did you buy a console you swore you'd never buy?

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

carsales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 carsales
Member since 2006 • 1143 Posts
I'm just curious who's baught a console they swore they'd never buy? I'm holding out on the wii, but the wife wants one.
Avatar image for TekkenMaster606
TekkenMaster606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 TekkenMaster606
Member since 2006 • 10980 Posts
Uh, yeah. See sig. :)
NaiKoN9293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NaiKoN9293
Member since 2004 • 4102 Posts
I never thought I'd buy an xbox of any kind. But when BANJO3 is exclusive to the 360 I had to get one. Not to mention I also get Gears, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Alan Wake
Bdking57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Bdking57
Member since 2005 • 1320 Posts
I swore I would never buy a 360 and then I went to a game testing center and played a PS3 with resistance against a 360 running Gears... It was painfully obvious that I was wrong and needed to own a 360.
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#5 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

Sorta.

FFXIII is exclusive to the PS3. I said I was never going to buy that during the times that the FFXIII and MGS4 were up in the air. I guess I was ok in getting the PS3. Sony by firing Ken Kutaragi and other key buffoons made some bold moves in the right direction... however they are playing the damn waiting game again.

I really never swore I'd never get a PS3, but I kinda didn't have any intentions of getting it this soon, that's for sure.

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#6 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
Sega Genesis. I was a diehard Nintendofanboy back in the day (I was young)...I couldn't resist and I had to buy all the Sonic games.
cosmostein77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 102

#7 cosmostein77
Member since 2004 • 7043 Posts

Panasonic 3do the FZ-1 Model which back in the mid 90's was like 500 bucks.

Terrible game selection and awkward controls, but the best version of Street Fighter II. So I caved.

Cronaroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 Cronaroth
Member since 2004 • 3011 Posts
The original Xbox---then I broke down...then the 360 thinking it wasnt impressive until I saw Blue Dragon.....(I was gonna go PSwii only)...long story short now im PSWii60
deadmeat59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#9 deadmeat59
Member since 2003 • 8981 Posts
well my bro moved and left his 360 so i buy a game for it now and then. i am not getting it online cus its so expensive the wi fi is 129.99 canadian plus tax. then i have to buy live just to play online. then i need more games to play online cus i only have two. i hate how microsoft forces stuff on you they do it with everything . plus i have the core so i need more memory it never ends with the 360.
Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts
I haven't bought it yet... PSP.
zpxkjp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 zpxkjp
Member since 2007 • 163 Posts
Does the PSP count?
sazreal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 sazreal
Member since 2003 • 108 Posts
I was against all consoles, I was a pretty hardcore PC Gamer... now I have a 360 and a DS. Was thinking about a Wii, but that desire is waning. Never have been interested in the PS3 yet.
shaggygrosser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 shaggygrosser
Member since 2003 • 5871 Posts
The PS2, it wasn't until God of War came out that I gave in.
WllDan7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 WllDan7
Member since 2004 • 2581 Posts
The Xbox, ps2, ps1, and in the future the 360 and ps3.
Zulgaines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Zulgaines
Member since 2003 • 9750 Posts
Kardinal47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Kardinal47
Member since 2007 • 144 Posts

Said I would never get a 360. Went from PC fanboy, to Sony fanboy and swore up and down (like the sad cows on here STILL believe) that the 360 didn't have any games.

I love it. Personally I would prefer a PC but hey, I don't have the money to build one right one so my 360 is keeping me occupied.

Hinata237

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 Hinata237
Member since 2006 • 9416 Posts
A long time ago I thought I would never get an X-box, but then I got it a couple months later.
Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Sega Genesis. I was a diehard Nintendofanboy back in the day (I was young)...I couldn't resist and I had to buy all the Sonic games. majadamus

Same here, that and Mortal Kombat with blood. (Even tho it was gawd awful.)

Douja555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Douja555
Member since 2006 • 651 Posts

I wont buy a Wii,

and from the looks of things,

I never will.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44100 Posts

Panasonic 3do the FZ-1 Model which back in the mid 90's was like 500 bucks.

Terrible game selection and awkward controls, but the best version of Street Fighter II. So I caved.

cosmostein77
Still have it with the special SF controller ! :D
crazygamer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21 crazygamer1
Member since 2003 • 845 Posts
I was a Sony fan with the original Playstation and then the PS2 and when the Xbox first came out I was one of the biggest bashers of the console you'd ever seen. But then something happened...Halo came out and the Master Chief pulled me from the pasture of the cows. Ever since I've not only bought a Xbox and then a 360 but have since shunned all that is Sony. Sony just doesn't have anything as of yet that intrigues me at all.
SiiSsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SiiSsy
Member since 2007 • 551 Posts

I won't buy a 360.

