Carmack: Rage for PC is garbage, console versions superior

• 176 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mbrockway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 mbrockway
Member since 2007 • 3560 Posts

[QUOTE="mbrockway"]I already tried the config thing. Didn't help, deleted it and the modified shortcut. The Rage driver helped, at least the letterboxing in movies doesn't flicker in and out. Maybe it'll be fixed when the crossfire drivers come out. It plays fine now, the screen tearing just sucks something awful. Already had triple buffering and app settings for aniso.Teufelhuhn

You can force VSYNC through the control panel if you want to fix the tearing.

I usually set it to "on unless app specifies" cause some games it works fine with it off. Fixed the screen tearing though. Game is pretty playable now. Still frame dips (I want my crossfire enabled dangit) but the game looks great and plays great. The other fps rpg's can't touch id when it comes to shooting feel. There is still some texture loading though when you turn fast. I am annoyed at how much crap I had to adjust to get this game playable though.

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
Didn't they say a few days ago that not having PC as the lead platform was one of the biggest mistakes in Rages development?
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#153 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

Oh damn, this is going to piss the hermits off like no tomorrow.

arkephonic
No @#$%!! lol!! It obvious the PC version was not done by Carmack primary team, but some contractors brought in from outside Id's core of developers. Still, even the console version of the game isn't perfect. I'm just disappointed that there wasn't a whole lot of originality to the game or the story.
Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#154 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

Misleading title and his statement is nothing more than a common knowledge.

Moriarity_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 Moriarity_
Member since 2011 • 1332 Posts
1. Developer releases crappy copy pasta console port on pc 2. pc gamers get mad at dev because the game runs like crap and pc gamers don't buy it 3. dev blames pc/pirates for lack of sales 4. ??????? 5. don't profit? I think it's obvious that Carmack is talking about himself in that last sentence because it is quite clear that he put little(if any) effort into the pc version of Rage.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Didn't they say a few days ago that not having PC as the lead platform was one of the biggest mistakes in Rages development? Iantheone

No that was stated way back at E3.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

[QUOTE="Iantheone"]Didn't they say a few days ago that not having PC as the lead platform was one of the biggest mistakes in Rages development? ChubbyGuy40

No that was stated way back at E3.

Thats what they get for taking so long to release it and not keep updating with the new hardware. BF3 is taking long to make too but see how that looks.

They hyped this megatexture BS for so long and made it out to be the best looking and best running game around and then the final product was as if someone squeezed the game from their ass

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#158 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

So basically hes saying Rage for PC isnt really that great, but the consolites will lap it up because they have lower standards?

If the console version was superior ( which Camack never said by the way ) they would probably have used footage from the console version in the trailers they released on TV, but no, its all PC.

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts

So basically hes saying Rage for PC isnt really that great, but the consolites will lap it up because they have lower standards?

If the console version was superior ( which Camack never said by the way ) they would probably have used footage from the console version in the trailers they released on TV, but no, its all PC.

pelvist
Why does the source of footage matter when it's the exact same game though?
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 ChubbyGuy40

Thats what they get for taking so long to release it and not keep updating with the new hardware. BF3 is taking long to make too but see how that looks.

They hyped this megatexture BS for so long and made it out to be the best looking and best running game around and then the final product was as if someone squeezed the game from their ass

seanmcloughlin

Rage has been in development for 5-6 years. Battlefield has just about 3.

There is nothing overhyped about Megatexture. It's a great addition. It's streaming that is the problem. It runs great on my system even before the patch. Sucks for those AMD users :lol:

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#161 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60723 Posts
Works well on my PC, steady 60FPS and no tearing or pop-in. *shrug*
AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#162 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

"We do not see the PC as the leading platform for games," Carmack added. "That statement will enrage some people, but it is hard to characterize it otherwise; both console versions will have larger audiences than the PC version. A high end PC is nearly 10 times as powerful as a console, and we could unquestionably provide a better experience if we chose that as our design point and we were able to expend the same amount of resources on it. Nowadays most of the quality of a game comes from the development effort put into it, not the technology it runs on. A game built with a tenth the resources on a platform 10 times as powerful would be an inferior product in almost all cases."

kotaku.com/5847761/why-was-the-pc-launch-of-rage-such-a-cluster

NerubianWeaver
Talks carmack which RAGE scored 7s and 8s. /Clap for you .. I hope dont "destroy" Doom 4 and in the end who made ID what it is today ? Consoles? Carmack = biggest nap of all time..period
topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

ChubbyGuy40

Rage has been in development for 5-6 years. Battlefield has just about 3.

