Divinity Original Sin 9

#1 Posted by uninspiredcup (8882 posts) -

Review

It's worth noting as well, the pc still has Wasteland 2 and Pillars Of Eternity to be released this year.

#2 Posted by charizard1605 (58077 posts) -

From everything I hear, it's an incredibly well deserved score.

#3 Posted by KHAndAnime (13866 posts) -

Amazing. I wonder if consoles will even get an RPG this gen that remotely stacks up to this one in terms of content...

#4 Edited by MrYaotubo (2709 posts) -

Completely deserved,one of the very best RPG´s in years.

#5 Edited by uninspiredcup (8882 posts) -

Apparently Dragon Age: Inquisition will have much content, so Bioware boasts.

It would be presumptuous to write if off as a casual console Skyrim hack in slash On the other hand, it would be a factually correct statement.

#6 Posted by Masculus (2867 posts) -

It's great that a game flying well bellow the hype radar made this much success. With mods and shit, we might get great stuff years ahead.

#7 Edited by cfisher2833 (1709 posts) -

Damn, took him long enough to get this out! Pretty much what I expected though. GS hasn't been to generous with the 10/10s lately (with the exception of that stupid fucking Gone Home game), and the game has enough minor flaws to take away that 1 point.

Capture footage of the game looks really dark on their review vid for some reason.

#8 Posted by Cloud_imperium (3562 posts) -

Another AAA for PC .

@KHAndAnime said:

Amazing. I wonder if consoles will even get an RPG this gen that remotely stacks up to this one in terms of content...

There will be good games on both consoles but when it comes to RPGs , PC is always the best choice . Most so called RPGs on consoles are action games with some RPG elements , nothing more . The only thing that comes close is Demon Souls but it lacks deep storyline , which makes it incomplete package , unlike games like D:OS , Witcher and other computer RPGs .

#9 Posted by PapaTrop (1290 posts) -

Was this game made with a AAA budget?

If not then I don't like it. It's too "indie trash and/or f2p moba" for me. I only like consoles.

#10 Edited by ShepardCommandr (2732 posts) -

Damn another 9.The game must be really good.

#11 Posted by EducatingU_PCMR (733 posts) -

Another AAA, another common day in the PC realm.

#12 Posted by wis3boi (31455 posts) -

@Masculus said:

It's great that a game flying well bellow the hype radar made this much success. With mods and shit, we might get great stuff years ahead.

steam workshop is already starting to populate.

#13 Posted by Cloud_imperium (3562 posts) -
@cfisher2833 said:

Damn, took him long enough to get this out! Pretty much what I expected though. GS hasn't been to generous with the 10/10s lately (with the exception of that stupid fucking Gone Home game), and the game has enough minor flaws to take away that 1 point.

Capture footage of the game looks really dark on their review vid for some reason.

Gone Home was 9.5/10 .

#14 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16617 posts) -

Game seems to get nothing but praise from reviewers and gamers.

Belgium has like one worthwhile gaming studio, proud they can make something of this quality.

#15 Posted by SYSTEM-REBOOT (646 posts) -

Not my type of game but i think it deserve it.

#16 Posted by uninspiredcup (8882 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

Game seems to get nothing but praise from reviewers and gamers.

Belgium has like one worthwhile gaming studio, proud they can make something of this quality.

Aside from chocolate the country hasn't really contributed anything to the world until now.

#17 Posted by remiks00 (1910 posts) -

My money was well spent buying this great game.

#18 Posted by MrYaotubo (2709 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

Game seems to get nothing but praise from reviewers and gamers.

Belgium has like one worthwhile gaming studio, proud they can make something of this quality.

Aside from chocolate the country hasn't really contributed anything to the world until now.

Well,they kicked the US out of the world cup so that´s something at least. And they have some of the best motocross riders in the world.

#19 Posted by Ballroompirate (23012 posts) -

@remiks00 said:

My money was well spent buying this great game.

Aye I agree, sad thing though is I spent $31 on it during the steam summer sale, sucks cause now I feel guilty for buying it on sale since it's such a good game :(.

#20 Edited by ddlcpc (859 posts) -

Don't care.. whether it gets 9 or over 9000 not into turn bases games... the game's good though..

#21 Edited by Suppaman100 (3935 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

Game seems to get nothing but praise from reviewers and gamers.

Belgium has like one worthwhile gaming studio, proud they can make something of this quality.

Aside from chocolate the country hasn't really contributed anything to the world until now.

Lol? Ever heard about the anti-conception pill or the higgs-boson particle?

Previous year a Belgian got the nobel prize for physics.

