DigitalFoundry: Watch Dogs for WiiU.

• 106 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts
@freedomfreak said:

@walloftruth said:

You did? I could've sworn I saw that on the other System Wars forum as well.

They probably took it then. I've used it plenty before. I don't mind. It's all part of a collection called "Gezichten", which means "faces" in Dutch.

Haven't done any in a while. Need a good gezicht first.

oh you did that? were you also the guy that did that wrestler who wriggled his eyebrows? kave deeh or something. i believe he was a funny Dutch comedian.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#103 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@GrenadeLauncher: Can't you hear yourself? What do you think Nintendo is doing now?

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#105 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:

@zeeshanhaider said:

@scottpsfan14 said:

I'll say again. The PS3 doesn't just have a CPU, it has a PPE (what we would call a single threaded CPU), and SPE's (7 "theoretical cores" at 3.2GHz). These SPE's aren't smoke and mirrors. They aren't blunt CPU power either, but they can handle many CPU orientated tasks such as physics, AI, etc, and even rendering tasks typically reserved for the GPU. There is however, one big difference. The SPE's have to be manually utilized and allocated, where as the PPE is used as a CPU that works like any CPU on any system (calculations, calls etc). By manually allocated, I mean if the PS3 was running a video converter where number chrunching was required, it's PPE would be doing the work. The SPE's would be idle because there is no code utilizing those SPE's. They are an optional tool. Some games didn't even use them at all in the beginning of the PS3's lifespan, but the PPE was always in use from day one because it's the core of the PS3 like any CPU is on a piece of hardware. The extra power of the cell is very real. It's not smoke and mirrors at all. If the deal was that the PS3 and Cell was just a mere 3.2GHz CPU, then Sony wouldn't have wasted billions on researching it and making it difficult to program for just for shits and giggs.

The PS3 without those SPE's is a massively inferior console to the 360. Having a single core CPU on it's own at 3.2GHz compared to a tri core 3.2GHz CPU on the 360 would have been embarrising. Also with it's 192GFLOP GPU vs the 240GFLOP GPU in the 360. It would have never stood a chance if it weren't for the "power of the cell". Not even joking.

The reason modern CPU's clown PS3/360 is because they are more powerful. That's simple fact. However, comparing a PC CPU to the Cell isn't cut and dry as the SPE's really aren't CPU cores at all. They don't feed the hardware like a CPU does. They aren't "the brain" of the PS3 like the CPU is on a PC. The PPE in the PS3 does that, and as I've mentioned, the PS3's PPE(CPU)<<360's CPU. So if you want to be picky, 360 wins in both CPU and GPU, only the PS3 had the smoke and mirrors to help it.

Bottom line is, the PS3 and 360 have a CPU that is more capable than the WiiU in one way or another. And PS3's SPE's do compute tasks better than the PS4's 6 Jaguar cores that are in use.

Just shut up. Stop spreading sony's crap. Neither IBM nor Sony were stupid to get rid of Cell if it was that powerful. The architecture was crap. Doesn't worth it. Just because it was crunching numbers doesn't mean it was feasible or cost effective. Anything SPE's do, GPU's can do 1000 times better and effeciently and for the rest of the general CPU tasks PPE doesn't even come close.

Let's face it, the architecture was crap when compared to the alternatives with CPU + GPUs. Cell can do a bit of both but is not effecient at either and require 100 times more development effort. Cell was a flop plain and simple and both IBM and sony saw that and moved on.

PS4 has a better CPU than PS3. PS3 can't do shit what PS4's CPU can do and all the crap SPE's can do with 100 times more effort PS$ can do it with its GPU 1000 times better. Yes even AI and Physics works better on PS4 CPU.

Right so you can actually shut the **** up and stop talking to me with your stupid shit for once. I never said the Cell was better than the Jaguar. It's SPE's can perform certain tasks (generally compute tasks) better than the 6 cores available to the PS4's Jaguar. I said the PPE in the PS3 is crap even compared to the 360 CPU. That's true.

