Carmack: Rage for PC is garbage, console versions superior

• 176 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NerubianWeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NerubianWeaver
Member since 2010 • 2046 Posts

"We do not see the PC as the leading platform for games," Carmack added. "That statement will enrage some people, but it is hard to characterize it otherwise; both console versions will have larger audiences than the PC version. A high end PC is nearly 10 times as powerful as a console, and we could unquestionably provide a better experience if we chose that as our design point and we were able to expend the same amount of resources on it. Nowadays most of the quality of a game comes from the development effort put into it, not the technology it runs on. A game built with a tenth the resources on a platform 10 times as powerful would be an inferior product in almost all cases."

kotaku.com/5847761/why-was-the-pc-launch-of-rage-such-a-cluster

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts

Oh damn, this is going to piss the hermits off like no tomorrow.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I'm not seeing the part where he said Rage for the PC is garbage....

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

Vari3ty

Have to draw people into the thread somehow.

As for Carmack, I think he's just covering his ass over the botched pc launch, considering he said something to the opposite effect in an interview back around June.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
Well they DID make RAGE worse on the PC, no one can deny that. No matter how powerful a system is, you'll never get to tap its potential if your team isn't talented.
jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#6 jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

topgunmv

As for Carmack, I think he's just covering his ass over the botched pc launch, considering he said something to the opposite effect in an interview back around June.

Pretty much this.. Somehow, in quality control, they skipped over something (video drivers) and upon release realized they goofed. Carmack at this point is in full damage control. I mean dang, Rage is getting hit hard by all reviewers because of the streaming issue the game has. But hey, must blame nvidia and AMD for something ID should have paid attention to from the start. the whole streaming issue jsut seems as if they didn't account for the speed of Pc hardware and didn't take any time on the Pc platform. Just copy paste a console version and throw it out there. Now that there is a HUGE issue (not bugs, game not starting, but a ingame problem), they looking for people to blame.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts
After a few config tweaks the PC version of Rage runs fine. Here is a video I uploaded as proof. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtxwKcMjhHg
Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

hopefully this is a knife into those arrogant fanboys

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
Yeah people figured out that id didn't care about the PC version when it released.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

topgunmv

I agree with this, game didnt live up to the hype and is already outdated, just like carmack.
Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
Makes me glad i saved my money for Arkham City. I will buy this console port when is 5 dollars or less in a couple of months.
Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

:lol: he says this after release... it's a poor excuse for the shoddy work he produced

Firebird-5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Firebird-5
Member since 2007 • 2848 Posts
but rage sucked on all platforms equally
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

Yeah people figured out that id didn't care about the PC version when it released.ferret-gamer

They should have figured it out when he said that they were changing to a console based developer way back when rage was still in development.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

Umm if a game is marketed to a specific crowd while trashing talking another, what crowd will be happier with you?? Exactly.

All games are going multi-platform (if a publisher can afford it). They just tend to focus on certain groups more than others.

but I don't agree with consoles are what brings in all the money kind of deal. All platforms can bring in a huge amount of money if one doesn't show a bias towards one platform.

Look at games that have a netural marketing startegy. One that doesn't screw over one set of gamers and favors another. They tend to do very well on all platforms. Now if all you are going to do is trash talk a certain group gamers and treat them like second class consumers, don't expect a huge amount sales and happy people.

Most of the companies that complain about low PC sales, are companies that never gave a crap about the platform to begin with and/or kept talking the down the platform and the gamers on the platform.

Avatar image for Ikuto_Tsukiyomi
Ikuto_Tsukiyomi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ikuto_Tsukiyomi
Member since 2010 • 822 Posts

He has said this multiable times in the past that consoles are the focus and it would be better on consoles. Carmack is just in damage control cause the game you know, was a horrible port. bug filled and a mess. Next headline;

Carmack: B'awww our PC sales where bad WE'LL BLAME PIRATES AND NOT THE FACT THAT OUR PORT SUCKED ASS.

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

Its just a muliplat game. And it runs fine on my PC, and even better with the custom config.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

He has said this multiable times in the past that consoles are the focus and it would be better on consoles. Carmack is just in damage control cause the game you know, was a horrible port. bug filled and a mess. Next headline;

Carmack: B'awww our PC sales where bad WE'LL BLAME PIRATES AND NOT THE FACT THAT OUR PORT SUCKED ASS.

Ikuto_Tsukiyomi

I don't recall him ever saying it would be 'better', just that it was the focus.

It's not been all that buggy(as in no issues at all) since I installed the brand spankin' new, well... 12 hour old, preview drivers... almost like AMD botched it moreso than id ('cause they did).

chris_yz80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 chris_yz80
Member since 2004 • 1219 Posts
So basically the consoles being the lowest common denominator resulted in a crappy pc port as is the norm with console to pc ports, nothing new here.
strangeisland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 strangeisland
Member since 2009 • 1153 Posts

correct if me i'm wrong, but didn't the PC start off ID ?

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

strangeisland
Like most third party developers today? Yes.
McTrollington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 McTrollington
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Problem PC gamers?
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#25 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

I think people like the TC should be moderated for false and misleading titles. It feels like flame-bait.