And of course, the best festival of the world, tommorowland.

I think they achieved quite a lot for such a small country

#22 Edited by kozzy1234 (35266 posts) -

Best overall rpg in years imo, amazing rpg with some of the best combat ever in an rpg. I usually am not huge on turnbased combat but this is fantastic. Great dialogue, good characters, wonderful combat, nice art design, good coop, wonderful music, good humor and the list goes on.

Another good review by Kevin to, nice to have an rpg that doesn't treat you like a child finally! A shining example of how to properly do Kickstarter and Early Access (especially with some of the bad examples of late). Divine Divinity was in my top 10 rpgs of all time and I must say only thing Divine Divinity did better imo was the story, but everything else is better in Divinity Original Sin. Larian has created an rpg with an old school vibe but with many new aspects of there own.

#23 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16617 posts) -

@MrYaotubo said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Aside from chocolate the country hasn't really contributed anything to the world until now.

Well,they kicked the US out of the world cup so that´s something at least. And they have some of the best motocross riders in the world.

@Suppaman100 said:

Lol? Ever heard about the anti-conception pill or the higgs-boson particle?

Previous year a Belgian got the nobel prize for physics.

And of course, the best festival of the world, tommorowland.

I think they achieved quite a lot for such a small country

Or the saxophone or Tintin :p

We also have quite a few well known cyclocross and cycle sport riders.

And best of all: more kinds of beer per capita than any other country in the world :D

It's just that compared to neighboring countries (the netherlands, france, germany, UK) we have very few game developers. So it's great that Larian managed to achieve so much praise.

#24 Posted by anderswhk (67 posts) -

Looks cool. Will have to get my hands on it once it drops in price. Can't justify buying it right now, even tho i want to!

#25 Posted by freedomfreak (40870 posts) -

Indeed. Belgium saved PC gaming.

#26 Edited by DEadliNE-Zero0 (2796 posts) -

@cfisher2833 said:

Damn, took him long enough to get this out!

The game is huge, and i think Kevin was having too much fun to stop to review it. :P

#27 Posted by nethernova (4106 posts) -

@KHAndAnime said:

Amazing. I wonder if consoles will even get an RPG this gen that remotely stacks up to this one in terms of content...

Seriously? A game gets a great score and that's what you're wondering about? How truly sad and pathetic.

Anyway, game looks awesome. My urge to play it will be bigger than my disgust at sitting at my desk while doing it.

#28 Posted by Maroxad (8320 posts) -

Well played, Larian, well played. They have been supporting it pretty well too, fixing bugs and other minor issues. I hope Larian keeps this up and releases an expansion pack or sequel using the same engine and formula, because this game is nothing but brilliant.

@R4gn4r0k said:

It's just that compared to neighboring countries (the netherlands, france, germany, UK) we have very few game developers. So it's great that Larian managed to achieve so much praise.

In sweden, the success of some swedish game developers, encouraged the government to invest into the game industry since it turned out to be profitable grounds, which in turn resulted in more game designers. I wonder if this game may push a similar thing for belguim.

#29 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16617 posts) -

@Maroxad said:

Well played, Larian, well played. They have been supporting it pretty well too, fixing bugs and other minor issues. I hope Larian keeps this up and releases an expansion pack or sequel using the same engine and formula, because this game is nothing but brilliant.

@R4gn4r0k said:

It's just that compared to neighboring countries (the netherlands, france, germany, UK) we have very few game developers. So it's great that Larian managed to achieve so much praise.

In sweden, the success of some swedish game developers, encouraged the government to invest into the game industry since it turned out to be profitable grounds, which in turn resulted in more game designers. I wonder if this game may push a similar thing for belguim.

I think gaming is probably the last thing on Belgian politicians mind. I don't even know if there is a grant or anything for game developers.

Sweden has some really nice developers :)

#30 Edited by texasgoldrush (9247 posts) -

Nice score, but still, best RPG of 2014 is between Dark Souls II and DA: Inquisition.

#31 Posted by parkurtommo (27208 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

Game seems to get nothing but praise from reviewers and gamers.

Belgium has like one worthwhile gaming studio, proud they can make something of this quality.

Aside from chocolate the country hasn't really contributed anything to the world until now.

That's just plain stupid.

#32 Posted by dommeus (9368 posts) -

I want it, but have no dolla

#33 Posted by ChronosChris (296 posts) -

I'm trying to like this game but it's just way too old school for my liking. There is zero hand holding and way too much reading involved to actually know what the hell you're doing. I like the combat, puzzles, graphics, soundtrack and all that. But I at least need some kind of waypoint system to tell me where the hell I'm going or I will just run out of patience.

