Carmack: Rage for PC is garbage, console versions superior

• 176 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

but rage sucked on all platforms equallyFirebird-5

You wish. It only sucked on PC.

Glad I'm not a hermit right now.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

[QUOTE="Firebird-5"]but rage sucked on all platforms equallyZombieKiller7

You wish. It only sucked on PC.

Glad I'm not a hermit right now.

It only sucked if you had an AMD card, which is already fixed. PC is the best version, no doubt about it.

And it's going to get even better once mods start comming out.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#53 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts
but rage sucked on all platforms equallyFirebird-5
No.......the XBOX360 version is the best.The PC version of RAGE is the worst.....the XBOX own the PC....poor hermits..lol
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 ChubbyGuy40

No.......the XBOX360 version is the best.The PC version of RAGE is the worst.....the XBOX own the PC....poor hermits..lolAtariKidX

poor consolites thinking they get a superior version :lol:

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#55 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

[QUOTE="AtariKidX"]No.......the XBOX360 version is the best.The PC version of RAGE is the worst.....the XBOX own the PC....poor hermits..lolChubbyGuy40

poor consolites thinking they get a superior version :lol:

RAGE on the XBOX have got 8....RAGE on the PC have got only 7.:lol:

OmegaApache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 OmegaApache
Member since 2011 • 81 Posts

Rage sucked on PC, ITS ALL ID'S FAULT.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 ChubbyGuy40

AtariKidX

Higher standards :P The texture streaming already got fixed, and it also has better textures.

Now we wait for mods...

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

[QUOTE="AtariKidX"]

ChubbyGuy40

Higher standards :P

Nope.

"Rage is better enjoyed on an Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3"

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#59 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

[QUOTE="AtariKidX"]

waltefmoney

Nope.

The problems why that was reccomendation was given have already been fixed.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#60 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23285 Posts

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

[QUOTE="AtariKidX"]

waltefmoney

Nope.

It was...only for one day lol.
waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

The problems why that was reccomended was given have already been fixed.ferret-gamer

So it wasn't because of higher standards, but because the PC version simply wasn't as good when the score was given?

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 ChubbyGuy40

Nope.

waltefmoney

How can it possibly be better enjoyed with a controller? Playing an id game with a controller is just wrong.

It was better enjoyed because some people who owned AMD cards, would receive massive visuals bugs. I know I'd rather see the game than the untextures objects and disappearing enemies.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"]The problems why that was reccomended was given have already been fixed.waltefmoney

So it wasn't because of higher standards, but because the PC version simply wasn't as good when the score was given?

yes, on release it was practically broken for a large amount of people and for others it still had visual problems. The drivers fixed some stuff and the community fixed up the rest.
jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#64 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5468 Posts
[QUOTE="RyviusARC"]After a few config tweaks the PC version of Rage runs fine. Here is a video I uploaded as proof. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtxwKcMjhHg

I think your missing the point a bit. You or anyone should not have to go that far in the 1st place. To top it off not everyone has that knowledge off hand.
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#65 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

God, what the hell happened with Rage.

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

If it is as bad as its been made out to be people should be entitled to a refund, they obviously knew they were releasing an unfinished product...

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 ChubbyGuy40

I think your missing the point a bit. You or anyone should not have to go that far in the 1st place. To top it off not everyone has that knowledge off hand. jwsoul

If you can't create a text file and copy+paste some text, then I don't think that person would even be able to operate a console.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#69 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

So, the graphical issues and such have been mostly fixed on PC?
If so, kudos to the people who fixed it, that is very fast. And if id soft fixed it I take back my nasty posts about id soft's treatment of the pc crowd.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

**** happens Carmack.

Now you've learned that not even you can defy Moore's law.

Next game pl0x.

milannoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 milannoir
Member since 2008 • 1663 Posts

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

[QUOTE="AtariKidX"]

waltefmoney

Nope.

I completely agree with that statement. Mediocre FPS games will always be better enjoyed on inferior platforms than on PC, where you can find legions of better ones :P

stvee101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 stvee101
Member since 2006 • 2953 Posts

So us PC gamers now just have CDProjeckt,Blizzard,Creative Assembly and.............?

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#73 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

How can it possibly be better enjoyed with a controller? Playing an id game with a controller is just wrong.ChubbyGuy40

Hate to tell you this, but it isn't the 90s anymore.