I might but it depends....while the hype machine is well underway I am yet to see an 08 that really shines on the console. And with us being not even two years in to this gen with 5 more to go...I am being patient.

ajax_on_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 ajax_on_fire
Member since 2007 • 216 Posts

the 360

I was a sony man, untill the price and no game.

Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#24 Robio_basic
Member since 2002 • 7059 Posts

There are only 2 consoles I swore I'd never buy. The first was the N64, which was mainly due to me being a huge Final Fantasy fanboy. When I heard about the Square/Nintendo split I was pissed. However, once I saw Ocarina of Time, I changed my mind.

I have also sworn not to get a PS3, due to the way Sony's customer service treated me regarding some issues with my PS2. I'm still sticking to this one, and plan to do so. When a company treats a customer as rudely as they did, they lose that customer. It's the only way to teach them a lesson.

GundamGuy0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GundamGuy0
Member since 2003 • 10970 Posts
Who swears they don't buy a console... that's just stupid.
carsales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 carsales
wow alot of xbox's ms must be doing something right. If only they would have built a strong system.
Kardinal47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Kardinal47
Member since 2007 • 144 Posts

There are only 2 consoles I swore I'd never buy. The first was the N64, which was mainly due to me being a huge Final Fantasy fanboy. When I heard about the Square/Nintendo split I was pissed. However, once I saw Ocarina of Time, I changed my mind.

I have also sworn not to get a PS3, due to the way Sony's customer service treated me regarding some issues with my PS2. I'm still sticking to this one, and plan to do so. When a company treats a customer as rudely as they did, they lose that customer. It's the only way to teach them a lesson.

Robio_basic

More people should have that mindset. I honestly don't see what cows see in the PS3. They talk about this amazing 2008 that offers what? Aside from LittleBigPlanet (which is sad that they don't hype this, yet they hype Killzoe 2) and Metal Gear Solid 4 there is no "wow I need that" game.

They seem to believe that Sony can do no wrong and that things will be better this time around.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17827 Posts

well i never swore that id never buy a console. however i though id never get a PS2 because there was nothing really there that was getting my attention. i got the likes of GTA for my PC and the great ubi games last gen for my PC and GC. i went right off FF after 8....i hated that game and i played MGS2 on a mates PS2 and get pretty bored (im a splintercell kinda guy).

however then SOTC was released. obhiously that wasnt going to pop up on another platform. i was very tempted but couldnt stretch my budget that far (too many other games on my other platforms). then came okami....and that did it. i bought a PS2 with okami and SOTC soon after and was chuffed...there brilliant games.

lild1425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#29 lild1425
Member since 2004 • 6757 Posts
Nintendo Wii is a system I would never imagine I would buy. Inferior graphics and the name shyed me away, but a year later, it's the only system I have for this generation.
proof11102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 proof11102
Member since 2007 • 1080 Posts

PS2,

When Dreamcast died I swore off anything dealing with a playstation name brand, so I bought xbox instead, thinking it was the spritual successor to sega, but after year of waiting for a great game MS finally delivered Halo2 and I realied that I might as well give it a try becausePS2 a trybecause I couldn't really get anymore disappointed than that.

After playing MGS3 I never looked back.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44100 Posts

PS2,

When Dreamcast died I swore off anything dealing with a playstation name brand, so I bought xbox instead, thinking it was the spritual successor to sega, but after year of waiting for a great game MS finally delivered Halo2 and I realied that I might as well give it a try becausePS2 a trybecause I couldn't really get anymore disappointed than that.

proof11102

Now thats a tough one to understand !

Xbox launched with great titles; Halo, PGR, DOA & GR - how much greater did they need to be - sheesh !

ramulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ramulux
Member since 2004 • 2253 Posts
i had a n64 and when ps2 was coming out and dreamcast and xbox i vowed i'd never buy a sony or microsoft product so i got the dreamcast and it phailed so i got a xbox it's never let me down with games and brand and i've been loyal ever since
carsales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 carsales
I want the psp slim, I already have the psp.
X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts
Who swears they don't buy a console... that's just stupid. GundamGuy0
TreyoftheDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TreyoftheDead
Member since 2007 • 7982 Posts
The original X-Box.
Hitamaru-homia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Hitamaru-homia
Member since 2006 • 2046 Posts
a Nintendo DS.... i t didnt have games but now it does and im glad ^^
Hitamaru-homia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Hitamaru-homia
Member since 2006 • 2046 Posts
[QUOTE="proof11102"]

PS2,

SecretPolice

Now thats a tough one to understand !

