DirectX 12 works on both X1 and PC, Forza 5 showcased on PC

• 85 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Microsoft finally turning the Xbox into what it should have always been from the beginning (an entry-level PC)

SteXmaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#52 SteXmaN
Member since 2012 • 550 Posts

@jhonMalcovich said:

Now what I am thinking is if DirectX12 is being ported to xbox one which have a last gen DirectX11 GPU, then it surely can be ported to latest DirectX11 GPUs on PC as well. Probably DirectX12 is some sort of an optimized version of the 11.

Yeah,it is strange really.We need more info :/

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

@treedoor said:

Microsoft finally turning the Xbox into what it should have always been from the beginning (an entry-level PC)

Amen brother XD Also it's good as a blu-ray player.

Acez626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Acez626
Member since 2006 • 690 Posts

@jhonMalcovich said:

@HadOne2Many said:

@jhonMalcovich: Acez626's reply was just as childish as your original post, but I think what he was getting at is that people like you are making this site worse. Do you truly believe the things you are posting about the XB1, or are you just trolling like 85% of the other posters here?

Ok. And rooting for Xbox One like if it were a cancer cure is not childish ?

What??

Lol how am I "rooting" for Xbox one? I am simply supporting it...the same way I support sony, or any company that brings entertainment to my life

Which is different to what your doing, since your not supporting ps4, but bashing xbox one

Huge difference, wtf are you trying to imply?

@glez13 Im a hermit?? what? LOL currently the only pc I have is a $100 pc I use for downloading music/movies

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 jhonMalcovich

@Acez626 said:

@jhonMalcovich said:

@HadOne2Many said:

@jhonMalcovich: Acez626's reply was just as childish as your original post, but I think what he was getting at is that people like you are making this site worse. Do you truly believe the things you are posting about the XB1, or are you just trolling like 85% of the other posters here?

What??

Lol how am I "rooting" for Xbox one? I am simply supporting it...the same way I support sony, or any company that brings entertainment to my life

Which is different to what your doing, since your not supporting ps4, but bashing xbox one

That I don't care about both PS4 and xbox one ? Maybe this.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

we don't need forza 5 on pc. there's loads of good driving games on PC. and I'm with @uninspiredcup, the high price and microtransactions is just silly.

if you want to play a car game where you're buying and selling bits and bobs, get a 360 or ps3, and get the older forza or gt games - in my humble opinion.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By jhonMalcovich

@CrownKingArthur said:

we don't need forza 5 on pc. there's loads of good driving games on PC. and I'm with @uninspiredcup, the high price and microtransactions is just silly.

if you want to play a car game where you're buying and selling bits and bobs, get a 360 or ps3, and get the older forza or gt games - in my humble opinion.

Yep. Project CARS FTW.

Acez626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Acez626
Member since 2006 • 690 Posts

@jhonMalcovich said:

@Acez626 said:

@jhonMalcovich said:

@HadOne2Many said:

What??

That I don't care about both PS4 and xbox one ? Maybe this.

Lol ok bro

whatever you say my man

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

I doubt it will, but would be hilarious if Forza 5 came to PC... with DX12.

There is no way. All MS does for PC nowadays is port over windows phone games.

This is just a showcase, they will never bring a great Xbox exclusive like Forza over to PC. Never.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

New api works better than an old one more news at 10 stay tuned.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@tormentos said:

New api works better than an old one more news at 10 stay tuned.

If this was Sony with some sort of unique offering with OpenGL you would be foaming at the gash.

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#63 Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

I would love to see Forza 5 on PC.

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

I would love to see Forza 5 on PC.

@shawn30 said:

@PinkieWinkie said:

Before the lemmings invade this thread,, DX 12 will not make up for the XBones inferior hardware.

I will bring great improvements and that's all that matters. Jeez, way to be a fanboy, lol. You can sleep easy your precious PS4 is still more powerful. Mean while I'm greatly looking for to the DX12 Xbox One games and what they will bring to the table. That was a short, to the point conference. Sadly we're gonna be waiting a while before we see them. Still, great MS is thinking ahead lomg-term. :)

Its really hard to say whether it will bring any major improvement. The main benefit is that it will be a lot more easier to port from PC to Xboxone.

Xboxone already has a low-level API

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

@Acez626: I was talking about jhonMalcovich.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

@CrownKingArthur said:

Yeah, but I'd be more excited for Forza 5 for PC as a concrete sign of Microsoft actually supporting PC as a gaming platform this time.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 glez13

@stereointegrity said:

games wont show up with this till holiday 2015

Even more disappointed with this unveil when I noticed this.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

@IgGy621985: i think i know would you mean. forza 5 on pc would be 'good will' towards future pc support.

if i'm honest, i'd even be pretty happy with Forza 2/3/4 on PC instead of five. it would still be the first forza game we've had on pc.

but what do you reckon mate? will ms put effort into pc gaming?

i'm dubious, because i suspect ms would consider Window gaming and Xbox gaming to compete, and I'm unsure how they'd approach that strategically. historically, i suspect they've focussed on xbox while neglecting pc gaming, and as long as the xbox brand exists i suspect they'll continue along those lines.

hope i don't sound too pessimistic.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 glez13

@jhonMalcovich said:

Does it mean that we will have to buy new Dx12 GPUs (in order to play, let's say, Forza), as I understand current GPUs don't support it ? If the former is true, then no thanks. I bought GTX780 just 8 month ago.