Nowhere in that article did Carmack say that PC is garbage, nor did he say that the console versions are superior.

Vadamee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Vadamee
Member since 2009 • 1195 Posts
PC is like the child bearer of modern game development studios in that it gave them life. Unfortunately the PC has descended to a deadbeat mother which put their child up for adoption. Now the child is doing better than it could have ever done with it's natural mother(PC). :lol: This is the situation id Tech is in
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

[QUOTE="Ikuto_Tsukiyomi"]

Inconsistancy

I don't recall him ever saying it would be 'better', just that it was the focus.

It's not been all that buggy(as in no issues at all) since I installed the brand spankin' new, well... 12 hour old, preview drivers... almost like AMD botched it moreso than id ('cause they did).

they released a new one improves bf3 preformance to and adds eyefinity for bf3 and rage.. fun fact 11.10 rev. 2.0

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#28 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

So he's either saying
1. PC games aren't worth developing cause it costs more than you can make
2. they were trying to get away with this for more money
3. they have been pressured so much to focus on only consoles that it was impossible to make it work as well as you'd expect

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and go with option number 3.
So I turn to the publisher now and say:
If you toss away playercentric design for marketing research you do not create a great game, and as such you won't sell as much. You violated one of the game design commandments. You have been idiots, thank you.

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

Id butthurt no one wants their game, and gamers butthurt Id sucks now.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

We do not see the id Software as the leading FPS developer," gamers said and gaming press agreed. "That statement will enrage Carmack and the rest olf his studio, but it is hard to characterize it otherwise"

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

[QUOTE="Inconsistancy"]

[QUOTE="Ikuto_Tsukiyomi"]

ionusX

they released a new one improves bf3 preformance to and adds eyefinity for bf3 and rage.. fun fact 11.10 rev. 2.0

bf3 beta now just flashes blue alot with the new drivers.
NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11803 Posts

[QUOTE="strangeisland"]

ShadowDeathX

Like most third party developers today? Yes.

And they most likely kick us in the nuts when they go multiplat

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

"We do not see the PC as the leading platform for games," Carmack added. "That statement will enrage some people, but it is hard to characterize it otherwise; both console versions will have larger audiences than the PC version. A high end PC is nearly 10 times as powerful as a console, and we could unquestionably provide a better experience if we chose that as our design point and we were able to expend the same amount of resources on it. Nowadays most of the quality of a game comes from the development effort put into it, not the technology it runs on. A game built with a tenth the resources on a platform 10 times as powerful would be an inferior product in almost all cases."

NerubianWeaver

So, xbox 360 gets the best versions of Witcher 2, Crysis 1 and Rage

And Dark Souls and a infinite ammount of exclusives that PC will never get

The system is simply killer, best console i ever had by miles

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19584 Posts

loosingENDS

Okay, I have an Xbox 360 (which is gathering dust - maybe I should pick up Dark Souls once I'm done with Xenoblade), but I still found that amusing. :lol:

Anyway, I might as well post this fun article: http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=23760.
Headline being "John Carmack: Developing RAGE for consoles was a big mistake, future titles will put priority on PC hardware"

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 NeonNinja

[QUOTE="NerubianWeaver"]

loosingENDS

Where did you read best version of Crysis? ALL the reviews state that Crysis on consoles is inferior to the PC version. Just a quick browse through the MC blurbs does that.

And The Witcher 2 isn't released, but it already has been confirmed to not be receiving any free updates that CD Projekt Red might want to do.

I really like my 360, it is a killer system, but there is no way in hell I would ever say it has the best version of Crysis. That's just a sad joke.

KiZZo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 KiZZo1
Member since 2007 • 3989 Posts

Such a disgrace. This game dropped from my "to buy" list, after I saw the horrible issues with the PC version. I don't want to get it for consoles, PC version should have been superior and the money they saved by botching it will bite them back in sales lost and all the bad PR they are getting ...

Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

Bunch of hasbeens. I can name a ton of better shooter developers than them off the top of my head.

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 loosingENDS

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

[QUOTE="NerubianWeaver"]

NeonNinja

Where did you read best version of Crysis? ALL the reviews state that Crysis on consoles is inferior to the PC version. Just a quick browse through the MC blurbs does that.

And The Witcher 2 isn't released, but it already has been confirmed to not be receiving any free updates that CD Projekt Red might want to do.

I really like my 360, it is a killer system, but there is no way in hell I would ever say it has the best version of Crysis. That's just a sad joke.

