Creator of FXAA gives thoughts on Orbis and Durango specs

• 188 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts

Sounds pretty good.

PS4

''The real reason to get excited about a PS4 is what Sony as a company does with the OS and system libraries as a platform, and what this enables 1st party studios to do, when they make PS4-only games. If PS4 has a real-time OS, with a libGCM style low level access to the GPU, then the PS4 1st party games will be years ahead of the PC simply because it opens up what is possible on the GPU. Note this won't happen right away on launch, but once developers tool up for the platform, this will be the case. As a PC guy who knows hardware to the metal, I spend most of my days in frustration knowing damn well what I could do with the hardware, but what I cannot do because Microsoft and IHVs wont provide low-level GPU access in PC APIs. One simple example, drawcalls on PC have easily 10x to 100x the overhead of a console with a libGCM style API.''

''On this platform I'd be concerned with memory bandwidth. Only DDR3 for system/GPU memory pared with 32MB of "ESRAM" sounds troubling. 32MB of ESRAM is only really enough to do forward shading with MSAA using only 32-bits/pixel color with 2xMSAA at 1080p or 4xMSAA at 720p. Anything else to ESRAM would require tiling and resolves like on the Xbox360 (which would likely be a DMA copy on 720) or attempting to use the slow DDR3 as a render target. I'd bet most titles attempting deferred shading will be stuck at 720p with only poor post process AA (like FXAA). If this GPU is pre-GCN with a serious performance gap to PS4, then this next Xbox will act like a boat anchor, dragging down the min-spec target for cross-platform next-generation games.''

http://timothylottes.blogspot.fr/2013/01/orbis-and-durango.html

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

When he says ahead of the PC he means in terms of what they can do on the back end interfacing with the hardware and getting the most out of the hardware. PCs are horribly inefficent due to their OS and their grpahic APIs.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#3 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

If these specs are true, and PS4 gets full third party support (just like 360 got this gen), then i may get it instead of the next Xbox. I'm waiting for something official.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

Lol!The PS4 won't be stronger then PC's. He's probably talking about something else.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

good read but i don't think MS will be stupid enough to release a weak ass system when they have money to release a powerful system. If they do release some outdated sh!t like Nintendo is doing then lol. Keep hearing good things about ps4, now make a controller that doesn't suck for shooters and im getting it day one.

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 killzowned24

When he says ahead of the PC he means in terms of what they can do on the back end interfacing with the hardware and getting the most out of the hardware. PCs are horribly inefficent due to their OS and their grpahic APIs.

Wasdie
Which seems to be a whole lot and gave tons of reasons :P
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
You should make clear that hes talking about the eurogamer rumours and not any personal knowledge in the OP though ...
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

killzowned24

Which seems to be a whole lot and gave tons of reasons :P

It's a constant struggle between optimization and flexibility/compatibility.

DX and OpenGL cannot afford to be as optimized as the APIs on consoles.

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 killzowned24
You should make clear that hes talking about the eurogamer rumours and not any personal knowledge in the OP though ...blue_hazy_basic
He makes it very clear in the link.
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]You should make clear that hes talking about the eurogamer rumours and not any personal knowledge in the OP though ...killzowned24
He makes it very clear in the link.

But as no one in SW reads the link ..... :P
RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

Wasdie

Most of the ineffiencey is on the CPU side though.

You will notice this is lousy console to PC ports.

danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 danish-death
Member since 2004 • 5314 Posts

Lol!The PS4 won't be stronger then PC's. He's probably talking about something else.

super600
He's most likely talking about how developers can better utilize and optimize the GPU of the PS3 oppose to a PC. It won't suddenly be better than the high end GPUs available, but it'll perfom better than similar ones. At least that's how I read it.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts
I know Sony will deliver and wont drop core like other have. That's all I need.
danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 danish-death
Member since 2004 • 5314 Posts
Also, according to this: Orbis -> Durango. I was hoping for more equal consoles though tbh ._.
killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 killzowned24
[QUOTE="super600"]

danish-death
He's most likely talking about how developers can better utilize and optimize the GPU of the PS3 oppose to a PC. It won't suddenly be better than the high end GPUs available, but it'll perfom better than similar ones. At least that's how I read it.

This is what he said at the end. ''I could continue here, but I'm not, by now you get the picture, launch titles will likely be DX11 ports, so perhaps not much better than what could be done on PC. However if Sony provides the real-time OS with libGCM v2 for GCN, one or two years out, 1st party devs and Sony's internal teams like the ICE team, will have had long enough to build up tech to really leverage the platform.'' either way, sounds good to me :P
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

RyviusARC

No it's not. There is plenty of inefficiency on the GPU side of things.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

Figured as much... Hope the gimped specs rumors arn't true.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Wasdie  Moderator

Truth_Hurts_U

Gimped specs?