Apparently not, but who knows:

http://games.on.net/2014/03/directx12-announced-at-gdc-but-no-release-until-end-of-2015/

But, Gosalia hinted at broad availability – Microsoft expects 80% of all gamer PCs selling today to be DX12 capable. When the software eventually ships in late 2015, the company expects 50% of all PC gamers will be supported.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 jhonMalcovich

@glez13 said:

@Acez626: I was talking about jhonMalcovich.

Friendly fire. Lol.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By IgGy621985

@CrownKingArthur: No, you actually sound very realistic haha. Xbox will always be a flagship gaming platform to Microsoft. I think they announced DX12 to have something to compete against Sony since One's performance isn't really encouraging given that the console can't offer 1080p games. Windows will always be only their backup option, considering Valve basically started to monopolize PC gaming market.

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#72 True_Gamer_
Member since 2006 • 6750 Posts

@IgGy621985 said:

@CrownKingArthur: No, you actually sound very realistic haha. Xbox will always be a flagship gaming platform to Microsoft. I think they announced DX12 to have something to compete against Sony since One's performance isn't really encouraging given that the console can't offer 1080p games. Windows will always be only their backup option, considering Valve basically started to monopolize PC gaming market.

Valve monopolizes the PC gaming market the same way MS did on the PC OS market....However what was Intel to MS is MS to Valve....Its a parasitic symbiotic system. Valve is only now trying to cut off from MS and if this happens expect Forza/Gears/Halo ALL ported to Windows X and exclusive to pull people back from linux steamboxes.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 R4gn4r0k

@IgGy621985 said:

MS really bet on the wrong horse.

Their Xbox devision hasn't been profitable in total over all these years, while the PC devision, the one they killed, was profitable. How can they ever go back when they have pretty much killed all their PC developers or had them focus on Xbox instead?

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#74 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

Forza 5 on PC sounds like a fallback plan in the event that the Xbox One turns out to be a money sink

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

SO it doesn't look abysmal like the X1 version?

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

I would looooooooove Forza on PC.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#77 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

DX12 WONT MAKE XBOXONE ANY MORE BETTER THEN IT ALREADY IS ie it wont add any more ram then it already has nore will it matter at the end of the day if there are no good games to play lol

kipsta77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 kipsta77
Member since 2012 • 1119 Posts

@jhonMalcovich said:

Does it mean that we will have to buy new Dx12 GPUs (in order to play, let's say, Forza), as I understand current GPUs don't support it ? If the former is true, then no thanks. I bought GTX780 just 8 month ago.

No. It's been confirmed people with a GTX 400 series or over will be able to use it day 1. The only thing I'm concerned about is if MS will force us to use their "Windows 9" to be able to use it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#79  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

It's interesting Microsoft show off Xbox games. Most likely because they don't have any pc games to show off.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

@kipsta77 said:

@jhonMalcovich said:

No. It's been confirmed people with a GTX 400 series or over will be able to use it day 1. The only thing I'm concerned about is if MS will force us to use their "Windows 9" to be able to use it.

Yeah that is almost a lock based on past DX releases. M$ forces gamers to buy windoze latest version using DX as a hook. I say thank GOD for Opengl and Mantle. I also hope andriod or the steam becomes the next standard. So I can be free of the windoze curse.

As for the xflop 1 I really doubt it will have any impact at all. By the time it comes out Mantle should be the standard.

MrXboxOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 MrXboxOne
Member since 2013 • 799 Posts

@PinkieWinkie: doesn't need to. X1 has the only game that is 100%locked at 1080p/60fps. The best next gen graphics with Ryse and the only console capable of having thousands of objects on screen at one with DR3.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

I'm still laughing that lems hyped this up. Wasdie was right.

Holiday 2015, write it in your diaries. In the meantime better hope you get games to keep the waiting less interminable.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@musicalmac:

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/posts/3082945

They also ported X1"s frame rate drops on Nvidia's Titan Black as well.

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By melonfarmerz
Member since 2014 • 1294 Posts

As a PC gamer, we're super spoiled and entitiled. If Microsoft attempts to add the microtransaction system they did for Forza on Xbox, the game will die miserably. I guarantee it. Especially since Forza's a pretty lackluster sim compared to other PC titles.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 ronvalencia

@IgGy621985:

http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-announces-support-directx-12-gdc_137806

AMD has announced "full compatibility" for DirectX 12 on their existing GCNs.

xsrr11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 xsrr11
Member since 2013 • 32 Posts

Here you have direct proof. Here you have a " low level api ", just reduce the load on the CPU. At this zoo can not low level. Game made ​​on raw devkits and drivers for the weak xbone, runs only Nvidia GTX Titan Black.
In addition to true low level, the consoles still have optimization of iron needed for a gaming device engineering solutions , shared memory (no extra copy from memory to memory ) , api for audio processing on a dedicated audio device , ultra-high speed transmission of rendering commands from the CPU to the GPU.
Anch , warrant game from Quantic , Division , driveclab etc. show a true next-gen , although infamos , killzone
and other current so look almost perfect.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 R4gn4r0k

@silversix_ said:

SO it doesn't look abysmal like the X1 version?

