Do you buy into the "cinematic" frame rate and letterboxing fad?

• 147 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you buy into the "cinematic" frame rate and letterboxing fad? (94 votes)

Yes, lower frame rates and/or letterboxed resolutions make games more cinematic and film-like. 11%
No, this is nothing more than PR speak from console developers as an excuse for performance problems. 89%

What do you think, SW? Do you think letterboxing and 30 fps caps make a game "more cinematic" as some developers would like you to believe?

• 
General_Solo76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By General_Solo76
Member since 2013 • 578 Posts

I don't see what the problem is, as long as it fits with the look that the developer wants to achieve. No point in bitching about it in my opinion.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52420 Posts

I'm not a fan of it.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

30 fps locks are borderline unacceptable.

black bars, i don't really care (about seeing the bars myself. what i care about, is that people acknowledge they're crudely 'free black')

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

I'm honestly baffled "cinematic frame rate" has become a thing. Good lord

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

No, it's fucking shit.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

I actually can't see higher FPS, or resolutions. I guess it's part of being human.

Anything to let me see a video game is welcome. Thank you, Sony...........err wait. They don't have any video games to see.

Thank you, Microsoft.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Well somebody out there is.... This sh!t just keeps selling.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Sony and MS will be pushing developers and publisher to put a positive spin on the consoles being too weak for 1080p, 60fps and all the modern graphical bells and whistles they expected to add to games.

What are they going to be saying in a few years (they only have 3 to 4 max) when 4k and 60+ frames per second games are standard on PC and 4k TV's are becoming normal in homes?

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

What GeneralSolo said.

As long as The Order is fun, I don't have a problem with letter boxing. It seems to me that you're actually trying to throw a jab at the Sony camp while many in system wars celebrate the 8.0 review of Sunset Overdrive. Grow up.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

No, I play games to play it, not watch.

If I want to watch something cinematic, I will watch cinema. That's why I study cinema. Don't bring cinematic bullshit to me.

I wouldn't mind devs going out and saying "yeah, the limitations made it so that we had to make compromises, but at least in this way it gives the illusion of being more movie-like rather then just being bad," cuz they are at least admitting they have to make compromises. Flat out saying that this is better for us gamers, that's disgusting. Who the f*ck are they to know what I like? I want to falcon punch any PR rep who f*cking has the balls to say that kind of arrogant bullshit to me because that is just outright lie and disrespect toward their customers.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52420 Posts

So, 30FPS is best, unless it's a first person shooter.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:

30fps doesn't and never has bothered me. Black bars however, is annoying.

What is there to buy? These consoles can only deliver so much. If you want a true nextgen looking game, it has to be 30fps on these consoles. Same with every console generation really.

That isn't the question - the question is do you think letterboxing and 30 fps caps make games "more cinematic" or not, not whether you "mind" them.

comptonst88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By comptonst88
Member since 2012 • 348 Posts

Dont really care all that much but if I had to criticize one it would be the FPS. If your game can run at 60fps then let it run at 60fps. Other than that, I dont care if they do the whole letterbox/widescreen thing.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DEadliNE-Zero0

@freedomfreak said:

“haven’t made an official announcement yet but they will probably go for 30fps since that’s what they found to be the best fps (frames-per-second) to play action games.”

"from the beginning, they weren’t targeting 60fps because it’s not first-person shooter, it’s an action game"

Da **** am i reading?

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts
@deadline-zero0 said:

@freedomfreak said:

“haven’t made an official announcement yet but they will probably go for 30fps since that’s what they found to be the best fps (frames-per-second) to play action games.”

"from the beginning, they weren’t targeting 60fps because it’s not first-person shooter, it’s an action game"

Da **** am i reading?

spin

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

Yes. It is a wonderful trend. 30 minutes into tew i forgot about them

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

No but on a Skyrim "Cinematic Dark Fantasy" ENB thingy I had these black bars on. Looked cool in the screenshots but hated playing with it on.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#22 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

20 FPS is the best FPS, no compromise.

Letterboxing is a great way to reduce the number of pixels on screen. But I feel like it's just developers trying to do something different even though 16:9 is standard.

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

If the bars were white no one would complain, the struggle is still real. And this is about the evil within isn't it, I'm not too happy with that game. Idk what it is but those kind of games don't interest me anymore

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9839 Posts

Would be kiind of funny if someone from the year 2114 got to read one of those "30fps is more cinematic"-PR-statements. I have a feeling they would laugh pretty hard :).

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DEadliNE-Zero0

@scottpsfan14 said:
@CrownKingArthur said:
@deadline-zero0 said:

Da **** am i reading?

spin

While it is spin, I think gamers need to stop pretending they have standards that are delicate and need to be obeyed.

30fps is fine. There are worse things in the world that could happen.

Nobody said 30fps is bad. Everybody expected 30fps for this game, and that's fine. But his quotes are fucking stupid.

30fps is better for action games? Not 60fps because it's not a shooter? da **** is that? Oh right, spinning

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Games have been dipping below 30FPS since forever. It's not a fad.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60681 Posts

I buy into exclusives and games in general. Each gen of consoles has proven to be better than the previous and PC will always be ahead.

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

Blackbars dont bother me, but neither does 30 FPS, but i'll take 60 FPS over 30 FPS any time.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

This didn't really need a poll nobody ever says 30fps is better than 60 except some clown at Ubisoft and only Evil Within has demonstrated the 'letterboxing fad' that I've seen. I'd rather full screen there is no excuse for games to be letterbox any designer who uses it for 'creative reasons' is basically someone whose game I don't want to go anywhere near. If 30fps is a problem for you, buy a good PC.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

The only ppl who are concerned with this are PC gamers b/c they go "LOL TRUE 1080P ON PC - CONSOLE SUCK!!!!!"