The specs are fine.

Do you know how much of my 3770k CPU games like ArmA 2 and Shougn 2 use? Less than 15%. Honestly your arguments in all of the threads how why the new consoles are so gimped make no sense.

wakefulness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 wakefulness
Member since 2010 • 3989 Posts

I hope the BD drive has read speeds fast enough to where installs are no longer mandatory.

The technical issue of "texture popping"will hopefully not be an issue in the PS4.

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
You should make clear that hes talking about the eurogamer rumours and not any personal knowledge in the OP though ...blue_hazy_basic
This.

super600
use the context of the opinion. That´s not what he meant.
wakefulness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 wakefulness
Member since 2010 • 3989 Posts

[QUOTE="Truth_Hurts_U"]

Wasdie

Gimped specs?

The specs are fine.

Do you know how much of my 3770k CPU games like ArmA 2 and Shougn 2 use? Less than 15%. Honestly your arguments in all of the threads how why the new consoles are so gimped make no sense.

What is the QA requirement that allows people to post in System Wars?

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Truth_Hurts_U

Gimped specs?

The specs are fine.

Wasdie

You must not play many games. Even with 4.4 GHz I see game use 40%+ of my 3770k. That's at 1080p.

Follow hardware more... It's so easy to see. Sick of people thinking laptop grade CPU's are something good or even tablet grade. Then you drop a low end GPU on it and it just don't make sense.

Were looking at just enough power to run 1080p 60 FPS without all the bells and whistles.

I remember all the specs fighting over the 360. Alot of it turned out to be true. That the buffer wasn't enought and that it would have a hard time running 720p games.

This is all pointing to another repeat.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Gimped specs?

The specs are fine.

Truth_Hurts_U

You must not play many games. Even with 4.4 GHz I see game use 40%+ of my 3770k. That's at 1080p.

Follow hardware more... It's so easy to see. Sick of people thinking laptop grade CPU's are something good or even tablet grade. Then you drop a low end GPU on it and it just don't make sense.

Were looking at just enough power to run 1080p 60 FPS without all the bells and whistles.

I remember all the specs fighting over the 360. Alot of it turned out to be true. That the buffer wasn't enought and that it would have a hard time running 720p games.

This is all pointing to another repeat.

I follow hardware plenty and I understand things like overhead, which Windows and DirectX have tons. The bottlenecks of the 7th gen consoles will be gone with these new consoles. Their CPUs are more than powerful enough to handle plenty and their GPUs are a massive boost. The biggest thing is RAM. The RAM bottleneck is finally gone and console game developers can finally start opening up their games and not being limited by a lack of RAM.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 Sushiglutton  Online
Member since 2009 • 9874 Posts
Can't say I understood half of that, but it sounds like the guy is enthusiastic about the PS4 specs which is fantastic news :D. I mean the guy is obv an über-hermit and for him to praise Ps4 is awesome. Hope he is right (and that these are the real specs).
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts
The creator of what¿ neverheard of him which Im sure the majority of system wars wont....and I dont know if he said it or you but how can someone call they're creation poor post processing and then be taken seriously.
Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Truth_Hurts_U

I follow hardware plenty and I understand things like overhead, which Windows and DirectX have tons. The bottlenecks of the 7th gen consoles will be gone with these new consoles. Their CPUs are more than powerful enough to handle plenty and their GPUs are a massive boost. The biggest thing is RAM. The RAM bottleneck is finally gone and console game developers can finally start opening up their games and not being limited by a lack of RAM.

Wasdie

This is Boarderlands 2 quick run around sanc... Didn't shoot or anything.

40% use on physical cores. Average it out with the fake cores (extra threads) it's around 30% CPU usage just running a circle in a game that looks like a cartoon.

I don't know why 720 is gonna have 8GB of RAM when it's bandwidth is so horrible. I rather have 4GB and way faster memory.

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 killzowned24

The creator of what¿ neverheard of him which Im sure the majority of system wars wont....and I dont know if he said it or you but how can someone call they're creation poor post processing and then be taken seriously.WilliamRLBaker

He is the guy who helped Halo no longer be a jagfest :lol:

cryemocry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 cryemocry
Member since 2013 • 590 Posts

Wasdie
software rendering sidesteps that. uninstall your graphics driver and load up quake 1 or 2.
Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

Wasdie is wrong on this one.

Most of the bottleneck from GPU API calls IS bound to the CPU. THAT is the main issue. Calls to the GPU are never free on PC, they NEED to hit up the CPU due to the nature of the stack. it is mostly CPU overhead that has to be designed around or brute forced through with a powerful CPU.

However, DX 11 coupled with modern DX 11 hardware, alleviates this with things like command buffers,instancing and multi-threaded rendering. Modern engines too use things like draw call batching and being meticulous about performance efficiency in all steps of the rendering chain to help.