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts
Sad to see the launch wasn't as spectacular as he hoped. RAGE interests me, and the shooting felt solid when I tried it. I'll perhaps pick it up on 360 sometime, got too much at the moment though!
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

"We do not see the PC as the leading platform for games," Carmack added. "That statement will enrage some people, but it is hard to characterize it otherwise; both console versions will have larger audiences than the PC version. A high end PC is nearly 10 times as powerful as a console, and we could unquestionably provide a better experience if we chose that as our design point and we were able to expend the same amount of resources on it. Nowadays most of the quality of a game comes from the development effort put into it, not the technology it runs on. A game built with a tenth the resources on a platform 10 times as powerful would be an inferior product in almost all cases."

kotaku.com/5847761/why-was-the-pc-launch-of-rage-such-a-cluster

NerubianWeaver

Thread title is VERY misleading and condescending.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

So what Carmack said boiled down to words SW could understand yes?:

Developing for consoles, which is the lowest common denominator, does not utilize what PC can do, and leaves the PC with a game that requires only 1/10th of the systems power to run, since the way they build Rage would be the same across the board. As a tecnical director he consideres Rage on the PC the worst, becasue it is not optimized for pc.

Yeah I agree with that, well that and the bad drivers, which happens ever odd month.

Goes quite well with what he said in June me thinks... "Devoloping for consoles, and making it the same across the board was a mistake, one they would not do again".

So basicly id found out the same Dice found out, its pointless to focus on consoles, when it is more efficient to focus on the pc build, and then scale down for consoles, in that way all systems would operate within thier power limits, and no one would sit with an overly powerful system, never being used fully.

To me it seems fairly basic really. Carmack stated multiple times that he really werrent happy with the way they made Rage nor thier focus.

Lets just hope the devs who are now so tired of the industry grinding to a halt, do not get persuaded by the next gen of consoles, which will end up just like this one did. Start with impressive, and end like old wornout tech like an old calculator.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#77 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts
Glad I didn't buy Rage after all. Seeing as there are pratically no graphics options for the PC version and that horrible texture pop in, with low res textures up close. Maybe when they patch it and release the GOTY eddition I might grab it.
TreyoftheDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#78 TreyoftheDead
Member since 2007 • 7982 Posts

Developing for consoles, which is the lowest common denominator, does not utilize what PC can do, and leaves the PC with a game that requires only 1/10th of the systems power to run, since the way they build Rage would be the same across the board. As a tecnical director he consideres Rage on the PC the worst, becasue it is not optimized for pc.

Yeah I agree with that, well that and the bad drivers, which happens ever odd month.

Goes quite well with what he said in June me thinks... "Devoloping for consoles, and making it the same across the board was a mistake, one they would not do again".

So basicly id found out the same Dice found out, its pointless to focus on consoles, when it is more efficient to focus on the pc build, and then scale down for consoles, in that way all systems would operate within thier power limits, and no one would sit with an overly powerful system, never being used fully.

To me it seems fairly basic really. Carmack stated multiple times that he really werrent happy with the way they made Rage nor thier focus.

Lets just hope the devs who are now so tired of the industry grinding to a halt, do not get persuaded by the next gen of consoles, which will end up just like this one did. Start with impressive, and end like old wornout tech like an old calculator.

Maddie_Larkin

Shame most won't see it this way.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#79 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

How can it possibly be better enjoyed with a controller? Playing an id game with a controller is just wrong.drinkerofjuice

Playing any FPS with a controller is wrong, 90's or not.
Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Ravensmash
[QUOTE="drinkerofjuice"]

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

How can it possibly be better enjoyed with a controller? Playing an id game with a controller is just wrong.GeneralShowzer

How is it "wrong"? Works absolutely fine.
Avatar image for garrett_daniels
garrett_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 garrett_daniels
Member since 2003 • 610 Posts

Dear PC gamers,

Thanks for making all of our past games best-sellers, providing us with the money to get set up in the far more easily pleased console market. We don't need you any more so here's a botched port tested by the janitor. We're far too busy making DLC to patch this so we'll shift all the blame to the video card companies. It's clearly their fault that every game except ours runs perfectly on their drivers.

Your pal,

John Carmack

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Hopefully now people will stop using what Carmack says as gospel and disappear..
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#83 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

DICE is proving him wrong.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#84 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

I feel like you gotta cut him some slack. Its easier to develop for consoles and they tend to be a bit more problem free, and while usually developers can work great with a PC, Carmack has been working on that game for an entire generation!