Most other ppl are open minded and realize it's being done every 100 game that comes out.

Not a real concern.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Sushiglutton

Haha got to love SW. The OP is like one sentence and yet it seems like a minority has actually read/understood it lol.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

also not a fan of film grain

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DEadliNE-Zero0

@mr_huggles_dog said:

The only ppl who are concerned with this are PC gamers b/c they go "LOL TRUE 1080P ON PC - CONSOLE SUCK!!!!!"

Most other ppl are open minded and realize it's being done every 100 game that comes out.

Not a real concern.

Guess that's why everyone's excited about Halo MCC at 60fps? oh Cranl.....oh right. You're not Cranler. Sorry

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mikhail

@Sushiglutton said:

Haha got to love SW. The OP is like one sentence and yet it seems like a minority has actually read/understood it lol.

I tried to keep it as simple and clear as possible...oh well.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mikhail

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Not a real concern.

Huggles, can you go back and actually read the original post again please? The question is do you believe letterboxing and 30 fps caps make games more cinematic or not, I don't even know what you are talking about right now or what it has to do with this topic.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Sushiglutton

@mikhail said:

@Sushiglutton said:

I tried to keep it as simple and clear as possible...oh well.

One word + one simple picture might work ;)

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Hmmmm, perhaps it does make the game more film like...but that's not really something i want

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 blueinheaven

@mr_huggles_dog:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Not a real concern.

Not really, I've been playing games on PC at 1080p 60fps for many years now yet I still bought PS3, 360 and now have a PS4 and Xbox One. I don't have a problem with 30fps in single player games. Even slight resolution drops on X1 doesn't really bother me. The only PC gamers who spout this nonsense are the ones who only play games on PC and are more worried about bragging on the net about their rig than they are about playing games and are best ignored but the majority of PC gamers also play on consoles. We're not all prize dicks.

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

How many games are even using the letterbox look?

timster20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 timster20
Member since 2014 • 399 Posts

How many games have letterbox lately that qualifies it as a fad?

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

@general_solo76 said:

I don't see what the problem is, as long as it fits with the look that the developer wants to achieve. No point in bitching about it in my opinion.

30fps isn't a design choice; it's a failure of the hardware as well as the software. And that letterboxing in the Evil Within in atrocious--you can't even get rid of it even if you have a 21:9 monitor! WTF is that!? I tried watching a stream of the game and it made me want to barf: 30fps with frequent drops, annoying film grain, horrible post-processing AA solutions that cause crawling everywhere, annoying aspect ratio, weird gamma, and then the motion blur. Ugh, that game is just a nightmare of excessive post-processing effects.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

@blueinheaven said:

@mr_huggles_dog:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Not a real concern.

Not really, I've been playing games on PC at 1080p 60fps for many years now yet I still bought PS3, 360 and now have a PS4 and Xbox One. I don't have a problem with 30fps in single player games. Even slight resolution drops on X1 doesn't really bother me. The only PC gamers who spout this nonsense are the ones who only play games on PC and are more worried about bragging on the net about their rig than they are about playing games and are best ignored but the majority of PC gamers also play on consoles. We're not all prize dicks.

You're in the minority mentality when it comes to PC gamers here.

Generally speaking they're like what I'm talking about. Of course theres the exception tot he rule.

Just don't change during your stay here....being a PC gamer you'll make friends quick as they befriend anyone to grow their majority rule here. Before you know it....you'll be a bigot as no one can enjoy a game at 30fps or at 1080p....b/c it's all about 94857x9499 @10000fps on PC.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

nope, its just pr bullshit from sony and ubisoft

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Ubisoft pr bs

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Hell no.

"More cinematic" is something a sweating PR shill would say while wringing his hands together.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By blueinheaven

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@blueinheaven said:

@mr_huggles_dog:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Not a real concern.

You're in the minority mentality when it comes to PC gamers here.

Generally speaking they're like what I'm talking about. Of course theres the exception tot he rule.

Just don't change during your stay here....being a PC gamer you'll make friends quick as they befriend anyone to grow their majority rule here. Before you know it....you'll be a bigot as no one can enjoy a game at 30fps or at 1080p....b/c it's all about 94857x9499 @10000fps on PC.

I don't compete with anyone when it comes to games. I play the games I really want to play regardless of what platform they're on so I will never defend PS4 v X1 or PC v anything I respect everyone's right to play games on whatever platform suits them. The whole 'sony ponies' and 'xbots' crap and some clowns saying I play this in 4k res on my PC (the latter are probably lying unless they have the ONE 4k TV that supports PC input) all this nonsense really makes me cringe. Games matter first, last and always. What you play them on is just a tool. Anyone who think otherwise is a bit of a tool themselves.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

nope

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Not a real concern.

According to this poll, 91% of people believe its mere PR. How would you respond to that?

timster20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By timster20
Member since 2014 • 399 Posts

@StrifeDelivery said:

How many games are even using the letterbox look?

Seriously! Just Evil Within and The Order afaik. I would say 5 games within a year would be needed to qualify as a fad. And how is 30 fps a fad when it's been the console standard for years?

Hermits should be happy that console games are staying at 30 fps and using letterboxing since it means better graphics which results in better looking multiplats.