Xbox launched with great titles; Halo, PGR, DOA & GR - how much greater did they need to be - sheesh !

FFX,MGS2,Dark Cloud 1 & 2,DMC1,2,3,and more... Xbox got ate there were no games >.>

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
I bought all 3 systems last gen. I only expected to own a PS2 which I bought at launch. But there was the Legend of Zelda Clloector's Edition plus Price cut Game Cube. I couldn't resist. I bought the Xbox just Halo CE glad I did. This gen after buying all last gen I just wasn't sure. I knew having all 3 would be very expensive so I held back. My PS2 died Time Splitters FP servers went down nothing was going good for me so I sold the Xbox made a quick decidion based mostly on price, and which console I had left(GAme Cube) as well as a few exclusives like Zelda, Star Fox, Metroid, and Battalion WArs. I went with the Wii. :)
laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 laughingman42
Member since 2007 • 8730 Posts
When I was young I was a hardcore nintendo fanboy. Then the dreamcast came out. Then I swore I would never buy a PS2 because sony's BS had a big hand in killing the dreamcast, but I have one anyway.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#40 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
ive never swore i wouldnt get a console. if it has enough exclusives i want, ill buy it eventually.
gingerdivid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 gingerdivid
Member since 2006 • 7206 Posts
I got a Wii, unfortunately I haven't been able to justify my purchase yet. Maybe I should of stuck to my guns :(
Magical_Zebra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 Magical_Zebra
Member since 2003 • 7960 Posts

I'm just curious who's baught a console they swore they'd never buy? I'm holding out on the wii, but the wife wants one.carsales

I bought a PS3 a week after launch. Fourtunately I was able to return it to EB games the day after Xmas.... :D

y2kzorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 y2kzorak
Member since 2006 • 381 Posts

Well, not the console per say, but... Here's the story:

I wanted nothing to do with the PS2. Being a Sega fangirl, I was kinda ticked off at what Sony had to do to steal the thunder from the Dreamcast, which was lying about the real world performance of the PS2, causing the brain-numbed idiots to salivate for the console like good little Pavlovian dogs, only the dogs were smarter. ;)

Well, I wasn't going to be one of those people who bought into the hype. And I didn't. In fact, I still don't. But then I was introduced to Guitar Hero II when my brother got it for a birthday present. It took over 6 years, but finally someone put a game out on the PS2 that actually made me want to buy the system. Still, I wasn't going to.

So May of this year, said brother comes to town on vacation, brings GHII but leaves his PS2 behind. He then buys one, and gives it to me before he leaves. So now I own a PS2 with no games. And it wasn't until July that I finally broke down and bought my own copy of GHII. In a way, I felt a little dirty, since I told myself long ago I wanted nothing to do with Sony's gaming division.

In any case, I love GHII. But that will probably be the last time I spend money on Playstation anything.

bc1391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 bc1391
Member since 2004 • 11906 Posts

PS2,

proof11102
Did you buy JSRF, Panzer Dragoon, Otogi 1 & 2, Shenmue, and Gunvalkyrie? Xbox had a good list of Sega games:?.
jacky531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jacky531
Member since 2007 • 1121 Posts
I never thought I would be interested to buy a psp but now since the slim came out I will probably buy during december maybe at costco to get a more accessories
bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts
PS2....was a die-hard Nintendo fan. But I played the PS2 at one of my friends and was amazed, I bought it a month or two after launch. I also bought a GC.....but this gen I'm staying away from Nintendo all togther. I remained faithful to Sony and got a PS3.
ghoulsandghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ghoulsandghost
Member since 2007 • 507 Posts
i swore that i wouldnt buy a dreamcast, but guess what i bought it on launch day :)
TTDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#48 TTDog
Member since 2007 • 3545 Posts
The original Xbox... when it came out and was the size of a suitcase with a controller to match it was hilarious... but then the PS2 market became over whelmed with crap clones of great games to try and make a cheap buck, every time a decent game came out there'd be 10+ wannabees that stank, so I picked up an Xbox to get some variety and try stuff like PGR and KOTOR... made me realise that being a fanboy just means you miss out on great games.
Private_Vegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Private_Vegas
Member since 2007 • 2783 Posts
I swore I would never purchase the Wii, then I did. Now I regret going back on my word.
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#50 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
I didn't want a Wii at all. I kind of wish I'd not given into its popularity.