#34 Posted by uninspiredcup (8882 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

Indeed. Belgium saved PC gaming.

What an amazing country. Wherever it is.

#35 Edited by jhonMalcovich (4796 posts) -

@chronoschris said:

I'm trying to like this game but it's just way too old school for my liking. There is zero hand holding and way too much reading involved to actually know what the hell you're doing. I like the combat, puzzles, graphics, soundtrack and all that. But I at least need some kind of waypoint system to tell me where the hell I'm going or I will just run out of patience.

You check the map; the dark fog spots are where you need to go next. You are welcome.

#36 Posted by ChronosChris (296 posts) -

@jhonMalcovich said:

@chronoschris said:

I'm trying to like this game but it's just way too old school for my liking. There is zero hand holding and way too much reading involved to actually know what the hell you're doing. I like the combat, puzzles, graphics, soundtrack and all that. But I at least need some kind of waypoint system to tell me where the hell I'm going or I will just run out of patience.

You check the map; the dark fog spots are where you need to go next. You are welcome.

I'm pretty sure I'd be playing the game the wrong way if I just wondered endlessly without speaking to the endless amounts of NPCs and reading the huge amounts of journal entries.

#37 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (8113 posts) -

@system-reboot said:

Not my type of game but i think it deserve it.

#38 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16617 posts) -

@parkurtommo: Did you expect anything else :P

#39 Posted by Maroxad (8320 posts) -

@texasgoldrush said:

Nice score, but still, best RPG of 2014 is between Dark Souls II and DA: Inquisition.

Honestly, with the way things are looking. I wouldnt be surprised if DA:I got a 6.

#40 Posted by GreySeal9 (24400 posts) -

@texasgoldrush said:

Nice score, but still, best RPG of 2014 is between Dark Souls II and DA: Inquisition.

So what other upcoming games have you played with that time machine of yours?

#41 Edited by foxhound_fox (88650 posts) -

And so begins the era of crowd-funded games outscoring AAA high-budget blockbusters.

#42 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (14399 posts) -

Now if only the story was good.

#43 Edited by kozzy1234 (35266 posts) -

@texasgoldrush said:

Nice score, but still, best RPG of 2014 is between Dark Souls II and DA: Inquisition.

Nope, Divinity is better in every single aspect imo when compared to Dark Souls II. As for new Dragon Age, Bioware has been crap lately with SWTOR and Dragon Age 2 not expecting much. More looking forward to Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity more to be honest.

Especially the combat, from the videos we have seen it looks pretty meh.

#44 Edited by uninspiredcup (8882 posts) -

Dragon Age: Inquisition coke can in a production line.

Cynical. Insulting. Other negative words.

#45 Posted by pyro1245 (845 posts) -

Yeah this game totally deserves it. I haven't been able to put it down since I started; I've been dumping most of my free time into it. The one missing point makes sense, there are a few bugs, and the map is only meant to be viewed from a small angle so you get some weird side-effects if you enable 360 degree rotation.

The one mod I'm really waiting for is one that adds 3d trees. This is my one complaint and it barely registers. It is kinda silly though, you rotate the camera 90 degrees and all the leaves disappear because they're parallel planes.

What mods would you like to see?

#46 Posted by Jacanuk (4709 posts) -

@papatrop said:

Was this game made with a AAA budget?

If not then I don't like it. It's too "indie trash and/or f2p moba" for me. I only like consoles.

No the game is a kickstarter game so its a Indie game not AAA

#47 Posted by wis3boi (31455 posts) -

@texasgoldrush said:

Nice score, but still, best RPG of 2014 is between Dark Souls II and DA: Inquisition.

we all know the game was too complicated for you

#48 Posted by MrYaotubo (2709 posts) -

@texasgoldrush said:

Nice score, but still, best RPG of 2014 is between Dark Souls II and DA: Inquisition.

You mean between Divinity,Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity,at least for the people that actually like RPG´s.

#49 Posted by 7MDMA (314 posts) -

@MrYaotubo said:

@texasgoldrush said:

Nice score, but still, best RPG of 2014 is between Dark Souls II and DA: Inquisition.

You mean between Divinity,Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity,at least for the people that actually like RPG´s.

Dark Souls 2 is definetely more 3rd person hack and slash than RPG; it's not in the same league as DOS as an RPG and obviously the jury is still out on DA.

#50 Edited by Zelda187 (936 posts) -

Honestly, probably the best RPG I've played since the Chrono Trigger/Final Fantasy III days of the SNES.

Forget RPG of the year...this should definitely win Game of the Year for PC.