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 lostrib

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@mikhail said:

I shouldn't have to link them.

People shouldn't be afraid or hide what they do. Own it.

Seriously...as I said...I'm not like lostrib....I have better things to do than to take forever to search posts, threads, and pages to justify it to someone who I don't care what they say since they aren't really here to talk about gaming and only to try to make themselves feel better by proving other wrong, no matter how trivial.

I'm not hiding, i would like to know what threads you are referring to

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By lostrib

@robertspace said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@mikhail said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Oh please stfu.

Many hermits here can't just have a debate they have to constantly insult, flag and derail.

flagged

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog

@lostrib: I'm sorry....I just don't care whether or not you accept it.

Mostly b/c there will be other times it happens....you act as if the threads I'm talking about is like a blemish on your perfect attitude here and you just can't fathom messing up your passive aggressive stance on everything.

When that time comes....I'll bring it up (if I remember) b/c you're not perfect....and it will happen.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 lostrib

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Mostly b/c there will be other times it happens....you act as if the threads I'm talking about is like a blemish on your perfect attitude here and you just can't fathom messing up your passive aggressive stance on everything.

When that time comes....I'll bring it up (if I remember) b/c you're not perfect....and it will happen.

I never claimed to be perfect. But you said specifically that there were two threads, so I was wondering wth you're talking about. I don't even know why I was brought up

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#83  Edited By BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Lets just for arguments sake say there wasn't any threads regarding me.

Now...how about how you hermits CONSTANTLY attack new posters who aren't for PC and call them Cranler alts.....with no proof.

So lets not act like you, mikhail and the crew are all innocent. Don't talk about no proof shit....you guys are just as much children with that dumb shit as the next.

The huggles cycle:

1. Talk trash about PC on any thread.

2. Get responded by a "hermit."

3. Backlash at the "hermit" for arguing his statement, and uses "proof" of him being attacked by "hermits."

4. Gets blasted by other "hermits" for his response, and asks for proof of his ridiculous statement.

5. Doesn't have any proof, must play victim.

6. Repeat in new thread.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 lostrib

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@lostrib said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

I never claimed to be perfect. But you said specifically that there were two threads, so I was wondering wth you're talking about. I don't even know why I was brought up

Lets just for arguments sake say there wasn't any threads regarding me.

Now...how about how you hermits CONSTANTLY attack new posters who aren't for PC and call them Cranler alts.....with no proof.

So lets not act like you, mikhail and the crew are all innocent. Don't talk about no proof shit....you guys are just as much children with that dumb shit as the next.

I never claimed any of that, nor do I have anything to do with that "crew" of people accusing you of being cranler alts.

I'm just asking for proof of these 2 threads. Not that hard.

Or you can just go to hell.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 BldgIrsh

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@bldgirsh: So hows that "why do you call any negative PC new poster Cranler" defense coming?

Actually, I've never accused you of cranler. I know I have clearly said in response to someone that you aren't cranler because you are worst to have discussions with than cranler. But, please keep crying wolf for attention.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By lostrib

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@lostrib: I'll pick the option to go to hell. It's easier and quicker.

@bldgirsh: So hows that "why do you call any new poster that is negative to PC, Cranler" defense coming?

then go to hell and stop accusing me of shit without showing proof

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Mr_Huggles_dog

@bldgirsh: Please go on. I'm sure "everyone" and "you" are the same in everyone's book.

pointstreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By pointstreak
Member since 2014 • 76 Posts

@lostrib said:

@robertspace said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@mikhail said:

Oh please stfu.

flagged

You illustrated roberts point perfectly

pointstreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By pointstreak
Member since 2014 • 76 Posts

@bldgirsh said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@bldgirsh: So hows that "why do you call any negative PC new poster Cranler" defense coming?

Actually, I've never accused you of cranler. I know I have clearly said in response to someone that you aren't cranler because you are worst to have discussions with than cranler. But, please keep crying wolf for attention.

Sounds like huggles and carnler caused you some butthurt

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#91  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

It's stupid, and unnecessary. The Evil Within is a better game at 60 faps, and would have been better with a less obnoxious letterbox.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 lostrib

@pointstreak: you realize it's a joke right?

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#93  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

It's a lie to try and hide the fact that the PS4/XB1 are weak.

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Roler42
Member since 2013 • 1067 Posts

Back on topic and ignoring Cranler/Huggles(seriously guys, stop feeding him, he loves derailing threads with his garbage)

Mikami made a huge mistake with Evil Within, this whole "artistic vision" has done more harm than good, his work of art has caused motion sickness to plenty of people, videogames are art indeed, but they are also interactive art, stop forcing people to see things in only a certain framerate or a certain FoV, you are a game's producer not a movie director...

Honestly, all these devs would save a lot of their dignity if they simply said: we compromised the framerate to favor the visuals

Simple as that, instead they insist on pushing this stupid buzzword hoping that people will eat it up and then, they will have the perfect excuse to be lazy with the gameplay

This is why indies will always be the innovators in this industry

KratosYOLOSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 KratosYOLOSwag
Member since 2013 • 1827 Posts

People are looking too far into this cinematic crap. The devs sacrifice framerate among other things, but thanks to that they can improve graphics and other effects. So the cinematic feel is improved but they aren't able to hit 60fps. Things like letterboxing don't give it a more cinematic feel, but it allows them to improve in areas they wouldn't be able to by cutting back in other areas.

Not all cinematic games are doing this, Uncharted 4 is targeting 60fps.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 BldgIrsh

@kratosyoloswag said:

People are looking too far into this cinematic crap. The devs sacrifice framerate among other things, but thanks to that they can improve graphics and other effects. So the cinematic feel is improved but they aren't able to hit 60fps. Things like letterboxing don't give it a more cinematic feel, but it allows them to improve in areas they wouldn't be able to by cutting back in other areas.

Not all cinematic games are doing this, Uncharted 4 is targeting 60fps.

This is the kind of trolling System Wars needs.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

No they are talking out of their rectum, they are doing it to lower the computational requirement to generate a number of frame per second.

Zethrickk382

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Zethrickk382
Member since 2013 • 480 Posts

@general_solo76: Agreed, I actually like the look of The Order.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#99 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

the fact that TC is even asking this question I find it to be very insulting.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By mikhail

@Zethrickk382 said:

@general_solo76: Agreed, I actually like the look of The Order.

Why would you want to see less of the game on-screen? This has already proven to be a recent problem in regards to environment visibility with The Evil Within, especially when anything is above or below your character.