So yes, if you can bypass the CPU and go direclty to the GPU X amount of work will be performed faster - how much faster depends on just how much of X relies on expensive CPU bound calls to the GPU.

It's entirely possible to build a game that performs almost identically on a console and a PC. It's also entirely possible to build one that performs horribly on PC and runs much better on console, but you'll have to essentialyl purposely be tryign to do so, or completley ignoring the requirements of the PC pipeline.

Bottom line: a modern engine, running on modern DX 11 hardware via a DX 11 renderer that is properly optimized on the PC will perform about as well as the same engine on the consoles. Worst case scenerio, such an engine might run into a 10-40% performance drop on the PC in certian areas or when doing certina things.

Of course, the thing about PC hardware and modern rendering API's is that everything renders the same on all hardware, it's only speed that differs. So you throw in a bigger GPU and BAM, you've not only got that 10-40% performance back, but you also gained some too. In other words, by the time the developers are consistently getting that extra 10-40% improvement on their end, Pc ahrdware is already considerably more powerful than what the consoles have.

Of course, since the CPU and GPU are so dependant on each other on the PC, you probably also need a beefy CPU in order to get the most out of that new GPU.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

cryemocry

software rendering sidesteps that. uninstall your graphics driver and load up quake 1 or 2.

Software rendering is a term used to describe 3D rendering on the CPU. That ain't goign to solve anything, it just ciompounds the issue by a thousand fold. The WHOLE point is to try and reduce the dependency on the CPU, so that you can freely acess the GPU.

On PC the OS can't let you do that. It's not safe from a security angle, and from a usability angle.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

This is only for PS4 first party games the majority of games will be multiplatform releasing also on 360 or PC whats he saying could happen would make a devs game unportable and not to many thirdparty would want to give up sales of the other platforms nor will they spend time and money coding 2 diffrent versions of the game to fully maximize ps4 performance. PC will brute force it way to superiority regardless of any overhead inefficieny there's already going to be a new revision of gpu in the next few months that should give a 30%-40% increase and no new console is worth buying at launch barely any games to play need need at least a year preferably two by then there will be another new revision with another 30%-40% increase.

He says current highend gpu are around 16 times stronger then current consoles but you don't need modern highend single gpu to beat out consoles in performance and graphics in games the 4+ year old 4870 1gb is enough even the slightly weaker 5770 1gb can do it. It can run Battlefield 3 at 1920x1080 with AA 0ff at 30fps(cap it there for consistancy) all high settings mp with 64 players. While the consoles can only do 1280x720 low settings with 24 players and same 30fps. So only takes a gpu around 4 times as strong to surpass consoles despite pc inefficany and even less if you game at lower resolutions. PC Hardware already surpasses the next gen specs by double and the gap will only get bigger in time.

But regardless of how they compare to pc next gen console will be a big jump from current ones and gaming as a whole will benefit as we will have less restirctions and bottlenecks in hardware for multiplatform devs to make the game they want and everything will look better graphically as well :D.

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

If these specs are true, and PS4 gets full third party support (just like 360 got this gen), then i may get it instead of the next Xbox. I'm waiting for something official.

PAL360

I will get both as usual, it is about the games for me and both have games i want

WiiU too

But if MS sustem is far weaker, then i can see them losing every bit of an edge they had this generation

percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 percech
Member since 2011 • 5237 Posts
Is he seriously commenting on rumoured specs? LMAO GTFO OF HERE
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

Most of the bottleneck from GPU API calls IS bound to the CPU. THAT is the main issue. Calls to the GPU are never free on PC, they NEED to hit up the CPU due to the nature of the stack. it is mostly CPU overhead that has to be designed around or brute forced through with a powerful CPU.

However, DX 11 coupled with modern DX 11 hardware, alleviates this with things like command buffers,instancing and multi-threaded rendering. Modern engines too use things like draw call batching and being meticulous about performance efficiency in all steps of the rendering chain to help.

So yes, if you can bypass the CPU and go direclty to the GPU X amount of work will be performed faster - how much faster depends on just how much of X relies on expensive CPU bound calls to the GPU.

It's entirely possible to build a game that performs almost identically on a console and a PC. It's also entirely possible to build one that performs horribly on PC and runs much better on console, but you'll have to essentialyl purposely be tryign to do so, or completley ignoring the requirements of the PC pipeline.

Bottom line: a modern engine, running on modern DX 11 hardware via a DX 11 renderer that is properly optimized on the PC will perform about as well as the same engine on the consoles. Worst case scenerio, such an engine might run into a 10-40% performance drop on the PC in certian areas or when doing certina things.