With consoles, the architecture never changes. Everything is the same, but on PC you have to account for various GPU's, CPU's, OS, varying set ups, etc. So if RAGE isn't that great on PC, then with the time it took to develop the game I can forgive him a bit, especially since he's admitting it.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 drinkerofjuice
[QUOTE="drinkerofjuice"]

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

How can it possibly be better enjoyed with a controller? Playing an id game with a controller is just wrong.GeneralShowzer

So playing Halo: Reach with a controller is wrong, despite being console exclusive? I mean, you DID say "any".
Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Ravensmash
Hopefully now people will stop using what Carmack says as gospel and disappear.. sSubZerOo
One mistake doesn't negate the decades of expertise he has in the field. He is human after all, mistakes happen.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]Hopefully now people will stop using what Carmack says as gospel and disappear.. Ravensmash
One mistake doesn't negate the decades of expertise he has in the field. He is human after all, mistakes happen.

Expertise from a game developer that hasn't developed something since Doom 3 until recently Rage.. Which is getting mixed reviews? Technology stand point even though he is not the ones developing the best engines any more, engines like BF3's or Crytek's? Yeah no.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

Maddie_Larkin

umm wouldn't that mean that the pc version needing only 1/10th the power of the pc versions would be the best version? since there is so much power to spare? yet this is not the case...

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#89 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
No, this is what happens when you try to simultaneous release release three versions instead of releasing the consoles first and holding off on the PC version. I don't really get why publishers force multiplatform releases simultaneously... It's not like they're going to be losing money if someone buys the game for a different platform.. :?
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
[QUOTE="drinkerofjuice"]

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

So on one hand, I have all the fun I've had for the past ten years playing FPS games on consoles. On the other hand, we have your personal opinion. I'm glad there's a platform where I don't have to play with judgmental ideologues such as yourself.
GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#91 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts

[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"][QUOTE="drinkerofjuice"] Hate to tell you this, but it isn't the 90s anymore.

lowe0

So on one hand, I have all the fun I've had for the past ten years playing FPS games on consoles. On the other hand, we have your personal opinion. I'm glad there's a platform where I don't have to play with judgmental ideologues such as yourself.

And I'm glad I'm not playing FPS the wrong way.

And that I'm not playing on FPS on a platform filled with screaming 12 year olds.

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Ravensmash

[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"] Playing any FPS with a controller is wrong, 90's or not.GeneralShowzer

"Wrong way" is your subjective opinion.
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts

[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"] Playing any FPS with a controller is wrong, 90's or not.GeneralShowzer

And that I'm not playing on a platform filled with screaming 12 year olds.

Thank you for proving my point.
drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 drinkerofjuice

And that I'm not playing on FPS on a platform filled with screaming 12 year olds.

Yeah they have those on PC too, you know...
Vickman178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Vickman178
Member since 2011 • 866 Posts

I don't think carmack is such a great smart guy like everybody makes him out to be....

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#96 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

This is what Rage looks like on a midrange PC, or a high end PC from 2008.. This pictures are not mine, I grabbed them from a friend at Xfire, and according to his game rig info, he's running a 9600 GT and a 2.4ghz quadcore... the graphics card would cost like 30 dollars by todays standards

He's running 1280x1024... Probably a mix of medium/high settings.. I don't know how demanding it is.

kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#97 kris9031998
Member since 2008 • 7554 Posts
id software is dead to pc gamers, at least now they are. But that doesnt mean every PC developer is bad.....typical system wars
shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts
Well they DID make RAGE worse on the PC, no one can deny that. No matter how powerful a system is, you'll never get to tap its potential if your team isn't talented.tagyhag
Or if your team only has about 30 people. id is a very small dev studio even after the Zenimax purchase.
RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#99 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts

Carmack said that way before declaring it was a mistake developing Rage primeraly for the consoles. Kotaku showing their love for PC gaming once again. :P

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

id software is dead to pc gamers, at least now they are. But that doesnt mean every PC developer is bad.....typical system warskris9031998
Not dead to me, AMD botched the launch and the game's still fun.

id needs to work on Bosses, they're bad, unimaginative, easy, pointless, but overall not a seriously big deal, since they're a tiny % of gameplay.

Story I don't know why it's disjunct and meaningless, too bad, luckily gameplay >>> story, but it sure woulda been awsome to have a solid story.

And one last thing, purely preference, I don't like the driving almost feels like it's too hand holdy, as the car will never let go(wont drift) and let you have fun, as if it were being made for people with downs or little children who you wouldn't expect to have a grasp on how a car handles. And I don't like that the cars seem to have one gear, makes them sound funny and static looking as they never dip to switch gears (obviously I prefer much more realistic physics and manual transmissions).