"Next gen" and still using carboard cutouts for people on the sideline.

I'm not saying they should put all their detail in those, but they look worse than Mortal Kombat 1 characters.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 IgGy621985

PC gamers shouldn't be too excited about DX12 because I'm pretty sure Xbox One will get DX12 titles first, and probably long before PC gets any DX12 games.

Microsoft desperately needs an upper hand against Sony at tech department, ergo, I see PC being shafted once again by MS.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By IgGy621985

Also, video of Forza 5 running on PC...

Loading Video...

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

I thought Forza was used to demonstrate the decreased time to get a game from THE ONE to PC and visa versa.

Anyway there is tons of good news for Xbox owners.

Improved graphics and performance are at the tip.

A DX12 update for Forza 5 on THE ONE?????? Just might be coming.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Eurogamer:

Forza demo "was simply a rendering tech demo

to showcase the power and ease of development

for DX12. We have no plans to release Forza

Motorsport 5, or any other Microsoft Studios

Xbox One title on PC." When asked about

specific enhancements for Xbox One, Microsoft

confirmed that DX12 was on the roadmap for the

console, but "beyond that, we have nothing more

to share."

kipsta77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By kipsta77
Member since 2012 • 1119 Posts

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@kipsta77 said:

@jhonMalcovich said:

Yeah that is almost a lock based on past DX releases. M$ forces gamers to buy windoze latest version using DX as a hook. I say thank GOD for Opengl and Mantle. I also hope andriod or the steam becomes the next standard. So I can be free of the windoze curse.

As for the xflop 1 I really doubt it will have any impact at all. By the time it comes out Mantle should be the standard.

Mantle will only become the standard in your dreams. Won't happen.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 IgGy621985

@Salt_The_Fries said:

or any other Microsoft Studios Xbox One title on PC

Ha...ha. Classic Microsoft.

HadOne2Many

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 HadOne2Many
Member since 2012 • 1485 Posts

Well that settles that. It was fun to think about Forza on a PC but I'm not surprised at all that it isn't coming. Hopefully the next Horizon game is one that uses DirectX 12 though.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Funny amid all the hype all the Xbone will likely get out of it is faster porting in 2016.

Forza 5 on PC would be sharp though. Another MS blunder.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By ronvalencia

@xsrr11 said:

Here you have direct proof. Here you have a " low level api ", just reduce the load on the CPU. At this zoo can not low level. Game made ​​on raw devkits and drivers for the weak xbone, runs only Nvidia GTX Titan Black.

In addition to true low level, the consoles still have optimization of iron needed for a gaming device engineering solutions , shared memory (no extra copy from memory to memory ) , api for audio processing on a dedicated audio device , ultra-high speed transmission of rendering commands from the CPU to the GPU.

Anch , warrant game from Quantic , Division , driveclab etc. show a true next-gen , although infamos , killzone and other current so look almost perfect.

AMD R9-290X also has a True Audio device i.e. dedicated audio device.

---------------------

X1 has memory copies between 32MB ESRAM and main memory i.e. it's not PS4's unified memory setup. X1 has extra hardware for memory copies.

NVIDIA Kelper's memory pages and cache line size are not aligned to X86-64 version hence DirectX 12 will have to provide some abstraction for this difference. This is what CUDA 6 does for NVIDIA Kelper hardware. On AMD GCN, the pointers are X86-64 based and are aligned to X86-64's memory pages and cache line size.

NVIDIA Kelper's virtual memory page is 64 KB, while X86's virtual memory page size is 4KB. http://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/gpudirect-rdma/index.html

AMD GCN's virtual memory page is 4 KB, which is the same size as x86-64 processors. http://www.slideshare.net/DevCentralAMD/gs4106-the-amd-gcn-architecture-a-crash-course-by-layla-mah Slide 50

Current DirectX 11.2 already manages it's memory related operations and DirectX 12 exposes these functions to the programmer.

---------------------

Example of ISA level optimisation from http://timothylottes.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/notes-on-amd-gcn-isa.html

"DX and GL are years behind in API design compared to what is possible on GCN. For instance there is no need for the CPU to do any binding for a traditional material system with unique shaders/textures/samplers/buffers associated with geometry. Going to the metal on GCN, it would be trivial to pass a 32-bit index from the vertex shader to the pixel shader, then use the 32-bit index and S_BUFFER_LOAD_DWORDX16 to get constants, samplers, textures, buffers, and shaders associated with the material. Do a S_SETPC to branch to the proper shader."

It's unlikely PC's DirectX 12 will match the above optimisation path i.e. it's specific for AMD GCN. S_SETPC instructions = scalar processor in the CU.

PS; the above example shows that the embedded ARM CPU is not required.

Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Xplode_games
Member since 2011 • 2540 Posts

I'd buy it for PC