Of course, the thing about PC hardware and modern rendering API's is that everything renders the same on all hardware, it's only speed that differs. So you throw in a bigger GPU and BAM, you've not only got that 10-40% performance back, but you also gained some too. In other words, by the time the developers are consistently getting that extra 10-40% improvement on their end, Pc ahrdware is already considerably more powerful than what the consoles have.

Of course, since the CPU and GPU are so dependant on each other on the PC, you probably also need a beefy CPU in order to get the most out of that new GPU.

Kinthalis

The drawcalls in the article is all about the memory allocation and amount cpu cycles is needed to send the gpu the data on the fly. Which is why with Pc's, most of the game data is stored onto memory then is processed. It has nothing to do with the gpu performance by itself. The guy in the article does not know and states maybe if Sony opened up the gpu assembly they could change the barriers for texture fetch abilities by upto 30%. Which does not Not the total performance of the gpu the efficiency and optimization methods can not allow a set gpu perform faster then its max theoretical processing ability. If its design to do 1.7 TFLOP that is all it can do, it cant perform as fast as a gpu that's 2+ TFLOP. Now compared to a gpu that equal ie 1.7 vs 1.7 TFLOP you can see the coding allowing the console gpu being able to handle the same workload 10-15% better.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts
so cows are now going to start deluding themselves again? the PS3 was not more powerful then PCs at the time and neither will the PS4
Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts
So can someone post what he just said in english? Is he saying good stuff about them?
Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Blazerdt47
Member since 2004 • 5671 Posts

Hmmm the PS4 is really starting to get interesting, I can't wait to see a full spec blowout.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts
So can someone post what he just said in english? Is he saying good stuff about them?Capitan_Kid
In summary PS4 new hardware means more options and performance, with some tweaking sony could get some aspects of the gpu to perform slightly better then its pc counterpart, With xbox its more of a multi media hub with kinect and the slower DDR3 will limit the console's abilities.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

The creator of what¿ neverheard of him which Im sure the majority of system wars wont....and I dont know if he said it or you but how can someone call they're creation poor post processing and then be taken seriously.WilliamRLBaker

You should try thinking before speaking instead of being the usual mouthbreathing neckbeard

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Wasdie  Moderator

Kinthalis

What I was getting at is that the CPUs for the next gen consoles are fine and are not bottlenecks. This is what tightly controlled hardware that you find in a conosle gets you. It's a major benifit.

CKYguy25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 CKYguy25
Member since 2012 • 2087 Posts

super600

you don't know that

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

[QUOTE="RyviusARC"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Wasdie

No it's not. There is plenty of inefficiency on the GPU side of things.

He's actually right about the inefficiencies being on the CPU side a lot of the time. As pointed out earlier the graphic API's cause a lot of overhead. The catch is that the overhead can be on the CPU as well as the GPU. Back in 2001 a Average PC could do around 700-800 draw calls to the GPU while a console like the gamecube could do 1500 easily. Dynamic batching is a common way to lower the number of draw calls. Anyway the point is that CPU's can also pose a problem because of graphic API overheads. A lot of the time the reason your CPU usage may be low(on a modern game of course) is because of the way the engine is handling the timings for its rendering thread. It's just a matter of bad code vs good code.

Next gen CPU's will be enough. you are right about that, but only because they have little to no api overhead. If the same CPU was put in a PC we would run into a serious problem.

NineTailedGoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 NineTailedGoku
Member since 2012 • 1977 Posts

super600

You're talking as if PC is a closed platform, I mean its a computer for goodness sakes. Any new CPU or GPU is open to it. The correct statement is that PS4 won't be stronger than future CPUs and GPUs. PC isn't a closed or set box, its generic in every way.

Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Blazerdt47

Man this is really interesting, this is definitely going to be a beast. I can't wait to see what Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Geurilla and Santa Monica have cooked up for PS4.

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

Dontletyourtongue.jpg

Avatar image for GulliversTravel
GulliversTravel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 GulliversTravel
Member since 2009 • 3110 Posts

Wasdie
I really enjoy your honesty when these days PC elitists cry foul at the word 'optimisation.'
Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Blazerdt47

I'm worried that Durango will not pace well with PS4. Microsoft using 3GB of RAM just for the OS is total bullsh*t. That leaves 5GB of DDR3 left.

They are most likely putting Windows 8 it in it. Ridiculous.

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Tessellation
Member since 2009 • 9297 Posts
Yay more rumors being used as facts,so it makes the leaks of Sweetvar26 also true,He got info from a guy working at AMD and said that durango is more powerful than orbis...and he ain't making BS up since he was the first to leak all the ''rumored'' specs of each console.
Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

I honestly predicted xbox brand was going downhill after Peter Moore left and Don Mattrick was appointed the interactive media president at MS.

I'm really sad to hear that, as my fav console this gen was X360. I really hope they'll change the specs prior launch.