The Cell arc was a massive mistake. I never said otherwise. But the Cell isn't just a 3.2GHz CPU. It's SPE's did indeed add more computing power.

PS4 does have a far better "CPU" than the PS3, but I never said otherwise. The fact remains for certain tasks, the Cell out did the Jaguar. Now please piss off.

WiiU has a bottlenecking CPU just like PS4 and Xbox One. It's more powerful GPU was wasted by a shit CPU that is significantly worse than even the 360's CPU. In fact, the PS3 Cell beats the PS4 and Xbox One's CPU's when in full use. Crazy stuff.

Sure you didn't. Cell was a train wreck. Sony betted on the wrong horse by going with IBM instead of Nvidia/ATI. It was crap in both the tasks done by traditional GPU and CPU, all last gen it was used more to support the RSX rather than acting as the powerful CPU. Plain and simple Cell was a disaster and was too costly both in terms of silicon and the maount of effort it required to achieve results compared to traditional CPU+GPU combo.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#108 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

@Dibdibdobdobo: You'll be waiting a long time. You yourself acknowledged you read some comments to that end. You are just disputing some strawman where I claimed it was the majority of people on here. I'm not trawling through months of comments just to satisify you. I'm fairly comfortable with you thinking I am wrong.

Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#109  Edited By Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts

@DocSanchez: So in other words no one hyped it, No one hyped with a post count of over a 10 or anyone credible.

Search through months of posts? GOOGLE "watch dogs wiiU system wars" and you get all the main topics of discussion in the last couple of months on the WiiU version. I think it is a case of "i Izwrongz"

Edit : What i did notice is that every SWs topic on WiiU watch dogs you are in them whinging on how its gonna suck LMAO.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#110  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts
@@scottpsfan14 said:

@zeeshanhaider said:

@scottpsfan14 said:

I'll say again. The PS3 doesn't just have a CPU, it has a PPE (what we would call a single threaded CPU), and SPE's (7 "theoretical cores" at 3.2GHz). These SPE's aren't smoke and mirrors. They aren't blunt CPU power either, but they can handle many CPU orientated tasks such as physics, AI, etc, and even rendering tasks typically reserved for the GPU. There is however, one big difference. The SPE's have to be manually utilized and allocated, where as the PPE is used as a CPU that works like any CPU on any system (calculations, calls etc). By manually allocated, I mean if the PS3 was running a video converter where number chrunching was required, it's PPE would be doing the work. The SPE's would be idle because there is no code utilizing those SPE's. They are an optional tool. Some games didn't even use them at all in the beginning of the PS3's lifespan, but the PPE was always in use from day one because it's the core of the PS3 like any CPU is on a piece of hardware. The extra power of the cell is very real. It's not smoke and mirrors at all. If the deal was that the PS3 and Cell was just a mere 3.2GHz CPU, then Sony wouldn't have wasted billions on researching it and making it difficult to program for just for shits and giggs.

The PS3 without those SPE's is a massively inferior console to the 360. Having a single core CPU on it's own at 3.2GHz compared to a tri core 3.2GHz CPU on the 360 would have been embarrising. Also with it's 192GFLOP GPU vs the 240GFLOP GPU in the 360. It would have never stood a chance if it weren't for the "power of the cell". Not even joking.

The reason modern CPU's clown PS3/360 is because they are more powerful. That's simple fact. However, comparing a PC CPU to the Cell isn't cut and dry as the SPE's really aren't CPU cores at all. They don't feed the hardware like a CPU does. They aren't "the brain" of the PS3 like the CPU is on a PC. The PPE in the PS3 does that, and as I've mentioned, the PS3's PPE(CPU)<<360's CPU. So if you want to be picky, 360 wins in both CPU and GPU, only the PS3 had the smoke and mirrors to help it.

Bottom line is, the PS3 and 360 have a CPU that is more capable than the WiiU in one way or another. And PS3's SPE's do compute tasks better than the PS4's 6 Jaguar cores that are in use.