Actually the developers themselves said that it is the best Crysis 1 version, with enchanced lighting and effects

I did not say it, the developers did, the ones that made the game

Now if the developers of Crysis are telling sad jokes is another matter

Also 360 will get v2 of Witcher 2 and all DLC until the release, again upgraded comparing to W2 launch game i played on PC

As for the hypothetical DLC i will have to pay for, 1. it does not exist yet and may never exist 2. it may be free 3. it will probably cost very little anyway if it ever comes

edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

Oh damn, this is going to piss the hermits off like no tomorrow.

arkephonic

We got used to it. This hurts more the reputation of ID though. Carmack is not the guy who pushes the boundaries anymore. Rage is good, for a console game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

loosingENDS

Actually the developers themselves said that it is the best Crysis 1 version, with enchanced lighting and effects

Also 360 will get v2 of Witcher 2 and all DLC until the release, again upgraded comparing to W2 launch game i played on PC

As for the hypothetical DLC i will have to pay for, 1. it does not exist yet and may never exist 2. it may be free 3. it will probably cost very little anyway if it ever comes

No body cares what Crytek says anymore, they have lost all their crediblity a while ago. In regards to witcher 2, the 360 version may have the improvments and balance updates compared to the release of the PC version, but guess what? The PC version now has those as well, the 360 version still won't be the better version unless you are comparing it to something that is outdated. And they have already said that they are planning more DLC for tw2
loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 loosingENDS

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

ferret-gamer

No body cares what Crytek says anymore, they have lost all their crediblity a while ago. In regards to witcher 2, the 360 version may have the improvments and balance updates compared to the release of the PC version, but guess what? The PC version now has those as well, the 360 version still won't be the better version unless you are comparing it to something that is outdated. And they have already said that they are planning more DLC for tw2

I wont accept the downplay of Crytek just because they are heavilly on consoles now, Crysis is still one of the best looking games ever on both PC and consoles

As for W2, i compare what people get to play, when i buy a new game i usually play it right away, dont wait many months to see if they come up with some DLC to replay it

The thing is that anyone that buys it on 360 will get the extra DLC day one and will actually play the game with it in the game right away, it wont be like an afterthought

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#42 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

The thing is that anyone that buys it on 360 will get the extra DLC day one and will actually play the game with it in the game right away, it wont be like an afterthought

loosingENDS

So by that logic,the definitive version of Mass Efect is the PC version,eh?(not that anyone didn´t knew that already).

Also,the PC version of Gears of War is also the way to go,not the 360 version,since it has everything the 360 had and even a full complete chapter not available on the 360.

I guess that logic will also apply to LA Noire.

Valiant_Rebel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Valiant_Rebel
Member since 2009 • 4197 Posts

I like how it's automatically Doomsday for PC again. :lol:

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 NeonNinja

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"][QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

loosingENDS

I wont accept the downplay of Crytek just because they are heavilly on consoles now, Crysis is still one of the best looking games ever on both PC and consoles

As for W2, i compare what people get to play, when i buy a new game i usually play it right away, dont wait many months to see if they come up with some DLC to replay it

You don't have to accept anything except for this. When Cervat Yerli says "Our game which was ground-breaking and future-proof in 2007 and broke the best of PCs is now on outdated hardware and guess what? It's the best looking version of our game." It literally translates to, "GET HYPE! BUY BUY BUY BUY!!!!"

The reviews ALL state the same thing: "Crysis is a fantastically designed shooter that everyone should play but is a shadow of the PC version."

Also, accept this: don't listen to corporate BS and take it as fact. The fact is that on a technical level it is impossible for the 360 and PS3 to keep up with the PC.

And as far as TW2. Your comparison is faulty. The Version 2.0 is free on PC. It is the current build of the game and that's what CD Projekt Red is porting to the 360. It doesn't make it the best. The idea of it being an "afterthought" as you put it is ridiculous. It's available on both platforms. One which it was designed for first, the other which it was ported to.

Rage may be better on consoles out of the box, but that's because it was designed for consoles it looks like. The Witcher 2 and Crysis? They've been DOWNGRADED to work on consoles. That's just the way it is. Still good games? Absolutely. Best versions? Keep dreaming.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#45 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="NerubianWeaver"]

loosingENDS

Witcher 2 on 360 is not even out yet and I doubt it, and as for Crysis, it's missing features on 360.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

[QUOTE="NerubianWeaver"]

mitu123

Witcher 2 on 360 is not even out yet and I doubt it, and as for Crysis, it's missing features on 360.

Just ignore him. He is an Xbox 360 fanboy who has been banned here and another site multiple times. You're wasting your time responding to his posts.
dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

To say I'm disappointed with the reports of RAGE's PC issues is an understatement. How can a developer who has almost exclusively developed games for the PC and then ported to consoles drop the ball like this?

Looks like I'll be picking this up for half price in the inevitable Steam sale.

Jane_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Jane_22
Member since 2011 • 678 Posts

I saw a similar theard about rage yesterday saying the same thing about the console version.

System wars exploding lol, anyway, im still gonna play the game on my pc, thank you

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

We do not see the id Software as the leading FPS developer," gamers said and gaming press agreed. "That statement will enrage Carmack and the rest olf his studio, but it is hard to characterize it otherwise"

AdrianWerner

:lol: Hilarious. And so true. Guess he's been to busy making iOS games...:P

KiZZo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 KiZZo1
Member since 2007 • 3989 Posts

loosingENDS

So, the Crysis version with no MP, no mods and inferior graphics is the best?

loosingENDS

Funny thing to say for the system that has the most exclusives.

loosingENDS

That's right, the best you ever HAD, not the best THERE IS.