There is nothing overhyped about Megatexture. It's a great addition. It's streaming that is the problem. It runs great on my system even before the patch. Sucks for those AMD users :lol:

What's so great about it exactly?

I don't see the big deal in never seeing the same rock twice.

EvanTheGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 EvanTheGamer
Member since 2009 • 1550 Posts
AAA Topic Should not be news to non-self loathing gamers though.
flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#165 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

Welp, I think we should expect a bleak future should a new Quake be announced.

mbrockway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 mbrockway
Member since 2007 • 3560 Posts
Mega textures are awesome. The engine was just broken as shipped. I especially like how this game doesn't have any annoying color filters like Assassin's Creed or Gears. The tech kind of reminds me of the old "Nature" demo from 3DMark. Ginormous texture maps on fairly simple geometry. Its a beautiful game. And its got great gunplay and so far an interesting world.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 ChubbyGuy40

Talks carmack which RAGE scored 7s and 8s. /Clap for you .. I hope dont "destroy" Doom 4 and in the end who made ID what it is today ? Consoles? Carmack = biggest nap of all time..periodAzatiS

He already stated he's going all out for Doom 4 on PC. I really want to see what id tech 5 is capable of without it's cel-shaded style visuals. Wonder if it's gonna be more Doom or Doom 3.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#168 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts

[QUOTE="AzatiS"] Talks carmack which RAGE scored 7s and 8s. /Clap for you .. I hope dont "destroy" Doom 4 and in the end who made ID what it is today ? Consoles? Carmack = biggest nap of all time..periodChubbyGuy40

He already stated he's going all out for Doom 4 on PC. I really want to see what id tech 5 is capable of without it's cel-shaded style visuals. Wonder if it's gonna be more Doom or Doom 3.

Looks like he changed his mind.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 ChubbyGuy40

topgunmv

If I remember correctly, their Megatexture/virtual texture tech allows artists to modify the textures in-engine. You can now literally paint right then and there, which is a huge step forward for artists.

It's not exactly for us, but more for their artists I think.

Looks like he changed his mind.GeneralShowzer

Uhh...no? He announced that during E3, where he stated developing Rage for consoles was a huge mistake.

Valiant_Rebel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 Valiant_Rebel
Member since 2009 • 4197 Posts

[QUOTE="AzatiS"] Talks carmack which RAGE scored 7s and 8s. /Clap for you .. I hope dont "destroy" Doom 4 and in the end who made ID what it is today ? Consoles? Carmack = biggest nap of all time..periodChubbyGuy40

More like this, me thinks.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#171 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts

>Uhh...no? He announced that during E3, where he stated developing Rage for consoles was a huge mistake.

ChubbyGuy40

"We do not see the PC as the leading platform for games,"

In a recent interview. Doesn't sound to me like he will keep his word on Doom 4. But whatever.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

[QUOTE="AzatiS"] Talks carmack which RAGE scored 7s and 8s. /Clap for you .. I hope dont "destroy" Doom 4 and in the end who made ID what it is today ? Consoles? Carmack = biggest nap of all time..periodValiant_Rebel

More like this, me thinks.

*pics*

lol, that would be scary but, system requirements cant be that high^^

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#173 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

Where did he say that PC version is garbage again?

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

ChubbyGuy40

If I remember correctly, their Megatexture/virtual texture tech allows artists to modify the textures in-engine. You can now literally paint right then and there, which is a huge step forward for artists.

It's not exactly for us, but more for their artists I think.

That's interesting I suppose. Still have to wonder if it's worth the space and technical drawbacks though.

DerpyMcDerp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#175 DerpyMcDerp
Member since 2010 • 1165 Posts

Who cares? Carmack is a hack and RAGE is terrible.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts
All I know is the Xbox 360 version sure looks fantastic and I'm having fun with the campaign.