Just shut up. Stop spreading sony's crap. Neither IBM nor Sony were stupid to get rid of Cell if it was that powerful. The architecture was crap. Doesn't worth it. Just because it was crunching numbers doesn't mean it was feasible or cost effective. Anything SPE's do, GPU's can do 1000 times better and effeciently and for the rest of the general CPU tasks PPE doesn't even come close.

Let's face it, the architecture was crap when compared to the alternatives with CPU + GPUs. Cell can do a bit of both but is not effecient at either and require 100 times more development effort. Cell was a flop plain and simple and both IBM and sony saw that and moved on.

PS4 has a better CPU than PS3. PS3 can't do shit what PS4's CPU can do and all the crap SPE's can do with 100 times more effort PS$ can do it with its GPU 1000 times better. Yes even AI and Physics works better on PS4 CPU.

Right so you can actually shut the **** up and stop talking to me with your stupid shit for once. I never said the Cell was better than the Jaguar. It's SPE's can perform certain tasks (generally compute tasks) better than the 6 cores available to the PS4's Jaguar. I said the PPE in the PS3 is crap even compared to the 360 CPU. That's true.

The Cell arc was a massive mistake. I never said otherwise. But the Cell isn't just a 3.2GHz CPU. It's SPE's did indeed add more computing power.

PS4 does have a far better "CPU" than the PS3, but I never said otherwise. The fact remains for certain tasks, the Cell out did the Jaguar. Now please piss off.

AMD GCN can handle IEEE-754-2008 floating point standard better than CELL's SPEs i.e. there's no need for IBM's SPU.

Each AMD GCN CU has scalar processor (with it's own register storage, cache, etc) to handle CPU like workloads.

An example from http://timothylottes.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/notes-on-amd-gcn-isa.html

"DX and GL are years behind in API design compared to what is possible on GCN. For instance there is no need for the CPU to do any binding for a traditional material system with unique shaders/textures/samplers/buffers associated with geometry. Going to the metal on GCN, it would be trivial to pass a 32-bit index from the vertex shader to the pixel shader, then use the 32-bit index and S_BUFFER_LOAD_DWORDX16 to get constants, samplers, textures, buffers, and shaders associated with the material. Do a S_SETPC to branch to the proper shader."

S_xxx instructions are for CU's scalar processor.

In addition to 8 Jaguar cores,

X1 has 12 scalar processors from 12 CU at 853 Mhz.

PS4 has 18 scalar processors from 18 CU.at 800 Mhz.

To realize AMD GCN's full compute feature potential, the programmer must hit ISA level access.

Most game engines has assumptions to work with non-AMD GCN solutions.

More AMD GCN ISA level features from http://www.psu.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-305502.html

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

Sooo in other words another PoS from Ubisoft, they've really been stinking it up for awhile. Then again Wii U has been getting half assed ports from third party for a awhile. and then dev's go 'furrhurr why is mah games not sellins on da weee oooo, i meens yeah it's a leetle buggy and missin shit but da tendo fans should be desprit enough ta buy"......oh wait

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@Blabadon said:

@GrenadeLauncher: Why? They know quite well their consoles offer quite a bit of big budget games the PS4 doesn't.

True, but in terms of the wider market it's pretty much irrelevant. They can't coast on the hardcore fans forever. They need their next console to really tap into the public psyche just like the Wii did.

Not really. They don't spend billions to make each game. They have a dedicated fan base. It's like Pearl Jam..they don't have to be mainstream anymore to exist. You have your fans, they pay, and you make enough to stay in business.

This idea that they have to be the others just isn't true. Now..would Nintendo like another Wii level of success...sure, but that console's success hurt them more than it helped.

It's just a shame to see Nintendo to continue to withdraw into itself and not try and expand that dedicated fanbase. I and many others grew up on Nintendo. They and their games deserve to do far better.

Yeah but when you try to please everyone is when you please no one. Better they serve their fans than lose them.